SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Predictions Week 08
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyToday at 4:06 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Sunderland Goalkeeper suffers broken arm
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyToday at 3:14 pm by Kipper

» Bolton Wanders v Sunderland AFC
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyToday at 12:02 pm by barrowmackem

» Jack Ross
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyToday at 9:56 am by Kipper

» Has Donald been told to zip it
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyYesterday at 9:36 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions Week 11
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyYesterday at 9:28 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Predictions Week 10
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyYesterday at 9:27 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Predictions Week 09
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» FFP, FPP
Nov 7th 1979 EmptyYesterday at 10:27 am by Kipper

» RESULTS OF WEEK 5 AND FIXTURES FOR WEEK 6
Nov 7th 1979 Empty2019-09-18, 9:28 pm by Hieronymus

Nov 7th 1979

Go down

Nov 7th 1979 Empty Nov 7th 1979

Post  Guest on 2013-11-07, 9:10 am

SAFC centenary year, to mark it, SAFC played an England X1.

England won 2-0, two goals from Bob Latchford.

Did anyone go, does anyone remember it?

Not much info on it.

Back to top Go down

Nov 7th 1979 Empty Re: Nov 7th 1979

Post  Guest on 2013-11-07, 9:14 am

No mate that was the year I started going to Roker though got to admit I missed that one.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-07, 11:30 am

I had been married to Mrs H the first for 9 years and my son was 2 going on 3.

Was working at DJB in Peterlee in engineering and spent most Friday nights at the Catholic club in Peterlee playing cards and drinking.

My life was planned and life was sweet, the plans did not work out and I dont remember that game.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-07, 12:51 pm

Didn't Shaun Elliot play for 'England' that night? Or was there also an England 'B' Team match that season at Roker?

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2013-11-07, 7:01 pm

commachio wrote:SAFC centenary year, to mark it, SAFC played an England X1.

Not much info on it.
You know I was really into Sunderland at that time of my life.i was on the committee at segga club safc branch and went home and away.we attended the Mecca for the centenary celebration.i mixed and met with the current and past players.i really can't recall that game.having said all that I probably did go as I went to them all but I can't remember.
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-07, 7:06 pm

Vincent wrote:

Not much info on it.
You know I was really into Sunderland at that time of my life.i was on the committee at segga club safc branch and went home and away.we attended the Mecca for the centenary celebration.i mixed and met with the current and past players.i really can't recall that game.having said all that I probably did go as I went to them all but I can't remember.
Could it have been the    glass glass pint pint pint pint wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2013-11-07, 7:31 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincent wrote:

Not much info on it.
Could it have been the    glass glass pint pint pint pint wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2 wg2
Eeeeerr maybe
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-07, 7:43 pm

I was at the game, but can't remember anything memorable about it..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-07, 9:42 pm

It doesn't surprise me that anyone who was there remembers little about it.  It was rubbish.  I went and kept the programme, which is the only reason I know anything about it either.

The Sunderland team was Barry Siddall, Steve Whitworth, Joe Bolton, Jeff Clarke, Shaun Elliott, Bob Hindmarch, Kevin Arnott, Tim Gilbert, Alan Brown, Gary Rowell, Barry Dunn, Chris Turner, Gordon Chisholm.

The 'England' team was John Burridge (Crystal Palace) John Gidman (Everton) John Bailey (Everton) Steve Williams (Southampton) Stuart Boam (Newcastle) Billy Gilbert (Crystal Palace) Steve Daley (Manchester City) David Armstrong (Middlesbrough) Bob Latchford (Everton) Peter Withe (Newcastle) David Hodgson, Irving Nattrass, and Craig Johnston (all Middlesbrough).

At the last minute they got Dennis Tueart Billy Hughes and Dick Malone to play, but Tueart could only play for the first twenty minutes as he had to be off to open a night club somewhere.

Nobody put themselves out, and the only real football we saw was from Malone, who frankly, outclassed everybody else on the field.  The only other memorable thing about it was that Barry Siddall decided to swap places with Chris Turner at half-time, and played the rest of the game at centre-forward.  At least Barry buggered about in an entertaining way, unlike some of the others, who just buggered about!

I was next to a mining engineer, who had flown in from Peru especially for that game.  I felt really sorry for him.  Something like 20,000 miles round trip for that!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-07, 9:56 pm

cuteybuns wrote:It doesn't surprise me that anyone who was there remembers little about it.  It was rubbish.  I went and kept the programme, which is the only reason I know anything about it either.

The Sunderland team was Barry Siddall, Steve Whitworth, Joe Bolton, Jeff Clarke, Shaun Elliott, Bob Hindmarch, Kevin Arnott, Tim Gilbert, Alan Brown, Gary Rowell, Barry Dunn, Chris Turner, Gordon Chisholm.

The 'England' team was John Burridge (Crystal Palace) John Gidman (Everton) John Bailey (Everton) Steve Williams (Southampton) Stuart Boam (Newcastle) Billy Gilbert (Crystal Palace) Steve Daley (Manchester City) David Armstrong (Middlesbrough) Bob Latchford (Everton) Peter Withe (Newcastle) David Hodgson, Irving Nattrass, and Craig Johnston (all Middlesbrough).

At the last minute they got Dennis Tueart Billy Hughes and Dick Malone to play, but Tueart could only play for the first twenty minutes as he had to be off to open a night club somewhere.

Nobody put themselves out, and the only real football we saw was from Malone, who frankly, outclassed everybody else on the field.  The only other memorable thing about it was that Barry Siddall decided to swap places with Chris Turner at half-time, and played the rest of the game at centre-forward.  At least Barry buggered about in an entertaining way, unlike some of the others, who just buggered about!

I was next to a mining engineer, who had flown in from Peru especially for that game.  I felt really sorry for him.  Something like 20,000 miles round trip for that!
nothing changes then

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum