SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Latest topics
» David Moyes
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 7:18 pm by oldblackcat

» Kristjaan Speakman
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 6:48 pm by Kipper

» Week 12
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 4:59 pm by Terrapinic

» League Table - Mid Week 11
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 4:16 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Results Mid Week 11
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 4:10 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Results Mid Week 10 & Week 11
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 4:06 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» EFL agree rescue package amounting to £250m
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 2:26 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland v Wigan
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 1:10 pm by barrowmackem

» Watmore
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 1:09 pm by barrowmackem

» BOOKIES FAVOURITES
SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EmptyToday at 6:01 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS

Go down

SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS Empty SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-18, 10:43 am

SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS

Sunderland AFC is to welcome two new non-executive directors to the club.

David Jones, presenter of Sky Sports flagship Super Sunday and Monday Night Football programmes and Tom Sloanes, commercial director (Exchange) at GVC Group, one of the world’s largest sports-betting and gaming groups, will join following EFL approval.
David, as well as his high-profile role at Sky Sports, was previously a director at Oxford United for three years.
Tom has worked closely with Sunderland AFC for the last two years in his senior role with the club’s principal partner BETDAQ and brings with him many years of top-level commercial experience.
Speaking about the appointments, chairman Stewart Donald said: “We warmly welcome David and Tom to the club. As lifelong Sunderland fans, they share a tremendous passion for the football club and bring with them a wealth of football knowledge and commercial experience.”
David Jones said: “I was honoured to accept Stewart Donald’s invitation to join the board. As a supporter of over 35 years, the club has always been close to my heart and I’ll do everything I can to help it get back to where it belongs - and the sooner the better.
“Naturally I am acutely aware of how the football club is woven into the very fabric of the city and its people, so bringing success back to Sunderland is so important on many levels and I can’t wait to get started.”
Tom Sloanes said: “From a young lad playing for Sunderland Boys, to sealing the deal to bring in BETDAQ as the club’s shirt sponsor, Sunderland has been a significant part of my life for over 50 years.
1/2

“I care deeply and passionately about this football club. I understand the commercial side of football, but I also understand the emotional side of being a Sunderland fan and to be able to be in a position to help it to move forward is hugely exciting for me.”

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS Empty Re: SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS

Post  wanderer on 2019-12-18, 11:09 am

And will that help with a push for promotion  yel
wanderer
wanderer
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS Empty Re: SAFC APPOINTS TWO NEW NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-12-18, 11:33 am

Well at least they are SAFC through and through - many have said the Board needed more of that sort of input. Good luck to them.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-18, 11:36 am

wanderer wrote:And will that help with a push for promotion  yel
It may just help take some of the weight off Donald and it brings in fresh faces and ideas so all god for me.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-12-18, 6:08 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
It may just help take some of the weight off Donald and it brings in fresh faces and ideas so all god for me.
Would seem that way Syd.

Wanderer, Obviously you are not impressed so who would you appoint?

Back to top Go down

Post  wanderer on 2019-12-18, 6:25 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Would seem that way Syd.

I would have been more impressed if we had announced x or y (player) was set to sign 1st Jan. Rather than a board member.
wanderer
wanderer
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-12-19, 12:25 am

perhaps one of them could fill in at right back? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-12-19, 8:34 am

wanderer wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Would seem that way Syd.

I would have been more impressed if we had announced x or y (player) was set to sign 1st Jan. Rather than a board member.
So no idea then.

Back to top Go down

Post  wanderer on 2019-12-19, 8:57 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
wanderer wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Would seem that way Syd.

So no idea then.
The choice of board member is ok by me, my priority though is squad improvement. If you are provoking an argument, sorry not interested.
wanderer
wanderer
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-19, 9:24 am

No argument from me either just an opinion and why I am delighted with this news.

This season so far has been all about failure on the pitch and people leaving us off the pitch. Donald has become an increasingly lone figure and IMO everyone needs help, advice and support. These appointments for me are the start of moving forward again, new blood,  new ideas and from two Sunderland fans, not investors who want to be fans but real life time fans.

The managers future and January transfer business will define our season, we now have two new and influential voices to give input into those decisions.

I am also being dragged down by the never ending bad news so a bit of good news is very welcome.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-19, 11:37 am

[size=15]Tom Sloanes

@tomsafc

·
14h

[/size]

As a Sunderland lad & lifetime
@SunderlandAFC
supporter, it is a privilege & honour to be invited to work alongside
@DavidJonesSky
& the SAFC Board. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Thanks for the messages lets "Keep The Red Flag Flying High

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  paddocklad on 2019-12-19, 12:40 pm

It’s good news for me both have the club at heart and not afraid to offer an opinion 👍👍
paddocklad
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-12-19, 6:15 pm

wanderer wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
wanderer wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Would seem that way Syd.

So no idea then.
The choice of board member is ok by me, my priority though is squad improvement. If you are provoking an argument, sorry not interested.
Nah, not at all. Ex-players/legends aka SKP/Quin are often mentioned as the 'Next Big thing' that will turn the club around so I thought you might know of people from 'Left right outfield' so to speak along the same vein of thought for the boardroom.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-19, 7:15 pm

[size=50]'He wants to be challenged' - David Jones on working with Stewart Donald, his Sunderland role and what fans can expect[/size]

[size=30]After his appointment as non-executive director, David Jones speaks to the Echo about his new role and determination to help Sunderland turn things around[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
By Phil Smith
Thursday, 19th December 2019, 3:57 pm

One of the first conversations David Jones had yesterday was with his Dad.
He was, not surprisingly, one of many keen to spell out to Sunderland’s new non-executive director just what had gone wrong.
Jones has lived and breathed Sunderland for over 35 years and it explains why, at its lowest ebb, he has answered the call to try and do something about it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" alt="" />[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sunderland AFC executive director David Jones

It’s a tall order, a club in need of significant attention in the short term and a more coherent strategy in the long term.
His role will be limited, balanced against his significant commitments in his role as a Sky Sports presenter.
On Wearside to begin assessing the situation, he is keen to stress that he has no magic wand, no instant cure.
His role will be to challenge, to ask questions, and to ensure the club is making the right decisions for now and for the future.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" alt="" />[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sunderland AFC executive director David Jones
The exact scope is not yet defined, but it’s a role he executed successfully at Oxford United, working closely with then-chairman Darryl Eales.
“It’s all happened very quickly,” he explains.
“Stewart and I had a sort of very occasional dialogue over the time that he has been here. I’d met him a few times while I was at director at Oxford.

“When he took over the club I was hugely surprised and did reach out to say that I’d be delighted to help if I could.
“I was just leaving Oxford and so it seemed like a natural fit in that sense.
“He had his own way of doing things and wanted to go with his own team, which has obviously changed in recent weeks, and I think that he felt there were some gaps that needed filling.

“I won’t be here on a day-to-day basis, that’s the honest answer,” he adds.
“I have a job with Sky and Stewart is very aware that is my priority. I’m a non-executive, which means I have in essence a part-time role here, I don’t want people to have false sense of what I’m doing.
“I’m not coming in on a white horse, to be here 24/7.
“I will help in any area that I can but it’s fair to say that my priority will be on the sporting side, and others will take care of the commercial and business side.

“We’ve spoken about structures around the first team, the academy, recruitment, and I think they probably all need addressing.
“It’s something we did at Oxford and I think I’m in a good position to help in that sense.
“We desperately need to create an environment where, players, managers and coaches can be successful.
“It’s not been that way for such a long time, I’ve sat on the outside like any other fan and thought, something needs to be addressed here.

“I’m in a position to do that now and hopefully I can.”
His arrival is a significant boost for Donald at a time when his ownership has been criticised more heavily than at any time during his tenure.
A wretched run of form on the pitch has coincided with growing concerns about its trajectory off it.
It’s a fraught time for Jones to arrive and he is putting his reputation on the line.

To that end, he is clear.
Discussions with Donald have left him confident and assured that his voice will be heard and that the response to his ideas will be receptive.
He insists he ‘won’t be here very long’ if that proves not to be the case.
“At this stage, it’s the only club I would have done it for,” he says.

“I’ve got a great job which I’m very passionate about, a family that I love spending time with.
“So to pull me away for any length of time, it was going to take something pretty big, and there’s no other club that would have done that.
“Plus, I think I can help, I think I can have an impact. If I can’t, I won’t be here for very long.
“Stewart is aware of that and to his credit, I think that is why he got me in,” he adds.

“I think he’s the kind of guy who likes to be challenged, and he will know that there’s an awful lot at stake for me personally. This is the football club I’ve supported for over 35 years, I’m not coming into this lightly because I don’t want to spoil that relationship that I have with the club and the fans.
“But it’s very clear to me and I’m sure that it’s clear to Stewart as well, if I don’t have the impact that I want to have, I won’t be here very long.
“This is not a vanity project for me, I’m coming in to try and help.
“If I don’t feel I can, I won’t be here very long.”

An upcoming January window presents neat summation of where Jones will try to have an impact.
Jones will meet with Head of Recruitment Tony Coton and manager Phil Parkinson this afternoon [Thursday] to discuss the plans for a crucial window.
Beyond that, he will work to ensure there is a long-term strategy to recruitment.
Coton operated with threadbare resources for his first year in the job but recently saw his scouting network expanded.

Jones will take a keen interest in that, his goal to try and bring ‘best practice’ to the club’s sporting operations.
“I’m under no illusions as to why I’m here now, because the club are 12th in League One,” he says.
“If we were in the Championship, I wouldn’t have got the call.
“We’re ten days or so before the opening of the transfer window and we need to make sure we’re not making mistakes.

“The first team needs bodies and it needs strengthening, but it has to be done in a structured way, which is hopefully the first thing that I can help with.
“In the longer term, as part of the club’s fall down the leagues, a lot has been stripped away and people know that, and we need to put building blocks in place to make sure that Sunderland is that at the top of people’s list.
“I’ll meet Tony Coton at the Academy today.
“I’ve spent time on the phone with Phil and after training today we’ll sit down and talk about that strategy.

“I want to bring best practice to our football club in every single area.
“The academy, the recruitment team, the scouting network.
“All that then feeds into having a first team that fans can be proud of.
“Hopefully we came inroads slowly but surely, while knowing that team is not on our side.

“I don’t have a magic wand, as much I’d love one, but I have their best interests and the football club’s best interests at heart with every single decision that I make.”
The response from supporters has been a reflection of the esteem in which he has held and as he gets to work there are both nerves and excitement.
“I’ve been completely bewildered and blown over [by the reaction], to be honest,” he says.
“I didn’t expect that.

“I know what this football club means, I’ve lived and breathed it for all this time and I just hope “I can help bring smiles back to the fans faces, because they are the biggest asset this club has.
“What I’d like to do is help change the narrative.
“This club and the fans have been like a kicking ball in the media and in football for far too long.
“They’re the biggest asset and if we can get things driving forward, I’ve seen what the momentum can do here.

“It doesn’t much to get that snowball rolling and once it does, there won’t be much stopping it.”

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-12-19, 8:16 pm

Well that reads well and we can only hope this is the turning point we have all been waiting for Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-12-20, 3:48 am

Hieronymus wrote:Well that reads well and we can only hope this is the turning point we have all been waiting for Very Happy

...and thanks Syd for the update  santa

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-12-20, 9:37 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:Well that reads well and we can only hope this is the turning point we have all been waiting for Very Happy

Its very difficult to be positive about anything right now, I understand that but this IMO must be a big positive step.

Yes talk is cheap but at least it good positive talk, the sort fans have been asking for.

Earlier in this post someone asked will it get us a new player, well reading the article the aim is not just to get us new players but better fit players.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-12-21, 12:01 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Its very difficult to be positive about anything right now, I understand that but this IMO must be a big positive step.

Yes talk is cheap but at least it good positive talk, the sort fans have been asking for.

Earlier in this post someone asked will it get us a new player, well reading the article the aim is not just to get us new players but better fit players.
Exactly Syd. 

Kia Kaha (Be strong).  sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum