SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Our next manager
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyToday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions Mid week 12
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyToday at 4:27 pm by Mackemneil

» Predictions week 12
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyToday at 4:20 pm by Mackemneil

» Results Week 11
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyToday at 4:15 pm by Mackemneil

» League Table week 11
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyToday at 12:24 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Totally unacceptable
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyYesterday at 9:41 pm by Hieronymus

» The Don on the takeover
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyYesterday at 9:04 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» One for sidMCFC
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia EmptyYesterday at 12:39 pm by Sid MCFC

» Oh Mr Ross
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia Empty2019-10-12, 10:02 pm by paddocklad

» Predictions Week 11
Roker Park move, history and nostalgia Empty2019-10-12, 1:37 pm by oldblackcat

Roker Park move, history and nostalgia

Go down

Roker Park move, history and nostalgia Empty Roker Park move, history and nostalgia

Post  Guest on 2019-07-21, 2:35 pm

I'm doing some research about nostalgia and fan activism and looking at the move from Roker Park in particular.

What do people remember about the move at the time? Was there much in the way of protest about the move?

What do people make of the recent developments at the SOL - naming the Roker End, the lattice work, the flags, discussions about safe standing? How important is history and tradition of the club, or is it all about the here-and-now?

Grateful for any thoughts on this...

Back to top Go down

Roker Park move, history and nostalgia Empty Re: Roker Park move, history and nostalgia

Post  Admin on 2019-07-21, 3:04 pm

OrdinaryJon wrote:I'm doing some research about nostalgia and fan activism and looking at the move from Roker Park in particular.

What do people remember about the move at the time? Was there much in the way of protest about the move?

What do people make of the recent developments at the SOL - naming the Roker End, the lattice work, the flags, discussions about safe standing? How important is history and tradition of the club, or is it all about the here-and-now?

Well we have a question or two there my friend.

What do people remember about the move at the time

Roker Park was home but by the time we moved it felt old and tired, I was ready for the move and would go to the building site that was to become our new home with lots of excitement. I cant remember any protests TBH.

What do people make of the recent developments at the SOL - naming the Roker End, the lattice work, the flags

All good.

discussions about safe standing

Fine providing its not near me and I keep my seat.

History and tradition are vital for me, we must never forget where we came from or the people who got us here.
The present and future is the here and now and its what will make the history when we are gone so also important.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Roker Park move, history and nostalgia Empty Re: Roker Park move, history and nostalgia

Post  Guest on 2019-07-21, 9:15 pm

Admin wrote:
OrdinaryJon wrote:I'm doing some research about nostalgia and fan activism and looking at the move from Roker Park in particular.

Well we have a question or two there my friend.

What do people remember about the move at the time

Roker Park was home but by the time we moved it felt old and tired, I was ready for the move and would go to the building site that was to become our new home with lots of excitement. I cant remember any protests TBH.

What do people make of the recent developments at the SOL - naming the Roker End, the lattice work, the flags

All good.

discussions about safe standing

Fine providing its not near me and I keep my seat.

History and tradition are vital for me, we must never forget where we came from or the people who got us here.
The present and future is the here and now and its what will make the history when we are gone so also important.

- - - 
Cheers for that. I think a lot of people share that sentiment about Roker Park - we loved it but it felt like a ground that was 90+ years old and something needed to change.  

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2019-07-22, 7:18 am

I remember some fans saying we should stay at Roker and re-develop the ground but logistically this would have been impossible...don't think there was a major protest

Re-naming the Roker End...I think the away fans should be put there (it was the away end at Roker)

The Lattice work and Flags...good

Safe standing....yes, good... and no, bad.....I don't think it improves the atmosphere if you sit or stand...it depends on how vocal you are

History and Tradition are very important and should never be forgotten
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2019-07-22, 8:52 am

I think that we'd all have liked to stay at Roker Park, but there were no protests . . . . just disappointment, though we knew that it wasn't possible to 'fix' the old lady Sad

Recent developments regarding renaming it as The Roker End and the lattice work, flags etcetera are a wonderful and nostalgic touch Wink . . . . it's also where the 'away' fans should be (at least in the SW corner, where they should have been moved to in the first place rather than allow an idiot to move them to where they are now).

The issue of 'safe standing' is a good idea 'cos standing definately does encourage more vocal activity, therefore improving the atmosphere, especially if we're next to the 'away' fans Wink

History is obviously important, rendering that part a daft question, otherwise we'd not know where we came from and there'd be no nostalgia Wink

Happy to help Smile
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum