SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Top 2 no chance
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 1:34 pm by Vincemac

» Bit of advice please Sid
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 1:08 pm by Sid MCFC

» Blackpool interest in grigg
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 12:48 pm by Steve30000

» I know I shouldn't laugh but..
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 12:48 pm by Sid MCFC

» 8th favourites for promotion
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 11:57 am by gil t azell

» Dilemma
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 7:47 am by trouble_n_stripes

» Our next game
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyToday at 1:17 am by fitz

» SACK HIM
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyYesterday at 7:58 pm by Steve30000

» Sunderland v Blackpool
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyYesterday at 7:29 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» McGeady
club - Club confirm new head coach EmptyYesterday at 6:55 pm by cyprussyd

Club confirm new head coach

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

club - Club confirm new head coach Empty Club confirm new head coach

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2013-10-08, 8:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Club confirm new head coach

Published: 08 October, 2013
by Sunderland AFC

Poyet to take charge of Black Cats.
Sunderland AFC has today announced the appointment of Gustavo Poyet as head coach.
The 45 year-old has agreed a two year contract at the Stadium of Light and will take charge of the Black Cats with immediate effect.
The Uruguayan began his coaching career in England in 2006 at Swindon Town, before joining Leeds United as assistant manager. After a year at Elland Road, Poyet returned to his former club Tottenham Hotspur as First Team Coach, before becoming Assistant Manager to Juande Ramos.
In 2009 he was appointed as manager at Brighton and Hove Albion. During his tenure on the south coast, he led the club to promotion to the Championship and reached the play-off semi-finals. At the end of the 2010-11 season Poyet was awarded the title of LMA League One Manager of the Year.
Speaking about the appointment, Sunderland AFC Chairman, Ellis Short, said: “We analysed a wide range of candidates and believe that Gus's track record, experience, commitment and passion make him the right man to take us forward."
“We welcome him to Sunderland.”
Poyet first arrived in English football as a player with Chelsea in 1997 where he went on to make 105 appearances, scoring 36 goals for the Blues. He then moved to London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in 2001, where he spent three years as a player. He was capped 26 times for his country.
Poyet will be joined at the Stadium of Light by his backroom staff Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

club - Club confirm new head coach Empty Re: Club confirm new head coach

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 8:37 am

About time, now let him spend some time working with most of the squad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:07 am

Poyet strikes me as another di Canio, but with less abrasive edges.  I say this as a good thing - I still believe di Canio will one day prove an excellent manager.  But he'll have to learn what Poyet's already learned most of.

Go, Gus.  Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:13 am

cuteybuns wrote:Poyet strikes me as another di Canio, but with less abrasive edges.  I say this as a good thing - I still believe di Canio will one day prove an excellent manager.  But he'll have to learn what Poyet's already learned most of.

Go, Gus.  Good luck.
A ride on the magic Gus bus?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:20 am

welcome to the madhouse which is north east football gus.i hope he just gets on with the job without having to have a chat with our senior players.this seems to be normal these days.a two year contract remembering where we are in the leaague doesnt give me much confidence that ellis thinks he is the answer long term.will ellis back gus financially not this summer but the summer after if his contract is up in october 2015.i know its only 6 months more but would a two and a half year contract not have been better for both partys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:26 am

Two year contract - very wise.  If we're anywhere near relegation come March, Poyet is gone.  This contract means less pay-off.  If we stop being relegation candidates season after season, Gus can expect a decent extension.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:42 am

cuteybuns wrote:Two year contract - very wise.  If we're anywhere near relegation come March, Poyet is gone.  This contract means less pay-off.  If we stop being relegation candidates season after season, Gus can expect a decent extension.
my reading of the 2 year deal, is that if we go down, then he'll be given a crack at getting us back up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:48 am

i suppose gus was desperate to get back into management so beggers carnt be choosers.no proven half decent manager would accept a 2 year contract with us bottom of the premiership .it just doesnt look to me like ellis has much confidence in gus.its the length of contract bally would have got i would think ass he has little experience as a manager.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 9:50 am

but he will only have one season to get us back so ellis carnt even think he is the right man to taake us up.i think a 3 year contract should have been given if ellis is thinking gus is the man to take us back up.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-08, 10:00 am

Thats a shock, didnt see that one coming
tc1 tc1 tc1 tc1 tc1 tc1 tc1 

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 10:07 am

"Here at the club, like every supporter, we would like to see long-term success on the pitch and stability at the club.  Unfortunately sometimes the quest for stability can be interrupted by the absolute necessity of staying in the league." - Ellis Short in Saturday's match programme.

That makes it very clear that if we're looking like relegation, no manager is staying here.  It's a stick-and-carrot contract.  Get us out of this perennial battle, and you'll get a good extension.  If you don't you're gone, and we'll find someone who can.  This is Poyet's first crack at an EPL position, so of course he took it.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-08, 10:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 10:54 am

Call me a cynic but it appears that Mr. Short has realised that we are likely to need a man to keep us high in the Championship next season.

Hopefully he will bring us right back up, then we can get a proper Premier league manager in the hot seat. Razz

...too many times have we drawn the short straw, and I genuinely can't see how this signing breaks that mould.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 11:13 am

philiphunter wrote:Call me a cynic but it appears that Mr. Short has realised that we are likely to need a man to keep us high in the Championship next season.

Hopefully he will bring us right back up, then we can get a proper Premier league manager in the hot seat. Razz

...too many times have we drawn the short straw, and I genuinely can't see how this signing breaks that mould.
So there's one for relegation, wonder how it would go if it went to a poll.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 11:24 am

commachio wrote:
philiphunter wrote:Call me a cynic but it appears that Mr. Short has realised that we are likely to need a man to keep us high in the Championship next season.

So there's one for relegation, wonder how it would go if it went to a poll.
Last season it was QPR who survived on hope, but the inevitable happened.  This season we look that that one club who is a sure bet for the drop.

I hope to hell that we defy the odds and stay up; but I suspect this will turn out to be another SAFC dream that doesn’t come true.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-08, 11:24 am

I dont for one minute see us going down, not one doubt in my mind.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 11:26 am

cyprussyd wrote:I dont for one minute see us going down, not one doubt in my mind.
I hope you are right, but where is the evidence?

Can't you see the similarities between us and previous clubs with teams in relegation form?

Tell me from the next few games where we are going to get the points?

Back to top Go down

Post  fulwellend47 on 2013-10-08, 11:30 am

Yes you're a cynic! Give the man a chance and he could become a proper Premier league manager.
fulwellend47
fulwellend47
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 11:31 am

i dont see any evidence that we will definitely not go down unless you know there will be no relegation this season.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-08, 11:37 am

philiphunter wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:I dont for one minute see us going down, not one doubt in my mind.

Can't you see the similarities between us and previous clubs with teams in relegation form?

We all see what we want to see IMO. Every game except WBA has shown me a team that can be very good and certainly be a mid table team at worst.

We have failed because of some poor defending, individual errors, some bad finishing and some bad luck.

My belief is that Poyet will put right those defensive errors, Fletcher will put right those missed chances and all we will then need is that bit of luck. I'm not alone in those views, most so called experts agree and have all said it after most games.

Add in that some of our games have been against teams we would expect to lose to, some team selection has been head scratching and team moral has been rock bottom.

Why cant we get a result at Swansea and against Newcastle, neither are setting the premier league alight.

TBH if I had the we are doomed attitude I would simply stop going, dont need that kind of suffering.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-10-08, 11:47 am

safc4eva wrote:i dont see any evidence that we will definitely not go down unless you know there will be no relegation this season.
Triple negatives in that sentence. What a surprise.tongue 

There are still 93 points to play for and I believe we have the squad to get us out of trouble. That is all the evidence I need. With the January transfer window to come I am convinced we will get out of trouble. KTF Very Happy 
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 11:50 am

who is saying we are doomed.we are looking more doomed than definitely staying up.i could say we will win the league because we still have enough points available to do it .we are bottom because thats where we deserve to be.you are correct when you say we can beat swansea and newcastle with the derby game easier than our trip to wales.newcastle have one of the worst defences in the league so will it be jonnos day because they are crap at fulbacks.when will fletch be back because he could be the main reason if we survive.altidore is the new heskey.he will not score 10 a season but is a handful and his going down easy also reminds me of heskey.he takes himself out of the game when he stays down uninjured.i know all teams have plaayers who go down easy but i would like to think gus has a word and toughens him up.i'd play fletch up front on his own and crowd the midfield until the points start coming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 12:15 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
philiphunter wrote:

We all see what we want to see IMO. Every game except WBA has shown me a team that can be very good and certainly be a mid table team at worst.

We have failed because of some poor defending, individual errors, some bad finishing and some bad luck.

My belief is that Poyet will put right those defensive errors, Fletcher will put right those missed chances and all we will then need is that bit of luck. I'm not alone in those views, most so called experts agree and have all said it after most games.

Add in that some of our games have been against teams we would expect to lose to, some team selection has been head scratching and team moral has been rock bottom.

Why cant we get a result at Swansea and against Newcastle, neither are setting the premier league alight.

TBH if I had the we are doomed attitude I would simply stop going, dont need that kind of suffering.

I don't have the attitude that we are 'doomed', but I do expect to see us set the Championship alight next season before coming back up and having a go at the middle of the table.

The performance of the team and the club have nothing to do with an individual fan's attitude and I don't wish to spend another season living in hope to be badly let down.  In my mind I am willing to face the likelyhood of relegation yet knowing that this is football and anything can happen (if we win the next 4 games it will be a different story, but it won't happen).

I definitely do not want SAFC to perform badly or to be relegated but also I do not want the club become a laughing stock through delusions of grandeur; saying that 'we are going to win the title' does not make us optimistic it make us deluded.

I affiliate myself with SAFC and am proud to be associate with a club that believes that 'hard work and good decision making means we can be the best we can be'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-08, 12:33 pm

on here you cannot be that negative because you will be accused of being a mag and there will be ganging on you.you have been warned.its best to say we will survive for definite even though there is no proof at the moment to say we are any better than any other team.having good spells in a game does not suggest we are better than the opposition throughout the full game.getting beat 1 v 0 after we have hit the post does not mean we deserved a draw.thats me waiting for another bullying on here for being realistic or negative as some would say.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-08, 1:19 pm

Why we all need to get behind the new manager...

The former Uruguay international becomes Sunderland's sixth manager in five years. wrote:
We really cant afford for him to fail

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: