SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Sunderland v Southampton EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Sunderland v Southampton EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Sunderland v Southampton Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

Sunderland v Southampton

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sunderland v Southampton Empty Sunderland v Southampton

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-03, 5:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whatever the plan was for team selection I think the events at Hull may change them.

Still early to know about Westwood's injury but Mannone would probably have started anyway, he now could have the chance to claim the number 1 shirt.

The back 4 needs to change with the left back out and I can see Celuska at right back and Bardsley moving to the left, if they work well, cant see any reason why they wont, then they could be our full backs for some time.

In the middle I can see Brown getting a 90 minute audition for the weekend and expect to see him alongside O'Shea, not my preferred option but a sensible one.

Midfield will depend a lot, IMO, on how well Colback recovers, he was out on his feet at Hull but he is a fit lad so should be OK and I see him with KI.

I think Johnson will be back and I will be pleased to see that, disappointing he may well be but he still, for me, is more of a threat than other options.

I also expect to see Giac back, what role will depend on Borini and Altidore, do they play or go on the bench?

Despite our horror show first half at Hull I still wont write the team off, 2 sendings off killed our chances stone dead but the right combination will dig us out, hopefully Poyet is a lot nearer finding that combination and Wednesday will see a dress  rehearsale for the weekend.

Chin up people, I'm sure Dave is a lot more concerned than we are.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2013-11-04, 8:08 am; edited 7 times in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Sunderland v Southampton Empty Re: Sunderland v Southampton

Post  Guest on 2013-11-03, 8:57 am

I'm a relegation virgin. Hopefully it's gentle, and someone will hold me after.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2013-11-03, 10:38 am

cyprussyd wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whatever the plan was for team selection I think the events at Hull may change them.

Still early to know about Westwood's injury but Mannone would probably have started anyway, he now could have the chance to claim the number 1 shirt.

The back 4 needs to change with the left back out and I can see Celuska at right back and Bardsley moving to the left, if they work well, cant see any reason why they wont, then they could be our full backs for some time.

In the middle I can see Brown getting a 90 minute audition for the weekend and expect to see him alongside O'Shea, not my preferred option but a sensible one.

Midfield will depend a lot, IMO, on how well Colback recovers, he was out on his feet at Hull but he is a fit lad so should be OK and I see him with KI.

I think Johnson will be back and I will be pleased to see that, disappointing he may well be but he still, for me, is more of a threat than other options.

I also expect to see Giac back, what role will depend on Borini and Altidore, do they play or go on the bench?

Despite our horror show first half at Hull I still wont write the team off, 2 sendings off killed our chances stone dead but the right combination will dig us out, hopefully Poyet is a lot nearer finding that combination and Wednesday will see a dress  rehearsale for the weekend.

Chin up people, I'm sure Dave is a lot more concerned than we are.
I can still see use getting out of this trouble
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-04, 8:05 am

Maybe I'm punch drunk, deluded, a fool or all 3 but the boys in red and white seldom get me down for long these days.

I find myself looking forward to Wednesday night but TBH its not the football or result, its the team selection, will we stick with the old guard, give fringe players the chance of a game or, and this is my hope, try out the team and tactics that will dig us out of trouble?

Poyet now knows what we know, the present team cant get us out of this, they are near but not nearer enough.

He also knows that both Cattermole and Dossena are out for a minimum of three games and Westwood could be with them.

Coming up we have teams that we will never be able to out play and we cant sit back and hope, but, the Newcastle game showed what we can do, intense pressure, in your face football, question is, can we do it on a consistent basis, it seems not.

Now unlike many neither Poyet or I can give up, write this season off and accept relegation, give me all the statistics you like they are  what's gone, I am only interested in what is ahead and so will Poyet.

Not a statistic but a fact, we cant change whats gone but we can learn from it and affect the future.

Thats why I look forward to Wednesday, to see how Poyet tries to change the future, that's what excites me and thats what I will be looking for.

The Newcastle game showed me that whatever team I hear before kick off is only part of the story, its how they set up and how they set off.

Even then, if its going wrong, I will be looking at what Poyet does, even on Saturday when we had a crap first half and lost two players Poyet did the job, his changes brought us a very good second half and almost got us a point.

Thats why I get excited by this manager, Bruce was lost in the end O'Neill just did not change things and Di Canio was simply a mystery, Poyet so far seems to know the answers.

You may well say, yes but we still are played 3 won 1 under him and that is one stat I agree with, he has had 3 games and won the one at home. He lost his first and was let down in his third by 2 sendings off.

We may just win our next 2 home games and be in the final stages of the cup and 3 points better off.

Come on, cheer up, we are Sunderland, its always like this.love sunderland love sunderland

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-04, 11:27 am

Yes, we are used to the roller coaster ride are we not...........

If the players show effort I can't criticise them .. they are doing their best.

Hopefully, we now have a manager who the players respect and will be guided by....

All is not lost...  well not quite yet.......

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-04, 11:44 am

Sunderland’s Wes Brown hopes to return for Southampton Cup clash

Wes Brown of Sunderland clears the ball from Hull City's Ahmed Elmohamady.

WES BROWN hopes he can continue his injury comeback by starting Wednesday’s Capital One Cup clash with Southampton after making his first competitive appearance in almost two years.

Brown was a half-time substitute in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Hull City, as nine-man Sunderland’s hopes of building on their derby triumph were thwarted by the quick-fire double dismissal of Lee Cattermole and Andrea Dossena.
The former England international’s previous Premier League outing was in January, 2012, with a pre-season knee problem scuppering his hopes of being fit for the start of the campaign.
But Brown has been training unscathed for several weeks and after two 90-minute run-outs for the Under-21s, the 34-year-old returned at the KC Stadium and has now set his sights on a first start in this week’s last 16 cup tie with the Saints.
Brown told the Echo: “It was only 45 minutes, so for myself that was fine. It was good.
“It was just good to be back in the swing of things.
“Hopefully I can get a chance against Southampton. That’s what I’ve been working for that’s why I’ve been working hard in training.
“We’ll see what happens, but, touch wood, I can play a part.
“I’ve had a few reserve games so I was always looking to come back into the Hull game and be in the squad.
“But it was disappointing with the way I came back after getting two men sent off in the first half. It was always going to be a battle from then on.
“It’s good to be back. To be fair, I’ve been training for three or four weeks now.
“I had a few reserve games just to get me back into it.
“But obviously playing first-team football is a lot different.”
Brown was part of a spirited second-half display from Sunderland, who refused to throw in the towel and could have even grabbed a shock leveller through half-time substitute Adam Johnson.
But Gus Poyet’s side paid the price for the double dismissal of Lee Cattermole and Andrea Dossena, who were both handed straight red cards in first-half stoppage time.
“With nine men, we just had to do what we could,” added Brown.
“We didn’t let any goals in during the second half, but it was always going to be difficult.
“I don’t think I’ve ever played in a game where two men have been sent off so quickly.
“They were only in the space of four minutes. That made it difficult.
“We tried to make it difficult for them, which I think we did.
“Obviously they had a lot of the ball and put in a lot of crosses, but I thought we dealt with them quite well.
“And we had a couple of chances ourselves when we could have nicked one.
“But if we were going to score, it was going to be that single chance, when we were maybe a bit unlucky.”

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-04, 1:00 pm

It's the cup, owt can happen, maybe S'ton are thinking of playing a weakened team and concentrating on the league, let's go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-04, 1:13 pm

I think Poyet will pick the team he hopes will do a job on Sunday so wont start with fringe players but his starting 11 for the weekend.

My guess....

MANNONE
CELUSKA..OSHEA..BROWN..BARSLEY
LARSSON..KI..COLBACK..JOHNSON
GIACCARINI
FLETCHER

The bench could be interesting and I would like to see Cabral, Diakite and Roberg there.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-04, 3:18 pm

Yes, I'd like to see Cabral, Diakite and Roberge on the bench at least.  They've been out in the cold too long, and might soon be losing interest.  They need some encouraging signs.

First goal - Bardsley from 25 yards.  And, in a post-match interview, he'll dedicate it to Paolo!  Wouldn't that be just like him?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-04, 3:25 pm

cuteybuns wrote:Yes, I'd like to see Cabral, Diakite and Roberge on the bench at least.  They've been out in the cold too long, and might soon be losing interest.  They need some encouraging signs.

First goal - Bardsley from 25 yards.  And, in a post-match interview, he'll dedicate it to Paolo!  Wouldn't that be just like him?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Hillarious Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy lol!  lol!  lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-05, 12:25 pm

Lots of empty seats so should get home early, every cloud they say.

Maybe I need to up my medication because I am looking forward to it. pale pale pale pale pale pale pale pale

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-05, 12:35 pm

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-05, 12:48 pm

Sunderland v Southampton Sun1_zps15f2f6ef

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-05, 1:01 pm

silvers wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6 sleeps

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-05, 2:16 pm

Ballin Boy wrote:I'm a relegation virgin. Hopefully it's gentle, and someone will hold me after.
You must be very young or a relatively new Sunderland supporter then?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-05, 2:22 pm

The team for Southampton?

The sub in goal

Then what about a back 3 and 2 wing backs? Say Brown, JS and Roberge and Celsutka and Bardsley as wingbacks, AJ, Altiadore and Giac up front with Ki and Jack centre midfield?

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-05, 4:46 pm

I really hope we change things round for this one to try and find a winning formula..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-05, 4:46 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
Ballin Boy wrote:I'm a relegation virgin. Hopefully it's gentle, and someone will hold me after.
You must be very young or a relatively new Sunderland supporter then?
22 is not young for this forum its embryonic..

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-05, 10:01 pm

Tomorrow night at this time I will be looking forward to the Chelsea game after our magnificent win

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-05, 11:10 pm

I'm in the North Stand tomorrow and will be attempting mission impossible: getting them singing that is..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-06, 5:17 am

A lucky omen, 11 years ago today, also Wed 6th Nov, in the league cup, lads went to Highbury...

Came away 3-2 winners.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-11-06, 7:10 am

MrRAWhite wrote:I'm in the North Stand tomorrow and will be attempting mission impossible: getting them singing that is..
Looking at the stadium plan you may be singing alone

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-06, 9:54 am

ATM I am not going, but the siren call might happen about 6.00 pm and the car will drive to the stadium. The thing is I am not sure I could stand another awful display and result..I know we have all been here before. But at least against Chitty I sort of expect to lose and hope to win. Against Southampton we should be in a position that I expect us to win...but we all know how badly we are playing and performing, basically all this year. Apart from beating the mags we are useless.

If I do end there tonight and we lose I am not sure what my mood will be...not quite snapping my season ticket madness..but close to it.

If any more players come out and talk about how they are going to turn it round etc etc I just despair they should do their talking on the pitch.

So protect Fletcher and a couple of other players, so they do not start but could have 30 mins run out in the 2nd half..and as I've mentioned above we have nothing to lose by trying a new formation to stem the shipping of goals which would at least give us a half chance as we could manage one goal perhaps

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-11-06, 10:08 am

yes, another loss would just add to the supporters' woes..

A good opportunity to look at some fresh faces...

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-11-06, 11:25 am

When the going gets tough, then that's when supporters can make a difference..Remember: you can't make a difference sitting at home listening on the radio..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum