SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Lee Cattermole
New Irish bar EmptyToday at 1:49 am by Nostalgic

» Charlton v Sunderland
New Irish bar EmptyYesterday at 8:22 pm by Nostalgic

» Come back Theresa
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-24, 8:08 pm by canary-dave

» Annette's new diet is working
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-23, 6:00 pm by canary-dave

» London-Breaking News
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-23, 4:51 pm by Sid MCFC

» Stewart Donald, never fails to amaze me.
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-23, 3:06 pm by Kipper

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-22, 10:55 pm by Hieronymus

» New Home Strip
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-22, 10:49 pm by Hieronymus

» New Scotland manager
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-22, 6:38 pm by cyprussyd

» Playoff final, a Charlton view
New Irish bar Empty2019-05-21, 9:50 am by Vincemac

New Irish bar

Go down

New Irish bar Empty New Irish bar

Post  Guest on 2013-03-14, 5:27 am

I see Sunderland is getting a new Irish bar, but why is it that Irish bars always get a good name for themselves?

I've been to many a so called Irish bar, that were no more Irish than myself, but give it an Irish name and it's always warmly recieved, any idea's?

A NEW city centre bar is hoping for the luck of the Irish as it opens its doors for the first time.

Life of Riley will open tomorrow in the former Glass Spider in Green Terrace, and will kick off its arrival in the city with a three-day Irish festival.

The venue, which was previously owned by trouble-hit Sunderland firm Wylam Leisure, has stood empty since January last year, but Moorgate Bars believe that the site can prove popular once again.

The company has already had success in the leisure field in South Shields, where it owns Dusk, Viva, The Mile and The Rattler.

Life of Riley in Sunderland echoes the firm’s original Life of Riley in Shields which features vintage-style, decor, live acoustic acts and serves food every day.

Moorgate Bars plan to open a nightclub in the upstairs section of the venue later in the year.

Daniel Whale, marketing manager, said: “The venue had been empty for a long time, and we had to strip everything out and start again to make it Life of Riley.

“We’ve had a great reaction from people since we announced we were opening in Sunderland.

“We’ve had a record number of job applications, much more than we’ve had for any other new venue, and there’s been a lot of interest on social media.”

Life of Riley, which has a 3am licence, will host an opening night tomorrow from 7pm.

The following day it will launch a three-day festival to coincide with St Patrick’s Day on Sunday.

The festival is being led by Seamus Whelan, the former general manager at Paddy Whacks.

“There are a lot of Irish links in Sunderland, and with the closure of Paddy Whacks, it’s something people were missing,” he said.

The festival will feature acts including Mad for Road, Deep Fish, the Seamus Band and Emerald Thieves, Irish dancers and big screens will show the Italy versus Ireland Six Nations rugby match on Saturday.

Seamus added: “Paddy Whacks was popular for its post-match entertainment, and that will be something we will do here as well.

Back to top Go down

New Irish bar Empty Re: New Irish bar

Post  Nostalgic on 2013-03-14, 6:00 am

It just goes reflects the cordiality of the Irish and lure of Guinness. There was a failing pub here in Auckland that was changed to Paddy Maginty's and it's packed out daily. Simple grub and a decent pint works wonders.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-03-14, 6:11 am

Nostalgic wrote:It just goes reflects the cordiality of the Irish and lure of Guinness. There was a failing pub here in Auckland that was changed to Paddy Maginty's and it's packed out daily. Simple grub and a decent pint works wonders.

Is that the golden ticket?

Yet if the identical pub was just an ordinary named English boozer and the same Irish bar was next door, you could put your money on, that the Irish one would have more customers, i've no idea why.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2013-03-14, 6:46 am

commachio wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:It just goes reflects the cordiality of the Irish and lure of Guinness. There was a failing pub here in Auckland that was changed to Paddy Maginty's and it's packed out daily. Simple grub and a decent pint works wonders.

Yet if the identical pub was just an ordinary named English boozer and the same Irish bar was next door, you could put your money on, that the Irish one would have more customers, i've no idea why.

Not always, we recommended the Molly Malone to some friends that were visiting Phuket. Apparently the place has nose-dived but it is not managed by a Brit now. And the old foot tapping music replaced with rock through TV screens.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2013-03-14, 6:59 am

Nostalgic wrote:
commachio wrote:

Not always, we recommended the Molly Malone to some friends that were visiting Phuket. Apparently the place has nose-dived but it is not managed by a Brit now. And the old foot tapping music replaced with rock through TV screens.

Havn't been to Phuket for years, lived in sleaze pitt Pataya for 5 years (i fitted in well) and there is a number of Irish bars, my haunt was named Jamesons, like you say, simple food and a nice pint (not cheap mind), some where to start an evening.

Then i lived in Hua Hin for a while, a decent Irish bar, prime location, good beer, but was dead, ran by a Jock, didn't have a clue..

Now i live right up north, very little to compare with a decent Irish pub, maybe i'll have to make one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2013-03-14, 7:05 am

Your future is right there - O"Neills will have them flocking in.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2013-03-14, 7:32 am

I'm not sure, to be sure, to be sure

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum