SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Old fashioned jobs EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Old fashioned jobs EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Old fashioned jobs Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus


Old fashioned jobs

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 11:41 am

Obviously mining, shipbuilding, but what others?

Used to have Villa pop delivery men.
Draymen on horses.
Milkman (do they still excist)
Provie man.
Spot the ball man.
Gadgey selling prawn and cockles in the pubs.

Come on, must be loads.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Vincemac on 2013-04-09, 11:46 am

Chimney sweep
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 7648
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 12:11 pm

commachio wrote:Obviously mining, shipbuilding, but what others?

Used to have Villa pop delivery men.
Draymen on horses.
Milkman (do they still excist) still in coxhoe
Provie man. Still in coxhoe
Spot the ball man.
Gadgey selling prawn and cockles in the pubs. Still in coxhoe club

Come on, must be loads.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 1:16 pm

Village shopkeeper
Woolworth counter assistant
Linesman, football
Newspaper boy

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 1:17 pm

Ex primeminster carer

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 1:18 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Ex primeminster carer

Ffs i shouldn't laugh but that was funny.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 2:51 pm

Scissor sharpener with his little wheelbarrow like thing with a grindstone on it
Rag and bone man
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 2:52 pm

vincemac wrote:Chimney sweep
We have a chimney sweep once a year and he's so busy he has to be booked months in advance.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 2:59 pm

Fish-wife. The last I remember in Sunderland was around 1953. She used to sit in a shop doorway near the Grand Hotel and sell her fish.

Ship's Chandler. The last I remember in Sunderland was Morton's in Norfolk St. I still have a Morton's sextant.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:06 pm

cuteybuns wrote:Fish-wife. The last I remember in Sunderland was around 1953. She used to sit in a shop doorway near the Grand Hotel and sell her fish.

Ship's Chandler. The last I remember in Sunderland was Morton's in Norfolk St. I still have a Morton's sextant.

What's that?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:15 pm

A ship's chandler dealt in all sorts of nautical equipment. Anything from a coil of rope to sextants, compasses, telescopes, etc. You could order ship's dining tables with a sunken area in front of each seat to stop your plate sliding about in rough seas, etc.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:18 pm

cuteybuns wrote:A ship's chandler dealt in all sorts of nautical equipment. Anything from a coil of rope to sextants, compasses, telescopes, etc. You could order ship's dining tables with a sunken area in front of each seat to stop your plate sliding about in rough seas, etc.

Never heard of one, damn interesting though, and they died out because of..? Not enough demand i guess.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:20 pm

lesmac wrote:Scissor sharpener with his little wheelbarrow like thing with a grindstone on it
Rag and bone man

I still see many of them, and a person who will mend your clothing, stitch your jeans etc.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Hieronymus on 2013-04-09, 3:31 pm

There's still a ships chandlery at the junction of the Coast Road and Benfield Road, near Cochrane Park and the old Wills building.

Apart from the fish man, we used to have a van that came round selling fruit and veg, and another that was a grocers/bakers. They were a lifeline for old people especially who couldn't get to the shops any more, but died out as soon as large supermarkets started up. Now the old codgers all have mobility scooters, causing mayhem on our pavements and roads tongue
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10020
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Vincemac on 2013-04-09, 3:38 pm

lesmac wrote:Scissor sharpener with his little wheelbarrow like thing with a grindstone on it
Rag and bone man
my friend I met at roker park 1978 he is a charlton supporter. That was his job down there.he has since retired and sold his buisness
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 7648
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:39 pm

commachio wrote:
cuteybuns wrote:A ship's chandler dealt in all sorts of nautical equipment. Anything from a coil of rope to sextants, compasses, telescopes, etc. You could order ship's dining tables with a sunken area in front of each seat to stop your plate sliding about in rough seas, etc.

Never heard of one, damn interesting though, and they died out because of..? Not enough demand i guess.

Basically, because of a decline in shipping. With bigger and more powerful aircraft, the number of ships went into inevitable decline. In Sunderland, the shipbuilding trade was still profitable, but we couldn't compete for the big tankers and cruise liners that were coming in simply because the Wear isn't wide or deep enough. Which is why we built none of the big Cunard or White Star liners decades ago. Our main output was always small colliers, that ran coal to London, Portsmouth and Southampton for the naval fleet and the big Cunards, and occasionally to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Rouen, etc. That went into decline from the time of the first diesel powered ships. I think, taking a long-term view, Sunderland Town Council was right to accept the EU grant to diversify. We were good, but there's only one direction shipping is going in.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Vincemac on 2013-04-09, 3:40 pm

lesmac wrote:
vincemac wrote:Chimney sweep
We have a chimney sweep once a year and he's so busy he has to be booked months in advance.
yes les and again in the 70s I myself swept a few chimneys
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 7648
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 67

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:40 pm

Ice cream vans, selling ice creams not tabs?

Flake and monkeys blood please.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 3:47 pm

I'm starting to think Coxhoe is back in time.
We stillnhave rag and bone man, twice a week.
Fish man and fruit and veg, both in vans once a week.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 3:49 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I'm starting to think Coxhoe is back in time.
We stillnhave rag and bone man, twice a week.
Fish man and fruit and veg, both in vans once a week.

I'm saying nowt.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 3:52 pm

commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:I'm starting to think Coxhoe is back in time.
We stillnhave rag and bone man, twice a week.
Fish man and fruit and veg, both in vans once a week.

I'm saying nowt.

We do live in past times I think, half day Wednesday, village shops. Even have a prostitute whe still takes old five oound notes

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 4:03 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:I'm starting to think Coxhoe is back in time.
We stillnhave rag and bone man, twice a week.
Fish man and fruit and veg, both in vans once a week.

I'm saying nowt.

We do live in past times I think, half day Wednesday, village shops. Even have a prostitute whe still takes old five oound notes

And what do you get for one of those?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Guest on 2013-04-09, 5:14 pm

Hieronymus wrote:There's still a ships chandlery at the junction of the Coast Road and Benfield Road, near Cochrane Park and the old Wills building.

Fascinated to hear about this. Have you any idea what sort of vessels they serve these day? The more I think of it, there might still be one in Whitby where there is a decent sized pleasure marina.

It's amazing what you can still find if you look for them. I nearly included cordswainer (basically a leather worker) but last year I found one in Lady Peckitt's Yard, York!
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-04-09, 7:16 pm

commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
commachio wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:I'm starting to think Coxhoe is back in time.
We stillnhave rag and bone man, twice a week.
Fish man and fruit and veg, both in vans once a week.

I'm saying nowt.

We do live in past times I think, half day Wednesday, village shops. Even have a prostitute whe still takes old five oound notes

And what do you get for one of those?

She tells you how good you were and how you lasted longer than her other punters. She also takes her tenna lady off.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49239
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2013-04-09, 10:20 pm

Employees who turn up at the agreed time each day other than payday.

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Black Cat Kiwi
Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 10396
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 101
Location : Godzone

Back to top Go down

Old fashioned jobs Empty Re: Old fashioned jobs

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum