SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyToday at 3:13 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» To those at the game tonight
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by wanderer

» Tests, tests and more bloody tests!
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 10:27 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very good morning one and all
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 9:55 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very happy birthday!
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 10:54 am by fulwellend47

» Can't say I'm looking forward to Tuesday
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 9:25 am by Sid MCFC

» Predictions Mid week 12
Head in sand, maybe, but EmptyYesterday at 7:58 am by Lever Malone

» Results week 12
Head in sand, maybe, but Empty2019-10-21, 10:38 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions week 13
Head in sand, maybe, but Empty2019-10-21, 6:10 pm by canary-dave

» League table Week 12
Head in sand, maybe, but Empty2019-10-21, 12:31 pm by Jerry the Jinx

Head in sand, maybe, but

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Head in sand, maybe, but Empty Head in sand, maybe, but

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 8:09 am

Looking at the table you would be foolish not to see that we are in a bit of a pickle, lots to do and a hard road ahead, however I am far from downcast just yet.

What follows is my opinion, nothing more but I honestly believe that do it and we will be fine, with that all important rub of the green.

The first thing that must be done is announce that new manager today or tomorrow, whoever it is needs the next 2 weeks to work with the players gt them sorted and above all, find his best team.

Yesterday we showed all the desire, hard work and quite a lot of quality but it was all undone by two things, get these two things sorted and we will be just about there.

Switching off, in this league more than any other switching off is a disaster an both of United goals came from Ki switching off. he young United lad took his goals well but he was left, given the space and time to take the goals, first Ki just let him walk away into space and second we could be critical and say O'Shea should not have headed to ball to him but O'Shea did win the ball and get it out, again the lad stood alone to score.

Maybe its why Ki is here an not at Swansea but the new manager will have to sort it and he has options to do it, the right man will.

The inability to take our chances, we should have been 3 or 4 up by half time yesterday and the answer is there, we all know it but can we get Fletcher back and keep him fit?
I'm sure January will see a new striker but January could be to late so Fletcher in and the new manager has his second problem, who to leave out?

Well for me a number of players just cant be left out.

Colback
I know he has his dis tractors but How many crosses has he stopped, chances set up, for me he is a solid left back now and grows better every game.

Cattermole
He would have been sold in the summer if the right offer had come in and I for one would have been happy about that, how wrong would I have been. Its funny watching O'Shea trying to be captain and so far its good to see Cattermole show controlled aggression.

Giaccherini
MOTM yesterday and starting to show why we bought him, quality but hard working tough little bugger who must start.

We have other players who are just looking right and will become regulars,

Celustka good partnership with Giaccherini down the right.
Westwood, looking more and more assured.

We need the central defenders sorted and we need to stick with them, personally I would give Roberge and Diakita and run.
I think Gardener did very well in midfield and defensive duties aside he, Cattermole and Ki did a good job.

Altidore never stops working and is a hand full but I worry about his hold up play and goal scoring.

Then we have the man, Mr Johnson who if the new manager can get playing could be our world beater but if he cant could be the player who makes way for Fletcher.

Our season depends on now until January 1st, be in touch with 4th from bottom or better and we will move up second half, be adrift and it could all be over.

Big, big few days ahead for Short because get that bit wrong and the house of cards falls, I am hopeful he will get it right.

Off now to get this sand out of my eyes.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Head in sand, maybe, but Empty Re: Head in sand, maybe, but

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 9:02 am

Yes of  course we can stay up,  but the likelihood is receding each passing game. We need to keep a clean sheet but are incapable of doing so...plus we struggle to score goals, so yes a fit Fletcher is a must plus ano good striker in January.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 10:26 am

Watmore should be given a chance!
Good read Syd.

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2013-10-06, 10:37 am

froggy1973 wrote:Watmore should be given a chance!
Good read Syd.
Plus Mandrons still kicking about.

Good read Syd but some strange subs yesterday.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 10:40 am

gil t azell wrote:
Good read Syd.

Yesterdays subs, for me, is why Ball will not get the job.

Ji, well to be fair he did OK but is OK good enough.
Wickham after yesterday I would leave behind, his work rate was nil.
Borini has not shown anything but if he was on the bench why was he not brought on, we need a goal.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 10:56 am

An excellent summary Syd.

Any other team but United yesterday, and we might have got away with it.

The goals against column says it all really.

I was impressed with Colbacks tackling and distribution yesterday, but he is very weak on crosses in the air. He stands off his man.  But if that can be worked on he will be fine.

Central defenders: As you say Syd, for whatever reason, they switch off;  perhaps it is tiredness which can affect thought. I don't know.

I was impressed with Johnson - perhaps our only player with true flair... and couldn't understand why he was taken off.

I know Ifs and buts count for nothing, but we could have been 3 - 0 up at half time.  That was very heartening or me.

If we are still 'in contact' with bottom six come January I hope Short will release some cash.  This time around we won't have such saleable assets to balance the books, but if Short is genuine in his desire to stay up, then investment is needed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 11:51 am

gil t azell wrote:
Good read Syd.

I presume you mean Ji?

I thought AJ was not having a good but was surprised that Ji came on. Ki Syd reckons Ki was at fault for both goals.However I still reckon the defence would be tighter if Giac played behind Altidore/Fletcher cos he is not a good defender and we played two wingbacks, who for me we could choose from Larsson, Jack, and probably the young wingers we have brought in. What is ht injury news of the Italian LB we bought, when will he be fit to play cos that frees Jack to play elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2013-10-06, 12:00 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
Good read Syd.

I presume you mean Ji?

I thought AJ was not having a good but was surprised that Ji came on. Ki Syd reckons Ki was at fault for both goals.However I still reckon the defence would be tighter if Giac played behind Altidore/Fletcher cos he is not a good defender and we played two wingbacks, who for me we could choose from Larsson, Jack, and probably the young wingers we have brought in. What is ht injury news of the Italian LB we bought, when will he be fit to play cos that frees Jack to play elsewhere.
Yea I as referring t Ji Sunders. Completely forgot his name.
agree with Giacchi in the middle as well
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-10-06, 12:02 pm

Good post Syd, I agree totally with your assessments. Cattermole, Giaccherini, Colback were outstanding for me. Westwood did very well and Roberge and Celustka were solid. Gardner and Ki made a good pairing, working well with Catts as well as the wide men and the defence. We missed Gardner's energy and commitment when he went off and it was noticeable that Rooney and RVP were kept quiet the whole game.

Ki should have definitely tracked Januzaj better for his first and I too initially thought JOS was to blame for the second goal but on watching it again he headed it quite far out, away from goal, so what more could he do? Someone should have taken the warnings that Januzaj had already given and marked him! However the lad is obviously class and cool as a cucumber and took both goals well and I saw equally suspect, and worse, defending yesterday, from every other team on MOTD and Goals on Sunday so far!

Like you I am a bit concerned about Jozy, first half he played very well and gave Vidic and Jones the runaround, but whether they got wiser or Jozy tired I don't know but second half he was much less effective. I think he and Fletch will be a good partnership but my goodness we need him back and quickly if we are to get goals.

And then we come to Johnson! Well I thought he was just not involved enough. Good cross for Giac's header, that De Gea saved brlilliantly, and a couple of other flashes but not enough consistency. We have few options just now but for me, when Fletcher is back, he has to be a sub. We can't afford anyone in the starting 11 who does not contribute 100% of the time.

While I understood Seb coming on for Gardner I too thought the later substitutions were odd. I think they represented the 'good trainers' being picked ethos that we talked about yesterday. If we weren't so light up front I would suggest a loan for Wickham, I just don't think he is the answer, and for all is good attitude, neither is Ji, although I was glad he got the chance to regain a bit of confidence after PDC, so well done to Ball for that. But Januzaj is only 18 so why not try out our youngsters too? Maybe against Man U would have put a lot of pressure on them, but why not play Borini who has PL experience? The subs yesterday only made us look disjointed and lower in quality and gave Man U the message that we had run out of ideas.

In summary, many positives, the core of a good solid team and I have confidence we have the quality to get out of trouble but, still too many negatives so, for me, Ball is not the answer although I would love him to stay on and work with whoever is selected.  
It's up to the board now to make that right choice. We really cannot get this one wrong. Solskjaer for me is the right fit; young, ambitious, great temperament, professional ethos, intelligent in more than the football sense, won everything as a player and learned from the best in SAF, so lack of PL management experience is less of a risk. Come on Ellis you know it makes sense. Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 12:34 pm

Let me throw an idea into the mix to talk about.

Short is clear that we must stay up so,

Appoint either Pullis or Mcleish with clear instructions, you are here until season end, we go down and you go with money earned. We stay up and you go with 1 or 2 mil bonus.

The board then spend the rest of season finding and lining up the manager to take us forward.

We accept whatever football we see to stay up.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 1:01 pm

Sound.... needs must.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 1:07 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Let me throw an idea into the mix to talk about.

Appoint either Pullis or Mcleish with clear instructions, you are here until season end, we go down and you go with money earned. We stay up and you go with 1 or 2 mil bonus.

The board then spend the rest of season finding and lining up the manager to take us forward.

Personally I would find it hard to be happy if Pulis came in...but then yesterday every ball from Westwood was hoofed upfield, we could have passed it out from the backs a bit more.

As for doglease???

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 1:15 pm

sunderpitt wrote:

Personally I would find it hard to be happy if Pulis came in...but then yesterday every ball from Westwood was hoofed upfield, we could have passed it out from the backs a bit more.

As for doglease???
Its more the theory than names I was looking at Sunders, TBH I'm becoming more and more concerned because by now we, or Short, should know who he wants and have him announced, we dont have the time for pussy footing about any longer IMO.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-10-06, 1:20 pm

You may be onto something Syd, we are rock bottom so I don't think anyone will complain about style of football if it gets us the points to move up the table. I think the delay in appointing a manager indicates Poyet and any of those available are not the favourites and the manager we're really after is under contract and won't leave before the end of the season. So a short term appointment may be the answer. If I have to make a choice then McLeish or Curbishley, rather than Pulis though, as I think they will do better with the squad we have.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 1:22 pm

Hieronymus wrote:

You may be onto something Syd, we are rock bottom so I don't think anyone will complain about style of football if it gets us the points to move up the table. I think the delay in appointing a manager indicates Poyet and any of those available are not the favourites and the manager we're really after is under contract and won't leave before the end of the season. So a short term appointment may be the answer. If I have to make a choice then McLeish or Curbishley, rather than Pulis though, as I think they will do better with the squad we have.
Or Twaddle with Ball his number 2

thats Hoddle not Waddle

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2013-10-06, 1:28 pm

Not for me Syd .... it sends a message of 'dithering' and it is 'putting off' the decision.

No, for me, a decision has to be made that takes the club forward, sets the tone for the future and clearly establishes what this club is about in terms of 'Identity and philosophy' and all staff and players must be bought for and sign up to that philosophy.

We have some quality players that showed yesterday that they can play some wonderful football. I don't think it would take a lot to eradicate those obvious problems and mistakes, a good coach with a clear and 'consistent' philosophy would give the players confidence.

I am still confident that if the appointment is right we will survive this season. For me its still someone like Ole Gunnar Solskjær, with the right people around him (maybe O'Shea or Brown or Gary Neville, and maybe including Ball too)
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 1:48 pm

Mackemneil wrote:

Not for me Syd .... it sends a message of 'dithering' and it is 'putting off' the decision.

No, for me, a decision has to be made that takes the club forward, sets the tone for the future and clearly establishes what this club is about in terms of 'Identity and philosophy' and all staff and players must be bought for and sign up to that philosophy.

We have some quality players that showed yesterday that they can play some wonderful football. I don't think it would take a lot to eradicate those obvious problems and mistakes, a good coach with a clear and 'consistent' philosophy would give the players confidence.

I am still confident that if the appointment is right we will survive this season. For me its still someone like Ole Gunnar Solskjær, with the right people around him (maybe O'Shea or Brown or Gary Neville, and maybe including Ball too)
Cant argue with that but, I will ask a question, "What if that ideal manager is not available right now"?

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 2:11 pm

If we're talking about defensive coaches, it's worth remembering that Alan Hansen is about to become unemployed.  That defence of his was as tight as it gets.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 2:44 pm

cuteybuns wrote:If we're talking about defensive coaches, it's worth remembering that Alan Hansen is about to become unemployed.  That defence of his was as tight as it gets.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 4:48 pm

..with Lawro ...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 5:31 pm

Well I reckon whoever comes in will have to hit the proverbially ground running and as Syd and others have said needs to come in sooner rather than later.

We as well as clean sheets by playing proper wing backs, I.e. Not Giac (behind the striker my position for him) or AJ...we also need another good goal scorer as it is looking as if Altidore is failing his audition.

So sell Wickham and AJ and get Short to put £10m to the proceeds to bring in a decent striker..then we may defy the odds and stay up...otherwise it is very grim

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-10-06, 6:03 pm

TBH Sunders I think looking at new strikers right now is a no go, we need to get near by January or we are stuffed and we have what we have.

I do still honestly believe that what we have is OK if they are selected and organise correctly but that new man needs to get a positive result at Swansea so every day counts.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 6:52 pm

yes, every game is now a cup tie..

we need 10 wins and 10 draws in 30 games....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 7:12 pm

cyprussyd wrote:TBH Sunders I think looking at new strikers right now is a no go, we need to get near by January or we are stuffed and we have what we have.

I do still honestly believe that what we have is OK if they are selected and organise correctly but that new man needs to get a positive result at Swansea so every day counts.
Well yes we have to get some points before Christmas...but we need goals, ATM Giac may score but we desperately need another goal scorer then we have a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-10-06, 8:23 pm

Poyet is in dispute with Brighton, which is likely to be resolved in court.

I doubt he would come here before that is resolved.

If he was 'employed' with us, that might affect his compen from Brighton.........

Just my thoughts.......

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum