SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one

Go down

Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one Empty Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one

Post  Steve30000 on 2021-01-10, 9:57 am

It's as simple as that.
Steve30000
Steve30000
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one Empty Re: Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one

Post  cyprussyd on 2021-01-10, 10:21 am

I listened to Johnson on Sky after yesterday's game and his words impressed me.  Something like he expected the owners to demand him to get the best out of the current squad and his job was to demand that the owners get him better players. 

Sadly it's not quite that easy but I do believe the new system is designed to get those better players. 

IMO it's not major surgery and we have a good squad but. Since Maja and Defoe left we have never had that goal scorer and we all know how hard it is to get them.

I am still very positive,  I like the new manager and structure and the new owner seems to know what he is doing but this window will tell us a lot.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one Empty Re: Spend money to get better players in or we're stuck in league one

Post  oxfordshire on 2021-01-10, 12:55 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I listened to Johnson on Sky after yesterday's game and his words impressed me.  Something like he expected the owners to demand him to get the best out of the current squad and his job was to demand that the owners get him better players. 

Sadly it's not quite that easy but I do believe the new system is designed to get those better players. 

IMO it's not major surgery and we have a good squad but. Since Maja and Defoe left we have never had that goal scorer and we all know how hard it is to get them.

I am still very positive,  I like the new manager and structure and the new owner seems to know what he is doing but this window will tell us a lot.
Agree with you Syd. The match was broadcast on bein sports here but very delayed at 5.10am today uk time so I already knew the result. However I almost believed we could win it on the last 15 minutes. Ha ha.
Impressed with Diamond always trying and using different moves to the others. Caught Hull out a few times by his speed when they thought the ball was going out of play. Mcgeady also had flair. Pity about their goal. In hindsight burge should have been replaced when hurt.
I wondered how we would go with diamond, honeyman and whatmore.
Did LJ hint at his displeasure with Willis and could we see him move on.
Hull have some good players and we could have beaten them with a bit more luck.
In my view, most of our team are too slow to capitalise on diamond's speed and inventiveness. We obviously need to unload several players to make room for some improvements who can play to the LJ system.
Unfortunately over the past 2 or 3 years we have allowed the type of players we are now looking for to move on for little or no recompense. 
Fingers crossed.
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2021-01-10, 1:22 pm

I don’t think spending money is going to be a problem, it’s the wage cap that is killing us. If we have a player on 5k per week, like Grigg, and we sell, we don’t get 5k to spend on wages because existing contracts only count as 2.5k. The more expensive player isn’t going to come for 2.5k.
In fact, in the transition we can keep all players even if there total wage bill is higher than allowed, but once gone you can’t replace them unless you have wages in hand. It’s a crazy system
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Horatiocarter on 2021-01-10, 4:39 pm

But surely we can get better strikers than Grigg and Graham on 1k even
Horatiocarter

gil t azell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2021-01-11, 5:44 pm

Horatiocarter wrote:But surely we can get better strikers than Grigg and Graham on 1k even
Young players get that so a seasoned pro is out of the question on that rate. We need some good loans as I think that is all we can manage within the salary cap.

This shows why: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I notice 12/50 of the top paid players in the league are at Sunderland.

Don't know how accurate it is as I read elsewhere McGeady was on £16k per week, but it would explain why it was hoped he would move on.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve30000 on 2021-01-13, 11:55 am

Mackemneil wrote:I don’t think spending money is going to be a problem, it’s the wage cap that is killing us. If we have a player on 5k per week, like Grigg, and we sell, we don’t get 5k to spend on wages because existing contracts only count as 2.5k. The more expensive player isn’t going to come for 2.5k.
In fact, in the transition we can keep all players even if there total wage bill is higher than allowed, but once gone you can’t replace them unless you have wages in hand. It’s a crazy system

There's nothing wrong with the fair play system in place now, without this stupid salary cap rule.

Its penalising us just because we can afford to pay players more and tempt better players here.

How dare we!
Steve30000
Steve30000
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2021-01-13, 12:31 pm

I'm sure that many of these schemes were brought in to stop the Man Cities of this world from using rich mens wealth from having an unfair advantage. 
But as usually happens the rich kids find ways round it and the lower leagues pay the price

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2021-01-14, 1:09 pm

This is worse than I thought!!

How does the ridiculous EFL salary cap work?

The EFL salary cap comes into effect immediately and covers wages, image rights, bonuses, taxes and agents’ fees.
It means League One clubs cannot pay over £2.5m on player expenses in a season, while League Two clubs are capped at £1m.
This averages out at around £1,700 per player per week in League One and £1,000 per player per week in League Two.
To solve the issue of clubs currently paying in excess of the caps, the EFL will not account for any wages players earn over each league’s average salary.
So, if a player currently earns £3,000 a week at Ipswich, then only £1,700 of his wage would be recorded for the cap.
Should Ipswich eventually want to renew his contract, the new wages would have to fully fit within Ipswich’s limit.
It may take two or three years for all current player contracts to expire, at which point all clubs will be officially under the cap.
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2021-01-15, 2:36 am

Mackemneil wrote:

This is worse than I thought!!

How does the ridiculous EFL salary cap work?

The EFL salary cap comes into effect immediately and covers wages, image rights, bonuses, taxes and agents’ fees.
It means League One clubs cannot pay over £2.5m on player expenses in a season, while League Two clubs are capped at £1m.
This averages out at around £1,700 per player per week in League One and £1,000 per player per week in League Two.
To solve the issue of clubs currently paying in excess of the caps, the EFL will not account for any wages players earn over each league’s average salary.
So, if a player currently earns £3,000 a week at Ipswich, then only £1,700 of his wage would be recorded for the cap.
Should Ipswich eventually want to renew his contract, the new wages would have to fully fit within Ipswich’s limit.
It may take two or three years for all current player contracts to expire, at which point all clubs will be officially under the cap.

A few more WAGS on the books or holidays abroad  tongue

As an American would say 'Just do it' or in English, an 'Everton'  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Horatiocarter on 2021-01-16, 9:16 am

Horatiocarter wrote:But surely we can get better strikers than Grigg and Graham on 1k even

Hieronymus wrote:Young players get that so a seasoned pro is out of the question on that rate.

Jack Diamond listed as £610 per week. I know who I prefer.
Horatiocarter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2021-01-16, 3:19 pm

Horatiocarter wrote:

Hieronymus wrote:Young players get that so a seasoned pro is out of the question on that rate.

Jack Diamond listed as £610 per week. I know who I prefer.
He won't be on that for much longer, my worry is whether it will be with Sunderland Shocked
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Horatiocarter on 2021-01-16, 6:38 pm

Horatiocarter wrote:Jack Diamond listed as £610 per week. I know who I prefer.

Hieronymus wrote:He won't be on that for much longer, my worry is whether it will be with Sunderland

If he had been at a lower club he would probably have signed with us for £1000 a week, which is my point. I also think the new owner will do all he can to retain him.
Horatiocarter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum