SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
SunderMad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sunderland AFC League 1
FcTables.com
Latest topics
» Rochdale v Sunderland
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 6:39 pm by cyprussyd

» SUNDERLAND BRING FORMER WOLVES DEFENDER IN FOR TRIAL
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 5:03 pm by Exilium

» Midweek 7
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 11:16 am by Lever Malone

» Sunderland v Portsmouth
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 10:47 am by Exilium

» Sunderland chief issues takeover update at Stadium of Light
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 2:40 am by oxfordshire

» 1st round of the FA Cup - The Draw - Tis Mansfield for SAFC
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyToday at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» Week 8
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyYesterday at 4:51 pm by gil t azell

» League Table - Week 7
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyYesterday at 4:48 pm by gil t azell

» Results Mid Week 6
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyYesterday at 4:47 pm by gil t azell

» Results Week 7
Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread EmptyYesterday at 4:46 pm by gil t azell

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.

Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread Empty Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-09, 8:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yes I know its over a week away and we have a few international games before we should look at our game but the internationals fail to excite me.

So early thoughts, well I doubt if anyone will be shocked to see us with the same starting 11 and subs, but it is Gus we are talking about.

I think it was O'Shea who said that Gus likes to pick teams for games so no shock to see the same team but no surprise to see changes either.

It would be a major shock and surprise to see anything but..

MANNONE
JONES..VERGINI..OSHEA..VAN AANHOLT

Like wise to see either Wickham or Fletcher missing would stun most if not all.

Cattermole will be there so we are down to 3 from Larsson, Buckley, Gomez, Bridcutt, Johnson and Rodwell!

Bridcutt could come in alongside Cattermole to stifle The Saints attack, or either Jonson, Rodwell or both come back in.

TBH its been a long time since we have had such positive options IMO.

I say again I cant see any changes from last week, barring injury but, you just never know with Gus.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2014-10-18, 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

https://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread Empty Re: Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread

Post  Guest on 2014-10-09, 2:18 pm

Southampton are a fit team so we need to keep our options open based on fitness so keep a full change of like for like if possible.
Defence does pick itself and likewise Keeper however, will Gus go with 1 up top as we are away from home or stick with Whickham and Fletcher? Also if he does go 1 up who gets the hook? my choice would be go for the throat with both on from the start and, try to catch them on the hop with a couple of quick goals (hopefully).
Midfield for me would be Catts and Rodwell with Buckley and Johnson.
Strange game this one I think Southampton have hit a bit of luck in previous games and, will start to drop slightly hopefully against us. Having said that I think this will be a draw 1-1 again.

Back to top Go down

Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread Empty Re: Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread

Post  Guest on 2014-10-09, 2:51 pm

Very tough test for us this one, and if we come away from there with a point I would be more than happy...A win however and I'll be... yipeee dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-09, 3:04 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:Very tough test for us this one, and if we come away from there with a point I would be more than happy...A win however and I'll be... yipeee dancer
 Not quite sure what the style of play Southampton adopt, but if iirc correctly they have pace.

So will we go and play one up front (this contradicts the idea that Fletcher and Wickham will play together again, I know) this is the first decision Poyet has to make.
I shall assume same back four with Catts the DM.

If Gus he wants to be defensive he will pick Bridcutt to play instead of Buckley or Wickham. Until we can find someone else Seb is likely to play cos it seems nobody else is capable of taking good deadball kicks.

Get Fletcher/Wickham to start and the other comes on later with the first one has run himself into the ground? This may be a bit negative, as Wicksie can play wide left and can track back, not as good as Borini mind but he does a just about adequate job. So Jordi or Rodders to start?

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-09, 3:21 pm

Not sure anyone is considering 1 up front, we always play 1 up front and did so last weekend.

The difference was that Wickham who was on the wing was encourage to move inside when we attacked, see no reason for changing that.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-09, 3:56 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Not sure anyone is considering 1 up front, we always play 1 up front and did so last weekend.

The difference was that Wickham who was on the wing was encourage to move inside when we attacked, see no reason for changing that.

The trouble is that Wicks does not naturally stay out wide so we do play 2 up front. I just think that Poyet wants a fast striker/winger to sub for Borini and is trying to use Wickham for that...I think Wickham is different from Borini, yes he can make runs with the ball but at heart and by natural inclination he is not winger. Mind Fletcher is even less of a winger than Wickham is and if we are are to score we may need them both on the pitch and working together. It could click, normally you have two different  types of players a la Phillips/Quinn. Then if we could get the Johnson of last January performing... I can dream

I guess Sturridge and Suaraz worked well together, but I guess that particular Uruguayan at least on the pitch, could work well with anyone. Fletch and Wicks will have to tackle back and work very hard if they are going to play as two up front...a sort of revolutionary 4-4-2, a back to the future formation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-10-09, 7:04 pm

Soton matched Spurs for football and pace last weekend but do not have a lot of steel at the back. Two up front for me and keep their midfield busy defending.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2014-10-10, 1:10 pm

its one of our lucky grounds, think we can get a point,three not so sure.
barrowmackem
barrowmackem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-10, 4:43 pm

yes, we have had some outstanding results there over the years...

Another draw beckons I think..

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-10, 4:53 pm

southampton 1 v 3 SUNDERLAND

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-10, 7:39 pm

ANOTHER 3 goals ?

would be oh so very nice.....

I'm a bit happier with the defence. We seem to be stemming the tide..
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-10-11, 1:43 pm

Despite a near 700-mile round trip to the south coast to watch their team Sunderland fans sell out a week ahead

Gus Poyet
Sunderland fans have snapped all of their allocation for the Black Cats’ game at Southampton a week today.
Despite a near 700-mile round trip, travelling fans from the north east have sold out the away end a week in advance of the long road trip.
Match tickets for this game were discounted, yet still it is a superb effort by the supporters to fill out their section at St. Mary’s in what will be a stern test for Gus Poyet's team.
Southampton currently sit in third place in the Premier League table following an incredible start to the season.
Gus Poyet and Sunderland will be looking to keep their record of only losing one league game all season intact come the final whistle on Saturday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-11, 1:50 pm

our away fans have to be the best

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-13, 5:58 am

Now that those England games are over we can get back to proper football, just got to get Fletcher safely through Scotland's trip to Poland on Tuesday.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2014-10-13, 8:42 am

Hieronymus wrote:

Despite a near 700-mile round trip to the south coast to watch their team Sunderland fans sell out a week ahead

Gus Poyet
Sunderland fans have snapped all of their allocation for the Black Cats’ game at Southampton a week today.
Despite a near 700-mile round trip, travelling fans from the north east have sold out the away end a week in advance of the long road trip.
Match tickets for this game were discounted, yet still it is a superb effort by the supporters to fill out their section at St. Mary’s in what will be a stern test for Gus Poyet's team.
Southampton currently sit in third place in the Premier League table following an incredible start to the season.
Gus Poyet and Sunderland will be looking to keep their record of only losing one league game all season intact come the final whistle on Saturday.

like I've said in another thread the best away following in the country by a mile.
barrowmackem
barrowmackem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-13, 2:52 pm

cyprussyd wrote:our away fans have to be the best
I was strongly considering going to this game seeing as I have that weekend off. However, I have been in the bad books of late for spending too much time at work (not out of choice by the way), so I decided against it..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-13, 4:32 pm

barrowmackem wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:

Southampton v Sunderland Match Day Thread JS29373715
Gus Poyet

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-fans-sell-out-trip-7919415
like I've said in another thread the best away following in the country by a mile.

Or seven hundred!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-13, 4:41 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:
I was strongly considering going to this game seeing as I have that weekend off. However, I have been in the bad books of late for spending too much time at work (not out of choice by the way), so I decided against it..
Quite the opposite for me, I have done bugger all for months, apart from driving myself potty, moving houses, and hospital apps. So was over the moon, to be asked back to Munich for a three week aircraft check. grabbed with both hands, not for the money, just will keep me out of the pub for a while. Wont even be able to follow the game, as I will be sailing from North Shields to Ijmuiden First chance I get of reading the result, will be around 2030 Sunday evening, in my hotel in Erding. But I expect a draw,,,,,,Were good at them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-14, 2:53 pm

F

Same at Celtic tbh. Would love to get to a lads away game. That's not gonna be for a while though (points, money etc). 

The dream is to get to the Derby game at home first though cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-15, 5:22 pm

And the man in the middle is..

Andre Marriner

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-10-15, 8:52 pm

Well time for me to start looking forward to the weekend and the team. 

At first glance I would say same again, but will we?

First question for Gus is Vergini or Brown, remember Vergini will have had a long trek back from Hong Kong.

Then midfield, 4 from

Johnson, Larsson, Rodwell, Gomez, Wickham would be my guess.

Cattermole holding midfield and Fletcher up front.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-16, 9:16 am

Going to my first Sunderland game in 24 years on saturday!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-10-16, 9:30 am

Stevie D wrote:Going to my first Sunderland game in 24 years on saturday!!!!!
Welcome to our little forum Stevie D.  Very Happy

Let's hope it is a good day for you and all of us on Saturday  bounce
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-10-16, 9:35 am

Hieronymus wrote:
Stevie D wrote:Going to my first Sunderland game in 24 years on saturday!!!!!
Welcome to our little forum Stevie D.  Very Happy

Let's hope it is a good day for you and all of us on Saturday  bounce

Cheers mate Very Happy

I'm a Celtic fan but took an interest in Sunderland in the late 80's/early 90's and went to quite a few games during that period.

Thought it was about time I got back to a game .... hopefully get to many more in the future Cool

Here's hoping for a win at the weekend against the scummers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-10-16, 10:47 am

cyprussyd wrote:Well time for me to start looking forward to the weekend and the team. 

At first glance I would say same again, but will we?

First question for Gus is Vergini or Brown, remember Vergini will have had a long trek back from Hong Kong.

Then midfield, 4 from

Johnson, Larsson, Rodwell, Gomez, Wickham would be my guess.

Cattermole holding midfield and Fletcher up front.
Wes Brown or Santiago Vergini? Sunderland boss Gus Poyet faces big defensive decision

• Oct 16, 2014 08:30 By Mark Douglas

Wes Brown accepts that in-form Santiago Vergini may keep him out of the Southampton game, but he couldn't have any complaints

Wes Brown and Santiago Vergini

Wes Brown admits that he faces a major battle with Santiago Vergini to regain his place in the Sunderland team.
With Vergini making his second appearance for Argentina and John O’Shea bagging a memorable last-minute equaliser for Ireland in Germany, the Black Cats would appear to be blessed with three in-form centre-backs at the moment.
The Black Cats have the third best defensive record in the Premier League and seem to have achieved Gus Poyet’s aim of making them difficult to beat.
It is the plethora of options for Poyet that are most encouraging, though. Brown missed the last game with a minor calf injury which allowed Vergini to step into his favoured centre-back slot – but with the South American set for a long trip back from Hong Kong, his more experienced colleague is ready to step in. It is the kind of dilemma that every manager would like to have, and Brown does not take a start for granted.
“It’s up to the manager,” he said.
“Santi has had a long trip international-wise, but he would have been really happy to get back in the squad.
“I’m sure the gaffer will have a word with him, and hopefully Sheasy comes back fully fit as well. But whatever the gaffer wants to do, I’m more than happy to go along with that.”
Brown’s experience and cool head was the main reason for Sunderland turning a corner last season.
When he returned from what many feared was a career-ending knee injury, they tightened up and regained some of the composure that was lost with untried Mo Diakite and Valentin Roberge.
And Brown has shown why he is so prized by Poyet by accepting that he may have to sit and wait for his turn – even though he is itching to play his part. He said: “I’d try to play every game, but it was just one of those where I had a sore calf.
“Nothing was pulled, but should I have played or made it worse, or rested it and get it back to where it is today, which is fine. The lads have gone out and we’ve got the points.
“From my point of view, I’m more than happy to get the points on the board. Santi’s playing so well that it’s going to be difficult to take him out.
“I’ve got no problem with that. If we can win another game with that back four, that would be brilliant. I’ll be ready when needed.”
There has been plenty of talk about Sunderland’s mixed record with South and Central American imports, but Vergini has certainly been a success at the Stadium of Light.
Although he was initially deployed as a right-back – with pretty minimal success in those early days –his impressive determination came to the fore and he now looks like one of the best signings of the Poyet era.
Vergini has impressed as a centre-back and has adapted quickly to the physicality of the Premier League. He has also impressed in the air, which is important for players coming to England from abroad.
Poyet may retain him for Southampton and Brown is full of admiration for the way Vergini has played. He says he has “fitted in well” with the Black Cats approach.
“Sheasy is the skipper and has been playing well, as has Santi,” Brown said.
“Obviously Santi came as a centre-half, and the gaffer put him at right-back when we were struggling for one. But I think he’s done brilliant.
“He gets forward, he defends, he attacks the ball and he’s fitted in really well. There’s been absolutely no problem with him.
“He’s a big lad and maybe his first couple of games – like anyone would do – it takes a bit of time.
“But it’s a new season, he knows what it’s about now and as everyone can see, he’s ready to go.”

I have a lot of time for Wes Brown. He seems like a smashing lad and I think he is a very good player, despite the injuries which could have have forced a lesser person to give up.

I think I would go for Brown in this case, with Vergini having that long trip to Hong Kong, but if Billy Jones does not recover, we may have to play Vergini at right back anyway. 
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum