SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND BRING FORMER WOLVES DEFENDER IN FOR TRIAL
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 5:03 pm by Exilium

» Midweek 7
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 11:16 am by Lever Malone

» Sunderland v Portsmouth
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 10:47 am by Exilium

» Sunderland chief issues takeover update at Stadium of Light
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 2:40 am by oxfordshire

» 1st round of the FA Cup - The Draw - Tis Mansfield for SAFC
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» Rochdale v Sunderland
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyToday at 2:12 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Week 8
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyYesterday at 4:51 pm by gil t azell

» League Table - Week 7
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyYesterday at 4:48 pm by gil t azell

» Results Mid Week 6
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyYesterday at 4:47 pm by gil t azell

» Results Week 7
Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint EmptyYesterday at 4:46 pm by gil t azell

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint

Go down

Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint Empty Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint

Post  Guest on 2015-08-17, 12:00 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/16/sunderland-dick-advocaat-cannot-go-on-norwich-city

Sorry I cannot copy a very interesting article about the mess at SOL. The above link will get you there.

Back to top Go down

Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint Empty Re: Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-08-17, 12:15 pm

lesmac wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry I cannot copy a very interesting article about the mess at SOL. The above link will get you there.
Here you go! Good to see you posting Les, even if this article brings back the horror of Saturday, Seems like even Luoise Taylor has lost patience with SAFC now Shocked

Sunderland’s Dick Advocaat: I cannot go on this way and we must find a solution
Sunderland 1 - 3 Norwich
Premier League
Stadium of Light

Manager hints he may not hang around because ‘I don’t like what I see’ 
Norwich City could have scored more goals, says Nathan Redmond

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dick Advocaat changed his mind about retiring in the summer and extended his deal as manager of Sunderland. 
Photograph: Lindsey Parnaby/AFP/Getty Images
Louise Taylor at the Stadium of Light
Sunday 16 August 2015 22.30 BST Last modified on Monday 17 August 2015 00.00 BST

History has a habit of repeating itself – but rarely with the debilitating frequency experienced at Sunderland. The cycle goes like this: the team struggles to the point where relegation seems inevitable, the manager is sacked, a replacement parachuted in and the Championship somehow averted. Shortly afterwards, the players regress into bad habits and what has become an alarmingly recurring theme continues.
Martin O’Neill, Paolo Di Canio and Gus Poyet have all fallen victim to the syndrome and now even Dick Advocaat is experiencing it. The difference today is that, unless things change radically, the 67-year-old former Holland coach is unlikely to hang around waiting to be dismissed a few months down the line.
“I cannot go on this way,” he said in the aftermath of Sunderland’s second abject surrender of the new season. “We have to find a solution one way or the other.”
A solution good enough to satisfy Advocaat that he made the right call in reversing an earlier decision to retire this summer will surely need to be twofold. First, Ellis Short, Sunderland’s owner, appears in acute danger of losing yet another coach unless he heeds Advocaat’s warning that the team requires significant strengthening before the transfer window closes.
Second, the manager will require a response from his existing squad. He and the players convened for a “crisis meeting” on Sunday in the wake of two atrocious performances. “If we keep playing this way then we have no chance at all,” said Advocaat, whose side opened the campaign with a 4-2 defeat at Leicester.
“I don’t like what I see. It’s like another team from the final eight games of last season. With all respect, even this team should be strong enough to get a good result against Norwich. They need a different mentality.”
So what is the precise problem? Advocaat has a pretty good idea, which, on Saturday evening, he seemed anxious to mull over with his board. “I have to be a little bit diplomatic,” he said. “I have a feeling, an idea but I have to discuss it with other people.”
It does not take too great a leap of imagination to suspect he might advise Short, Margaret Byrne, the chief executive, and Lee Congerton, the sporting director, to try to ship out certain players. The dressing room gained perhaps unhealthy power when, two years ago, a cabal of senior professionals persuaded Byrne that Di Canio needed sacking.
Unfortunately, offloading players will not be easy as they command big money at Sunderland – incredibly, the club has the eighth highest wage bill in the Premier League. This partly explains why their net spend this summer – about £6m – is the division’s lowest. Short frets about complying with financial fair play but, without splashing the cash, it is hard to imagine relegation being dodged just as a gargantuan new top-tier television deal kicks in.
For the first time, the fans turned on Short on Saturday. No matter that the American financier was elsewhere, those in the 41,379 crowd who had not walked out chorused: “Are you watching, Ellis Short?”
Their remarkable loyalty has been stretched to the limit. Small wonder they could not take the sight of the excellent Nathan Redmond and Robbie Brady strutting their stuff as a collectively impressive Norwich City cantered to victory, courtesy of goals from Russell Martin, Steven Whittaker and Redmond. A consolation scored by Duncan Watmore, making his debut from the bench, served as a mere academic footnote.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Russell Martin strike sets Norwich on path to crushing win at Sunderland

Some wretched defending played a big part, with Patrick van Aanholt, shocking at left-back, the principal culprit. Alongside him, Younès Kaboul was almost as bad, while in midfield Lee Cattermole had another stinker.
In contrast, Alex Neil’s side were a good half a yard sharper and, significantly, brimmed over with the sort of invention and intelligence a mentally lazy Sunderland have long lacked. “We’re not functioning as a team,” conceded the worldly-wise Advocaat. “We do things I don’t expect at this level. It is very strange for me.”
With better luck, Neil’s highly effective unit could conceivably have scored three more goals. “Yes, we felt that,” said Redmond when the England Under-21 creator was asked if he believed his side might have run riot. “It was there for us.”
Indictments rarely come more damning. The overwhelming suspicion is that years of complacency and arrogance have corroded Sunderland’s mindset. Radical, and rapid, change appears imperative.

Man of the match Nathan Redmond (Norwich City)
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint Empty Re: Sunderland AFC: The Guardian's viewpoint

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-08-17, 12:23 pm

Cant argue with any of that and it seems to be the latest of a recurring crunch time but this could be the most important.

Advocaat leaving is not the problem, who would come in and how can they succeed is.

Maybe we cant sim ply ship out the bad eggs, we can however keep them away from the good ones.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-08-17, 12:37 pm

Louise Taylor followed up her report of the game with this piece in "10 talking points from the weekend's action" Interesting that she appears to read fans forums. Wonder if she is signed up on here and reads our opinions as well as the SMB?

Anyway Louise is not wrong in what she says. The fan's patience has definitely snapped. We may even be starting to talk "boycoutts" before long! Although I think what someone suggested yesterday (on here or on SMB not sure) might be the way forward. Just stop buying any merchandise. Don't go in the fanzone. Don't buy food and drink in the ground. Then we choose a home game when we know Short is attending to protest by staying outside for 15 mins from the start of a match so the ground is empty when the team comes out. That would get us noticed and is less ridicule inducing than walkouts after the 3rd opposition goal goes in, which just shows we have given up as much as the team. The club has to stop taking us for granted. The time for change is NOW!

3) Short, Byrne and Congerton must explain themselves

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Sunderland’s owner Ellis Short. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images
There was a thread on Ready to Go, a leading Sunderland fans’ forum entitled: “Ellis Short - just as bad as Mike Ashley” on Sunday. It appeared less than 24 hours after those fans who had not walked out of the Stadium of Light in disgust at Sunderland’s 3-1 surrender to Norwich chanted: “Are you watching Ellis Short.” After spending the past few seasons watching almost uniformly atrocious football they are desperate for an owner who has spent a mere £6m net this summer to invest in an inadequate squad. The depth of their frustration has sparked a debate in which some Sunderland fans are now saying the unthinkable and suggesting Newcastle’s Ashley might just be a better owner than Short. Many would still disagree but, before the situation spirals out of control, the American financier could do worse than break his long media silence and answering the questions supporters are asking. The same goes for Margaret Byrne, the chief executive, and Lee Congerton, the sporting director. A crowd in excess of 41,000 turned out for the Norwich game. Considering the team’s recent history that is remarkable but fans’ patience is wearing thin and their enduring loyalty can no longer be taken for granted. Louise Taylor
 Advocaat ‘shocked’ by performance in Norwich defeat
 Match report: Sunderland 1-3 Norwich
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum