SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Being a Geordie EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Being a Geordie EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Being a Geordie Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

Being a Geordie

Go down

Being a Geordie Empty Being a Geordie

Post  Guest on 2014-02-23, 11:21 am

Serious question when did being a Geordie means being from Newcastle or supporting the Mags? Just been listening to the Angelic Upstarts song Kids on the Street and Mensi sings Geordie kids, now for those of you who don't know the Upstarts they're a punk band formed in the late 70's in South Sheilds and their lead Singer is Mensi who is a passionate SAFC fan so why would he sing about Geordie kids if it just meant Newcastle? I remember when I was a kid that I was proud to be a Geordie as was everyone from the NE from County Durham up to the Scottish Border so when did it all change and you suddenly have to be a Mags fan to be a Geordie?

Back to top Go down

Being a Geordie Empty Re: Being a Geordie

Post  Vincemac on 2014-02-23, 11:27 am

froggy1973 wrote:Serious question when did being a Geordie means being from Newcastle or supporting the Mags? Just been listening to the Angelic Upstarts song Kids on the Street and Mensi sings Geordie kids, now for those of you who don't know the Upstarts they're a punk band formed in the late 70's in South Sheilds and their lead Singer is Mensi who is a passionate SAFC fan so why would he sing about Geordie kids if it just meant Newcastle? I remember when I was a kid that I was proud to be a Geordie as was everyone from the NE from County Durham up to the Scottish Border so when did it all change and you suddenly have to be a Mags fan to be a Geordie?

Well I'm a Sunderland supporter through and through till I die.im certainly not a mak am
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-02-23, 11:33 am

That's what I mean Vince mackem was a derogatory term used by the ship builders on the Tyne who used to finish if the ship's the Wear had built. I'm a proud Sunderland fan and used to be proud to call myself a Geordie but no longer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-02-23, 11:55 am

That's why I call them barcodes or nags or mags or twats or anything but Geordies mate know a lot of lads who are Geordies but support SAFC.
ps. Off to see the Upstarts in May at the Office in Shields second time for me first was about 30 years ago can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2014-02-23, 12:30 pm

froggy1973 wrote:That's what I mean Vince mackem was a derogatory term used by the ship builders on the Tyne who used to finish if the ship's the Wear had built. I'm a proud Sunderland fan and used to be proud to call myself a Geordie but no longer.
ye your right people asume that your a mag if your a Geordie.whe ever I'm abroad they all call me and my family Geordies .
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-02-23, 12:40 pm

I think traditionally a Geordie was someone born within sight of the Tyne so, if you were born in South Shields or Gateshead (or even Corbridge  tongue ) as well as Newcastle, you would be a Geordie. Even now most people, in other parts of the UK and the world, consider you to be a Geordie if you speak with a North Eastern accent.

I suspect things changed around the time that the Premier League started. With so much more televised football commentators and punters needed to differentiate between Tyneside and Wearside. And of course this coincided with Kevin Keegan becoming Newcastle manager and getting promotion in 1993. Remember the media love-in that generated with "Newcastle being everyone's favourite second team"   Twisted Evil  And then Keegan stole Paul Bracewell from us and Newcastle suddenly found thousands of 'new' supporters, when they had been getting gates of 18-20K. It was all very infuriating as we floundered around in the First Division as was, so perhaps SAFC supporters started using 'Geordie' as a pejorative then?
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-02-23, 12:55 pm

Born in Gateshead, lived in Jarrow and Hebburn when I was a lad, proud Geordie and Sunderland supporter.

tbh more worried about staying in the Premier League atm than the mags misappropriating the term geordie

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2014-02-23, 12:55 pm

Being a "Furriner from Naarfuk" I didn't know the difference until the tape of "Wearside Jack" turned up in the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. An accent expert placed the voice on the tape as being "Wearside rather than Tyneside" and to be fair, there is a difference probably more noticeable to those of you from the area, pretty much like the difference between Norfolk and Suffolk dialect!

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2014-02-23, 1:28 pm

talcnturnip wrote:That's why I call them barcodes or nags or mags or twats or anything but Geordies mate know a lot of lads who are Geordies but support SAFC.
ps. Off to see the Upstarts in May at the Office in Shields second time for me first was about 30 years ago can't wait.
This..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-02-23, 1:56 pm

You are right Dave. We have a multitude of local 'Geordie' accents, with major variances between rural Northumbrian, Ashington area, Newcasle City, out towards Hexham and Tyne Valley, as well as south of the Tyne, Durham, Sunderland, Darlngton and Middlesbrough. All different to us whose ears are attuned to it but sounding very similar to 'furriners', even adopted ones like your good self  Very Happy 
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2014-02-23, 6:39 pm

As soon as my accent is heard people stick the Geordie label on and that stuck throughout my time in the forces.

Only became aware of the Mackem label when I moved back in 87.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2014-02-23, 8:28 pm

Nostalgic wrote:As soon as my accent is heard people stick the Geordie label on and that stuck throughout my time in the forces.

Only became aware of the Mackem label when I moved back in 87.
I had never heard the word mak am untill 1987.i actually thought it had something to do with Laurie Mac mename.
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-02-23, 9:48 pm

canary-dave wrote:Being a "Furriner from Naarfuk" I didn't know the difference until the tape of "Wearside Jack" turned up in the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. An accent expert placed the voice on the tape as being "Wearside rather than Tyneside" and to be fair, there is a difference probably more noticeable to those of you from the area, pretty much like the difference between Norfolk and Suffolk dialect!

Well, obviously I can tell the difference in the accents of Tyne and Wear..

However, when the  'Jack' tape was played, my late mother said, that's someone from Castletown !

What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum