SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Favourites
Ally McCoist EmptyYesterday at 6:38 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Retained List
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-16, 8:40 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Lee Cattermole
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-16, 9:30 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» I fell for that!
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-14, 10:37 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland Legends
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-14, 9:40 am by Hieronymus

» Molyneux gone
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-14, 9:33 am by Hieronymus

» what would you do?
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-14, 8:28 am by Kipper

» Killing the golden goose
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-12, 9:21 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Its happened
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-12, 8:56 am by cyprussyd

» Takeover
Ally McCoist Empty2019-06-11, 8:51 am by Kipper

Ally McCoist

Go down

Ally McCoist Empty Ally McCoist

Post  Guest on 2013-08-29, 1:42 pm

ON THIS DAY IN 1981... RANGERS AND SCOTLAND LEGEND ALLY MCCOIST MAKES HIS SUNDERLAND DEBUT AT IPSWICH. THE MATCH IS DRAWN 3-3. MCCOIST SCORED 9 GOALS IN 46 STARTS FOR SUNDERLAND.

Now please enlighten me as just how good he was, this has been mentioned since i was a kid, that this was one of the biggest blunders done by the club, letting him go so early.

Back to top Go down

Ally McCoist Empty Re: Ally McCoist

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-08-29, 1:44 pm

commachio wrote:ON THIS DAY IN 1981... RANGERS AND SCOTLAND LEGEND ALLY MCCOIST MAKES HIS SUNDERLAND DEBUT AT IPSWICH. THE MATCH IS DRAWN 3-3. MCCOIST SCORED 9 GOALS IN 46 STARTS FOR SUNDERLAND.

Now please enlighten me as just how good he was, this has been mentioned since i was a kid, that this was one of the biggest blunders done by the club, letting him go so early.
from what my poor memory tells me he was very good, sure he married a Sunderland lass

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-08-29, 1:45 pm

Sunderland[edit source | editbeta]
McCoist's time at Sunderland was unsuccessful: he managed only nine goals in 65 appearances for a side struggling at the foot of the English First Division. He only managed two goals during the 1981–82 season, his first coming against Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side and his second a spectacular curling effort from the edge of the box against Southampton.
Three goals in three pre-season games against Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic and former team St. Johnstone followed by a goal against European Champions Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1982–83 in a 3–1 win looked to point towards big things to come. He followed this up with a goal against Brighton & Hove Albion meaning he had matched his previous seasons tally midway through September.
October 1982 proved to be the highlight of McCoist's spell with Sunderland as he scored five goals in as many games against Norwich City, Southampton, Manchester City, Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers. With seven goals scored by the end of October big things were expected but McCoist failed to score another goal in Sunderland shirt. Despite this he finished 3rd top scorer for Sunderland, one goal behind Nick Pickering.
At the end of the 1982–83 season he returned to Scotland and joined Rangers for a fee of £185,000.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2013-08-29, 1:48 pm

He was very young, and certainly developing very fast.

But cash was dangled, and SAFC cashed in....
Silvers
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-08-29, 1:48 pm

Syd, i've read all that, but i want views from people who saw him, did he never look that the player that he later turned out to be?

Was he discarded to early, or if he stayed, he would have got no better?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-08-29, 1:56 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Sunderland[edit source | editbeta]
McCoist's time at Sunderland was unsuccessful: he managed only nine goals in 65 appearances for a side struggling at the foot of the English First Division. He only managed two goals during the 1981–82 season, his first coming against Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side and his second a spectacular curling effort from the edge of the box against Southampton.
Three goals in three pre-season games against Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic and former team St. Johnstone followed by a goal against European Champions Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1982–83 in a 3–1 win looked to point towards big things to come. He followed this up with a goal against Brighton & Hove Albion meaning he had matched his previous seasons tally midway through September.
October 1982 proved to be the highlight of McCoist's spell with Sunderland as he scored five goals in as many games against Norwich City, Southampton, Manchester City, Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers. With seven goals scored by the end of October big things were expected but McCoist failed to score another goal in Sunderland shirt. Despite this he finished 3rd top scorer for Sunderland, one goal behind Nick Pickering.
At the end of the 1982–83 season he returned to Scotland and joined Rangers for a fee of £185,000.
And they say the rest is history.  I personally think Ally McCoist is incredible; a legend for Rangers, excellent on Question of Sport but what i truly admire about this man is his determination and loyalty to Rangers FC.  For instance, when they beat Airdrie 6-0 on Friday evening he celebrated each and everyone as if they had all been scored against their arch rivals Celtic.   His love for the club is clearly second to none and he could have walked away from them on many occasions but decided to see it out and for that, as I said earlier, I admire the bloke.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-08-29, 8:19 pm

I saw McCoist play for us a good few times comm and always thought he looked a bit lost in our team. Expectations were high of him but he never seemed to be in the right place at the right time on the pitch. I believe he was sold at the end of 82/83 to finance the signing of Paul Bracewell, something that annoyed our then manager Alan Durban who rated him highly and wanted the pair of them in the same team. Tom Cowie was the man at the top then, so say no more..

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2013-08-29, 8:27 pm

Ally was very young player in a relatively young team,I think with a more experienced forward playing with him (like Hately at Rangers) he could have scored more goals but we shall never know...
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2013-08-29, 8:43 pm

He did have a cult status at Sunderland, but in my opinion did little in his time with us to deserve it..He most certainly thrived in the Scottish league mind, but we will never know if he could have done the same in England..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Baxtersleftfoot on 2013-08-29, 8:48 pm

commachio wrote:ON THIS DAY IN 1981... RANGERS AND SCOTLAND LEGEND ALLY MCCOIST MAKES HIS SUNDERLAND DEBUT AT IPSWICH. THE MATCH IS DRAWN 3-3. MCCOIST SCORED 9 GOALS IN 46 STARTS FOR SUNDERLAND.

To be brutally honest he was poor at Sunderland, too much responsibility on too young shoulders, don't get me wrong, the signs were there, but we couldn't wait for his development.

We needed players, especially strikers, who were immediately effective and unfortunately McCoist was not.

By the way he did marry a local girl.

First team squad
First team squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2013-08-29, 8:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ally £2m divorce demand
TOM WORDEN
Last Updated: 27th July 2007

LOVE-cheat soccer pundit Ally McCoist has been told by his wife she wants a £ 2million divorce settlement.

Allison McCoist, 37, also wants a £ 4,000-a-month allowance from the ex-Scotland striker, it was revealed yesterday.

Silvers
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum