SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Am I missing something here EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Am I missing something here EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Am I missing something here Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

Am I missing something here

Go down

Am I missing something here Empty Am I missing something here

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2014-05-06, 12:15 am

The World spends how much time & money searching for a crashed plane in the middle of the Indian ocean...meanwhile in Africa... 

Boko Haram 'to sell' Nigeria girls abducted from Chibok

Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram has threatened to "sell" the hundreds of schoolgirls it abducted three weeks ago.
Militant leader Abubakar Shekau sent a video obtained by the AFP news agency, in which he said for the first time that his group had taken the girls.
About 230 girls are still believed to be missing, prompting widespread criticism of the Nigerian government.
The Boko Haram insurgency has left thousands dead since 2009.
The girls were taken from their boarding school in Chibok, in the northern state of Borno, on the night of 14 April.

'God instructed me'
In the video, Abubakar Shekau said the girls should not have been in school in the first place, but rather should get married.
"God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out his instructions," he said.
However, BBC Hausa Service editor Mansur Liman points out that the Boko Haram leader did not state the number of girls abducted, nor where they were taken or are now.
Assurances from President Goodluck Jonathan have done little to convince Nigerians of the government's commitment to freeing the girls, says our correspondent.
The Associated Press news agency says it is unclear whether the video was made before or after reports last week that some of the girls had been forced to marry their abductors, who paid a nominal bride price of $12 (£7).
Others are reported to have been taken across borders into Cameroon and Chad.
The girls were in their final year of school, most of them aged 16 to 18.
The BBC Hausa Service has received reports of a gun battle on the Nigeria-Cameroon border, and houses being burnt down by individuals suspected to be members of Boko Haram.
No further details are available.

Protest organiser detained
Meanwhile, a woman who helped organise protests over the abduction was detained and later released.
Naomi Mutah was taken to a police station after a meeting called by First Lady Patience Jonathan.
Mrs Jonathan reportedly felt slighted that the girls' mothers had sent Ms Mutah to the meeting instead of going themselves.
Mrs Jonathan is seen as a politically powerful figure in Nigeria but has no constitutional power to order arrests.
Ms Mutah, a representative of the Chibok community, organised a protest last week outside parliament in Abuja.
Pogo Bitrus, another Chibok leader, described Ms Mutah's detention as "insensitive", telling the BBC he hoped Mrs Jonathan would soon "realise her mistake".
The AP news agency quotes another community leader, Saratu Angus Ndirpaya, as saying that Mrs Jonathan accused the activists of fabricating the abductions and supporting Boko Haram.
In a TV broadcast on Sunday, his first comment on the abductions, President Jonathan said he did not know where the girls were but everything was being done to find them.
Are you in Nigeria, or have you been affected by this story? You can share your views and experiences with us by emailing[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] using 'Nigeria missing schoolgirls' in the heading.

Analysis
Muhammad Kabir MuhammadBBC Hausa, Abuja
The Boko Haram video in which the group's leader, Abubakar Shekau, claims responsibility for the abduction of the schoolgirls confirms what has been suspected all along.
It also backs up what local people have been reporting - that the girls have been forcefully married off or sold as slaves to members of the group.
This, in turn, has further pushed up the level of anxiety, particularly among parents and relatives who fear for the safety of the girls, according to Fatima Gana, the founder of a charitable organisation that helps victims of the dreaded group.
However, the video may not change the approach of the government and security agencies to the problem. The security forces say they are making use of all information that might lead to the rescue of the girls.
At a briefing with journalists on Sunday night, President Goodluck Jonathan reassured Nigerians that the government was doing everything possible.
But a Chibok elder, Pogu Bitrus, dismissed the president's assurances as mere talk, saying the community has no confidence that the government and its security apparatus will do now what they have not done in the last three weeks - take some practical measures to secure the release of the girls.
It is a sentiment shared by many Nigerians.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Am I missing something here Empty Re: Am I missing something here

Post  Guest on 2014-05-06, 12:47 am

That occurred to me too........

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-05-06, 5:58 am

Very simple, Nigerian girls, ten a penny, not worth anything like a big plane with a big insurance pay out. Add in the fear that the plane may have been a terrorist attack, you know how paranoid the powers that be are about terrorists.

Its a sad, sad indictment on our crazy mixed up, no screwed up, world that the value and worth of a few hundred Nigerian girls is more to sell on for possible child prostitution than it is to world governments.

It also shows the power of us, the people, we can do sod all about it and the girls will become yesterdays news and forgotten about the next time a royal or celebrity baby is born or a relationship breakup takes place.

At the moment we are in European election mode then heading for general elections and people are surprised at the surge for UKIP and other extreme parties. We have conflict every corner of the world and with the best will in the world things will get worse before they get better. This story, IMO, is typical of why, values that we the public have are a million miles away from the values our world leaders have.

In stark reality we are searching for bodies in the ocean, sad but undoubtedly true those poor souls died some time ago. Those poor children will be very much alive, probably raped and beaten on a daily basis but alive, why cant our leaders just find them and save them.

If they were sitting on a oil filed we would.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-05-06, 11:06 am

Yes indeed, dreadful story and I cannot begin to imagine what those girls are going through. Well I can actually and it is very unpleasant indeed.  Crying or Very sad  Mad 

Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-06, 2:11 pm

it really is scandalous....

Let's hope the west are doing something 'covert'...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-11, 10:12 pm

Well 'the west' certainly will not be getting involved.  Nigeria is a sovereign state, and we don't have the right to just march in and do what we like.  It is possible that Nigeria has requested some form of Commonwealth assistance.  In which case the British Diplomatic Service will do whatever it can.  In some exceptional cases, the Diplomatic Service might spin discussions out as far as they can to allow covert agencies to ascertain what they can and plan an effective operation.  But only as a last resort.

One of the problems is the very public that is demanding action.  Sometimes, the diplomats will get a flat 'no' from the other side, so covert action is taken.  And then the public will throw their hands in the air and say e.g. 'I don't want the government of this country being involved in this sort of thing', blah, blah.  And then the government in office at the time ends up with more electoral egg on it's face than if it had sat on its backside and done nothing!  One of the biggest problems in giving the public what it wants is that it doesn't often know what it DOES want!  And even if it does, it's very prone to singing a different tune next week.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-11, 11:15 pm

Well, in the 5 or so days since my original post, several countries (including USA and UK) have publicly said they are giving support and intelligence...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-05-12, 12:25 am

Fair point, Silvers.  But 'support and intelligence' is not direct action.  Intelligence officers will already be there working under a number of covers - diplomatic, business, administrators, etc.  In terms of passports and other official recognition, they don't exist.  You avoid a whole lot of protocol like that.  These days, intelligence also covers satellite collected information, which doesn't involve any human presence in the country at all.  So yes, support and intelligence can be freely offered.  But unless Nigeria has requested an outside physical presence, a western action wouldn't happen.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-05-12, 3:48 am

Intel will have been done via satellite and drone methods, all done from Whitehall and Washington.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum