SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Dilemma
German football  EmptyToday at 7:47 am by trouble_n_stripes

» Our next game
German football  EmptyToday at 1:17 am by fitz

» 8th favourites for promotion
German football  EmptyYesterday at 9:33 pm by Steve30000

» SACK HIM
German football  EmptyYesterday at 7:58 pm by Steve30000

» Sunderland v Blackpool
German football  EmptyYesterday at 7:29 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» McGeady
German football  EmptyYesterday at 6:55 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions week 18
German football  EmptyYesterday at 1:08 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Political debates
German football  EmptyYesterday at 12:02 pm by Hieronymus

» League Table Week 17
German football  EmptyYesterday at 8:50 am by gil t azell

» Bye bye time to go
German football  EmptyYesterday at 5:24 am by Black Cat Kiwi

German football

Go down

German football  Empty German football

Post  Guest on 2014-03-10, 8:24 pm

Anyone watch bundesliga or bundesliga2 ? I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to it. Love watching St.Pauli and Dortmund.

Back to top Go down

German football  Empty Re: German football

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-03-10, 8:50 pm

Lived in Monchengladbach for a while in the 70s and followed the local team when they were outstanding. Must be honest and say I find the current games fairly dire affairs between teams that have been technically good but uninspiring. I find the second division has more excitement than the Bundesligue.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-03-10, 9:07 pm

I agree. I've heard from friends that the second division is the place to be. Most of us Celtic fans tend to lean towards St Pauli so maybe I'm a tad biased. 
It's annoying that Dortmund keep losing their best players to Bayern. There will be zero competition next season in the bundesliga.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-03-10, 10:53 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Lived in Monchengladbach for a while in the 70s and followed the local team when they were outstanding. Must be honest and say I find the current games fairly dire affairs between teams that have been technically good but uninspiring. I find the second division has more excitement than the Bundesligue.
How do you compare the atmosphere in Germany to British football at that time?

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-03-11, 5:52 am

Going to football in Germany was a pleasure in the early 70s after the mayhem that was occurring in British grounds, I've been a neutral in a lot of English grounds but was treated with hostility from most of the locals because of the accent. The general attitude was that if you weren't one of them then you were an enemy even though you were there just for the game. This was just about the start of supporters who travelled with one thing in mind.

The German experience after that was the total opposite, most of the crowds were made up just of local supporters and they were there for the beer and football. I went to games with neighbours and their families and as my language improved I found the Germans to be just as knowledgeable and supportive of their clubs regardless of performances.

Mind you this was at a time when Gladbacch were on a par with Bayern both in performance and talent and the rivalry was fierce but fair.  Unfortunately, the travelling support began to emerge by the last 70s and what had once been a family day out started to disappear.

As one of the Germans said to me "the English disease has arrived".
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-03-11, 9:00 am

ScotCat-Ghirl wrote:Anyone watch bundesliga or bundesliga2 ? I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to it. Love watching St.Pauli and Dortmund.
What is the connection between Celtic & St. Pauli?
I have seen their stuff on sale in Celtic club shops.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-03-11, 5:48 pm

Billy D wrote:
ScotCat-Ghirl wrote:Anyone watch bundesliga or bundesliga2 ? I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to it. Love watching St.Pauli and Dortmund.
What is the connection between Celtic & St. Pauli?
I have seen their stuff on sale in Celtic club shops.
To be honest Billy, I'm not one hundred percent sure. I think it's the left wing politics. The St Pauli shop sells Celtic tops and friendship scarves. I've not seen any St Pauli gear in the Celtic superstore in a while though. There's an annual get together in Hamburg for fans of both clubs. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jl2SkXfXcbc

Watch that short video. Might explain it better.

I'm currently reading Pirates, a Punks and Politics. Only on chapter three so I'll let you know if there is anything more to it. I know Celtic fans decades ago were in a Hamburg for work and linked themselves with St Pauli and the Rangers fans at the time, linked themselves with HSV.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-03-11, 5:57 pm

Nostalgic - Still is must've been better than modern football. Football is becoming a non contact sport, hardly allowed to put a tackle in these days! Does my head in  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum