SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Favourites
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. EmptyYesterday at 6:38 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Retained List
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-16, 8:40 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Lee Cattermole
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-16, 9:30 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» I fell for that!
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-14, 10:37 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland Legends
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-14, 9:40 am by Hieronymus

» Molyneux gone
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-14, 9:33 am by Hieronymus

» what would you do?
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-14, 8:28 am by Kipper

» Killing the golden goose
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-12, 9:21 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Its happened
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-12, 8:56 am by cyprussyd

» Takeover
November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty2019-06-11, 8:51 am by Kipper

November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour.

Go down

November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour.

Post  Guest on 2013-11-17, 4:41 am

Towards 5 pm, our phone rang.  My old man, who was home from sea, answered it, spoke briefly, made another call, and came back with his raincoat in his hand.  "Something's happened at Seaham." he told us.  A taxi rolled up and he was gone.

Something very bad had indeed happened at Seaham.

Between 2.30 and 3 p.m., the coble Economy left Seaham on routine fishing operations. The weather off Dawdon at 3.45 p.m. : "Visibility was fair, although it was drizzling, and the sea had only a moderate swell."

Within half an hour, Economy had sent up a flare and the Seaham lifeboat, George Elmy was out! The wind then was 60 m.p.h., and the sea "monstrous".  By about 5 p.m., all hands from the lifeboat were dead, and all but one from Economy. (Quotes are from the Coroner's Report).

A much fuller account can be found at  :

http://www.east-durham.co.uk/seaham/lifeboats.htm

Note in particular the confusion caused by two red lights.  The coxwain had made one run on the harbout piers before they realized that it was the wrong red light they were heading towards, and had to veer north for a second shot.  It was that second attempt to reach the harbour gates that brought about the capsize of the lifeboat.  I’m not aware of anything being done to sort out that second red light, but I hope it has been sorted.

My old man was in the search team on Dawdon beach that night.  I remember him coming home around 12.45 a.m.  He didn’t need to tell us anything – it was written all over him.  Dejected.

I understand that the George Elmy has now been bought, restored, and returned to Seaham Harbour.  I’m glad.

Back to top Go down

November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty Re: November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour.

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-17, 8:55 am

A sad story cutey but at the same time an uplifting one of bravery.

Still today we find bankers, butchers, labourers, shop workers, engineers, the list goes on. All ready to run to their stations and go out into a cruel sea without a second thought, just to help.

Oh to have that bravery.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour. Empty Re: November 17th., 1962 - Seaham's Darkest Hour.

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-17, 9:17 am

A very sad story indeed, and one that brings home the dangers that these volunteer lifeboat men can face, which is still true now..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-11-17, 1:38 pm

A sad story indeed. I always put change into the lifeboat charity boxes. Like Syd, I always feel it is wonderful to know we still have altruistic people, from all walks of life, willing to risk their own lives to save others.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2013-11-17, 3:09 pm

Damn you cutey, I feel desperately ill, not eaten for three days and now you've made me cry! What a very sad tale of genuine heroism!

canary-dave
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-17, 3:47 pm

canary-dave wrote:Damn you cutey, I feel desperately ill, not eaten for three days and now you've made me cry! What a very sad tale of genuine heroism!

Now then David, whats wrong with hou my friend

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2013-11-17, 3:51 pm

Flu Syd, I've not eaten for three days so God knows what I'm throwing up!

affraid

canary-dave
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-17, 4:58 pm

canary-dave wrote:Flu Syd, I've not eaten for three days so God knows what I'm throwing up!

affraid
isn't bird flu meant to be dangerous?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2013-11-17, 5:01 pm

Don't make me laugh, it hurts even more when I laugh!

canary-dave
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-18, 5:06 am

MrRAWhite wrote:A very sad story indeed, and one that brings home the dangers that these volunteer lifeboat men can face, which is still true now..
Especially so on the east coast, MrRAW. When Red Adair came to an oil rig off Aberdeen, he said the North Sea was "the most unpredictable sea in the world". There are three elements - a northern feed from the Arctic, an eastern feed from the Baltic, and the full force of the Atlantic being channeled through that narrow funnel off Kent. Where they meet up and with what force is pure guesswork at all times, and can change in minutes. It's a nasty coast to work, and seamanship has to be excellent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-18, 5:10 am

canary-dave wrote:Damn you cutey, I feel desperately ill, not eaten for three days and now you've made me cry! What a very sad tale of genuine heroism!
What's up, Dave - got the gout? You can't go three days without food and stay healthy, man. Have you tried soup?

Hope you get well soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum