SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Lee Cattermole
CABRAL EmptyToday at 1:49 am by Nostalgic

» Charlton v Sunderland
CABRAL EmptyYesterday at 8:22 pm by Nostalgic

» Come back Theresa
CABRAL Empty2019-05-24, 8:08 pm by canary-dave

» Annette's new diet is working
CABRAL Empty2019-05-23, 6:00 pm by canary-dave

» London-Breaking News
CABRAL Empty2019-05-23, 4:51 pm by Sid MCFC

» Stewart Donald, never fails to amaze me.
CABRAL Empty2019-05-23, 3:06 pm by Kipper

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
CABRAL Empty2019-05-22, 10:55 pm by Hieronymus

» New Home Strip
CABRAL Empty2019-05-22, 10:49 pm by Hieronymus

» New Scotland manager
CABRAL Empty2019-05-22, 6:38 pm by cyprussyd

» Playoff final, a Charlton view
CABRAL Empty2019-05-21, 9:50 am by Vincemac

CABRAL

Go down

CABRAL Empty CABRAL

Post  Guest on 2013-05-28, 3:32 am

Tried to you tube him, no joy so far, also tried Wiki, gave up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2331823/Sunderland-close-agreeing-Bosman-deal-Basel-midfielder-Cabral.html

Sunderland are close to agreeing a four year contract with Basel midfielder Cabral.

The 24-year-old is out of contract at Basel next month so will be a free agent.

Sunderland close to Adilson Cabral signing

CABRAL Paolo-di-canio-sunderland
© AP Photos

By Liam Power, Reporter
Filed: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 03:10 UK
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 03:10 UK
Sunderland are reportedly close to signing Swiss youth international Adilson Cabral on a free transfer as Paolo Di Canio begins to rebuild on Wearside.

Cabral is out of contract with Swiss champions FC Basel next month and has agreed a four-year deal to join Di Canio's side ahead of next season, according to the Sunderland Echo.

The 24-year-old is an energetic midfielder that has played for Switzerland at every youth level, but remains eligible to represent the country of his birth Cape Verde.

Blackburn Rovers were previously linked with Cabral but appear to have lost out to the Black Cats, who have won the race for his signature on a long-term deal.

Cabral is the cousin of former Manchester City midfielder

Back to top Go down

CABRAL Empty Re: CABRAL

Post  Guest on 2013-05-28, 4:18 am

Reports coming out of Switzerland today suggest Sunderland have made their second signing of the summer, after Altrincham's Duncan Watmore, in the shape of Basel's defensive midfielder, Cabral.
Cabral, whose full name is Adilson Tavares Varela, originally hails from Cape Verde but now holds Swiss citizenship and has 8 caps for Switzerland under 21s. Primarily a defensive midfielder, the player can also play central defence when needed. He is the cousin of former Manchester City midfielder Gelson Fernandes.
His contract with FC Basel runs out at the end of June, so is available on a Bosman free transfer and according to his advisor;
He has signed a four year contract.
He has played 45 games in all competitions for Basle this season, including 10 games in the Europa League. Although a regular starter he only played 24 minutes in their games against Spurs and Chelsea.
Starting his career at Lausanne, he moved to Basel on a free transfer in 2007, then had a loan spell at Sevilla's B team in 2008 before establishing himself in Basel's first team, where he played 85 league games, scoring two goals.
Although yet to be confirmed by Sunderland, something which may not happen until July 1st, the 24-year-old midfielder certainly fits the rumoured new direction of our transfer targets, young, cheap players who the club can bring on.
http://www.rokerreport.com/sunderland-safc-transfer-news/2013/5/27/4370114/report-sunderland-sign-basel-midfielder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-05-28, 12:12 pm

Fingers crossed...

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-05-28, 4:39 pm

SUNDERLAND are believed to have clinched the signing of Swiss midfielder Cabral.

Reports coming out of Switzerland suggest the 24-year-old – who has been a key figure for leading Swiss Super League side Basel in recent seasons – has agreed a four-year deal with the Black Cats.

Cabral, full name Adilson Tavares Varela, joined Basel from Lausanne in 2007 but has allowed his contract to run down and is now available on a Bosman free transfer.

Should the deal be confirmed, the defensive midfielder will become Sunderland’s second signing of the close season with Altrincham’s teenage striker Duncan Whatmore having agreed a move to the Stadium of Light last week.

Cabral was born in the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of West Africa but took up an option to play his international football for Switzerland and has been capped at Swiss U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels.

He is the cousin of ex-Manchester City midfielder Gelson Fernandes.

Sunderland are staying tight-lipped over Cabral but have confirmed to the Echo that so far he is yet to officially join the club.

That does not mean, though, that Cabral might not have signed a pre-contract agreement with Sunderland.

His contract with Basel does not expire until the end of June, which means he can not sign before July 1 anyway. But he can agree a pre-contract, which to all intents and purposes makes him a Sunderland player-in-waiting.

Should Cabral’s move go ahead, it will be another sign of the road manager Paolo Di Canio and owner Ellis Short plan to take Sunderland down now.

Both Cabral, and French defender Valentin Roberge who plays for Portuguese side Maritimo and is also available on a Bosman, appear to be deals which are all but done behind the scenes.

And when added to the acquisition of Whatmore, it is clear that part of Sunderland’s new strategy is to recruit and develop promising young players.

Di Canio wants to add athleticism and pace to the squad, with younger and less injury-prone players.

Short clearly wants his money spent shrewdly – though, of course, it does not rule out bigger transfer fees for other players this summer.

It certainly suggest that Sunderland want to hoover up some of the best Bosmans around and young prospects at bargain prices – before turning their attention to adding one or two more substantial names.

Short does not want to spend big this summer and is looking at a restructuring aimed at getting the best possible value for money.

But he will also appreciate that Martin O’Neill was correct when he said his squad was “short of genuine quality” – and the American will know that it will be a struggle to tackle that issue on the cheap.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

CABRAL Empty WELL,,,,,,HERE WE GO AGAIN, ANOTHER CLOSED SEASON, AND A HATFULL OF DREAMS.

Post  Guest on 2013-05-29, 3:08 am

SUNDERLAND are believed to have clinched the signing of Swiss midfielder Cabral.

Reports coming out of Switzerland suggest the 24-year-old – who has been a key figure for leading Swiss Super League side Basel in recent seasons – has agreed a four-year deal with the Black Cats.
Cabral, full name Adilson Tavares Varela, joined Basel from Lausanne in 2007, but has allowed his contract to run down, and is now available on a Bosman free transfer.
Should the deal be confirmed, the defensive midfielder will become Sunderland’s second signing of the close season with Altrincham’s teenage striker Duncan Whatmore having agreed a move to the Stadium of Light last week.
Cabral was born in the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of West Africa, but took up an option to play his international football for Switzerland, and has been capped by the Swiss right through from Under-18 to Under-21 level.
In November last year though, he exercised his right to play for Cape Verde at senior level, and has since been selected to play for the island of his birth in a game against Ghana.
He is the cousin of ex-Manchester City midfielder Gelson Fernandes.
Sunderland are staying tight-lipped over Cabral, but have confirmed to the Gazette that so far he is yet to officially join the club.
That does not mean though that Cabral might not have signed a pre-contract agreement with Sunderland.
His contract with Basel does not expire until the end of June, which means he could not officially sign before July 1 anyway.
But he could agree a pre-contract, which to all intents and purposes makes him a Sunderland player in waiting.
Should Cabral’s move go ahead, it will be another sign of the road Paolo Di Canio and Ellis Short plan to take Sunderland down now.
Both Cabral, and French defender Valentin Roberge who plays for Portuguese side Maritimo, and is also available on a Bosman, appear to be deals which are all but done behind the scenes.
And when added to the acquisition of Whatmore – who was being chased by Stoke, Hull, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves – it is clear that part of Sunderland’s new strategy is to recruit promising young players and develop them.
Di Canio identified, before the end of the season, the need to add athleticism and pace to the squad, as well as balancing it more in favour of younger, and thus less injury-prone players.
The fact that three players appear set to join without a substantial transfer fee being paid out is also an indication that Short wants to spend his money more shrewdly.
It would not rule out bigger transfer fees later in the
But it would suggest that Sunderland also want to hoover up some of the best Bosmans around and young prospects at bargain prices before turning their attention to adding one or two more substantial names.
Short does not want to spend big this summer, and is looking at a restructuring aimed at getting the best possible value for money.
But he will also appreciate that Martin O’Neill was correct when he said his squad was “short of genuine quality”, and the American will know that it will be a struggle to tackle that issue on the cheap.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/basel-star-cabral-heads-to-sunderland-1-5714536

The last statement. "ON THE CHEAP" Concerns me a little bit?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lever Malone on 2013-05-29, 8:21 am

I think the situation regarding transfers has changed since Bosman. Most clubs are looking for players (to use the phrase) on the cheap and there can be many who are available through being out of contract. It doesn't mean they are not of a high standard. The clubs just have to go through and sort the wheat from the chaff.

I am sure if for some players we have identified for which a fee is required money will be available to bring them in. Although we may not be talking the millions which other managers have had to spend.
Lever Malone
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-05-29, 8:48 am

I honestly believe we are on a two tier strategy.

Get good but cheap players in, first team and squad.

Go for 2 or 3 major signings spending around 20 mil.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-05-29, 9:34 am

cyprussyd wrote:I honestly believe we are on a two tier strategy.

Agreed - I think we are looking to get some more experience in the squad without spending a fortune first and foremost and then look to add a touch of quality at a reasonable price a bit further down the line.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2013-05-29, 9:38 am

Reiver wrote:

Agreed - I think we are looking to get some more experience in the squad without spending a fortune first and foremost and then look to add a touch of quality at a reasonable price a bit further down the line.
sounds good to me
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-05-29, 2:21 pm

Reiver wrote:

Spend cheap, then fork out 40-60 million? Twisted Evil

Nearly pissed myself with laughter.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-05-29, 3:57 pm

commachio wrote:
Reiver wrote:

Spend cheap, then fork out 40-60 million? Twisted Evil

Nearly pissed myself with laughter.

less drink, who mentioned 40 - 60mil?

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum