SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

change shirts part 1

Go down

change shirts part 1 Empty change shirts part 1

Post  oldblackcat on 2021-01-01, 1:20 pm

Nowadays teams having change shirts are the norm, some teams having a third or even a special kit to play in europe and most teams change their shirts every season. Frustrating and costly if you're a parent buying an up to date shirt for your youngster, seems if you delve into the past Sunderland were partly responsible/involved for change shirts to be introduced.

In September 1890 Wolves travelled to Sunderland and both teams turned out in their colours of red and white stripes (Wolves were instructed to wear their white dress shirts they had travelled to the game in for the match). To avoid a repetition the Football League ruled that next season no two member clubs could register similar colours so as to avoid further clashes.(next season Wolves registered blue and orange  but then changed to old gold and black). This rule was abandoned when the 2nd Division was introduced in 1892 and it became a requirement that each club should have a set of white tops to be worn when colours clashed (presumably those that wore white would have a coloured alternative). Initially the home team were required to change colours in the event of a colour clash, however this rule was amended in 1921 when the away team were required to change.

When you look into the past Sunderland have worn various coloured change shirts and in further posts I will try and show some on here. One unusual shirt I came across is the one in the pictures below, it came about on the 18th February 1930. When Sunderland turned up at Nottingham Forest for the 1929-30 FA Cup tie there was an objection to Sunderland wearing red and white stripes so they borrowed these shirts which were white with a red chevron.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

next up change shirts of the 50's Smile
oldblackcat
oldblackcat

cyprussyd and gil t azell like this post

Back to top Go down

change shirts part 1 Empty Re: change shirts part 1

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2021-01-01, 2:01 pm

This is a great idea for a thread, marra Wink
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

gil t azell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2021-01-01, 9:12 pm

I love it when OBC does these posts on footballing history - have learned a lot - please continue! Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Exilium likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2021-01-02, 6:04 am

Hieronymus wrote:I love it when OBC does these posts on footballing history - have learned a lot - please continue! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Exilium on 2021-01-02, 12:11 pm

Football's heraldry !

Exilium
Exilium
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2021-01-03, 12:34 pm

Hieronymus wrote:I love it when OBC does these posts on footballing history - have learned a lot - please continue! Very Happy
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum