SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» New strip
Some dont like it, I love it EmptyToday at 4:59 pm by gil t azell

» Keeping spirits up !
Some dont like it, I love it EmptyToday at 8:10 am by Gordon Armstrong

» Happy Birthday
Some dont like it, I love it EmptyYesterday at 9:02 pm by Old Man!

» Salary cap
Some dont like it, I love it EmptyYesterday at 2:45 pm by Kipper

» Well done Jack
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-09, 8:24 pm by cyprussyd

» Meeting Monday
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-08, 8:59 am by cyprussyd

» Eddie Howe
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-07, 9:31 am by Mackemneil

» Who wants to be a millionaire ?
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-06, 6:26 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Well done Harrogate Town!!!
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-05, 5:46 pm by gil t azell

» serious question
Some dont like it, I love it Empty2020-08-04, 10:01 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com

Some dont like it, I love it

Go down

Some dont like it, I love it Empty Some dont like it, I love it

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-06-09, 9:05 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Some dont like it, I love it Empty Re: Some dont like it, I love it

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-06-09, 9:05 am

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-09, 9:58 pm

Nice one, at first I thought it was some new set top box.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-12, 8:45 pm

One of the formative places for a generation of kids.  This place was a source of sustenance during the war years and the food rationing years after it (till 1954).  Crabs, cockles, mussels, etc., were found there.  Also, on Fridays after school, I'd take a brown paper carrier bag along here picking whelks (pronounced 'willicks' - I don't know if they still are).  Willicks were very important to us kids.  Y'see, sweets were very rare.  There were some in shop windows, but to get them required a point or half-point from your mother's ration book.  And she was unlikely to give you those because she had a family to feed.  So Friday night was when she'd pour your bag of willicks into a big pan of boiling salted water and cook them.  Next day, and for several days afterwards, you'd prise the hard cap off the willick with a pin, and then hook him out of the shell very slowly (to get him round the curved shell without breaking him).  Then, with a massive smile, you'd stick him in 'yer gob'.  Very Happy  Those were our 'sweets'.  I've never walked along Roker beach in decades - but I'll never forget it.  Or at least me belly won't!  Ha.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-06-12, 9:04 pm

cuteybuns wrote:One of the formative places for a generation of kids.  This place was a source of sustenance during the war years and the food rationing years after it (till 1954).  Crabs, cockles, mussels, etc., were found there.  Also, on Fridays after school, I'd take a brown paper carrier bag along here picking whelks (pronounced 'willicks' - I don't know if they still are).  Willicks were very important to us kids.  Y'see, sweets were very rare.  There were some in shop windows, but to get them required a point or half-point from your mother's ration book.  And she was unlikely to give you those because she had a family to feed.  So Friday night was when she'd pour your bag of willicks into a big pan of boiling salted water and cook them.  Next day, and for several days afterwards, you'd prise the hard cap off the willick with a pin, and then hook him out of the shell very slowly (to get him round the curved shell without breaking him).  Then, with a massive smile, you'd stick him in 'yer gob'.  Very Happy  Those were our 'sweets'.  I've never walked along Roker beach in decades - but I'll never forget it.  Or at least me belly won't!  Ha.
I have never quite mastered a taste for shell fish but sadly the kids of today would rebel at a day like that let alone a life.

Bedroom with what I believe are called devices, can of coke and bag of crisps today.

Yous sounds a load more exciting to me Cutey

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2014-06-12, 9:06 pm

Funny you mention williocks, Cutey- had many a discussion with Billy who insists on calling them winkles
My dad used to take us willock picking on a Sunday morning after church, and he still takes my niece occasionally - had some freshly picked ones the other week
But whelks to me are something completely different
Mind you love them both - in fact given a choice I could live on shellfish

Willock
Whelk 
Jerry the Jinx
Jerry the Jinx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-12, 9:51 pm

Jerry the Jinx wrote:Funny you mention williocks, Cutey- had many a discussion with Billy who insists on calling them winkles
My dad used to take us willock picking on a Sunday morning after church, and he still takes my niece occasionally - had some freshly picked ones the other week
But whelks to me are something completely different
Mind you love them both - in fact given a choice I could live on shellfish

Willock
Some dont like it, I love it 2Q==
Whelk 
Some dont like it, I love it Z
You daft Mackems, lol.

http://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/shop/winkles-periwinkles.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-12, 11:11 pm

Billy, Billy, what are you doing to my head, man?  Very Happy 

"Winkles are a simple and stylish dish and surprisingly popular. (By the way, the proper name is periwinkle.) These winkles have been cooked before freezing, but you can reheat them briefly. Apply your winklepicker (commonly known as a toothpick) and, with a little twirl - or a big flourish if you like - extract the contents. On the way to your mouth, you might like to dip your winkle into hot butter, mustard or mayonnaise. Accompany with buttered bread. Alternatively, shell winkles in the kitchen and toss into a stir fry or give them a garnishing role in many kinds of fish dishes."

Aye like! - a simple and stylish dish, eh?   Little did we know.  rof 

To be honest, Jerry, I don't remember any distinction being made between whelks and winkles.  If it was curly and off the beach, you ate it.  Adults might have known the difference but I didn't.  The only thing I remember not picking up was a starfish because apparently they stung you.  We had whalemeat once (though we didn't pick it up off the beach!).  I remember my mother buying three slices of it in a butcher's shop down High Street West.  Consistency of steak, but with a fishy flavour.  It was nice, but I don't remember ever having it again.

In the rationing days, the sea was a good friend of Sunderland, food-wise.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-12, 11:22 pm

I love willicks, and still collect them and cook them every now and again...My kids however think they look like snots so won't eat them..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-06-13, 12:23 am

MrRAWhite wrote:I love willicks, and still collect them and cook them every now and again...My kids however think they look like snots so won't eat them..
As a youngan, Saturday morning pictures at the Ritz, 6p entry, and a bag of willicks 6p, heaven, we didnt have money to spare in those days. Feel sorry for kids who dont know any better, My grandson in particular.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum