SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Accrington Stanley v Sunderland
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyToday at 2:13 pm by Hieronymus

» Sid MCFC an apology!
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyToday at 10:53 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Rotherham United
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyToday at 8:04 am by gil t azell

» Have i got my days mixed up
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyToday at 3:40 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Sunderland sue doctor for £13MILLION
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 4:47 pm by fitz

» Geoffrey Boycott!
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 10:58 am by canary-dave

» Predictions week 07
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 7:49 am by oldblackcat

» Watmore
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 Empty2019-09-13, 9:12 pm by Nostalgic

» Yellowhammer
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 Empty2019-09-13, 12:23 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Rumours getting stronger
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 Empty2019-09-13, 10:44 am by gil t azell

TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 Empty Re: TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-26, 7:53 pm

[size=30]Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham in talks with Southampton boss[/size]
Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino is in advanced talks with Tottenham to become their new manager.
Spurs have been looking for a new manager since sacking Tim Sherwood earlier this month.
Pochettino fact file

• Born 2 March 1972 in Santa Fe
  • Played for Newell's Old Boys, Espanyol, PSG and Bordeaux
  • While with Espanyol he won the Copa del Rey twice: 1999-2000, 2005-06
  • Capped 20 times Argentina, scoring two goals.
  • Took charge at Espanyol in January 2009.
  • Named Southampton boss on 18 January 2013
  • Secured notable wins over Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea

Pochettino, 42, took over at Southampton in January 2013, when he replaced Nigel Adkins, and led them to eighth place in the Premier League.
His future at St Mary's had been in question, following the departure of chairman Nicola Cortese in January.
Spurs had previously been linked with a move for Ajax head coach Frank de Boer but Pochettino now appears to be the club's first choice.
The Argentine revealed earlier this month that he was set to discuss his future at the end of the season, which started speculation he was to leave St Mary's.
He has one year remaining on his Southampton contract but wanted answers from the new board over the direction of the club before committing his future.
"It's up to the board to discuss with me the new project that will be in place for next season," Pochettino told BBC South Today on 9 May.
"It's not up to me to decide when those talks will happen."

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-26, 8:17 pm

I'm sure a young manager with a great reputation as a player will be linked with every managerial job that comes up this next year.  As such, I'm a bit cynical about the Express article.

But there's a bit that worries me about it, too.  It seems to me that Gus wants to make big - really big - changes at Sunderland.  His wish to take over the development and junior sides stands to push Kevin Ball's nose out a bit.  His desire to take over the scouting system will certainly inconvenience Lee Congerton a bit.  And so on.  Poyet stands to make a lot of enemies this next few weeks if he isn't careful. 

I want Poyet to stay here.  His remit was to keep us up and, god knows how, but he did, and that's good enough for me.  Mind you, I've never been entirely convinced by him and I do hope we negotiate a longer contract with him after Xmas, rather than before it.  Let's see how he goes first.  But I suspect it depends how he handles the upcoming meeting with Short, Congerton and Byrne as to whether he'll be our manager or Southampton's next season.  Be careful with your mouth here, Gus.  I hope you do.

Back to top Go down

Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 Empty Gus staying

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-27, 9:13 am

[size=45]Sunderland to reject any Poyet approach from Southampton[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet.

• by Graeme Anderson
  • [email=graeme.anderson@jpress.co.uk@sunechograeme][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] @sunechograeme[/email]

SUNDERLAND will resist any approach from Southampton to poach Gus Poyet should the Saints come calling at the Stadium of Light.

The Uruguayan has been installed as one of the bookies early favourites to take over at St Mary’s if, as seems likely, Mauricio Pochettino quits his job as Southampton manager to take over as Tottenham Hotspur boss.
Spurs supremo Daniel Levy is thought to be in advanced talks with the 42-year-old about taking over from the sacked Tim Sherwood at White Hart Lane.
And with most agencies reporting that the bid to take the former Espanyol boss to North London is almost a done deal, attention has switched to who will succeed the South American at Southampton, with Poyet installed as the early bookies’ favourite.
It is not hard to see why.
Poyet’s standing is high after a remarkable spell at Sunderland saw him pull off the most unlikely of Premier League survivals while taking the club to a Capital One Cup final and FA Cup quarter-final.
During that time he conducted himself with dignity and class, making a positive impression on, as well as off the field.
His four years at Brighton underlined the fact he would have no problems working on the south coast.
But of more relevance is that Poyet is a big admirer of Southampton’s style and squad.
He spoke in glowing terms of the Saints’ side during the season and has even gone as far as to suggest that the current Southampton side are the template Sunderland should model themselves on.
Furthermore, despite his success at the Stadium of Light, there have been suggestions that behind the scenes there are problems at the club, with Poyet himself suggesting in early April: “There is something wrong at the heart of the club and I intend to find out what it is.”
Poyet also made the point in his final Press conference of the season that he intended to press owner Ellis Short on what sort of club he wanted: “Some clubs start the season looking to finish between 12th and 17th. What do we want?
“Normally, you ask what the chairman wants and then you go with the challenge.”
Poyet is an ambitious young manager and will seek assurances from Short that the club has genuine aspirations to be a top 10 side.
Southampton are already a top 10 side of course and could offer Poyet a short-cut to success although there are plenty of other names in the frame - Roberto Di Matteo, Neil Lennon, David Moyes, Dan Petrescu and Michael Laudrup - and Pochettino has not even gone yet.
But regardless of how things pan out between Southampton and Spurs, Sunderland will not welcome any interest in a manager who remains under contract for another year at the Stadium of Light.
West Ham were strongly linked with a move for Sunderland several weeks ago, although nothing came of it.
But had the Hammers come calling, their interest would have been rebuffed and the Black Cats will give the same response to any other club who inquires about an approach for the Uruguayan this summer.
There’s no doubt though that any speculation over Poyet’s position at Sunderland can only strengthen his hand in any internal power struggle at the club.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 9:52 am

Again a copy of a Report from Shields Gazette IMHO worth reading. As I thought last night, there seemed to be a race to be first in print with this story which might give it more substance. I like this reporter who is on the ball (pun intended). Please read it - but I’m not sure you’ll enjoy the message. GusP is going ? Perhaps ? It’s the same theme already posted on here. Remember the pressure builds up on issues like this - like Moyes at ManU, etc. Que sera.
SHIELDS GAZETTE  _  Sunderland will fight moves for Gus Poyet  : SAINTS MOVE? ... Gus Poyet.

by GRAEME ANDERSON Published on the 27 May 2014 08:30 

SUNDERLAND will resist any approach from Southampton to poach Gus Poyet should the Saints come calling at the Stadium of Light. The Uruguayan has been installed as one of the bookies early favourites to take over at St Mary’s if, as seems likely, Mauricio Pochettino quits his job as Southampton manager to take over as Tottenham Hotspur boss.

Spurs supremo Daniel Levy is thought to be in advanced talks with the 42-year-old about taking over from the sacked Tim Sherwood at White Hart Lane. And with most agencies reporting that the bid to take the former Espanyol boss to North London is almost a done deal, attention has switched to who will succeed the South American at Southampton, with Poyet installed as the early bookies’ favourite.

It is not hard to see why.

Poyet’s standing is high after a remarkable spell at Sunderland saw him pull off the most unlikely of Premier League survivals, while taking the club to a Capital One Cup final and FA Cup quarter-final.

During that time he conducted himself with dignity and class, making a positive impression on, as well as off the field. His four years at Brighton underlined the fact he would have no problems working on the south coast.

But of more relevance is that Poyet is a big admirer of Southampton’s style and squad. My highlight)

He spoke in glowing terms of the Saints’ side during the season, and has even gone as far as to suggest that the current Southampton side are the template Sunderland should model themselves on. (Wow ! I didn't know that.)

Furthermore, despite his success at the Stadium of Light, there have been suggestions that behind the scenes there are problems at the club, with Poyet himself suggesting in early April: “There is something wrong at the heart of the club, and I intend to find out what it is.”

Poyet also made the point in his final Press conference of the season that he intended to press owner Ellis Short on what sort of club he wanted: “Some clubs start the season looking to finish between 12th and 17th. What do we want? “Normally, you ask what the chairman wants, and then you go with the challenge.”

Poyet is an ambitious young manager, and will seek assurances from Short that the club has genuine aspirations to be a top-10 side. Southampton are already a top-10 side of course, and could offer Poyet a short-cut to success although there are plenty of other names in the frame – Roberto Di Matteo, Neil Lennon, David Moyes, Dan Petrescu and Michael Laudrup – and Pochettino has not even gone yet.

But regardless of how things pan out between Southampton and Spurs, Sunderland will not welcome any interest in a manager who remains under contract for another year at the Stadium of Light.

West Ham were strongly linked with a move for Sunderland several weeks ago, although nothing came of it.
But had the Hammers come calling, their interest would have been rebuffed, and the Black Cats will give the same response to any other club who inquires about an approach for the Uruguayan this summer.

There’s no doubt though that any speculation over Poyet’s position at Sunderland can only strengthen his hand in any internal power struggle at the club.
mmm
Mm  (not sure wot these “M’s are doing at the end. Perhaps the poor journo was working all night and enjoying a quick snatched Mars bar and the voice recorder caught it. !)

Last edited by Spuggy on 2014-05-27, 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct a spilling erra)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 10:07 am

From Sky Sports (from The Journal )= Transfer news: Seb Larsson not ruling out staying at Sunderland

By Pete O'Rourke -  Last Updated: 27/05/14 9:24am

Seb Larsson: Keeping his options open
t

Seb Larsson has revealed he would be open to the possibility of signing a new deal at Sunderland.

Larsson is out of contract at the Stadium of Light this summer and it seemed like the former Arsenal youngster would leave the club upon the expiration of his contract.

However, Larsson is keeping his options open and has refused to rule out extending his stay on Wearside.

"I've never closed the door. It depends on what the conversations provide, what the club want and I want," Larsson is quoted as saying in The Journal.

"We've had a turbulent two years, but purely socially and in terms of football it has been a good place to be even though it's been up and down. But that does not mean I have signed for them."

Larsson, who has attracted the interest of a number of foreign clubs, has admitted that staying in England would be his preferred option even if he does not end up staying at Sunderland.

"While I have been in England a long time and I feel incredibly good in England," added Larrson. "We thrive socially and in terms of football. I will say it again. Overall, it is the best and most exciting league in the world, I think.

"Thinking about leaving if there is a chance to stay would be pretty difficult. But I'm still open. We look at the options available and will pick out the one that feels best."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 10:14 am

No apologies - Again a copy of a Report from Shields Gazette IMHO worth reading

QUOTE = South American giants want Sunderland striker
RIVER TARGET ... Nacho Scocco.

by GRAEME ANDERSON Published on the 27 May

SOUTH American giants River Plate are looking to make an offer for Sunderland striker Nacho Scocco.

Argentina’s most successful side has joined a queue of clubs from the country interested in taking the 28-year-old back across the Atlantic.

And River are one of the few clubs in South American, who can hope to match the wages the striker is on in England, and make an acceptable transfer offer too.

Scocco only joined the Black Cats in January when he became a £3m buy from Brazilian outfit Internacional, and his time in England has been far from auspicious so far. The forward looked decidedly off the pace in his opening few months at the Stadium of Light, having joined in South America’s close season, and he failed to score in any of his eight appearances. And that failure to have an immediate impact has alerted clubs in Argentina, who are queuing up in case Sunderland are thinking of offloading him.

River are the latest club to place Scocco on their list of targets according to reports from Buenos Aires with Boca Juniors and Newell’s Old Boys also linked with him.

Sunderland however remain in the driving seat with Scocco having signed a two-and-a-half year in January. As well as Sunderland’s desire to keep him, the frontman is also keen to make a success of his stay in the Premier League.

And head coach Gus Poyet’s belief is that Sunderland will not see what he is really capable of until he begins a season on level fitness terms with his team-mates.

Poyet told the Gazette shortly before the end of the season: “We are all different, and how we adapt is different. “It depends on the situation they come into. If you put them into a team that is playing well, it takes them two seconds to adapt. But when a player comes from abroad, and they join a side that is having a bad time, then it takes a lot longer.

“I had hoped Scocco would adapt more quickly, but I’m really looking forward to seeing him in pre-season.

“I don’t think we can really judge him until then, and when he has a full pre-season behind him we might really see the best of him.”

Poyet will know now though, that if he changes his mind, and decides to cut his losses on the striker, he will have no shortage of clubs willing to make a bid for a player whose reputation still remains high in Argentina.

The Uruguayan currently has four strikers to pick from for next season – Scocco, Scottish international Steven Fletcher, who should be fit for the start of next season, American Jozy Altidore, and England Under-21 man Connor Wickham.

Danny Graham is also on the club’s books, but the Teessider is set for another season on loan if Sunderland cannot offload him permanently.

Of the quartet of frontman available, Wickham is the only one who is seen as untouchable by Sunderland, who are already preparing a new and improved deal for the a player who is about to move into the last year of his contract with the Wearsiders.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 12:24 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/news_articles/11236960.Poyet_considers_City_keeper_for_Sunderland/?ref=rss

Poyet considers City keeper for Sunderland
6:07am Tuesday 27th May 2014 in News
Billy - TRANSFER TALK: Sunderland  - Page 3 3046393 Where next? Julian Speroni in action for Crystal Palace against Newcastle
COSTEL PANTILIMON has emerged as one of Gustavo Poyet’s preferred candidates to fill the goalkeeping hole in the Sunderland squad this summer.
Poyet is looking at options to compete with Vito Mannone and the promising Jordan Pickford between the posts next season and Crystal Palace’s Julian Speroni and Pantilimon are two of his likeliest signings.
Both are to become free agents at Palace and Manchester City respectively on July 1 and Sunderland hope to have one of those tied down in advance.

Argentine Speroni, 35, would appear to be in pole position at this stage because of his strong friendship with Poyet.
The pair have known each other for a number of years having struck up a bond when Poyet lived in London, where he played for Tottenham and Chelsea, and Speroni moved to the capital in 2004.
It was something of a surprise when he was not on the retained list revealed by Tony Pulis last week, with the Palace boss looking to bring in a new keeper for his first full season in charge at Selhurst Park.
Speroni, who has been the Eagles’ No 1 for a number of years, would not be entirely satisfied with starting the campaign as understudy to Mannone, but he might be happier than Pantilimon to start there.

City’s second choice shot-stopper has not been offered new terms at this stage, while Richard Wright has because he fulfils homegrown criteria to sit on the bench.
And Pantilimon, 27, is keen to become a number one somewhere after spending the last few years as understudy to England’s Joe Hart at the Etihad Stadium.
The Romanian played when Manchester City defeated Sunderland at Wembley in the Capital One Cup in March. He made just seven Premier League appearances for the champions.
Pantilimon has not been offered a new deal by Blues boss Manuel Pellegrini, along with Joleon Lescott and Gareth Barry. There was talk of him leaving in January but nothing materialised.
Poyet - who needs a new keeper after Oscar Ustari's decision to leave after six months - is pursuing players in a variety of roles and he wants progress.
Sporting director Lee Congerton’s links to Hamburg have raised the possibly of defender Michael Mancienne arriving.
The former Chelsea youngster’s form in the Bundesliga has gone up and down but Congerton, who took him away from Stamford Bridge, is believed to be interested in a deal.
Sunderland will have a significant difference in look to their squad next season, with Poyet keen to make improvements to a pool of players he inherited from Paolo Di Canio last October.
Di Canio, working alongside former director of football Roberto De Fanti, brought in a 14 new players last summer and many failed to impress. A number of them have already been moved on.
But Di Canio has not allowed his Sunderland experience to put him off management, despite lasting just six months at the Stadium of Light – and he is interested in taking over at Celtic following Neil Lennon’s decision to try something new.
DI Canio joined Celtic from AC Milan in 1996 and was Scottish PFA player of the year in his first season at Parkhead.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-27, 1:56 pm

Press Association reporter Simon Peach believes former FC Basel manager Murat Yakin is an outside bet for the Southampton top job.
Current chief Mauricio Pochettino is set to join Tottenham in the coming days, after reports comfirmed Spurs are in 'advanced talks' with the Argentine.
And Peach claims the Saints have their eye on Yakin, 39, along with Derby boss Steve McClaren.
"McClaren is one name that has been thrown in to the ring and makes sense on a number of levels," he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. "He’s done fantastically well with Derby this season.
“The outsider is Murat Yakin,” he added. “He’s done a fantastic job at Basel and has recently left the club. Southampton’s owners are Swiss, he plays good football and he doesn’t speak English, so he ticks all the boxes! He’s an outsider for me.”

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 4:34 pm

Poch to Spurs done deal  - Watch out Shorty

Insider Trading: Pochettino to Tottenham is DONE, and Man City will sort Toure saga
By talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) | Tuesday, May 27, 2014

talkSPORT's man in the know, Warren Haughton, joins Hawksbee and Jacobs to round up all the very latest transfer news and gossip.

He brings us an update on Mauricio Pochettino's future, revealing the Argentine has agreed to take charge of Tottenham and his appointment will be confirmed once a compensation package has been sorted with Southampton.

He also discusses Ashley Cole's likely next move, Tom Ince's proposed switch to Inter Milan and assesses whether Yaya Toure could leave Manchester City after the Ivorian suggested he would be keen on joining PSG.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/insider-trading-pochettino-tottenham-done-and-man-city-will-sort-toure-saga-14052793108#awmoGbw26oeRdw7y.99

This Spurs saga runs like Bale to Real ? No chance. We will fight it all the way, etc.
Over to you now Shorty ?

Ps . the compen is not a problem and can easily be sorted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 4:54 pm

I want Gus to stay but if he wants to go to Southampton, I believe he has a Bus...

Of course all paper talk and a manager merry-go-round...The amount of money that is involved in running a Premier football team is getting so big the whole activity is something of a circus.

We have a USA owner and an Uruguayan manager, although for a Premier side we do have a high number of British players.

We have a highly paid player at Chitty who is whinging about birthday cakes and how PSG is great, probably so he can can a wheelbarrow load of money on top of the shed load he already gets.

Sunderland has only a (comparatively) moderately rich owner who has learnt the hard way that buying players/managers, that their price tag does not always mean getting either quality or loyalty, whether British or overseas.

Success for us in the coming season will mean being 10th or above i.e. not taking part in a relegation dog fight, beating the Mags (2X) and having a couple of good cup runs. Probably around £40m will have to be spent to achieve this less any finds raised from sales (not much in fact) and heaven knows what wages.

More money comes from TV and sponsorship than fans...so 3.00 pm kick offs on a Saturday will be less and less, perhaps we will have to make 3 trips to Southampton for noon kick-offs next season.

I realise all of the above and still I have automatically renewed my season ticket......

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 7:30 pm

So now we know. Over to you Gus.

Arsenal fan Piers Morgan comments on Tottenham's new boss Pochettino

Tottenham Hotspur have announced a deal that sees Mauricio Pochettino leave Southampton to join Spurs.

Swapping Southampton for Spurs is a retrograde move on the part of renowned Argentinean football coach Mauricio Pochettino, according to social media savvy Arsenal supporter Piers Morgan.

Tottenham Hotspur and Pochettino agreed a five year deal, as confirmed by the club's official website earlier today, Tuesday, with chairman Daniel Levy looking forward to "high energy, attacking football [and Pochettino's proven ability to] build a great team spirit and winning mentality."

Pochettino, 42, who had a 38% winning record with the Saints having won 23, drawn 18 and lost 19 from 60 games in charge on the south coast, commented on the "tremendous history" surrounding the White Hart Lane club whilst also expressing his excitement at working with the "abundance of top class talent" at Spurs.

Tottenham finished the Premier League season in sixth place, two positions above Southampton in eighth who, with players like Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana, together with Pochettino, were a part of an exciting package seemingly capable continuing their march up the Premier League ladder when the next season stars, in August.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/05/27/arsenal-fan-piers-morgan-comments-on-tottenhams-new-boss-pochett/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-27, 7:38 pm

Here we go already, and the ink isn't dry yet. Will Gus be the next Soton manager ? Read this in the Star (so it must be true ) -

Quote :
"Ex-Liverpool man Benitez, Man Utd boss Moyes and Spurs gaffer Jol in line for Saints job

A HOST of big names have been linked with the Southampton job after Mauricio Pochettino confirmed he was leaving to join Tottenham."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/380944/Ex-Liverpool-man-Benitez-Man-Utd-boss-Moyes-and-Spurs-gaffer-Jol-in-line-for-Saints-job

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-28, 6:19 am

Come on Spuggy, I'm finding myself logging on waiting for the latest update.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-28, 8:22 am

Wed morning :

Of course, Poch going to Spurs has opened the floodgates and the papers are having a field day with whats happening at WHLane AND SOTON, a club close to GusP’s heart.
But the main focus is Poch and who he takes to Spurs, etc, so we are kept in the dark a bit longer.

1.  N Echo - Wed 6.40 am says, “Sunlan could offer new deal to keep Poy”
The key word there might be “could, “ not “will.” He only has 1yr left on his contract but his relative success and his contacts with 10+yrs experience around London and the South coast make him a popular target darn sarf.
New to me : mention of a linked to a job at his old club Real Zaragossa.

So he’s a likely lad for any top job going. Pardue had better watch out !

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/11239495._/

2.  The bookies are never wrong some say. Betting for the next Soton manager as at this morning : (Sky summary)
Yakin 2/1 from Turkey and Basle
Koeman 4/1
Laudrup 6/1
Poyet 7/1
MacKay 10/1
McClaren 12/1
Lennon 12/1
Moyes 14/1
Benitez 14/1

No mention of Jol here. An impressive list. GusP got some opposition here !

3. COLBACK breaking news in the Chronic :
“Newcastle United facing competition from West Ham for services of Jack Colback
May 28, 2014 06:30 --By Lee Ryder
Decision time is looming for Jack Colback who is eager to make right decision at this stage of his career - but will that be a move to Newcastle United?
Newcastle United are facing competition to sign Jack Colback.
With the decision time on his future fast approaching for Colback, the Chronicle understands that Aston Villa and West Ham have both stepped up their efforts to sign the Sunderland midfielder in the last few days.
The Geordie boy’s contract runs out on June 30 and, having held talks with United, Sunderland, the Hammers and Villa, he could yet opt for a complete fresh start away the North East.” [end]
If it’s true that the lad is so crap he isn’t being offered a decent contact, why is everybody else interested So add Everton, Swansea, etc and there’s an impressive queue out there. I don’t blame him for playing the field. Is it just the free transfer ?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-facing-competition-west-7178665

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-28, 8:39 am

I honestly think Gus will stay and would not be one bit surprised to see Jack here next season

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-28, 9:00 am

Arising out of approaches from Real Z, the Spanish 2nd Div team, is news from Spain that GusP is holding talks with Safc about a new contract TODAY. Or will it be postponed  until more is known about the Soton job ?

Let us hope something is sorted and an announcement can be made today. We all hope that we don’t have a repeat of the Colback situation which just drags on while he decides to stay or go. It is not good that all we talk about is who is going, not new signings.

Meanwhile, it is alleged that he has a release option clause in his contract which lets him go for nothing - an attractive bargaining point for him and any new club. Anybody know anything about this ?

Is this why the Echo is running the story about a new contract this morning ? I always prefer the local press reports who are usually favoured by the Clubs, etc for 1st news.

IMHO the Soton job is an easy one, or at least an easier one. They seem to have a conveyor belt of kids coming through, and so on. There's always a boy somewhere on the books ready to step up and bail you out. Like Wickham did for us. And the manager has more say.

Whereas at Safc there's load of trouble in store waiting to bite the manager on the bum. Ignoring loyalties and my dreams, Soton is at present a much more attractive proposition. It's a no brainer.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-28, 9:17 am

• by Graeme Anderson
  • SUNDERLAND are looking to sign Santiago Vergini permanently with Gus Poyet admitting the centre-half could be key to his plans of squad rebuilding this summer

The 25-year-old joined Sunderland on loan from Argentine side Estudiantes in January, making 14 appearances in total and showing he was equally as comfortable at right-back as he was at centre-half.
And it is that versatility which Poyet has identified as central to creating the right balance in his preferred squad.
The Uruguayan explained: “In any squad, if we play 4-3-3 - my system - I like to have three goalkeepers and seven defenders, NOT eight,”
“I want two players for place in the other positions, but not at the back - I like to use that extra player somewhere else, so you can have a squad of 23.
“If one of the defenders can give you the option to play somewhere else, it helps you.
“When you’ve got a centre-half who is only a centre-half, you need a full-back who can play both sides.
“When you’ve got a centre-back who can play right-back, it gives you a big hand and I know Santiago can play there now.
“I knew it, having watched him play right-back in Argentina, but he has also shown now he can do it well in the Premier League.”
The recent departure of right-back Phil Bardsley to Stoke City has only enhanced the potential importance to a Sunderland squad which currently finds itself without an established full-back with Andrea Dossena having been released and Marcos Alonso and Ondrej Celustka having, like Vergini, finished their loans.
The acquisition of utility man Vergini on a permanent deal would give Poyet scope to increase his first-team options elsewhere.
And the loose arrangement made when he was was first signed in the January transfer window was that a permanent deal would be looked at if Sunderland stayed up and Vergini showed he could perform in English football.
Both those criteria have been met.
But Poyet says that while he hopes Vergini will consider committing his future to Sunderland, it is not something that can be taken for granted.
“It’s something to analyse,” he told the Echo. “Every situation is different.
“We just have to see what happens, we don’t know if he’s got an offer elsewhere.”

C

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-28, 9:19 am

• by Graeme Anderson
  • [email=graeme.anderson@jpress.co.uk@sunechograeme][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] @sunechograeme[/email]

SEB Larsson might prove to be the only one of eight out-of-contract Sunderland players who re-signs for the club.

Of the eight players whose deals will expire next month, Phil Bardsley, Carlos Cuellar, Craig Gardner, Keiren Westwood, Oscar Ustari and Andrea Dossena have already moved on.
That leaves just Larsson and Jack Colback with potential Sunderland futures still to resolve.
Colback’s situation is complicated, with the club having made him a vastly improved offer compared to the derisory rise that Director of Football Roberto De Fanti put on the table last summer.
And Sunderland’s original poor handling of Colback’s case has seen his contract wind down and more than a dozen clubs express an interest in what the 24-year-old midfielder does next.
Newly-married Colback plans to spend some time away before deciding what to do next but there have been suggestions that the chances of him staying on Wearside are slim.
Far more likely at this point is that Sunderland will be able to hang on to Larsson who has revealed that he is considering staying on Wearside.
Initial talks with the club have been productive but Larsson wants to be more involved as a winger - the position he has always felt is his strongest - rather than as a central midfielder.
And he wants to make sure he has a firm part in the club’s future plans as someone in and around the starting 11, rather than as a general squad player.
Several Premier League clubs have shown an interest in the Swedish international but the 28-year-old says he has been happy on Wearside and never saw the end of his contract as a chance to leave the North East..
“I’ve never closed the door,” he said. “It depends on what the conversations provide, what the club want and I want.
“We’ve had a turbulent two years, but purely socially and in terms of football it has been a good place to be even though it’s been up and down.
“But that does not mean I have signed for them.”
Although German side Borussia Monchengladbach have reportedly shown an interest, Larsson plans to stay in English football - be it at Sunderland or elsewhere.
He said: “I have been in England a long time and I feel incredibly good in England.
“We thrive socially and in terms of football, I will say it again - overall, it is the best and most exciting league in the world, I think.
“Thinking about leaving if there is a chance to stay would be pretty difficult.
“But I’m still open.
“We look at the options available and will pick out the one that feels best.”

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-28, 9:42 am

I thought those 2 Sinlan Echo items on Vergini,  Colback and Larsson added that bit more to the jigsaw.

VERGINI -1.  Poyet aims to keep Vergini at Sunderland

As one of those who was terrified every time the ball went near him, IMHO he is now a must sign, and not just because Bards has emigrated. Article also contains useful bits from GusP about his playing philosophy. If this is the sort of player GP can recruit using his S American contacts, I want more. Any ideas about his price ?

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/poyet-aims-to-keep-vergini-at-sunderland-1-6640081

Again, the same message from The Shields Gazette - Graham Anderson who adds :

But Poyet says that while he hopes Vergini will consider committing his future to Sunderland, it is not something that can be taken for granted.
“It’s something to analyse,” he told the Gazette. “Every situation is different.
“We just have to see what happens, we don’t know if he’s got an offer elsewhere.”

Another example of GP telling it as it is, realistic. Somebody is obviously doing a good job feeding these lads in the press - it must be like manna for them !

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/vergini-signing-key-to-sunderland-s-summer-rebuilding-job-1-6640402 

2.  Larsson looks a good bet to stay at Sunderland - G Anderson again

QUOTE : “Newly-married Colback plans to spend some time away before deciding what to do next but there have been suggestions that the chances of him staying on Wearside are slim.
Far more likely at this point is that Sunderland will be able to hang on to Larsson who has revealed that he is considering staying on Wearside." 

Seems Larsson wants to play out more on the wing - play to his strengths ? 

Hurry up Jack !

Last edited by Spuggy on 2014-05-28, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling foreign names corrected !)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-05-28, 10:15 am

First signing. Underwhelmed is first reaction, maybe unfairly as know nothing about the lad.

Defender Billy Jones has agreed a four-year deal at the Stadium of Light and will become a Sunderland player from July 1.
Speaking about the move, the 27-year-old said: “I'm really happy to be here and I'm looking forward to getting back for pre-season and kicking on.
“I've played at the Stadium of Light a number of times so I know what it's about and what great backing the club has.
“I've come to the training ground today and it's amazing. I knew I was signing for a massive club with everything in place to kick on up the league and carry on moving forward.”
Jones spent three years at the Hawthorns, making over 70 appearances for the Baggies having joined from Preston North End in 2011.
The versatile defender began his career with Crewe Alexandra, rising through their academy to play more than 130 times for the club. He then moved to Preston North End, spending four years at Deepdale.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2014-05-28, 10:40 am

I think poyet will move Vergini into the middle and jones will take the right back slot,now whose next in.
Iv'e seen jones a few times and he was one of wba best players last season until he got injured
Rovertsafc
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-28, 10:47 am

Know what you mean Aitch. I am trying to be positive.

Good news is he is a Rt Back so that might give a better Virgini who still hasn't signed but probably pencilled in the centre of defence ?

He was signed on a free transfer by WBA. Looks bit injury prone ? Am told he is not a bad player but he had good defenders around him at WBA. Experienced in the EPL. Age on his side. Only 1 goal at WBA. Steve Clark coaching ?

Who bought him GP or Conger ?

Their local paper says :

QUOTE : "The former Crewe and Preston man was given a final take-it-or-leave-it offer last week to sign a three-year deal at The Hawthorns on improved wages.

But the Black Cats have handed the 27-year-old a longer deal and he has opted to move to Wearside. (WBA offered 3yrs)

Albion were reluctant to break the bank for Jones after a series of niggling injuries restricted his appearances in the last two years.

He had just 21 starts last season."

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-28, 11:07 am

I understand the underwhelmed bit but I guess we need to be realistic.

We need a few players in and some key areas need filling to replace Borini, Ki and maybe Colback and Alonso.

We may very well need at least 1 new striker so Poyet needs to spend wisely.

I would love big names and players who will have me off my seat but that wont happen in every area, lets be honest we are replacing Bardsley, a good honest premier full back, sounds a lot like Jones/

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2014-05-28, 11:09 am

First signing. Underwhelmed is first reaction, maybe unfairly as know nothing about the lad.
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-28, 11:09 am

Cannot remember him playing for the baggies, but it looks as if one average RB out on a free transfer and one average RB in on a free transfer, just hope he is not injury prone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum