SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Favourites
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. EmptyYesterday at 6:38 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Retained List
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-16, 8:40 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Lee Cattermole
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-16, 9:30 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» I fell for that!
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-14, 10:37 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland Legends
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-14, 9:40 am by Hieronymus

» Molyneux gone
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-14, 9:33 am by Hieronymus

» what would you do?
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-14, 8:28 am by Kipper

» Killing the golden goose
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-12, 9:21 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Its happened
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-12, 8:56 am by cyprussyd

» Takeover
CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty2019-06-11, 8:51 am by Kipper

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND.

Go down

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND.

Post  Guest on 2014-09-18, 10:57 pm

Tom Cowie, picked Mac the enemy, over Cloughie. Hence third division for stupidity.

The FA picked Ron Greenwood as Englands manager, over Cloughie. The reason given.....

Because "Ron Greenwood is a jolly fine fellow" those words piss me off to this day, and always will, Cloughie was never a yes man, but that's what the England lords and masters wanted, and still do, small wonder, our national team is a bloody disgrace.

#######################################################

Clough: A true footballing genius
Thursday 18th September 2014 10:44

• CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Icon-printPrint Article
  • [email=?subject=Clough: A true footballing]CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Icon-mail[/email]Email Article

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. 494031843_3205493
Brian Clough: Guided Forest to European Cup glory twice

Ten years after his death, TEAMtalk profiles Brian Clough - one of the game's greatest managers and most charismatic figures.
For those first weaned onto football at the outset of the Premier League, Brian Clough might have seemed a sad, tragic figure.
May 1, 1993 was the end of the beginning for the new-look top flight, but for Clough it was the final curtain as his Nottingham Forest side lost 2-0 at home to Sheffield United and ended the season finishing bottom.
The manager, ruddy-faced through years of heavy drinking, had just led Forest down and seemed a jarring anachronism in this new razzmatazz and fireworks era, yet the reception for Clough at the start and end of the match at the City Ground was one befitting a hero.
The plaudits could not have been more richly deserved, however. Here was a manager who, in the opinion of many - including himself - could make a valid claim to be the greatest British football had ever seen.
Two European Cups, two league titles, four League Cups, one European Super Cup and one old Second Division title is an excellent record in anyone's book.
To have achieved all that with two teams now resident in the Sky Bet Championship, two teams who had never been as successful before - or indeed since - makes it extraordinary, and is the reason why, 10 years on from his death from stomach cancer on September 20, 2004, he is still so fondly remembered.
His success as a manager perhaps wrongly masks his achievements as a player.
He joined Middlesbrough as a 17-year-old in 1952 but it took the dark-haired striker three years to break into the first team. Once he did, however, he did not look back and he was Boro's top scorer for three seasons in a row.
Finishing his Ayresome Park career with 204 goals from 213 games, Clough made the short journey north to join Sunderland where his career was cruelly cut short after colliding with a goalkeeper. Nevertheless, he ended his playing days having scored 251 goals in 274 matches, having played twice for his country.
His managerial career also began in his native north-east at the age of 30 with Hartlepool, then in the old Fourth Division.
It was a humble start for the man who would one day be proclaimed "the best manager England never had" but he was already putting in place the elements which would bring such huge success later on.
Bringing in close friend Peter Taylor was the masterstroke. Clough, as he would so often again, wrung every ounce of ability out of the players around him through a mixture of reverse psychology, tough training, an almost evangelical pursuit of football in its purest form and, in some cases, little short of bullying.
Pools won promotion for the first time in their Football League history at the end of the 1967-68 season, but by the time everything had come together at Victoria Park, the men responsible for their success had moved on to a new challenge.
Derby were languishing in the old Second Division when Clough took over at the Baseball Ground in 1967. Six years later they were playing in the semi-final of the European Cup against Italian giants Juventus.
Once again, it came about because of Clough's unique brand of man-management and his ability to get the very best out of even seemingly mediocre players.
The team was always the most important thing, and anyone guilty of immodesty - except for Clough himself - was sure to be on the end of one of his famous barbed remarks and quite possibly on the way out of the club.
By the time he left Derby after a fall-out with chairman Sam Longson for Brighton, the stories of Clough's methods - some would say madness - were legendary.
Seen on television telling one of his strikers that they "wanted bloody shooting" for missing a chance - in training - it was clear that here was a man who expected everyone around him to meet his high standards.
He took Derby up to the old First Division in his first full season in charge and in 1971-72 the Rams won the league title for the first time in their history.

His one-year spell at Brighton ended in 1974 when he was chosen to succeed the legendary Don Revie at Leeds.
The move did not work out for Clough or the Yorkshire club as his tendency to speak his mind wound up the team of champions he had inherited and within 44 days he was on his way out of Elland Road.
Such a short stay dented Clough's previously glowing reputation, so when he returned to the east midlands to take over at Nottingham Forest in January 1975 he had to prove himself all over again. His response was emphatic.
It took Clough slightly longer to turn Forest's fortunes around than it had at Derby, but the end result was far greater. Promotion was gained in 1976-77, and a year later, incredibly, they were champions of England and League Cup winners for good measure.
Clough built a fantastic team at the City Ground, with the likes of Kenny Burns, John Robertson, John McGovern and - perhaps best of all - goalkeeper Peter Shilton - key to the transformation.
If the Forest fairytale had ended there it would have been incredible enough. But in 1979, a diving header from Trevor Francis, Britain's first £1million player, secured the European Cup with a 1-0 win over Swedish side Malmo.
They finished second in the league and retained their League Cup crown in 1979. A year later, as if to prove it was no fluke, Forest won the European Cup again by beating Hamburg 1-0 thanks to a strike from Robertson.
Clough could have retired there and then and been deified in Nottingham, but he was to spend another 13 years at Forest.
As players came and went and Clough misfired on the transfer front (Justin Fashanu being the biggest mistake he made), his partnership with Taylor dissolved.
His sidekick retired, but then took on a coaching job at Derby and signed Forest's star man Robertson from under Clough's nose. This was an unforgivable act of treachery in Clough's view and when Taylor died in 1990 the rift between these once-great friends had still not been patched up.
Forest never again matched the achievements of 1979 and 1980, and the only thing left for Clough to achieve, it seemed, was to transfer his success at club level to the international game.
He was for years the people's choice to manage England, but the prospect of the brusque, often deliberately rude man from working-class Teesside stock rubbing shoulders with the grey establishment suits of the Football Association was one that frightened the latter too much.
He won the League Cup twice more in 1989 and 1990 and added the less illustrious Simod Cup and Zenith Data Systems Cup to Forest's silverware collection.
He was still eminently quotable and was always in the news, once for cuffing a fan around the head for having the temerity to run onto the pitch, but the miracles were at an end.
A final act of genius to keep Forest up in 1993 would have been the perfect ending. It was not to be, but by then Clough had already left his legacy to Forest.
Old Big Head he may have been, but his record backs up the boastfulness.

http://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/9475927/-

USE THE URL, FOR THE MOHMMED ALI VIDEO, CLASS

Back to top Go down

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty Classic Clough

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-09-19, 3:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty Re: CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND.

Post  canary-dave on 2014-09-19, 4:30 pm

Without doubt the end of a leg!  Very Happy

canary-dave
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Empty Re: CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND.

Post  Silvers on 2014-09-19, 7:34 pm

brilliant

Very Happy
Silvers
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-09-19, 9:39 pm

The Robson Report: Sir Alex Ferguson had millions, Clough charisma and brilliance

CLOUGHIE, THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. Clough
Jonathan Wilosn’s book on a Sunderland great
Jeremy Robson pays a grand tribute to Brian Clough to mark the imminent 10th anniversary of his death (aged 69, on September 20 2004) …

It’s hard to believe
that ten years have lapsed since the passing of the great Brian Clough. Arguably, the finest manager of all time, he didn’t have to spend millions or be in charge at clubs with the deepest pockets to win trophies. He did it on the strength of team work, charisma and sheer brilliance.

According to Nigel his, son speaking ahead of tomorrow’s 10th anniversary of his death, his Dad would have been “dismayed and flabbergasted” by the modern game.
Sorry to say it, but Brian would not have been the only one. Brian’s inimitable style of management was flamboyant, brash and colourful to say the least. It was also incredibly successful, during the years of his partnership with Peter Taylor. They were a classic example of what the Germans call “Gestalt” where the whole is greater than the sum of the constituent parts.
“Old Big Head” as he called himself, was sometimes described as arrogant and conceited, and that wasn’t all he was called.
Nigel Clough contends that his late father was often afflicted by self doubt along the way. This might surprise a few people. He was a very honest man who despised cheating of any kind and, if he made mistakes, he was more than prepared to admit them, sometimes publically. I remember when he signed midfielder Gary Megson, and sold him again within a matter of weeks, disappointed in his new acquisition and commenting that Megson, “couldn’t trap a bag of cement”.
For younger readers who aren’t so familiar with this legend of the game there are some wonderful clips, and interviews with Brian on YouTube, particularly the Calendar interview with Brian and Don Revie following his dismal 44-day tenure as manager of Leeds United 40 years ago.
My son, who is only 12, has watched a lot of these clips and is highly amused at the frank as well as very amusing nature of it all.
As well as being the greatest manager of all time, Brian was of course one of the finest forwards to ever wear the red and white stripes. Brian Clough, my hero as man and boy. I still miss you. It’s such a shame that you never managed our beloved club.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-09-20, 11:06 am

I will add another tribute from Pat Murphy, the BBC journalist. This one brought tears to my eyes this morning. I never saw Clough play live but watched him and his teams throughout the 80's and 90's. You can only go on what you see and it is clear he was a great man as so many people who worked with him have only praise for the man and his methods. I love his stance abut referees and I love the idea of playing Frank Sinatra to the players instead of a team talk! And surely he was right, harangueing players and overburdening with tactical talk just before the match starts takes them out of the 'zone' when they should just be focused on playing and winning the game, being instinctive, exactly as he says.

A sad loss to the world of football, and a good, if far from perfect, human being. RIP Mr Brian Clough xx

Brian Clough: Pat Murphy's memories of a unique character
By Pat Murphy BBC Radio 5 live

It is 10 years since Brian Clough - arguably football's greatest character - died of cancer aged 69 on 20 September 2004.

His achievements in the game as a prolific goalscorer with Middlesbrough and Sunderland and legendary manager at Derby County and Nottingham Forest would place him in the football pantheon anyway.
But what set him apart was personality - his ability to transcend his sport. Clough was a genuine one-off and there are more anecdotes about him than anyone else in the game.
I knew Clough for more than 30 years. I wrote a book about him - His Way, The Brian Clough Story - and was one of the lucky reporters to have a fruitful working relationship with him. He truly was a remarkable man.

'That Sinatra, he's met me, you know'

Why Clough was a gift for reporters
I'm convinced that Brian would have made a good journalist.
He had a great ear for the telling phrase and he respected reporters who had done their time and had opinions of their own.
Not that anyone of us dared to impose our views when he was around. We just listened....
"That Sinatra, Patrick - he's met me, you know."
"That Portuguese bloke at Chelsea, Jose what's his name... He reminds me of me at the same age. But I were better-looking."
"What's coaching? I'll tell you - getting that Roy McFarland [who played for Clough at Derby County] to get his hair cut!"
"Which current managers remind me of meself? Alex Ferguson for his consistency and bravery. Neil Warnock - without the success."
"Our team's so young, it's like a school outing. Our problem isn't injuries - it's acne!"
We did a programme together for BBC's World Service in 2003 in which he picked his favourite XI - with Johan Cruyff, Gerd Muller, Bobby Moore and John Charles selected. I asked him who would be the manager and was not surprised at the answer.
"Well it'd have to be someone who's played a bit, could talk about it clearly without waffling on as if he was Albert Einstein, someone who wouldn't be afraid to tell that Cruyff bloke to pass the ball. I suppose it had better be me!"
It was a tongue-in-cheek answer, but he was convinced he was the right man for the job. He had utter conviction laced with humour - his forte. The only thing he was afraid of was flying.
You turned up the volume when Cloughie was on the telly or radio. He was fearless and naturally funny. You may have disliked him, but you couldn't ignore him. That would do for him, young man.

What Clough really thought of the FA

Why Clough would have got bored managing the national team
Brian was a fierce patriot who desperately wanted England to do well.
In the summer he died, we watched several Euro 2004 games together and he railed against England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's timidity and refusal to substitute captain David Beckham. He cared - but I am not sure he would have been successful as England's manager.In 1977, at the peak of his managerial powers, he was interviewed for the England job. The Football Association went for the safe option, Ron Greenwood, who at the time was general manager at West Ham.
Years later Clough told me: "The FA knew I thought they were all as weak as dishwater. I doubt if any of the big nobs around the FA's table shared my political beliefs. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I didn't get the job. I tell you what - it didn't go in my favour."
But Cloughie would have got bored with all the time between England matches.
He hated flying, had no time for dossiers or researching the opposition and would have bridled at all the necessary schmoozing with the media.
A diplomatic incident would always be possible when he was riled. How we all loved his comment to Italian journalists after Juventus beat his Derby side in the 1973 European Cup semi-final - Clough suggested that he does not talk to cheats, but in a very colourful way.
Above all, Clough loved club management, especially presiding over two games a week. He lived for matchdays.
"The best part of my job is when we've won away from home on a midweek night, we've stopped for a bag of chips and then we're having a sing-song on the coach - with all of us having a day off tomorrow. Almost as good as still playing."

The one-minute team talk

Why Clough preferred to play Frank Sinatra
I often used to think the Forest side of the 1980s was too relaxed at the start of a match. The players would run onto the pitch, seemingly without a care in the world.
That was because a Clough team-talk would rarely last a minute - no hairdryers, no ranting. He would place a ball on the physio's couch and say: "That's your best friend for the next couple of hours. Treat it like your wife or girlfriend - caress it, love it."This after making his players listen to Frank Sinatra, Matt Monro or the Ink Spots. The thoughts of that great punk fan, current Forest boss Stuart Pearce, were never sought by his manager.
"I had enough of tedious team talks when I was a player," Clough once told me. "Footballers don't have a long attention span; they are instinctive."
He would get irritated at the idea of micro-managing footballers and demanded that they relaxed once they knew what was necessary.
"Come and see my coaching certificates - they're called the European Cup and league championships," he once said.
Above all, Cloughie was respected by his players. For three decades after he left Derby in 1973, he was a regular presence at the old players' association functions, delighting in telling anecdotes and enquiring after the various families. Cloughie was a better listener and conversationalist than his egotistical image would suggest.
Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill once told me that Clough had been his biggest influence.
"It was one of the great myths that he was a manager, not a coach," O'Neill said. "Every day was a coaching lesson from Brian Clough. You'd pick up something that would last you a lifetime."
It is now more than 20 years since his retirement, 10 years since his death, but I cannot think of a single player of his that has criticised Clough in the media.
Yes, many were wary of him and some disliked him, but they all respected his unique talent and knack of making them better at their job.

Dressing down his own player for fouling

Why Clough was perhaps too idealistic
Clough hated players surrounding referees and haranguing them - and in turn referees loved coming to the City Ground, where they were treated with respect by the staff.
"Discipline in football is too important to be left to the players," Clough once told me, as I gently suggested that Forest's fair but manly style of play was being steamrollered by ruthless, over-physical opponents who happily beat up referees verbally.Once Peter Beardsley had his shins raked by Forest's Netherlands international Johnny Metgod. It was missed by the referee but not by Clough. He hauled off Metgod, gave him a rocket and made him apologise to Beardsley.
It remains one of Beardsley's biggest regrets that he never played for Clough, as he admired his footballing principles so much.
So too did the great referee Jack Taylor, who wrote to Clough when he retired in 1993. "I'd never done that to a manager but I felt I owed it to Cloughie on behalf of all referees," said Taylor. "He was a great man."
Perhaps that's one of Clough's greatest legacies, the fact that his sides let referees get on with their job. I have no doubt he would still pursue the same philosophy today. He would say: "Discipline was a simple matter to me. I imposed it and the players did what they were told."
Some of Clough's managerial contemporaries wondered if that idealism rebounded on him.
Former Luton, Leicester, Tottenham and Sheffield Wednesday boss David Pleat told me: "His was an incredible stance when you see what goes on elsewhere and the advantage that is sometimes gained by it.
"A lot of managers have become winners by allowing that to go on."

'Give my love to your mam'

Why it was a privilege to know Brian
Cloughie was always very kind about the personal lives of those he allowed into his confidence.
When he heard my mother was dying of cancer in the summer of 2004, he sent her flowers and a touching note.Four days before he died, we talked for the final time. He was in hospital - just for routine tests, I thought, although he had lost weight alarmingly.
We were due to sort out our usual monthly column for a football magazine and he rasped out his thoughts in familiar forthright fashion - give Sir Bobby Robson support after his dismissal at Newcastle ("let's give him the support and kindness he deserves") and railing at Paul Sturrock's sacking by Southampton after only 12 matches.
After we had tidied all that up, he suddenly said: "Give your mam my love and tell her to get out of hospital. They're not much fun."
Sadly, Brian didn't make it out himself.
I did the last formal interview with Brian a few weeks before his death.
Arsenal were about to beat the Forest record of 42 unbeaten league games and, although he was very generous about their style of play, he saved a barb for Arsene Wenger:That Frenchman needs a list of all the opticians around Highbury and Islington, because he never sees 'owt when his players are being naughty on the pitch."
When the interview was over and Brian dutifully took some more pills, his 14-year-old grandson Stephen, who sat in on the interview, said: "That was great, Granddad!" I've often wondered why he let Stephen stay with us while we did interviews. He was touchingly devoted to the boy and I suspect he knew it would be the last time he'd hold forth to a microphone.
And Stephen was right - it was great. And so was his granddad.

Read the article with accompanying pictures here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-09-20, 11:27 am

Bugger you H, tears streaming after that, laughed all the way through then the last bit got me.

Thanks for posting that.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2014-09-20, 11:36 am

You beat me to it Syd, it had the self same effect on me. Bless you H, I enjoy every single one of your posts!  jerry

canary-dave
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-09-20, 11:50 am

cyprussyd wrote:Bugger you H, tears streaming after that, laughed all the way through then the last bit got me.

Thanks for posting that.
Pat Murphy is a very good journalist indeed, He was obviously very fond of Clough and knew him well to convey the emotion and genius of the man, as well as the pathos of his flawed nature leading to an early death.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-09-20, 11:51 am

canary-dave wrote:You beat me to it Syd, it had the self same effect on me. Bless you H, I enjoy every single one of your posts!  jerry
Pat Murphy's words, not mine  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

But thank you  kiss
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-09-20, 6:42 pm

Hieronymus wrote:I will add another tribute from Pat Murphy, the BBC journalist. This one brought tears to my eyes this morning. I never saw Clough play live but watched him and his teams throughout the 80's and 90's. You can only go on what you see and it is clear he was a great man as so many people who worked with him have only praise for the man and his methods. I love his stance abut referees and I love the idea of playing Frank Sinatra to the players instead of a team talk! And surely he was right, harangueing players and overburdening with tactical talk just before the match starts takes them out of the 'zone' when they should just be focused on playing and winning the game, being instinctive, exactly as he says.

A sad loss to the world of football, and a good, if far from perfect, human being. RIP Mr Brian Clough xx

Brian Clough: Pat Murphy's memories of a unique character
By Pat Murphy BBC Radio 5 live

It is 10 years since Brian Clough - arguably football's greatest character - died of cancer aged 69 on 20 September 2004.

His achievements in the game as a prolific goalscorer with Middlesbrough and Sunderland and legendary manager at Derby County and Nottingham Forest would place him in the football pantheon anyway.
But what set him apart was personality - his ability to transcend his sport. Clough was a genuine one-off and there are more anecdotes about him than anyone else in the game.
I knew Clough for more than 30 years. I wrote a book about him - His Way, The Brian Clough Story - and was one of the lucky reporters to have a fruitful working relationship with him. He truly was a remarkable man.

'That Sinatra, he's met me, you know'

Why Clough was a gift for reporters
I'm convinced that Brian would have made a good journalist.
He had a great ear for the telling phrase and he respected reporters who had done their time and had opinions of their own.
Not that anyone of us dared to impose our views when he was around. We just listened....
"That Sinatra, Patrick - he's met me, you know."
"That Portuguese bloke at Chelsea, Jose what's his name... He reminds me of me at the same age. But I were better-looking."
"What's coaching? I'll tell you - getting that Roy McFarland [who played for Clough at Derby County] to get his hair cut!"
"Which current managers remind me of meself? Alex Ferguson for his consistency and bravery. Neil Warnock - without the success."
"Our team's so young, it's like a school outing. Our problem isn't injuries - it's acne!"
We did a programme together for BBC's World Service in 2003 in which he picked his favourite XI - with Johan Cruyff, Gerd Muller, Bobby Moore and John Charles selected. I asked him who would be the manager and was not surprised at the answer.
"Well it'd have to be someone who's played a bit, could talk about it clearly without waffling on as if he was Albert Einstein, someone who wouldn't be afraid to tell that Cruyff bloke to pass the ball. I suppose it had better be me!"
It was a tongue-in-cheek answer, but he was convinced he was the right man for the job. He had utter conviction laced with humour - his forte. The only thing he was afraid of was flying.
You turned up the volume when Cloughie was on the telly or radio. He was fearless and naturally funny. You may have disliked him, but you couldn't ignore him. That would do for him, young man.

What Clough really thought of the FA

Why Clough would have got bored managing the national team
Brian was a fierce patriot who desperately wanted England to do well.
In the summer he died, we watched several Euro 2004 games together and he railed against England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's timidity and refusal to substitute captain David Beckham. He cared - but I am not sure he would have been successful as England's manager.In 1977, at the peak of his managerial powers, he was interviewed for the England job. The Football Association went for the safe option, Ron Greenwood, who at the time was general manager at West Ham.
Years later Clough told me: "The FA knew I thought they were all as weak as dishwater. I doubt if any of the big nobs around the FA's table shared my political beliefs. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I didn't get the job. I tell you what - it didn't go in my favour."
But Cloughie would have got bored with all the time between England matches.
He hated flying, had no time for dossiers or researching the opposition and would have bridled at all the necessary schmoozing with the media.
A diplomatic incident would always be possible when he was riled. How we all loved his comment to Italian journalists after Juventus beat his Derby side in the 1973 European Cup semi-final - Clough suggested that he does not talk to cheats, but in a very colourful way.
Above all, Clough loved club management, especially presiding over two games a week. He lived for matchdays.
"The best part of my job is when we've won away from home on a midweek night, we've stopped for a bag of chips and then we're having a sing-song on the coach - with all of us having a day off tomorrow. Almost as good as still playing."

The one-minute team talk

Why Clough preferred to play Frank Sinatra
I often used to think the Forest side of the 1980s was too relaxed at the start of a match. The players would run onto the pitch, seemingly without a care in the world.
That was because a Clough team-talk would rarely last a minute - no hairdryers, no ranting. He would place a ball on the physio's couch and say: "That's your best friend for the next couple of hours. Treat it like your wife or girlfriend - caress it, love it."This after making his players listen to Frank Sinatra, Matt Monro or the Ink Spots. The thoughts of that great punk fan, current Forest boss Stuart Pearce, were never sought by his manager.
"I had enough of tedious team talks when I was a player," Clough once told me. "Footballers don't have a long attention span; they are instinctive."
He would get irritated at the idea of micro-managing footballers and demanded that they relaxed once they knew what was necessary.
"Come and see my coaching certificates - they're called the European Cup and league championships," he once said.
Above all, Cloughie was respected by his players. For three decades after he left Derby in 1973, he was a regular presence at the old players' association functions, delighting in telling anecdotes and enquiring after the various families. Cloughie was a better listener and conversationalist than his egotistical image would suggest.
Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill once told me that Clough had been his biggest influence.
"It was one of the great myths that he was a manager, not a coach," O'Neill said. "Every day was a coaching lesson from Brian Clough. You'd pick up something that would last you a lifetime."
It is now more than 20 years since his retirement, 10 years since his death, but I cannot think of a single player of his that has criticised Clough in the media.
Yes, many were wary of him and some disliked him, but they all respected his unique talent and knack of making them better at their job.

Dressing down his own player for fouling

Why Clough was perhaps too idealistic
Clough hated players surrounding referees and haranguing them - and in turn referees loved coming to the City Ground, where they were treated with respect by the staff.
"Discipline in football is too important to be left to the players," Clough once told me, as I gently suggested that Forest's fair but manly style of play was being steamrollered by ruthless, over-physical opponents who happily beat up referees verbally.Once Peter Beardsley had his shins raked by Forest's Netherlands international Johnny Metgod. It was missed by the referee but not by Clough. He hauled off Metgod, gave him a rocket and made him apologise to Beardsley.
It remains one of Beardsley's biggest regrets that he never played for Clough, as he admired his footballing principles so much.
So too did the great referee Jack Taylor, who wrote to Clough when he retired in 1993. "I'd never done that to a manager but I felt I owed it to Cloughie on behalf of all referees," said Taylor. "He was a great man."
Perhaps that's one of Clough's greatest legacies, the fact that his sides let referees get on with their job. I have no doubt he would still pursue the same philosophy today. He would say: "Discipline was a simple matter to me. I imposed it and the players did what they were told."
Some of Clough's managerial contemporaries wondered if that idealism rebounded on him.
Former Luton, Leicester, Tottenham and Sheffield Wednesday boss David Pleat told me: "His was an incredible stance when you see what goes on elsewhere and the advantage that is sometimes gained by it.
"A lot of managers have become winners by allowing that to go on."

'Give my love to your mam'

Why it was a privilege to know Brian
Cloughie was always very kind about the personal lives of those he allowed into his confidence.
When he heard my mother was dying of cancer in the summer of 2004, he sent her flowers and a touching note.Four days before he died, we talked for the final time. He was in hospital - just for routine tests, I thought, although he had lost weight alarmingly.
We were due to sort out our usual monthly column for a football magazine and he rasped out his thoughts in familiar forthright fashion - give Sir Bobby Robson support after his dismissal at Newcastle ("let's give him the support and kindness he deserves") and railing at Paul Sturrock's sacking by Southampton after only 12 matches.
After we had tidied all that up, he suddenly said: "Give your mam my love and tell her to get out of hospital. They're not much fun."
Sadly, Brian didn't make it out himself.
I did the last formal interview with Brian a few weeks before his death.
Arsenal were about to beat the Forest record of 42 unbeaten league games and, although he was very generous about their style of play, he saved a barb for Arsene Wenger:That Frenchman needs a list of all the opticians around Highbury and Islington, because he never sees 'owt when his players are being naughty on the pitch."
When the interview was over and Brian dutifully took some more pills, his 14-year-old grandson Stephen, who sat in on the interview, said: "That was great, Granddad!" I've often wondered why he let Stephen stay with us while we did interviews. He was touchingly devoted to the boy and I suspect he knew it would be the last time he'd hold forth to a microphone.
And Stephen was right - it was great. And so was his granddad.

Read the article with accompanying pictures here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29145641

What a wonderful article. I had the good fortune to see the legend play. And followed it up at Forrest. A class article, written by someone who realy gave a **** . nice one H, Your imput far surpasses mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum