SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Fowler
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH EmptyYesterday at 9:03 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Congratulations H
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH EmptyYesterday at 5:08 pm by gil t azell

» Dave
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH EmptyYesterday at 10:36 am by gil t azell

» Predictions Week 15
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-15, 8:57 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Ross
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-15, 5:06 pm by cyprussyd

» Appoint a decent manager
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-14, 7:26 pm by Steve30000

» Well thats it for me, after last night
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-14, 1:20 pm by Kipper

» Donald on radio tonight
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-14, 10:18 am by wanderer

» The excitement builds
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-13, 8:57 am by cyprussyd

» for whats its worth
SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty2019-11-12, 8:16 pm by Hieronymus

SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-23, 11:23 am

Well the big game just got bigger, we cant control what happens in other games but we must control what happens at the stadium on Saturday.

Whatever the future holds its vital IMO that the manager, players and FANS stick together in a positive mood.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that Ross and the players will be fully committed to get three points and the very least that will bring is a feel good factor. It also continues the momentum.

A draw against a good Peterborough side is in normal times a good result, of course we are not in normal times, bloody BREXIT.

Team selection and formation will be interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH Empty Re: SUNDERLAND V PORTSMOUTH

Post  barrowmackem on 2019-04-23, 11:35 am

we are down to a must win scenario now for this game. Drop points and its the playoffs. But I think we will win this game. Not beaten Pompy for something like 12 games so now is the time to put that right. 31,000 sold so far not including away support.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-23, 11:47 am

barrowmackem wrote:we are down to a must win scenario now for this game. Drop points and its the playoffs. But I think we will win this game. Not beaten Pompy for something like 12 games so now is the time to put that right. 31,000 sold so far not including away support.
Could well hit 40K

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-04-23, 12:07 pm

"Must win game" is a cliche that has never been more true and such a common occurrence for SAFC. I don't care how we get the win but we must get it.
But I have just been reminded we have friends coming to stay on Friday to Sunday affraid They are not staying with us as we have no room these days, but at a hotel nearby. I am working out how to politely escape for a couple of hours Saturday afternoon to listen to the match and do Chatbox tongue

It's complicated by our son's flat purchase completion having been delayed a month so we are also off to Cheltenham on Sunday morning to help him move - abandoning our friends to their own devices - and daughter to manage getting two kids to school for three days on her own. Imagine looking forward to helping someone move house, as it will feel like a rest! Laughing
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-04-23, 8:26 pm

I will be there (after a few gargles obviously) and fully expect us to win.

I am hoping Blackpool can do us a favour.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2019-04-23, 9:53 pm

Like i said anyone can drop points, Luton have done it tonight, who would have thought that. KTF

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-23, 10:54 pm

barrowmackem wrote:Like i said anyone can drop points, Luton have done it tonight, who would have thought that. KTF
And Doncaster result opens the door for Peterborough who Pompy have to play

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-04-24, 9:06 am

It seems Portsmouth have been quite lucky these past 2 games, time for their luck to change?

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2019-04-24, 9:09 am

cyprussyd wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:Like i said anyone can drop points, Luton have done it tonight, who would have thought that. KTF
And Doncaster result opens the door for Peterborough who Pompy have to play

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-24, 9:29 am

I honestly believe that everyone, and there are many, who have written us off for automatic promotion have been far to hasty.

Right now my only focus, and I have no doubt the manager and players only focus, is beating Portsmouth and I hand on heart, no rose tinted glasses think we will beat them.

The team have worked their collective socks off this season for one thing, promotion.
They know what we know, lose or even draw on Saturday and the play off's is then an almost certainty, that I believe will give the extra motivation needed and remember it took a penalty miss for us to lose last time we met so we know we can beat them over 90 minutes with that extra push and always needed piece of luck.

For what its worth I see us winning and winning again on Tuesday and I see Barnsley dropping points, it will all go to the final nerve racking excruciating final game.

But if I am wrong we know we are guaranteed the play off's and I see know reason, well apart from coronary failure, why we should fear them.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-04-25, 6:39 pm

I am becoming more and more confident about this game and automatic promotion. Pressure on both SAFC & Pompey to get the win so I think in an entertaining 100 mph similar to a cup game will ensue. I also fancy a high scoring game and a reverse of the Coventry game whereupon we win 5-4.

I expect Barnsley to slip up in at least one of their games.

What I do fear is Bartons Fleetwood kicking lumps out of us.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-25, 6:40 pm

Ahead of Saturday's Stadium of Light showdown against Portsmouth, read Charlie Methven's programme notes...
So here we are – a year after we agreed the deal to buy SAFC from Ellis Short, and nine months after that famous first game against Charlton, it’s the last home match of the season.
And what a match it is.
Two teams who have been up around the top of the table all season and still have realistic hopes of promotion. Two clubs with immense, passionate support, as we saw on that memorable day in the Wembley sunshine.
Looking at early ticket returns, the match should see a crowd of around 40,000 in the Stadium of Light, a number that will probably only be bettered at Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham’s home games.
That is the size of the occasion, and it is truly a privilege to be a part of it. I hope that you feel that way too, and feel that matches at the SoL are again starting to feel like real sporting occasions and a great day out.
For the home game against Doncaster on Good Friday, we had the Beacon of Light and the Fanzone operating at full blast before the game. Hours of activities for children and adults, and both were packed out.
Inside the stadium, the continuing programme of improvements to the Roker End are starting to bear fruit, which is a real credit to the volunteer fans and the club staff who have made that happen. I thought that the atmosphere was the best we have seen all season – it’s a world away from what I saw when I came to the last home game of last season against Wolves.
The truth is that the success of a football club is not just about results on the pitch. It is about spirit, togetherness, fun and a sense of direction. Anybody who doesn’t believe me only has to look at today’s opponents.
Just ten years ago, Pompey were FA Cup holders. But it was false success, built on sand. As a result, the club crashed soon after and descended the divisions with unseemly haste. If you believe in the premise that the only thing that matters is league status and wins on the pitch then what happened next must seem bizarre.
The fans bought the club out of administration, turned it back into a proper club, re-found their mojo and started attending in even bigger numbers than they had in the Premier League. I went to Fratton several times in that period and whilst the team was, let’s be kind, a League Two work in progress, the atmosphere was unbelievable. The fans had their club back.
That is the same goal that we have been trying to achieve this season at Sunderland: to restore a sense of shared ownership; unity; joyfulness; a lack of cynicism. And so it follows that I hope that today will be seen as a celebration of two clubs who have re-found themselves in adversity and who now have a better sense of who they are than in the days when they were rich men’s playthings.
That said, I passionately hope that we will turn our opponents over today. So Ha’Way The Lads, for what I hope will be the last home programme notes this season.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2019-04-26, 2:10 am

And Doncaster are away to oxford this weekend and oxford are the top performing team in the league over the past few games. So Peterborough need to win their remaining games and may just scrape in to the playoffs.
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-04-26, 8:47 am

Great words from Charlie there. Whatever happens in next three games we just have to look back to this time last year to see how far we have come. Let's hope we can get over that finish line and win promotion by hook or by crook Very Happy
love sunderland
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-26, 12:42 pm

With 24 hours to go its pick your team time.

Mine would be..

MCLAUGHLIN
ONIEN  OZTURK  DUNNE  OVIEDO
CATTERMOLE  LEADBITTER
MORGAN  HONEYMAN  MCGEADY
WYKE

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-04-26, 5:24 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Great words from Charlie there. Whatever happens in next three games we just have to look back to this time last year to see how far we have come. Let's hope we can get over that finish line and win promotion by hook or by crook Very Happy
love sunderland
Yup. Thats all that matters now. 

My heart is currently ruling my head and thinking Barnsley will slip up and we will take advantage.

PS, I think Charlie is willing to risk another Trafalgar Square booze up and take our chances at Wembley again.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-26, 6:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-04-27, 8:03 am

gil t azell wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:Great words from Charlie there. Whatever happens in next three games we just have to look back to this time last year to see how far we have come. Let's hope we can get over that finish line and win promotion by hook or by crook Very Happy
love sunderland
Yup. Thats all that matters now. 

My heart is currently ruling my head and thinking Barnsley will slip up and we will take advantage.

PS, I think Charlie is willing to risk another Trafalgar Square booze up and take our chances at Wembley again.

Love it Gil  geek

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-04-27, 3:02 pm

CHATBOX is OPEN - Come and join in the chat Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  trouble_n_stripes on 2019-04-27, 5:29 pm

Well if by some minor miracle wins are to be had against Fleetwood and Southend by 6-7 goal margins
and either/both Luton and Barnsley lose their last game we have a chance.

Being realistic it's playoffs now, I am hoping 3rd place so it's sets up a two legged game with Donny.

That's all I can hope for.
trouble_n_stripes
trouble_n_stripes
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-04-27, 5:50 pm

If we win both our remaining games by 3 goal margins, Portsmouth win only one of theirs and Barnsley lose their last game by 2 goals then we are promoted! Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-04-27, 5:57 pm

I'll have a pint of whatever you are on..

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-27, 7:06 pm

A very enjoyable game IMO and a draw was a fair result. Both sides had chances but could not take them and it was a blood and guts no holding back game from both sides.

I was relaxed before the game and I am still  relaxed and accept its the play offs so one more home game for me to enjoy.

Today more than any other was a fine example of why live football is the only way. When I listen on the radio I get the game second hand but miss what we enjoyed today.

Before kick off a emotional parade for me being from a pit village with a lap of the pitch with long gone pits remembered in a banner procession with brass band accompaniment.

Then we had the now famous flag display in the new Roker end, a display that is spreading with fans now bringing their own flags.

Then my favorite bit, the new half time challenge, sadly missed by all who must have their half time pint but enjoyed by all who stay to watch, tears stream down my face.

So yes its always a disappointment when we dont win but, still in there with all to play for, the play offs will give me an extra home game, an away game to enjoy and if I feel like it a possible Wembley trip.

I heard a smattering of you are shit today, always happens when we get a 33,000 plus crowd, 41.5 today but we are not shit, we are a group of players who are not world class but who give their all.

BTW, everyone around me and all on the bus home also enjoyed the day and being a none drinker I cant even blame alcohol for my great mood.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-04-27, 7:15 pm

cyprussyd wrote:A very enjoyable game IMO and a draw was a fair result. Both sides had chances but could not take them and it was a blood and guts no holding back game from both sides.

I was relaxed before the game and I am still  relaxed and accept its the play offs so one more home game for me to enjoy.

Today more than any other was a fine example of why live football is the only way. When I listen on the radio I get the game second hand but miss what we enjoyed today.

Before kick off a emotional parade for me being from a pit village with a lap of the pitch with long gone pits remembered in a banner procession with brass band accompaniment.

Then we had the now famous flag display in the new Roker end, a display that is spreading with fans now bringing their own flags.

Then my favorite bit, the new half time challenge, sadly missed by all who must have their half time pint but enjoyed by all who stay to watch, tears stream down my face.

So yes its always a disappointment when we dont win but, still in there with all to play for, the play offs will give me an extra home game, an away game to enjoy and if I feel like it a possible Wembley trip.

I heard a smattering of you are shit today, always happens when we get a 33,000 plus crowd, 41.5 today but we are not shit, we are a group of players who are not world class but who give their all.

BTW, everyone around me and all on the bus home also enjoyed the day and being a none drinker I cant even blame alcohol for my great mood.

I enjoyed it as well but rather than thinking a draw was a fair result. I think we deserved to win.
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-04-27, 7:22 pm

Kipper wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:A very enjoyable game IMO and a draw was a fair result. Both sides had chances but could not take them and it was a blood and guts no holding back game from both sides.

I enjoyed it as well but rather than thinking a draw was a fair result. I think we deserved to win.
I certainly dont think anyone could have any complaints if we had won. Still can see no reason for thinking we wont go up, play offs or not.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: