SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Peterborough United
serious question EmptyToday at 3:22 pm by Kipper

» Seems you are not alone Gill
serious question EmptyToday at 8:35 am by cyprussyd

» No live football for us this year
serious question EmptyYesterday at 10:45 pm by cyprussyd

» Maybe we owe Camp an apology
serious question EmptyYesterday at 7:47 pm by gil t azell

» wine and vaux
serious question Empty2020-09-21, 8:23 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» brighton
serious question Empty2020-09-21, 8:05 pm by Exilium

» Oxford United v Sunderland AFC
serious question Empty2020-09-21, 9:46 am by Kipper

» The SunderMad barometer.
serious question Empty2020-09-19, 5:18 pm by cyprussyd

» Week 2
serious question Empty2020-09-19, 3:02 pm by Hieronymus

» Sue Barker leaving BBC's A Question of Sport after 24 years
serious question Empty2020-09-19, 1:48 pm by barrowmackem

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

serious question

Go down

serious question Empty serious question

Post  barrowmackem on 2020-08-03, 12:09 pm

Newcastle and Sunderland are up for sale, both clubs are similar in stature and fanbase. Yes one is in the premier but why would you pay top dollar for one when you can get the other for pittance? Am i missing something?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

serious question Empty Re: serious question

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-03, 2:29 pm

You don't seem to be missing anything as far as this subject is concerned [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Having said that, as you mentioned on the other thread, you are missing something if you think that Harrogate v Barrow will be a 'derby' match [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2020-08-03, 2:32 pm

Premier league is the value, one is there with everything in place for progress. An historical city centre stadium in the premier north east city. Top 6 potential with right investment and massive fan base.

The other is a modern industrial estate stadium with a short term history of failure, no premier league income and success will take them to championship and maybe premiership at some stage.

And I am a Sunderland fan.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

gil t azell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-03, 3:14 pm

One is a historical city centre stadium that looks like a scrapyard and is in a poor state of repair that needs substantial investment to modernise/update it, on ground that the club doesn't even own in a big, well known north east city. It has a massive fan base and top 6 potential with the right investment, but it would cost 'top dollar' to buy, so, comparatively speaking, it hasn't got massive potential.

The other is a modern industrial estate stadium with a short term history of failure, but absolutely massive potential (for development around the stadium, too) because of it's relatively very low purchase price compared to others. No premier league revenue/income, but initial success will take them to the Championship and very possibly to the Premiership with the right ownership, vision and management.

One is an opportunity to build on something already at a high level, and the other is a massive opportunity, at a fraction of the cost of the other one, to go down in history for seeing and delivering the potential that is obvious Wink

I'm a Sunderland fan, too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How's that for different perspective !
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

Sid MCFC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2020-08-03, 4:44 pm

Well if you relate the question of take overs to the team from Manchester and the one from Stretford I think Sunderland is a far better option.  

Albeit both teams were in the prem the gap was vast.  One team had untold revenue, large but dump of a stadium,  unbelievably successful and fans throughout the world.  

The other team had a small revenue in comparison,  new stadium,  not won anything for 34 years, and the fans are local and not wankers.

The investment put into City (and recruiting good staff) created success that reflects directly on the owner which surely must mean a lot to him.  Any buyer going for the other team would only copy many years of success so I suggest the main reason for buying it would be for the cash. ie The Glazers.

Sunderland has always been a big club with proper fans and the fact that you aren’t in the prem should to the right owner appear to be a better option.   Oh and can you imagine anybody with any nounce wanting to have any business dealings with Mr Ashley.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2020-08-03, 5:19 pm

Gordon Armstrong wrote:One is a historical city centre stadium that looks like a scrapyard and is in a poor state of repair that needs substantial investment to modernise/update it, on ground that the club doesn't even own in a big, well known north east city. It has a massive fan base and top 6 potential with the right investment, but it would cost 'top dollar' to buy, so, comparatively speaking, it hasn't got massive potential.

The other is a modern industrial estate stadium with a short term history of failure, but absolutely massive potential (for development around the stadium, too) because of it's relatively very low purchase price compared to others. No premier league revenue/income, but initial success will take them to the Championship and very possibly to the Premiership with the right ownership, vision and management.

One is an opportunity to build on something already at a high level, and the other is a massive opportunity, at a fraction of the cost of the other one, to go down in history for seeing and delivering the potential that is obvious Wink

I'm a Sunderland fan, too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How's that for different perspective !

Sid MCFC wrote:Well if you relate the question of take overs to the team from Manchester and the one from Stretford I think Sunderland is a far better option.  

Albeit both teams were in the prem the gap was vast.  One team had untold revenue, large but dump of a stadium,  unbelievably successful and fans throughout the world.  

The other team had a small revenue in comparison,  new stadium,  not won anything for 34 years, and the fans are local and not wankers.

The investment put into City (and recruiting good staff) created success that reflects directly on the owner which surely must mean a lot to him.  Any buyer going for the other team would only copy many years of success so I suggest the main reason for buying it would be for the cash. ie The Glazers.

Sunderland has always been a big club with proper fans and the fact that you aren’t in the prem should to the right owner appear to be a better option.   Oh and can you imagine anybody with any nounce wanting to have any business dealings with Mr Ashley.
We all have opinions and I always try to keep mine honest and try not to let them be swayed by club elegance.

I worked for NUFC at St James Park and in all honesty always found it a impressive stadium, I can only assume that Gordon visits very posh scrap yards.

When nit comes to potential all I ask is what is the easiest step, not easy but easiest.

To go from 13th to 6th in the premier league or from 7th in Division 1 to 6th in the premier league?

What do you get in TV income for 13th premier and what for 7th div 1.

Investment around SoL, so far a swimming pool, hotel and car show room closed.
St James already there, China Town, Eldon Square, Pubs and Restaurants.

I stick t my original opinion because its the correct one.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-03, 5:38 pm

How does this banning work, Sydney Smile
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

gil t azell and Sid MCFC like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2020-08-03, 6:38 pm

Gordon Armstrong wrote:How does this banning work, Sydney Smile
You just go on to sid's profile and hit the ban button but he cant be banned for being from Manchester, he will take you to court

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2020-08-03, 6:45 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
You just go on to sid's profile and hit the ban button but he cant be banned for being from Manchester, he will take you to court
I think Gordon’s talking about both of us mate.   Crying or Very sad
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-03, 7:36 pm

Sydney knows who I'm talking about Smile

What about just a warning and points deduction Wink

Last edited by Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-04, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2020-08-04, 7:33 am

Due to the freehold assets & lower purchase price it'd be SAFC all day for me as opposed to NUFC. Less outlay for a far greater potential return even when factoring Covid & TV rights etc. into the equation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2020-08-04, 8:56 am

Different words, but that's almost exactly what I said 😃
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2020-08-04, 9:48 am

cyprussyd wrote:
do we have a yellow card, red card system?
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2020-08-04, 9:54 am

cyprussyd wrote:Premier league is the value, one is there with everything in place for progress. An historical city centre stadium in the premier north east city. Top 6 potential with right investment and massive fan base.

The other is a modern industrial estate stadium with a short term history of failure, no premier league income and success will take them to championship and maybe premiership at some stage.

And I am a Sunderland fan.
agree Syd. Probably both are reasonable value for money. One club is already there and the other may never get back to there. Most clubs in my view are a terrible investment so do most investors who have the money want the prestige and excitement of big lead football and eurpean involvement maybe. They almost certainly don't make money.
I also am a Sunderland fan.
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2020-08-04, 10:01 pm

oxfordshire wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
do we have a yellow card, red card system

Yes but only VAR for aggrieved Australian based teams requiring assistance Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum