SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Our next manager
Shirt Registration EmptyToday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions Mid week 12
Shirt Registration EmptyToday at 4:27 pm by Mackemneil

» Predictions week 12
Shirt Registration EmptyToday at 4:20 pm by Mackemneil

» Results Week 11
Shirt Registration EmptyToday at 4:15 pm by Mackemneil

» League Table week 11
Shirt Registration EmptyToday at 12:24 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Totally unacceptable
Shirt Registration EmptyYesterday at 9:41 pm by Hieronymus

» The Don on the takeover
Shirt Registration EmptyYesterday at 9:04 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» One for sidMCFC
Shirt Registration EmptyYesterday at 12:39 pm by Sid MCFC

» Oh Mr Ross
Shirt Registration Empty2019-10-12, 10:02 pm by paddocklad

» Predictions Week 11
Shirt Registration Empty2019-10-12, 1:37 pm by oldblackcat

Shirt Registration

Go down

Shirt Registration Empty Shirt Registration

Post  Lever Malone on 2019-08-07, 3:35 pm

An article I found says that in the 3rd game of Sunderland's first season as a league club in the 1890/91 season Wolves came up with their colours of red and white stripes. As you know that coincides with the Sunderland shirts so both teams played in red and white stripes. I can't find out what the shirt colours were in the return match. 

The Football League then decreed that for the following season teams had to register their colours and no two teams could choose the same colours. This was no problem as there were only 12 teams in the league. However this rule had to be relaxed when a 2nd division was added. In that case the league informed clubs they all had to have a second strip of white shirts but generally, unlike today, it was the home team that changed if there was a colour clash.  

This and lots of details of how shirts have changed over the years can be found in a website called Historical Football Kits on http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm
Lever Malone
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Shirt Registration Empty Re: Shirt Registration

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-08-07, 4:41 pm

Lever Malone wrote:An article I found says that in the 3rd game of Sunderland's first season as a league club in the 1890/91 season Wolves came up with their colours of red and white stripes. As you know that coincides with the Sunderland shirts so both teams played in red and white stripes. I can't find out what the shirt colours were in the return match. 

The Football League then decreed that for the following season teams had to register their colours and no two teams could choose the same colours. This was no problem as there were only 12 teams in the league. However this rule had to be relaxed when a 2nd division was added. In that case the league informed clubs they all had to have a second strip of white shirts but generally, unlike today, it was the home team that changed if there was a colour clash.  

This and lots of details of how shirts have changed over the years can be found in a website called Historical Football Kits on http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm
White and red stripes I think

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-08-07, 9:01 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Lever Malone wrote:An article I found says that in the 3rd game of Sunderland's first season as a league club in the 1890/91 season Wolves came up with their colours of red and white stripes. As you know that coincides with the Sunderland shirts so both teams played in red and white stripes. I can't find out what the shirt colours were in the return match. 

White and red stripes I think
LOL!!

Very interesting Lever - I was sure I had read somewhere (post from oldblackcat?) that we used to play in blue - but maybe that was before we were in the football league?
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Lever Malone on 2019-08-07, 9:32 pm

You are right Hieronymus the club colours were navy blue up to December 1884. Then it was changed to red and white halved shirts until 1887. Then the red and white stripes came in although the shorts or knickerbockers as they were called then were white. The black shorts if you can call what they wore 'shorts' were introduced the following year. 

I got this information from the website http://historicalkits.co.uk/Sunderland/Sunderland.htm which shows all the variations over the years.

Incidentally in the 1890/91 seasons Sunderland used 16 players. 1 Irishman, 3 from England and 12 Scots!
Lever Malone
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-08-07, 11:41 pm

I love retro shirts (which for me is shirts from the 70s/80s & 90s) - lot of money to be made in them as well thanks to the old nostalgia factor Smile

Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2019-08-08, 7:36 am

Lever Malone wrote:You are right Hieronymus the club colours were navy blue up to December 1884. Then it was changed to red and white halved shirts until 1887. Then the red and white stripes came in although the shorts or knickerbockers as they were called then were white. The black shorts if you can call what they wore 'shorts' were introduced the following year. 

I got this information from the website http://historicalkits.co.uk/Sunderland/Sunderland.htm which shows all the variations over the years.

Incidentally in the 1890/91 seasons Sunderland used 16 players. 1 Irishman, 3 from England and 12 Scots!

I did quite a bit of research on Sunderland kits and am happy to say contributed to this site (name is in the credits)... very good informative site if you're interested in kits....I have informed the bloke who runs the site of a couple of minor errors which he hasn't corrected yet....the "special floodlight kit" was first worn a couple of years earlier than stated in a friendly against Dundee utd...The Arsenal type kit 3rd March 1956 was worn at St James Park in the FA Cup replay but not as far as I know in the home games....as regarding the Wolves game mentioned I'll have to go through my books (when I have time) to check that out...something in the back of my mind tells me we borrowed a change kit.
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum