SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
In all honesty EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
In all honesty EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
In all honesty Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
In all honesty Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
In all honesty Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
In all honesty Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
In all honesty Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
In all honesty Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
In all honesty Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
In all honesty Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

In all honesty

Go down

In all honesty Empty In all honesty

Post  Guest on 2019-05-04, 7:37 pm

Would promotion be worthwhile.

Back to top Go down

In all honesty Empty Re: In all honesty

Post  fitz on 2019-05-04, 7:46 pm

a team that cannot perform well in league 1 is going to get stomped in the Championship so unless there is a huge injection of money around the corner I am not sure a season of struggle is what anyone wants to see (unless Sunderland Til I die gets a 3rd season!)
fitz
fitz
Forum Father

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-05-04, 8:01 pm

I would imagine if we got promoted monies would be made available. So yes I would like promotion but it wouldnt be a disaster if we had another season in league 1. JUST  more tho.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-05-04, 8:16 pm

Yes it is a real possibility that we have another season in League One.
Effort is not lacking, 
Top table quality is a tad short.
Present team would struggle in the Championship.

Yes promotion is still a theoretical possibility and we can live in hope..
My glass needs a refill.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-05-04, 9:12 pm

Disappointingly predictable, possibly achieved through under investment and short term thinking that people accepted thinking we were stony broke.  Whether we make it or not we make it we will need huge investment for next season, so hopefully our owners are up to their word.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-05-04, 9:27 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Disappointingly predictable, possibly achieved through under investment and short term thinking that people accepted thinking we were stony broke.  Whether we make it or not we make it we will need huge investment for next season, so hopefully our owners are up to their word.
Not sure if they actually have the money Nos until they get rid of Cattermole & those out on loan whom continue to bleed the club. 

Ps. BUY a friggen STRIKER or loan one from a bigger club & pay them an enormous bonus per goal !!!!!!!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  trouble_n_stripes on 2019-05-04, 9:30 pm

Our transfer deals in January alone had me excited that we could/would make automatic promotion.

But unfortunately Grigg hasn't  been that league 1 player he once was.

Our Achilles heel was the EFL trophy, causing too many games plus injuries.

Added 19 games drawn which basically makes up half of the fixtures!!

Surely it must be nailed on for a promotion next season!!
trouble_n_stripes
trouble_n_stripes
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-05-04, 9:41 pm

trouble_n_stripes wrote:Our transfer deals in January alone had me excited that we could/would make automatic promotion.

But unfortunately Grigg hasn't  been that league 1 player he once was.

Our Achilles heel was the EFL trophy, causing too many games plus injuries.

Added 19 games drawn which basically makes up half of the fixtures!!

Surely it must be nailed on for a promotion next season!!

At least none of the clubs getting relegated from the championship look like they will be up to much
fitz
fitz
Forum Father

Back to top Go down

Post  trouble_n_stripes on 2019-05-04, 10:04 pm

Think we must be careful what we say/think. 

We might get banned by the in crowd! like
trouble_n_stripes
trouble_n_stripes
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-05-04, 10:33 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Disappointingly predictable, possibly achieved through under investment and short term thinking that people accepted thinking we were stony broke.  Whether we make it or not we make it we will need huge investment for next season, so hopefully our owners are up to their word.
Not sure if they actually have the money Nos until they get rid of Cattermole & those out on loan whom continue to bleed the club. 

Ps. BUY a friggen STRIKER or loan one from a bigger club & pay them an enormous bonus per goal !!!!!!!
They knew what they were taking on and have been generally given a free pass by reasonable people but we have the harsh reality of nothingness facing us all and they have some hard decisions and investments to drum up.  We paid out four million for striker Grigg in January but I haven't seen anything of him to pass fair judgement, but from reports I would say our problems appear as much at the back.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-05-04, 11:37 pm

trouble_n_stripes wrote:Think we must be careful what we say/think. 

No idea what that means, when was the last time anyone was banned from SunderMad?

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-05-05, 6:42 am

cyprussyd wrote:

No idea what that means, when was the last time anyone was banned from SunderMad?

Not banned but I have chosen to leave most of the SAFC related groups I am in on FB and other forums. Unfortunately for you lot I am staying on this one.

Some of the comments I read yesterday made me question whether I actually want some people to follow SAFC. Yes we didnt go up, yes JR and the players have made mistakes, No fan is admitting they thought o9 was absolute sh*te after 1 game and he never should wear the shirt again. No fan is admitting they were screaming for 4-4-2 which has seen us lose more games since JR opted for this formation (possibly not the correct personnel). 
I accept everybody is entitled to an opinion but my opinion is some of these should stay in at the weekend and get the homework done for school. Persomal insults are bang out of order.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-05-05, 7:39 am

gil t azell wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

Not banned but I have chosen to leave most of the SAFC related groups I am in on FB and other forums. Unfortunately for you lot I am staying on this one.

Some of the comments I read yesterday made me question whether I actually want some people to follow SAFC. Yes we didnt go up, yes JR and the players have made mistakes, No fan is admitting they thought o9 was absolute sh*te after 1 game and he never should wear the shirt again. No fan is admitting they were screaming for 4-4-2 which has seen us lose more games since JR opted for this formation (possibly not the correct personnel). 
I accept everybody is entitled to an opinion but my opinion is some of these should stay in at the weekend and get the homework done for school. Persomal insults are bang out of order.

Great post gil, well said  like

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2019-05-05, 8:49 am

canary-dave wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

Agree whole heartedly Gil  like

People have very short memories and unreasonable expectations !!

We can still do it, but if not, will I stop being a Sunderland fan? After 57 years, NO. We roll our sleeves up and go again, just like we did after losing to Charlton last time.

A few tweaks and a couple of signings to strengthen that spine and we may well run away with it next season and be better prepared for survival in the Championship.

love sunderland
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2019-05-05, 11:02 am

Mackemneil wrote:
canary-dave wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

We can still do it, but if not, will I stop being a Sunderland fan? After 57 years, NO. We roll our sleeves up and go again, just like we did after losing to Charlton last time.

A few tweaks and a couple of signings to strengthen that spine and we may well run away with it next season and be better prepared for survival in the Championship.

love sunderland
Nothing to add
Well said gents
Jerry the Jinx
Jerry the Jinx
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-05-05, 11:38 am

The above posts show the character of true fans.  It’s not bullshit when I say I’m proud of you all.  like
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-05-05, 7:16 pm

Jerry the Jinx wrote:
Mackemneil wrote:
canary-dave wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

love sunderland
Nothing to add
Well said gents
I agree Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-05-06, 11:26 am

I have avoided this post in the main because I wanted to see other peoples views and opinions but the post of the week for me is Gills, one I agree with 100%.

I guess opinions are formed by what we want from our club and yes promotion back to the premier league is everyone's ambition and yes the past month has been bitterly disappointing.

But I judge a lot on how I feel about match day and for me the match day experience, more than a football game, is a thousand times better than it was and I have enjoyed 99% of games.

The OP asks would promotion be worth it.yes it would and I fail to see any reason that it would not be.

This squad would struggle, yes it would but why does anyone think we will have the same squad.
We have no money, yes we have.
We have drawn to many games, yes we have but we have spent years losing them.

Promoted or not and right now I am going for promotion, my seat is paid for for next season and I expect Ross to be manager and I expect to still be enjoying match days.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-05-06, 11:30 am

cyprussyd wrote:I have avoided this post in the main because I wanted to see other peoples views and opinions but the post of the week for me is Gills, one I agree with 100%.

I guess opinions are formed by what we want from our club and yes promotion back to the premier league is everyone's ambition and yes the past month has been bitterly disappointing.

But I judge a lot on how I feel about match day and for me the match day experience, more than a football game, is a thousand times better than it was and I have enjoyed 99% of games.

The OP asks would promotion be worth it.yes it would and I fail to see any reason that it would not be.

This squad would struggle, yes it would but why does anyone think we will have the same squad.
We have no money, yes we have.
We have drawn to many games, yes we have but we have spent years losing them.

Promoted or not and right now I am going for promotion, my seat is paid for for next season and I expect Ross to be manager and I expect to still be enjoying match days.
If money is a little tight promotion might well mean you have a better chance of bringing in some decent loan players as well.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-05-06, 12:32 pm

vinkel wrote:Would promotion be worthwhile.
When I say would promotion be worthwhile I mean this season. All this talk of a takeover must be unsettling, I thought with new owner all the previous seasonal changes were a thing of the past, and we were in for a period of calm. So would another season in this league be productive or destructive. Will SD still be here next season, will JR be here next season.
Will I be here next season yes, SC payed for. And yes you will have to put up with me for some time yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-05-08, 1:07 pm

Another view below from someone writing in to RR which is well reasoned. As for whether we get promotion or not: what will be will be. Purely on an emotional level, I have enjoyed the season, enjoyed going to games and I'm sure I  will next year even if we are in the same division. I am expecting mistakes to have been learned from and I expect us to be stronger. Patience is the key to a strong future.

Dear Roker Report,
I’ve just read the latest letter to your site regarding our current situation and frankly I’m actually ‘amazed that people are amazed’ at fans being disappointed with the season so far.
The owners have on the whole done a fantastic job of steadying the ship, bringing the players in using their own money and getting the club in a state where Short has been paid off early.
We have a team and squad accrued from the premiership, the championship, from teams who won the league in this division and from a Cat A academy.
All of this is to be applauded - however we’re selling the owners short by saying that we’ve signed ‘discarded players’ when the truth of it is that we’ve spent double the total transfer money of the whole league combined.
Despite the above backing the team have all season been woefully short of pace, guile and physical presence right across the pitch - especially in midfield and central defence. This has never been addressed.
By the stats we have only created the same number of goal scoring chances as a mid table team, and we consistently allow the same number of clear goal scoring opportunities at the other end against us as a typical mid table team.
We have over relied on:
- Maja scoring 1 in 2 of the few chances we created.
- McLoughlin making saves every week that gave him MOTM type ratings (in a team chasing promotion).
- McGeady to ‘do something different’ and create chances when the rest of the team can’t.
We have never looked like a well put together team with a settled first 11 who knew what was required of them on the pitch. Let alone dominated matches for long spells or put together the same type of performances, scorelines and winning runs that the top two managed with ease.
All of the above; the lack of a plan, the lack of pace, the lack of physical presence, starting well then sitting back and inviting the opposition to attack to level the scores - have been discussed after each match ad infinitum since October. We simply have never looked convincingly like a team going for promotion after the first month or so of the season.
We have missed out on automatic promotion despite drawing 19 matches, 11 of these draws were after we lost a lead we held in the match.
If we’d held on in 2 or 3 of these matches we’d have gone up automatically.
In the final run in of ‘must win’ matches at the end of the season we; barely registered a shot on target until late in the second half (Peterborough), took the lead against a mid table team with nothing to play for and sat back and barely cared as they first equalised and then scored the winner (Fleetwood), and capitulated to a team in the relegation zone (Southend). We won once in these 7 matches - if we’d won 2 more of these and drawn another we’d have gone up automatically.
That’s why the season so far has been a disappointing one, because the margins have been so narrow and we’ve failed to take advantage when we could.
Let me say we have no divine right to go up automatically because we’re the so called biggest club in this division - we’re in this situation because we deserve to be.
However we do have the right to point out the above truths and doing so does not make us deluded or lesser fans than others.
The important thing now is to look forward to the play offs and try to gain promotion to the championship this season or risk losing McGeady and McLoughlin and having to start all over without the two most important players.
The review can wait until the close season and the club can decide on the way forward, hopefully by clearing out more high earners and allowing Ross to bring in players who can compliment our existing team and play the fast, attacking, pressing game he described when he arrived last summer.
ITHICS,
Jonathan Carty
Ed’s Note [Gav]: Your thoughts pretty much echo my own and those are all things I’ve tried to express in reply to various letters over the last week or so. Ultimately I feel our recruitment has not been good enough over the two windows we’ve had since the club was taken over. When we sat down last summer to work out what we needed it should have been made clear that Sunderland’s squad NEEDS pace, power and height. We failed spectacularly in our efforts to add players who gave us those things - though it is worth noting that the club did indeed try to recruit several players who would have added those attributes but, ultimately, were not able to.
Kamberi and Taylor held talks but chose other clubs and they would have given our forward line some bustle and athleticism, whilst in midfield we had George Evans practically signed but he decided Derby was a more suitable destination at the last minute. We threw money at Cheltenham for the pacey striker Mo Eisa but Bristol City paid a lot more than we were prepared to, and whilst he’s done nothing since his big move it’s not inconceivable that he could have been a success here. Ultimately, the alternatives that we targeted didn’t necessarily have attributes we needed, or couldn’t stay fit.
We had a chance to put things right in January and actually signed some very good players, but in hindsight our business does seem a little odd. Jimmy Dunne hasn’t really impressed despite being a towering figure, though bizarrely just as he was starting to do okay a few weeks ago he was dropped for Tom Flanagan. Grant Leadbitter is an asset to this squad but some variety in centre midfield to compliment what he, Cattermole and McGeouch offer would have been beneficial. And, whilst we were all over the moon that we signed Grigg, as it has transpired we signed an injured player who since arriving has struggled to get fit.
There are several big lessons to be learned from the last twelve months or so, whether we remain in League One or go up to the Championship. The new owners and people in charge at all levels seem attentive and I’d like to think they’ll try to accept where things haven’t worked and look to put those right in the summer.
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum