SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Political debates
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:54 am by cyprussyd

» Championship bubble waiting to burst?
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 10:11 pm by Steve30000

» Predictions week 18
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:30 pm by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:20 pm by Nostalgic

» Sunderland v Blackpool
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:25 pm by gil t azell

» Happy 82nd
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:32 pm by Hieronymus

» Sunderland to overhaul academy recruitment team
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:27 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» An explanation please ( im looking forward to the answers )
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:12 am by Hieronymus

» Mcgeouch on his way?
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty2019-12-11, 9:09 pm by Steve30000

» Bye bye time to go
Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty2019-12-11, 9:01 pm by Steve30000


Oh Mr Ross

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  oxfordshire on 2019-10-07, 8:22 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
oxfordshire wrote:If I remember correctly H Alex Ferguson had a shocking first couple of years at Man U.
If you are still up for the match v tranmere, do we buy tickets individually and meet up before?
Wrap up Mate, you'll be freezing away from home  Shocked
You will understand the pain I am going through Kiwi. It is very cold today and rain all day but we are going on a tour of a brewery shortly so it is bound to improve.
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 450
Join date : 2014-06-03
Age : 77
Location : Melbourne Australia

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-10-07, 8:55 am

oxfordshire wrote:If I remember correctly H Alex Ferguson had a shocking first couple of years at Man U.
If you are still up for the match v tranmere, do we buy tickets individually and meet up before?
Yes indeed he did - so maybe that is a lesson for all of us who are getting o bit trigger happy.

Yes still planning on coming for Tranmere game. I will get you tickets to sit next to me and hubby if you donlt mind being in the East Stand 'library' Very Happy
 
How many tickets should I get - is other half or anyone else coming along?

And we can just meet up in Hilton Bar beforehand - I have never been in but am sure I wil find you - I will just look for the brownest person wearing a hat with corks dangling from it eh? Laughing  Or actually I will PM you with my phone number so we can whatsapp or text make sure we don't miss each other!

Syd - what is your seat number so I can get our tickets quite close to you?
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10265
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  wanderer on 2019-10-07, 9:08 am

fitz wrote:it is tricky with managers, I actually think that they make relatively little difference - maybe they can add or subtract 5-10% across a season - enough to make some difference but the vast majroty of the team's performance comes from the players and let's face it there is not a huge amount of quality out there on the pitch - this is a team that was humiliated in the premier league and the championship and has hardly set L1 on fire and that has been depleted from those time rather than strengthened - so while we could (and maybe should) replace the manager I don't see it making much of any difference to results - how much difference did it make swapping from Grayson to Coleman? 

the problem is, as I already said so apologies for repeating myself, that you cannot sack 20 players and bring in a whole new squad so what can we do at this point other than look at the coaching staff?

managers get way too much credit for a team's success and way too much blame for its failings but that's the job unfortunately

You aint gonna like this, I have read your reply re-read it and read it again. my first opinion was bollox. and after the 3rd reading I think my first opinion was correct.
wanderer
wanderer
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 247
Join date : 2019-08-04

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  oxfordshire on 2019-10-08, 8:52 am

Hieronymus wrote:
oxfordshire wrote:If I remember correctly H Alex Ferguson had a shocking first couple of years at Man U.
If you are still up for the match v tranmere, do we buy tickets individually and meet up before?
Yes indeed he did - so maybe that is a lesson for all of us who are getting o bit trigger happy.

Yes still planning on coming for Tranmere game. I will get you tickets to sit next to me and hubby if you donlt mind being in the East Stand 'library' Very Happy
 
How many tickets should I get - is other half or anyone else coming along?

And we can just meet up in Hilton Bar beforehand - I have never been in but am sure I wil find you - I will just look for the brownest person wearing a hat with corks dangling from it eh? Laughing  Or actually I will PM you with my phone number so we can whatsapp or text make sure we don't miss each other!

Syd - what is your seat number so I can get our tickets quite close to you?
Thanks H. Just me. Can I pay you on the day? Will will let you know whether I have my hat with corks or the cocky on my shoulder.
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 450
Join date : 2014-06-03
Age : 77
Location : Melbourne Australia

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-10-08, 7:13 pm

oxfordshire wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
oxfordshire wrote:If I remember correctly H Alex Ferguson had a shocking first couple of years at Man U.
If you are still up for the match v tranmere, do we buy tickets individually and meet up before?
Yes indeed he did - so maybe that is a lesson for all of us who are getting o bit trigger happy.

Yes still planning on coming for Tranmere game. I will get you tickets to sit next to me and hubby if you donlt mind being in the East Stand 'library' Very Happy
 
How many tickets should I get - is other half or anyone else coming along?

And we can just meet up in Hilton Bar beforehand - I have never been in but am sure I wil find you - I will just look for the brownest person wearing a hat with corks dangling from it eh? Laughing  Or actually I will PM you with my phone number so we can whatsapp or text make sure we don't miss each other!

Syd - what is your seat number so I can get our tickets quite close to you?
Thanks H. Just me. Can I pay you on the day? Will will let you know whether I have my hat with corks or the cocky on my shoulder.
Watch out H, That's an OLD trick called the 'Ozzie Haka' (Chest, Hips, Pocket, Oops no wallet) that he'll have picked up in the land of chains   lol!

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Black Cat Kiwi
Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 10590
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 101
Location : Godzone

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-10-08, 10:16 pm

oxfordshire wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
oxfordshire wrote:If I remember correctly H Alex Ferguson had a shocking first couple of years at Man U.
If you are still up for the match v tranmere, do we buy tickets individually and meet up before?
Yes indeed he did - so maybe that is a lesson for all of us who are getting o bit trigger happy.

Yes still planning on coming for Tranmere game. I will get you tickets to sit next to me and hubby if you donlt mind being in the East Stand 'library' Very Happy
 
How many tickets should I get - is other half or anyone else coming along?

And we can just meet up in Hilton Bar beforehand - I have never been in but am sure I wil find you - I will just look for the brownest person wearing a hat with corks dangling from it eh? Laughing  Or actually I will PM you with my phone number so we can whatsapp or text make sure we don't miss each other!

Syd - what is your seat number so I can get our tickets quite close to you?
Thanks H. Just me. Can I pay you on the day? Will will let you know whether I have my hat with corks or the cocky on my shoulder.
Absolutely fine. I'll PM you with contact details and look forward to meeting you there. Or come and have a visit up to Bamburgh/Seahouses while you are here - you would be most welcome! Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10265
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-10-10, 8:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49941
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-10-10, 8:41 pm

Very classy. I hope whoever his successor is, is a nice a person and as committed to the cause.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 10265
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 63

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  fitz on 2019-10-10, 10:59 pm

wanderer wrote:
fitz wrote:it is tricky with managers, I actually think that they make relatively little difference - maybe they can add or subtract 5-10% across a season - enough to make some difference but the vast majroty of the team's performance comes from the players and let's face it there is not a huge amount of quality out there on the pitch - this is a team that was humiliated in the premier league and the championship and has hardly set L1 on fire and that has been depleted from those time rather than strengthened - so while we could (and maybe should) replace the manager I don't see it making much of any difference to results - how much difference did it make swapping from Grayson to Coleman? 

the problem is, as I already said so apologies for repeating myself, that you cannot sack 20 players and bring in a whole new squad so what can we do at this point other than look at the coaching staff?

managers get way too much credit for a team's success and way too much blame for its failings but that's the job unfortunately

You aint gonna like this, I have read your reply re-read it and read it again. my first opinion was bollox. and after the 3rd reading I think my first opinion was correct.

OK

________________________________________________________
"Life,” said Marvin dolefully, “loathe it or ignore it, you can’t like it."
fitz
fitz
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 254
Join date : 2019-02-25

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-10-11, 2:08 am

This resonates with the appointment of Denis Smith back in the '80s when we ended in the old Div 3.  He had some patchy results and was not getting much leeway among the few supporters we had at the time.  We ended up promoted and he doubled the gates.  So glad Bob Murray stuck by him.
avatar
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 82
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-10-11, 9:36 am

Well we have now had time to reflect, read other supporters thoughts and views, look at potential replacements and calm ourselves.

Digesting all of this my personal opinion is..


  1. Jack Ross has far more class than the supporters who abused him.
  2. None of the names mentioned as his successes set me alight.
  3. Donald disappoints me in his apparent panic.
  4. We have made a massive mistake in sacking Ross.



Many will disagree and that's fine but right now I am in no rush to go to the SoL, hopefully that will change.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49941
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Argus on 2019-10-11, 10:35 am

My sentiments too Syd.

This club may have a loyal and passionate fan base, but it also has a history of bowing to fans pressure. Jack Ross is simply the latest in a long line managers who have been hounded out of the club by a group of impatient fans.

I was hoping that Donald may herald a fresh approach but I fear that he too has buckled under the same pressure as his predecessors and despite having turned our fortunes around in the past 18 months, if he's not careful he too will become the victim of fans vitriol.

If he doesn't believe me let me remind him that two of our most passionate chairman in recent history- Cowie & Murray - both very successful businessmen and lifelong supporters, were hounded out of a club they both cherished.

Be warned Mr Donald, you could be next!!

________________________________________________________
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you on experience.
Argus
Argus
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 428
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 75
Location : Morpeth

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-10-11, 11:05 am

Argus wrote:My sentiments too Syd.

This club may have a loyal and passionate fan base, but it also has a history of bowing to fans pressure. Jack Ross is simply the latest in a long line managers who have been hounded out of the club by a group of impatient fans.

I was hoping that Donald may herald a fresh approach but I fear that he too has buckled under the same pressure as his predecessors and despite having turned our fortunes around in the past 18 months, if he's not careful he too will become the victim of fans vitriol.

If he doesn't believe me let me remind him that two of our most passionate chairman in recent history- Cowie & Murray - both very successful businessmen and lifelong supporters, were hounded out of a club they both cherished.

Be warned Mr Donald, you could be next!!
I have never fully understood why you stopped going, I think I now do understand.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49941
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-10-11, 6:54 pm

One thing is for certain, there never has been a quick fix in football and some fans owners and others are finding this out for the first time and need a scapegoat.  They have not factored in our finances, player quality or patience to allow a team to settle.  There is nothing new to what is goings on by fans, except in the past it was done in pubs and clubs, but now our social media heroes have the protection of cyber argument and opinion.  

What they overlook, like many in the past have done, what old stager or new hopeful coach would want to take us on given what he faces unless success, as some see it, is delivered.
avatar
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 82
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  fitz on 2019-10-11, 9:32 pm

Cannot say I am overly thrilled by the prospect of the Wycombe manager coming in...

Queens Park Rangers (caretaker)24 October 200819 November 2008621333.3
Queens Park Rangers (caretaker)9 April 20093 May 2009511320.0
Wycombe Wanderers24 September 2012Present3781529712940.2
comparing this with Jack Ross

Alloa Athletic15 December 20158 October 2016341381338.24
St Mirren8 October 201625 May 20188042132552.50
Sunderland25 May 20188 October 20197538271050.67
so we sack someone in order to replace them with someone whose managerial record is a fair bit worse - sounds like a real recipe for success

and just in case Roy Keane does make a comeback his stats are worse than either of them

[th]Total[/th][th][/th]
Sunderland28 August 20064 December 200810042174142.0
Ipswich Town23 April 20097 January 20118128252834.6
18170426938.7

________________________________________________________
"Life,” said Marvin dolefully, “loathe it or ignore it, you can’t like it."
fitz
fitz
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 254
Join date : 2019-02-25

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-10-12, 12:52 am

The guy at Wycombe has had seven seasons to achieve what he has, including a supporters trust taking over the club before it collapsed.  He would be out of his mind to leave now for the hassle of our problems.
avatar
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 82
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-10-12, 8:15 am

So far everything I have read says we should have kept and backed Ross.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49941
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-10-12, 5:40 pm

Clarke doing very badly at Scotland, go on Jack son, ideal for you.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 49941
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-10-12, 9:58 pm

cyprussyd wrote:So far everything I have read says we should have kept and backed Ross.
WE all see the sense of retaining him but our owners do not apparently, implying it came after assessing how things were going after a quarter of the season.

 I feel they have shot themselves in the foot with that claim as they do not have his replacement already lined up.  Not exactly planning ahead as they imply.   For me they have gone for broke too early and my biggest fear is that we spend another season in this league.  

Down the years older supporters who gave up on the club generally claimed that football just wasn't the same any more.  I now know what they meant and quite frankly have reached that stage.
avatar
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 82
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  paddocklad on 2019-10-12, 10:02 pm

If the owners thought Ross was not up to it and needed replacing with someone better who can you would have thought they should have had that person lined up
paddocklad
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 376
Join date : 2015-08-20
Age : 50
Location : Chester-le-Street

Back to top Go down

Oh Mr Ross - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh Mr Ross

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum