SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Quiz 76
Yesterday at 11:23 pm by Hieronymus

» MAJA GOAL
Yesterday at 9:49 pm by gil t azell

» A heart warming win.. next target?
Yesterday at 7:43 pm by barrowmackem

» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Yesterday at 7:33 pm by canary-dave

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 5:18 pm by gil t azell

» Thoroughly ashamed
Yesterday at 5:15 pm by gil t azell

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Yesterday at 2:07 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 1:25 pm by Billy D

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
2017-12-16, 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
2017-12-16, 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

TO BE BRITISH

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TO BE BRITISH

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-08-30, 8:00 am

SunderMad Blog

TO BE BRITISH

Today's blog may well be a rather controversial one because its about being British, the far right, the far left and our political elite.

First let me take you back to around 1963 and my shopping trips with my mum to Sunderland. We would catch the bus and going into Sunderland we would pass the synagogue on Ryhope road and being a Saturday we would see all the Jews going to worship. I remember thinking how awful it must be to be Jewish because you could not go to football on a Saturday, wrong I know but a true thought. My point is a simple one, I neither liked or hated the Jews, indeed knew little about them, just did not like the idea of church on a Saturday.

I honestly believe that most British kids grow up with equally simple views on life, its growing up that makes life complicated.

In my younger days I was very active in politics but from the outside, I spent years fighting union bosses in my engineering days and that may well lead you to believe I am anti union, nothing could be further from the truth I am anti union bosses who bully and in my day we had many. At meetings at shop floor level I would be the voice who just could not accept strike without discussion, a convenor calling a strike was not uncommon, all I wanted to know was why but the convenor of my day did not like to have his power questioned. It made me unpopular in a number of workplaces but I never understood what I was doing wrong, surely I had the right to question actions that affected my life?

Over the years I have had similar fights with the management of companies for simply refusing to just accept because it was what the management wanted.

For many years now my interest in politics and the world remained but I no longer had the desire to get involved, a quiet life was my aim.

Now and to be honest for a few years my mouth is starting to question again and the world and its problems are hard to simply ignore but its Britain that is my main concern because its where I live.

We live in an increasingly dangerous country and one that appears to be slipping into a divided country and I am being constantly warned about the rise of the far right and how dangerous they are. The first thing that always irritates me when its pointed out how racist and nasty UKIP are is, why are you telling me, don't you think I am bright enough to see the ugly side for myself?
My opinion is that its not the far right who are the problem, its the politically correct elite that rule us and their apparent contempt for me, the voter.

I don't pick on Tory, Labour, LibDem or any of the others, I blame them all because we are where we are today following years of their leadership.

In the house of commons there are many good honest people who want a just, fair and fully inclusive UK, thats what I want but sadly they don't have the power, only a small handful of career politicians on all sides do.

I voted UKIP in the last elections not because I want a UKIP government or because I support UKIPs more extreme views but because I was no longer prepared to support any party that showed such contempt for me.

People, IMO, are being driven further and further to the far right or indeed left by a political elite who stopped listening to the majority and spent to much time on the minority.

The word racist is thrown around at just about anyone who says they are proud to be British and support British values. Mention immigration and its not long before the “R” word appears.

Am I a racist in saying that I don't have any more of a problem with a Mosque in Sunderland than I did with the Synagogue all those years ago. I do however have a problem if anyone is offended by the nativity play at Christmas at my grandsons school. I don't have a problem with the Pakistani community in Rotherham, I do however have a problem with members of that community sexually abusing young girls but the authorities seem frightened of acting in case it causes racial tensions.

Inclusive to me means that man, woman, Jew, Gentile, Christian, Muslim, boy, girl, gay, straight, black, white should all be allowed to follow their own belief and life style choice providing it falls within the rules and traditions of our country, British values of fairness, tolerance, acceptance of others, act within the law and the law applying to all equally. Nothing to do with religion, we can all follow whatever religion we want providing we respect everyone else's right to follow theirs peacefully.

The country, my country is now on Severe Alert status because of a belief that a terror attack is very likely, not from some far off country or foreign people from other lands but from within. From British citizens who have enjoyed and still enjoy our British values and way of life but at the same time want to destroy them.

Is it racist to say to someone who wants to kill me,”Piss off back to your Islamic state, I don't want you here”!
Not long ago Nigel Farage made a comment about immigrants for Romania and was widely reported in all the media for his racist views and his comments were jumped upon by the great and good who enjoy jumping on any UKIP comment they can.

A few weeks ago Nigel Farage commented that all Muslims who leave to fight for ISIS should be stripped of their passports and not allowed back, I don't remember the same amount of press coverage or indeed the great and good jumping up saying well said Nigel.

Its not the far right who are the problem for me, its everyone who focuses on attacking the far right, ignoring anything good because it comes from the far right and continues to sit back and blindly, IMO, support Tory, Labour on any of the above because its what they have always done.

Hopefully there is enough there to get a good debate going.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TO BE BRITISH

Post  canary-dave on 2014-08-30, 11:16 am

Syd, every blog of your's that I read tells me over and over again why you had such a successful career in sales management, you have a way of putting into words everything that most normal people want and agree with!

If there was a World Championship for hitting the nail on the head, there is absolutely no doubt that you would be world champion with no challenger getting within a country mile of you!

Still don't like Farage mind!

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-08-30, 11:48 am

I think Dave that Farage is the Marmite of today's politics, like him or hate him but few don't have a view.

I like his style and his speaking skills but there is a lot I don't like but that's not important to me. I have had it said to me how could I vote for a party in UKIP when I don't know all their manifesto?

People who ask that totally miss the point, not many, if any, vote UKIP in the hope they are voting for the party of government, we know we will have Tory, Labour, Lib Dem or a mix, I don't want any of them, don't trust them.

So why would I vote for any party I dont trust, people say vote for these because they are better than them, not good enough for me.

I don't consider UKIP far right, others do I know but UKIP have enough power now for the main parties to take note. I also believe that like all parties the more power will mean the more scrutiny and will see a shift to the centre with the more extreme elements shipped out and watered down.

But the point of the blog is not a party election broadcast for UKIP but a call for our leaders to get some sense and start and put Britain and British people first.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2014-08-30, 11:58 am

What worries me with Farage is he is unfortunate to have a smarmy, devious look about him, that short video you just posted about 'Arry, well just once I'd like to see that sort of reaction from Nigel, rather than his silly, foppish grin! It would add some appeal for me!

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-08-30, 12:17 pm

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  fyldemackem on 2014-08-30, 7:06 pm

I think the title of this blog should have been "Politics today", because although you say it's about being british you spend 90% of the article railing against the shortcomings of our politicians. Anyway 2 points from me :

1. I think we did grow up in a simpler time and consequently we had the this fixed idea of what being British was. But yesterdays immigration figures made it only too clear that Britishness must be getting eroded faster than the Norfolk coastline. I'm not saying immigration is right or wrong, but you can't have it on such a large scale and expect things to stay the same.

2. I'm starting to wonder whether any political party can govern successfully in the modern world. Imagine for a second that Harold Mcmillan or Harold Wilson came back tomorrow, they'd wonder if it was the same planet. The world is now so complex that really, politicians can't do right for doing wrong. Our traditional parties are the best we can come up with for sorting out national issues but when it comes to the impossibility of sorting out the rest of a very volatile world, they haven't a clue. Nor has Obama or anyone else. We can only hope that someone with vision & conviction emerges in the near future, because the current crop (of every stripe) just react to whatever arises and then a month later, forget about it.
fyldemackem
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-08-30, 9:54 pm

The politicians, especially Regan and Thatcher, abrogated their power responsibilities when the lifted all banking restrictions and went for global economics.

Every control that arose from the first Wall Street crash was blasted away and the current ability to move huge sums of money, as well as other things, around the world was made too easy.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum