SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Accrington Stanley v Sunderland
Villain or just misguided? EmptyToday at 2:13 pm by Hieronymus

» Sid MCFC an apology!
Villain or just misguided? EmptyToday at 10:53 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Rotherham United
Villain or just misguided? EmptyToday at 8:04 am by gil t azell

» Have i got my days mixed up
Villain or just misguided? EmptyToday at 3:40 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Sunderland sue doctor for £13MILLION
Villain or just misguided? EmptyYesterday at 4:47 pm by fitz

» Geoffrey Boycott!
Villain or just misguided? EmptyYesterday at 10:58 am by canary-dave

» Predictions week 07
Villain or just misguided? EmptyYesterday at 7:49 am by oldblackcat

» Watmore
Villain or just misguided? Empty2019-09-13, 9:12 pm by Nostalgic

» Yellowhammer
Villain or just misguided? Empty2019-09-13, 12:23 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Rumours getting stronger
Villain or just misguided? Empty2019-09-13, 10:44 am by gil t azell

Villain or just misguided?

Go down

Villain or just misguided? Empty Villain or just misguided?

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-30, 9:17 am

Now that the Short reign is finally over with the remainder of money owed to him paid I thought I would try and stimulate some debate by asking the question,

In your opinion was Short..

A VILLAIN
He came in for one thing, cash. He bled the club dry taking it to near administration. A number of SunderMadders have hinted this to be the case but so far I have seen accusations but no proof, now is your opportunity.

MISGUIDED
He came to make Sunderland a success and lost a fortune doing it but, time after time he took the wrong advice, employed the wrong people who bought the wrong players resulting in back to back relegation.

My opinion has always been he falls into the misguided category. There is a story that he regrets the day he met Niall Quinn but I dont buy that excuse and dont blame Quinn one bit. Short is a billionaire and you dont become a billionaire by being stupid and you dont buy a football club because of Irish charm. So IMO he bought Sunderland with eyes wide open and cant blame Quinn or anyone else for that decision.

His reign started with him sacking Roy Kean and if the stories are to be believed he did not sack him for footballing reasons but because he would not move his family to the northeast and in doing so showed his ignorance of modern day football.

We then had his best spell in charge under Bruce but the end of the Bruce reign started the annual manager merry go round and what IMO was the decision that would haunt him, he employed De Fanti who brought in a batch of footballers we had never heard of and who would drain the club with long contracts and ridiculous wages.

Managers came. recruited the were sacking leaving an ever increasing squad of players the new manager did not want but who we could only get rid of at a cost to the club. That cost meant the next manager had an ever decreasing transfer kitty.

Great escapes came and that papered over the growing cracks until we tried for one great escape to many.

Relegation to the Championship seemed a low point but it was not, the low point was just around the corner.

All of this was Shorts fault, he was the boss, he employed the people and in the end his reign was shown to be an absolute failure but, IMO, not through greed but through incompetence in running a football club.

2 things IMO show that Short cared. One his willingness to write a 3 million pound check every month to keep the club afloat and two his willingness to write off the massive debts giving the new owners a chance of rebuilding the club.

So bottom line for me is I regret Shorts reign and blame him for the mess the club was in. however I dont believe he was greedy or did not care, he was simply out of his depth in running a business he did not understand and he employed all the wrong people to run the business for him.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Villain or just misguided? Empty Re: Villain or just misguided?

Post  Guest on 2019-04-30, 10:24 am

No sinner No saint, I think he came with good intentions and was doing ok while Nial was here. But once he took over total control he surrounded himself with the wrong people, and was badly advised.Then the great escapes led him to believe he could recoup some money by running the club on a shoestring. Big bucks coming in little going out. And eventually it all came tumbling down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-04-30, 11:12 am

cyprussyd wrote:Now that the Short reign is finally over with the remainder of money owed to him paid I thought I would try and stimulate some debate by asking the question,

In your opinion was Short..

A VILLAIN
He came in for one thing, cash. He bled the club dry taking it to near administration. A number of SunderMadders have hinted this to be the case but so far I have seen accusations but no proof, now is your opportunity.

So bottom line for me is I regret Shorts reign and blame him for the mess the club was in. however I dont believe he was greedy or did not care, he was simply out of his depth in running a business he did not understand and he employed all the wrong people to run the business for him.
He charged the club an 'above market rate' for the money lent (UK Company records) - FACT which can be confirmed in a number of readily available UK articles on the subject.

Anyhow, back to the opinion side. I truly believe his intentions were entirely honorable & that he did fall in love with SAFC but he's not a Billionaire by chance & so if I was so lucky to be one I'd make damned sure the UK taxpayer picked up the tab as much as I could.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2019-04-30, 4:29 pm

As already mentioned, I think his original intentions were honourable - having been sold the 'magic carpet' dream by Quinn but once he departed, Short surrounded himself with the wrong people and he paid the price.

As owner, he just became a scapegoat for many fans - much like Cowie & Murray -  both lifelong supporters who were eventually hounded out of the club for failing to please a small but very loud minority of fans.

I don't have exact details of the deal that Short did with the new owners, but it's been reported on numerous occasions that he was very accommodating in finding the right people to succeed him and he took a big financial hit.

I know there will be 'financial experts' out there who will counterclaim that his losses will have been well covered by some tax deal  but to be honest I'm not bothered and no doubt we would all do exactly the same, given the same circumstances. He didn't have to do a deal with Stewart Donald and he certainly didn't need to make it favourable, the fact that he did makes me remember him simply as yet another wealthy person who thought he could succeed but got out when he realised that the rules for operating a very successful and profitable business are very different to running a football club.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-30, 5:20 pm

Argus wrote:As already mentioned, I think his original intentions were honourable - having been sold the 'magic carpet' dream by Quinn but once he departed, Short surrounded himself with the wrong people and he paid the price.

As owner, he just became a scapegoat for many fans - much like Cowie & Murray -  both lifelong supporters who were eventually hounded out of the club for failing to please a small but very loud minority of fans.

I don't have exact details of the deal that Short did with the new owners, but it's been reported on numerous occasions that he was very accommodating in finding the right people to succeed him and he took a big financial hit.

I know there will be 'financial experts' out there who will counterclaim that his losses will have been well covered by some tax deal  but to be honest I'm not bothered and no doubt we would all do exactly the same, given the same circumstances. He didn't have to do a deal with Stewart Donald and he certainly didn't need to make it favourable, the fact that he did makes me remember him simply as yet another wealthy person who thought he could succeed but got out when he realised that the rules for operating a very successful and profitable business are very different to running a football club.
APPL APPL

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-04-30, 7:26 pm

it is very hard to make a success of running any kind of sporting franchise - outside of a few golden ticket scenarios like having an NFL franchise where it is pretty much impossible not to make a ton of money due to the salary cap, huge TV revenues and no risk of relegation no matter how bad you are. I always say that if businesses were run like football clubs 99% of them would go bust in a year
fitz
fitz
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-04-30, 9:19 pm

For me the only thing missing are the reasons he did what he did and why, particularly who he approached to manage the club. When we landed the unfortunate Moyes we were already crumbling but if Short's claim that he had finally got the man he wanted six years previously tells me he had possibly done the rounds and been rebuffed by other clubs or the managers themselves.  Nothing new there..

It may also give some insight into just how hard he tried but his manager appointments were never his first choice.  Either way, he backed them financially but not many of them panned out and we ended up in a financial bog at the wrong time, but like other chairmen before him, nothing you could really identify as a catalyst.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2019-05-01, 3:41 am

I can only echo what has already been said, but I hate English football institutions being playthings for the mega rich. I hope one day it all comes crashing down and English football becomes competitive again from 1 to 20/24

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum