SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Gossip
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 10:58 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» SunderMad birth
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 10:53 am by Jerry the Jinx

» Got a message about being inactive
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 10:24 am by oxfordshire

» League Table - Mid Week 19
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 9:23 am by gil t azell

» Results Mid Week 19
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 9:20 am by gil t azell

» Results Week 19
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 7:45 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Week 20
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 7:41 am by Exilium

» Kick off times brought forward
change shirts part 2 EmptyToday at 5:22 am by cyprussyd

» Tuesday night ...match day thread
change shirts part 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:55 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Midweek 19
change shirts part 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:23 am by Gordon Armstrong

change shirts part 2

Go down

change shirts part 2 Empty change shirts part 2

Post  oldblackcat on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:43 am

In the 50's Sunderland's regular change shirts were white with a red collar and cuffs but they also wore a few unusual shirts during this decade, some of which I've found pictures of which I can share with you here. First though a picture  of Len Shackleton wearing our regular change shirt

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the 3rd March 1956 Sunderland played Newcastle at St James's in the FA Cup quarter final (2nd replay) wearing an Arsenal type shirt of red with white sleeves while Newcastle wore plain white shirts. The first picture is the crowd invading the pitch after the final whistle you can just make out the shirt (poor quality photo)

and the next shows the lads taking a break from training in the 50's both the regular change shirt and the Arsenal type shirt can be seen (again sorry for the poor quality photo)

I have no picture of the next shirt but maybe it's just as well....On the 27th January 1951 Sunderland played Southampton in the FA Cup. The rules of the competition required both teams to change in the event of a colour clash but both teams alternate kits clashed. The Saints borrowed a set of amber shirts from the Hampshire regiment while Sunderland borrowed Newcastle's black and white stripes. Newcastle played at Bolton that day in our red and white stripes.

The next 2 shirts worn in the 50's are not really change shirts but deserve a mention. The first shirt was worn in a friendly against Dundee on the 10th December for the first match under Roker Parks new floodlights and were described as "flame coloured luminous shirts" (they were also worn in other friendly games under the floodlights) The picture show the team running out

The last shirt was worn on the 11th October 1958 at Ayresome Park against Middlesbrough when Sunderland turned out in red and white shirts but with (shock horror) thin red stripes and unlike recent shirts we've worn there didn't seem to be any complaints about it. The picture shows Hurley and Clough

Next up the 60's

Last edited by oldblackcat on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
oldblackcat
oldblackcat

Gordon Armstrong likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum