SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» You are shit
thoughts EmptyToday at 9:26 pm by Nostalgic

» Playoff final, a Charlton view
thoughts EmptyToday at 12:45 pm by cyprussyd

» Just love Keano
thoughts EmptyToday at 11:10 am by Kipper

» Jack Rodwell MK 2
thoughts EmptyToday at 10:09 am by canary-dave

» Man Citeh!!!!
thoughts EmptyToday at 8:30 am by canary-dave

» Football Finances
thoughts EmptyYesterday at 10:26 am by Hieronymus

» Get your tissues before viewing
thoughts Empty2019-05-18, 3:51 pm by Hieronymus

» Wembley
thoughts Empty2019-05-18, 8:33 am by Sid MCFC

» Hampshire Police launch assault investigation
thoughts Empty2019-05-18, 7:40 am by Kipper

» Charlton or Doncaster?
thoughts Empty2019-05-18, 7:13 am by gil t azell

thoughts

Go down

thoughts Empty thoughts

Post  oldblackcat on 2019-04-28, 8:28 am

As I walked away from the ground yesterday I wasn't angry and I wasn't upset, (after all we were in the same position we were in before the game...in a play off place with a chance of promotion).However quite a few other "fans" (if you can call them that)are.

We have the best squad in the league,we have the biggest wage bill,we have the biggest support,the best training facilities,we should be running away with the league they cry,while in the next breath they contradict themselves proclaiming that too many draws this crap player and that crap player and the manager isn't good enough.So let me get this right....we are useless,crap,not good enough but we are also so good we should have already won this league easily? I'm afraid I can't work that one out Mad

People need to step back and take into perspective all that has happened this season.Step back a year and what do we see? We see a club never mind a team on it's knees, bankrupt and broken and close to extinction.We had a team (well players) that didn't care or  want to be here apart from picking up their big wage packets.Fans that had followed the team all their lives disillusioned and drifting away in droves.All in all a club and team that had become a laughing stock.

The only light in the darkness was that the club had been purchased by new owners who came in with an upbeat and positive attitude and a promise to try and turn things around and rebuild our once great club.A manager was appointed who was regarded as one of the brightest and promising by many in the scottish league.The task ahead for him was huge...form a team that could compete and hopefully get promotion from league one.The task was bigger than he thought,as he said early in this season (and remarked on by Charlie recently) he didn't even have enough players for a five a side game at one point.

Fast forward to the start of the season....After the complications of having to get rid of high earning players before getting other players in, we had the framework of a team supplemented with a sprinkling of promising youngsters and a few loanees.Over 31,000 fans turned up for the first game of the season and were impressed by a team that would die for the shirt and proved it by grabbing a 2-1 victory in the dying moments of the game.A winning mentality was installed in the team and after the 3rd game of the season we have never been lower than 4th in the league, always in with a chance of promotion.A few spanners have been thrown into the works along the way,(most notably our top scorer leaving half way through the season to "further" his career on a bench in France for more money)but the team has persevered and even made it to a cup final at  Wembley whilst pushing for promotion.Looking at the state of the club/team at the start of the season I would have snapped you hands off if you had offered a chance of promotion in the play offs and a final at Wembley.

I realise things could have been better,indeed could still end up better and I fail to see why many of our fans still rejoice in the negatives more than the positives...maybe it's ingrained in them after the hopelessness of the last two seasons?You can look at things either way.....be negative and moan about not getting automatic promotion or be positive and be thankful we have managed to build a team from scratch that is able to compete and still have a chance of  promotion alongside  teams that have been together years,teams that have taken years to form a team capable of challenging for promotion when at the start of the season we didn't have enough players for a team! 

I still believe we can get promotion via the play offs...yes it's a bit of a lottery and the hard way to get there but it's the Sunderland way,we never appear to do anything easily do we?
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

thoughts Empty Re: thoughts

Post  Silvers on 2019-04-28, 8:44 am

Yes it is disappointing.

As you say we have come a long way.
We have been hsrd to beat.

Only 3 defeats up to now.
If we fail to get promotion via the play offs then next season we can do better with the  benefit of this sasom's experiences.
Plus the play offs give a bit of extra revenue too.
Silvers
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-04-28, 9:57 am

Well written OBC.

Regardless of the final outcome, one thing for sure is that we'll be stronger for the better from the mistakes made this season to build on for the next.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2019-04-28, 10:05 am

Great post OBC  - 100% agree
Jerry the Jinx
Jerry the Jinx
Admin & Predictor Queen
Admin & Predictor Queen

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-28, 10:19 am

Go to the top of the class OBC and give the pencils out.

I can easily count on one hand the times I have left a game with the feeling of disappointment, cant remember coming away angry.

I still think we will go up but hand on heart, if we dont I wont be that bothered because I am loving everything about the match day experience, been a few seasons since I could say that.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-04-28, 12:44 pm

Excellent post OBC and personally I think it is jolly decent of SAFC of giving everyone the chance of another cheap weekend in Laandaan. Always thinking of the fans. Very Happy
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-04-29, 12:45 am

Get's my vote. We were always going to be up against it with a comparatively new team and manager and we are not out of the running yet. Disappointing certainly, but not a tragedy.  We were always the team to beat and to some a draw was seen as a victory.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2019-04-29, 8:56 pm

Great post OBC, my feelings too!  like love sunderland
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2019-04-30, 12:02 am

Well, when I reflect on this season, the stark fact is that we are finishing in our lowest EVER position in the football league.   
Shocked

But as I have said more than once, I did expect yet another relegation fight.
So the fact that the club halted the swan dive is a remarkable achievement in itself.

Investment is a biggie.
Just look at Bolton. They got promoted in 2017 to the Championship.
No investment available and they are tumbling down again ... but hopefully not out of business.

Another interesting close season beckons...
Silvers
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-04-30, 3:44 am

High finance and profit and loss are beyond me. What I do know however is that football lives or dies via committed investment.  We seem to be financially healthy at the moment but whichever way the season pans out I feel we need more quality in the side to keep us going forward so our owners have to commit in all ways as time is not on our side for standing still or inching forward. 

The supporters have shown their commitment so something from them is needed before people stop laying their money out.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-04-30, 5:39 am

Nostalgic wrote:High finance and profit and loss are beyond me. What I do know however is that football lives or dies via committed investment.  We seem to be financially healthy at the moment but whichever way the season pans out I feel we need more quality in the side to keep us going forward so our owners have to commit in all ways as time is not on our side for standing still or inching forward. 

The supporters have shown their commitment so something from them is needed before people stop laying their money out.
Buying a genuine striker to replace the won we sold is the priority for me.

Now shoot me everyone  affraid

Ps. And DO NOT sell our keeper  I love you

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-30, 8:24 am

Nostalgic wrote:High finance and profit and loss are beyond me. What I do know however is that football lives or dies via committed investment.  We seem to be financially healthy at the moment but whichever way the season pans out I feel we need more quality in the side to keep us going forward so our owners have to commit in all ways as time is not on our side for standing still or inching forward. 

Already done in Donalds last podcast

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum