SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» SCMP
UK Politics EmptyYesterday at 8:57 pm by Vincemac

» Love departs
UK Politics EmptyYesterday at 1:11 pm by fitz

» Time flies
UK Politics EmptyYesterday at 12:07 pm by cretanmakem

» New Fantasy Season
UK Politics Empty2019-07-19, 9:15 pm by Hieronymus

» Season cards
UK Politics Empty2019-07-19, 5:22 pm by cretanmakem

» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
UK Politics Empty2019-07-19, 2:42 pm by Mackemneil

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
UK Politics Empty2019-07-19, 9:29 am by Kipper

» Good Luck
UK Politics Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
UK Politics Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
UK Politics Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

UK Politics

Go down

UK Politics Empty UK Politics

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-05-04, 9:00 am

I think it was no secret that our politics is broken, maybe beyond repair and the local election results have confirmed that big time.

Coming up, maybe, are the EU elections and it would be no surprise to see the new BREXIT party smash everyone else but what does it all tell us.

Well it tells me that BREXIT has broken us, however well Farage does does anyone really think The BREXIT Party would be serious contenders in a general election?

I understand labours attempt to find a compromise  with their views on BREXIT and IMO its a fair compromise, however its not working so they need to come down on one side, in or a new vote.

So we have two party leaders, one who is struggling to lead, and I am a Corbyn fan, and one who is leaving but wont leave. Two main parties that are split and it seems a country that is split. 

Record employment and record food bank usage and homelessness, how does that work out.

A great night for the Greens and the Lib Dems but, could either form the next government, no.

So is this the end of our two party system with future governments be forced to work together and compromise or once BREXIT is over will it go back to business as usual.

I think we will see a General Election by the end of the year but I now have absolutely no idea how it will turn out, none at all.

We can shout as loud as we like about how a Corbyn lead government will bring fairness and equality but all the signs are that there are still many unconvinced and we know that most are not convinced about the Tories.

Any clues please about the future?

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

UK Politics Empty Re: UK Politics

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-05-04, 11:09 am

Well I am struggling to see howthe Conservatives losing 1334 seats is anything other than a catastrophe for them, yet our media seem to think losing 82 seats is just as bad! Yes Labour may have expected to make gains but the Lib Dems have always been strong at local level, if not nationally and HAD to bounce back from their low base after they were almost wiped out at the last elections. The Greens capitalised on the recent Exctinction Rebellion stuff that had raised their profile in recent days, especially among young people.

We saw mixed results all over the country and I do not think we can make generalisations as to why - these were local elections and in many cases local issues came into play - especially in places like Sunderland and Middlesbrough. But there was a strong message sent to our politicians and they should have the self-awareness to recognise it. I believe Jeremy Corbyn does, but I do not believe Teresa May or any of her Cabinet do.

As you say Syd, current politics appears broken - but not everywhere. There are green shoots - including the election of Jamie Driscoll as North of Tyne Mayor yesterday, of which I am proud to say I played a part. I am in politics for one reason - people - and our people need help. However you feel about Jeremy Corbyn as leader, just remember the Tories are responsible for getting the UK into this dreadful place we find ourselves in. For me and many others, only the Labour Party has the policies to fix the Broken Britain we have become.

As it happens I am also working on a motion to Conference to see a change to our electoral system (get rid of "First Past the Post") as part of a future Labour manifesto pledge. I think collaboration and cooperation are the only way we can address our own, as well as global, problems and if we have coalition governments in future, with progressive parties working together for the good of the whole country, I would be very happy indeed.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-05-07, 12:14 am

when you see how many seats were lost by the conservatives the vast majority were in the South of England and they mostly went to pro-Remain parties like the Lib-Dems so it is pretty clear what the message to the Tories was from their supporters "we don't want Brexit" and yet somehow the papers (that are nearly all pro-Brexit) chose to interpret it as a demand to get on with Brexit, which is kind of funny.
fitz
fitz
Forum Father

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2019-05-10, 2:21 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Well I am struggling to see howthe Conservatives losing 1334 seats is anything other than a catastrophe for them, yet our media seem to think losing 82 seats is just as bad! Yes Labour may have expected to make gains but the Lib Dems have always been strong at local level, if not nationally and HAD to bounce back from their low base after they were almost wiped out at the last elections. The Greens capitalised on the recent Exctinction Rebellion stuff that had raised their profile in recent days, especially among young people.

We saw mixed results all over the country and I do not think we can make generalisations as to why - these were local elections and in many cases local issues came into play - especially in places like Sunderland and Middlesbrough. But there was a strong message sent to our politicians and they should have the self-awareness to recognise it. I believe Jeremy Corbyn does, but I do not believe Teresa May or any of her Cabinet do.

As you say Syd, current politics appears broken - but not everywhere. There are green shoots - including the election of Jamie Driscoll as North of Tyne Mayor yesterday, of which I am proud to say I played a part. I am in politics for one reason - people - and our people need help. However you feel about Jeremy Corbyn as leader, just remember the Tories are responsible for getting the UK into this dreadful place we find ourselves in. For me and many others, only the Labour Party has the policies to fix the Broken Britain we have become.

As it happens I am also working on a motion to Conference to see a change to our electoral system (get rid of "First Past the Post") as part of a future Labour manifesto pledge. I think collaboration and cooperation are the only way we can address our own, as well as global, problems and if we have coalition governments in future, with progressive parties working together for the good of the whole country, I would be very happy indeed.
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-05-10, 10:06 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Well I am struggling to see howthe Conservatives losing 1334 seats is anything other than a catastrophe for them, yet our media seem to think losing 82 seats is just as bad! Yes Labour may have expected to make gains but the Lib Dems have always been strong at local level, if not nationally and HAD to bounce back from their low base after they were almost wiped out at the last elections. The Greens capitalised on the recent Exctinction Rebellion stuff that had raised their profile in recent days, especially among young people.

I don't do politics as it always ends in controversy as most adults can't accept others opinions without fighting
You Ma'am are an exception.

Please I implore you to look at NZ's 'MMP' & see how a this country is being run by the current minority Governments ideological beliefs with a grandstanding photogenic leader. 

Be very careful what you ask for.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-05-10, 11:00 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

I don't do politics as it always ends in controversy as most adults can't accept others opinions without fighting

Please I implore you to look at NZ's 'MMP' & see how a this country is being run by the current minority Governments ideological beliefs with a grandstanding photogenic leader. 

No system is perfect but honestly NOTHING could be worse than what we have at the moment here in the UK.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-05-16, 12:39 am

Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

No system is perfect but honestly NOTHING could be worse than what we have at the moment here in the UK.
Make sure the threshold is higher than 5%.
The current minority is looking to lower it to 4% before the next election to ensure it's even easier to not lose in 18 months.
I hope people have enough common sense to crush them.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum