SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus


Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-01, 9:02 pm

Warning. This Post is being written under the influence of Kahlua and Sambucca shots. I cannot be held responsible for any soppiness, nostalgia, that may occur.

How long have i supported the lads? Well the first game i remember going to with my dad was a friendly in August 65 when i was 10. I remember it well, it was against Celtic.We got hammered 5-0. No change there then. It seems that the seeds of despair were sown on that day 48 years ago. My first ever match, thumped by a bunch of kilted tossers. Its funny though, because although i attended most games apart from a 3 year gap from the start of the 68 season,(when i was exiled to boarding school in York), i cant remember anything until the start of the 71 season. I put this down to a simple undeniable fact. WE WERE CRAP. As a child i lightened the disappointment with things like World Cup Willie,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,Lost in Space,Thunderbirds,Adam Adamant. Happy things for a child of tender years, things that don't let you down.Napoleon Solo never once let me down, every week he battled the forces of THRUSH and won. We rarely won, I was let down a lot. By the way I have mentioned Willie and Thrush, sorry! One would think that all this heartache at that age would have ended my love affair with SAFC early. But no!! What i hear you say could have spurred this young lad on at the now advanced age of 16 in 1971? I was allowed to go to the match with my mates and not my dad. God Bless him! Things were looking up! Underage drinking in the Spyglass under the Roker Hotel before the match, Girls, two-tone loons and tank tops from City Stylish, the Roker Pie Shop, T-Rex, The Who all fabulous things when you are that age. But what dear reader is omitted from such a list of happiness? Yes you've guessed it Sunderland Association Football Club. Why? Because as usual we were crap. Second Division dross. You see, by this time i was going to the game as part of the ritual of growing up, not for the football, but for the tribal buzz it used to bring back then. 71 and 72 rolled past as if un-noticed by the watching masses in the Fulwell End. It was just a constant procession of lower league teams and pitiful results. 1973...now you are thinking this is where things are going to look up for the young Poolie. Well, yes and no. I went to Notts County for the draw, went to Man City and was chased from Maine Rd to the train station by a crowd of lunatics dressed as Clockwork Orange boys, went to Sheffield for the Arsenal game, got pissed before in a pub where we were thrown out for singing Suffragette City too loud, I went to them all.I always won in the ballots the had for the home games. Me and Sunderland just couldn't lose,  we were on the up!! Wembley here we come! Sunderland's off to Wembley we shall not be moved! Leeds Leeds  and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds Leeds and Leeds and Leeds. Who the Fecking Hell's Leeds? Problem. Poolie has no ticket. My Ma and Pa went (season ticket toffs). My mates went(wankers).Poolie watched it on the fecking TV in Cleadon not fecking Wembley. Fast forward 9 years i'm now 28, Dj at Ku Club, women everywhere, having a blast.The best time of my life, football's still crap though.You are now a fly on the wall at that years Poolie Family Christmas Lunch, my Dad now well oiled and in fine spirits decides to confess something which he seemed to find hilarious. Back in 1973 he had a spare Cup Final ticket which he sold to a mate of his for £50. Oh how they all laughed, all that is except for Poolie. I never forgave him and he is now dead these ten long years.
   The years roll on and i have not lived in Sunderland since 86. I occasionally go to games and i watch all the games on TV on the Internet. They are still crap and i suppose they always will be, with just the occasional flickering of hope for a brighter future. I find it very difficult and hard to follow the Lads,except for that one day in May 1973 when i didn't have a fecking ticket.
I thank you all for your patience. Poolie. FTM
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  gil t azell on 2013-09-01, 9:14 pm

67 my 1st game. So only 46 years of crap for me. Its just love PM. Its in ya heart, ya blood and courtesy of our evil parents taking us to Roker Park there is no escape. We are in despair until death. Death might be a better alternative than putting ourselves thu the mill season after season hoping for summit decent.

Good read btw apart from Sambucca's. Have you got gay tendencies?
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 5960
Join date : 2012-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-01, 9:22 pm

gil t azell wrote:67 my 1st game. So only 46 years of crap for me. Its just love PM. Its in ya heart, ya blood and courtesy of our evil parents taking us to Roker Park there is no escape. We are in despair until death. Death might be a better alternative than putting ourselves thu the mill season after season hoping for summit decent.

Good read btw apart from Sambucca's. Have you got gay tendencies?
Not lately. Electro shock therapy helped.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Vincemac on 2013-09-01, 9:45 pm

I about my time as well 1963 I think we beat pne 3 -1 well the rest is history as they say
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 7648
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-09-01, 10:10 pm

1982 my first game. I don't even have birthplace, parental influence, or schoolmates to blame for 32 years of mostly pain, but with the odd high that (sort of) makes it all worthwhile.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10020
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-09-01, 10:30 pm

Think I am an odd ball because Its the pain I enjoy, well more the constant hope, this time we will do it.

Very really have long lasting pain now and already my head is convinced we will beat Arsenal so I look forward knowing it will probably not happen.

I would hate to be say a Man City fan last season, a feeling of utter failure for coming second, so much expectation and pressure.

Me, I was overjoyed to stay up with Wigan losing.

Of course I live in a world of constant hope, but the result is just a small part of being a fan for me, its the full package, the banter, the hope.

Maybe its just years of being punched that now I dont hurt the same.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2013-09-01, 10:37 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Think I am an odd ball because Its the pain I enjoy, well more the constant hope, this time we will do it.

Very really have long lasting pain now and already my head is convinced we will beat Arsenal so I look forward knowing it will probably not happen.

I would hate to be say a Man City fan last season, a feeling of utter failure for coming second, so much expectation and pressure.

Me, I was overjoyed to stay up with Wigan losing.

Of course I live in a world of constant hope, but the result is just a small part of being a fan for me, its the full package, the banter, the hope.

Maybe its just years of being punched that now I dont hurt the same.
Closet gay..... Rolling Eyes

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Black Cat Kiwi
Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 10396
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 101
Location : Godzone

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-09-01, 10:40 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Think I am an odd ball because Its the pain I enjoy, well more the constant hope, this time we will do it.

Very really have long lasting pain now and already my head is convinced we will beat Arsenal so I look forward knowing it will probably not happen.

I would hate to be say a Man City fan last season, a feeling of utter failure for coming second, so much expectation and pressure.

Me, I was overjoyed to stay up with Wigan losing.

Of course I live in a world of constant hope, but the result is just a small part of being a fan for me, its the full package, the banter, the hope.

Maybe its just years of being punched that now I dont hurt the same.
Closet gay..... Rolling Eyes

what closet [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Nostalgic on 2013-09-01, 10:44 pm

H'away lads it wasn't all bad. We won the cup once and I saw them put 7 past Arsenal and 9 past Charlton. But then I also saw Luton put 8 past us.

We are just maintaining our level of ability but good times are just around the next corner.
avatar
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4214
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 81
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-09-01, 10:49 pm

Nostalgic wrote:H'away lads it wasn't all bad. We won the cup once and I saw them put 7 past Arsenal and 9 past Charlton. But then I also saw Luton put 8 past us.

We are just maintaining our level of ability but good times are just around the next corner.
thats the spirit

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2013-09-01, 10:56 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Closet gay..... Rolling Eyes
what closet  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Unhappy...Happy Very Happy  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Black Cat Kiwi
Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 10396
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 101
Location : Godzone

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-01, 11:24 pm

avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Mackemneil on 2013-09-01, 11:25 pm

nucleic acid sequence is a succession of letters that indicate the order of nucleotides within a DNA. The sequences appear in groups of three letters representing the four nucleotide bases of a DNA strand ...... including SUN, DER and MAD.


So being a Sunderland supporter is simply genetic!!!    alien alien alien   
Mackemneil
Mackemneil
MODERATOR
MODERATOR

Posts : 2360
Join date : 2012-08-10
Age : 64
Location : Holme on Spalding Moor, York

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-01, 11:27 pm

..sounds about right ..

Very Happy 
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-09-02, 6:43 am

And it must be terrible supporting a Chelsea or Man City full of foreign players whose names you cant pronounce and who you cant identify with.

Dont you agree

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-02, 6:49 am

cyprussyd wrote:And it must be terrible supporting a Chelsea or Man City full of foreign players whose names you cant pronounce and who you cant identify with.

Dont you agree
Chelsea had more English players in their last game than SAFC had.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-09-02, 7:33 am

commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:And it must be terrible supporting a Chelsea or Man City full of foreign players whose names you cant pronounce and who you cant identify with.

Dont you agree
Chelsea had more English players in their last game than SAFC had.
I know

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Guest on 2013-09-02, 7:40 am

cyprussyd wrote:
commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:And it must be terrible supporting a Chelsea or Man City full of foreign players whose names you cant pronounce and who you cant identify with.

Dont you agree
Chelsea had more English players in their last game than SAFC had.
I know
Just looking at Man U, six of their starting eleven were English, quite unexpected these days.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2013-09-02, 8:59 am

PooleMackem wrote:Warning. This Post is being written under the influence of Kahlua and Sambucca shots. I cannot be held responsible for any soppiness, nostalgia, that may occur.

How long have i supported the lads? Well the first game i remember going to with my dad was a friendly in August 65 when i was 10. I remember it well, it was against Celtic.We got hammered 5-0. No change there then. It seems that the seeds of despair were sown on that day 48 years ago. My first ever match, thumped by a bunch of kilted tossers. Its funny though, because although i attended most games apart from a 3 year gap from the start of the 68 season,(when i was exiled to boarding school in York), i cant remember anything until the start of the 71 season. I put this down to a simple undeniable fact. WE WERE CRAP. As a child i lightened the disappointment with things like World Cup Willie,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,Lost in Space,Thunderbirds,Adam Adamant. Happy things for a child of tender years, things that don't let you down.Napoleon Solo never once let me down, every week he battled the forces of THRUSH and won. We rarely won, I was let down a lot. By the way I have mentioned Willie and Thrush, sorry! One would think that all this heartache at that age would have ended my love affair with SAFC early. But no!! What i hear you say could have spurred this young lad on at the now advanced age of 16 in 1971? I was allowed to go to the match with my mates and not my dad. God Bless him! Things were looking up! Underage drinking in the Spyglass under the Roker Hotel before the match, Girls, two-tone loons and tank tops from City Stylish, the Roker Pie Shop, T-Rex, The Who all fabulous things when you are that age. But what dear reader is omitted from such a list of happiness? Yes you've guessed it Sunderland Association Football Club. Why? Because as usual we were crap. Second Division dross. You see, by this time i was going to the game as part of the ritual of growing up, not for the football, but for the tribal buzz it used to bring back then. 71 and 72 rolled past as if un-noticed by the watching masses in the Fulwell End. It was just a constant procession of lower league teams and pitiful results. 1973...now you are thinking this is where things are going to look up for the young Poolie. Well, yes and no. I went to Notts County for the draw, went to Man City and was chased from Maine Rd to the train station by a crowd of lunatics dressed as Clockwork Orange boys, went to Sheffield for the Arsenal game, got pissed before in a pub where we were thrown out for singing Suffragette City too loud, I went to them all.I always won in the ballots the had for the home games. Me and Sunderland just couldn't lose,  we were on the up!! Wembley here we come! Sunderland's off to Wembley we shall not be moved! Leeds Leeds  and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds Leeds and Leeds and Leeds. Who the Fecking Hell's Leeds? Problem. Poolie has no ticket. My Ma and Pa went (season ticket toffs). My mates went(wankers).Poolie watched it on the fecking TV in Cleadon not fecking Wembley. Fast forward 9 years i'm now 28, Dj at Ku Club, women everywhere, having a blast.The best time of my life, football's still crap though.You are now a fly on the wall at that years Poolie Family Christmas Lunch, my Dad now well oiled and in fine spirits decides to confess something which he seemed to find hilarious. Back in 1973 he had a spare Cup Final ticket which he sold to a mate of his for £50. Oh how they all laughed, all that is except for Poolie. I never forgave him and he is now dead these ten long years.
   The years roll on and i have not lived in Sunderland since 86. I occasionally go to games and i watch all the games on TV on the Internet. They are still crap and i suppose they always will be, with just the occasional flickering of hope for a brighter future. I find it very difficult and hard to follow the Lads,except for that one day in May 1973 when i didn't have a fecking ticket.
I thank you all for your patience. Poolie. FTM
That is shocking
My first season watching the lads was 77-78.
We'd just been relegated - again - and it was a pretty non-descript season
My outstanding memory from it?
Being grounded by my dad and missing the second last home game of the season
Never forgotten or forgiven - but compared to missing a cup final...............................
Jerry the Jinx
Jerry the Jinx
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4950
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 53
Location : Roker

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-09-02, 10:58 am

Mackemneil wrote:nucleic acid sequence is a succession of letters that indicate the order of nucleotides within a DNA. The sequences appear in groups of three letters representing the four nucleotide bases of a DNA strand ...... including SUN, DER and MAD.


So being a Sunderland supporter is simply genetic!!!    alien alien alien   
Very good! Very Happy 
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10020
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter? Empty Re: Why is it so difficult being a Sunderland Supporter?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum