SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland

Go down

Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland

Post  Guest on 2013-07-05, 4:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23197443

Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland

Sunderland goalkeeper Keiren Westwood is keen to stay on Wearside, but first-team football remains his priority.

The Republic of Ireland keeper has been limited to just 13 appearances since joining from Coventry in July 2011, by the form and fitness of Simon Mignolet.

However, Mignolet's summer move to Liverpool offers the 28-year-old the chance to compete with new signing Vito Mannone for the goalkeeper's jersey.

"For the sake of my career, I have to play," Westwood told BBC Newcastle.
On the sidelines

Simon Mignolet's consistency made him an ever-present for Sunderland in the league last season, and in turn limited Westwood to just three games in the Capital One Cup last term.

"I love it here [at Sunderland], it's great. It's a fantastic club to be at and I couldn't have gone to much better, but I have to play football - I didn't play most of last season.

"It's not a club I want to leave, I've a lot of friends here, I love it and hopefully I can be playing."

Westwood briefly became the Republic of Ireland's number one after Shay Given's international retirement last year but almost immediately lost his place to Millwall's David Forde as he was not playing first-team football.

"I lost my Ireland place on the back of me not playing, it's not through lack of form, just lack of game-time," said Westwood, who won his 15th cap in last month's friendly against Georgia.

"I totally understand the manager's thinking, I'm looking to get back playing now and get my Ireland place back."
Also related to this story

Sunderland sign Mannone from Arsenal 03 Jul 2013 Sunderland
Rep of Ireland 4-0 Georgia 02 Jun 2013 R. of Ireland
Republic of Ireland 2-0 Poland 06 Feb 2013 R. of Ireland
Walters injury scare for Republic 19 Mar 2013 R. of Ireland
Keogh included in Republic squad 17 Mar 2013 R. of Ireland
Trapattoni lauds Westwood display 15 Aug 2012 R. of Ireland
Sunderland release keeper Gordon 19 May 2012 Sunderland
Premier League excites Westwood 13 Jul 2011 Sunderland
Sunderland net Larsson & Westwood 22 Jun 2011 Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland Empty Re: Keiren Westwood keen to become first-choice at Sunderland

Post  Guest on 2013-07-06, 3:55 pm

Westwood briefly became the Republic of Ireland's number one after Shay Given's international retirement last year

I always wanted Given as our goalie. But Tony Parks refused to sell him to us, and sold him for less money to Newcastle. As for Westwood, Its his time now, hopefully he will make the position his own, but if not, will at least have had the chance.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum