SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Something is dodgy
Today at 12:46 pm by canary-dave

» I agree with this
Today at 12:18 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Week 32
Today at 10:20 am by Derro Jimmy

» Match Day Thread
Today at 6:31 am by cyprussyd

» Tickets
Yesterday at 9:17 pm by vinkel

» Close to home
Yesterday at 8:39 pm by gil t azell

» John Bercow
Yesterday at 8:36 pm by gil t azell

» News: Club legend reveals how he almost became Sunderland manager during failed takeover bid
Yesterday at 2:17 pm by MrRAWhite

» Cup Final Info
Yesterday at 8:57 am by Kipper

» Happy Birthday Gil
2019-03-20, 10:15 pm by MrRAWhite

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Paul Scholes

Go down

Paul Scholes

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-14, 5:36 pm

Paul Scholes: Former Manchester United and England midfielder leaves role as Oldham Athletic manager

Former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Scholes has left his role as Oldham Athletic manager after just 31 days.
The 44-year-old took over on 11 February and was in charge for just seven games, winning only one.
Scholes said in a statement that he had taken the decision with "great regret".
"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role," he continued.
Scholes took over with the Latics 14th in the table, nine points off the play-offs, and leaves with them in the same position.
He began his reign with a 4-1 win over Yeovil Town, but three draws and two defeats followed prior to his final match, a 2-0 defeat by league leaders Lincoln City on Tuesday.
"I hoped to at the very least, see out my initial term of 18 months as the manager of a club I've supported all my life," he said.
"The fans, players, my friends and family all knew how proud and excited I was to take this role.
"I wish the fans, the players and the staff - who have been tremendous - all the best for the rest of the season and will continue to watch and support the club as a fan."
Scholes made 718 appearances for Manchester United, including 499 in the Premier League, and scored 155 goals in all competitions.
He initially announced his retirement at the end of the 2010-11 season, but made a comeback at the start of 2012 before finally calling time on his career having won 11 Premier League titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups, five Community Shields and two Champions Leagues.
He also played 66 times for England, retiring after Euro 2004 to focus on his club career.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Paul Scholes

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-03-14, 6:07 pm

Wonder what he means by  not being "able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role"?

He took over after the transfer window closed so surely knew what players he had and that he was not getting any more!
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-03-14, 6:48 pm

Interesting.  Scholes is a strong character and not one that gives up easily so I am not sure what the significance of his claims in the statement really are. My speculation is that interference higher up or his health could be at the back of it.

I hope we hear more about about this soon.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-14, 6:53 pm

His situation became untenable' - Analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone
There were plenty, privately as well as publicly, who told Scholes that cutting his managerial teeth at Oldham was a bad idea.
But, such was his long-held desire to manage his hometown club, he ignored them all.
As he has proved so regularly as a pundit, Scholes is a straight talker. He is also decisive.
It was always the case he would resist any outside interference, which is a claim that has been levelled at Oldham owner Abdallah Lemsagam on more than one occasion, and in the end, the former Manchester United midfielder's status became untenable.
To many, it will not come as a surprise. To others, there will be a sense of satisfaction given how brutal Scholes has been at dishing out criticism from the comfort of the pundit's chair.
Yet there is sadness too - sadness that Scholes couldn't make his dream job work, and sadness that one of those most gifted players of his generation should find himself on the outside again when surely, there is a role for him inside.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-03-14, 10:56 pm

cyprussyd wrote:

His situation became untenable' - Analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone
There were plenty, privately as well as publicly, who told Scholes that cutting his managerial teeth at Oldham was a bad idea.
But, such was his long-held desire to manage his hometown club, he ignored them all.
As he has proved so regularly as a pundit, Scholes is a straight talker. He is also decisive.
It was always the case he would resist any outside interference, which is a claim that has been levelled at Oldham owner Abdallah Lemsagam on more than one occasion, and in the end, the former Manchester United midfielder's status became untenable.
To many, it will not come as a surprise. To others, there will be a sense of satisfaction given how brutal Scholes has been at dishing out criticism from the comfort of the pundit's chair.
Yet there is sadness too - sadness that Scholes couldn't make his dream job work, and sadness that one of those most gifted players of his generation should find himself on the outside again when surely, there is a role for him inside.
I read that earlier and opined he knew what he was taking on with the owner. Just didn't think it would bother him that much.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-03-15, 1:00 am

Back to Salford then  Rolling Eyes

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-15, 10:13 am

To put it mildly I’m not overly fond of Scholes despite him having been a brilliant player.

Having said that he’s well out of there,  the reports in the local paper don’t reflect well on the owner.  It appears the interference was the main reason he left but ‘little’ things like the team bus not turning up for an away to Bury because of unpaid bills and bailiffs turning off the gas so the players had to wash their own shirts seemed to upset him. 

I have little knowledge of Oldham but it certainly appears it’s another disaster in the making because of a t### owner.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-15, 10:28 am

Sid MCFC wrote:To put it mildly I’m not overly fond of Scholes despite him having been a brilliant player.

Having said that he’s well out of there,  the reports in the local paper don’t reflect well on the owner.  It appears the interference was the main reason he left but ‘little’ things like the team bus not turning up for an away to Bury because of unpaid bills and bailiffs turning off the gas so the players had to wash their own shirts seemed to upset him. 

I have little knowledge of Oldham but it certainly appears it’s another disaster in the making because of a t### owner.
Is it because he is ginger?

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2019-03-15, 10:30 am

. . . . and/or (nearly) bald ?

I hope so  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-15, 10:31 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:To put it mildly I’m not overly fond of Scholes despite him having been a brilliant player.

I didn’t want to say that but yes I suspect so.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-15, 10:39 am

Sid MCFC wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

We have just about stamped out racism, homophobia and sexism in football, the next big challenge is gingerisim, a particular problem at Man City, I have heard the chant..

"Get out of our club, get out of our club, the big ginger bastard get out of our club".

Have you ever wondered why Pep shaves his head?

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-15, 10:46 am

Paul Scholes offered job at Man Utd by Solskjaer after quitting as Oldham boss

Old Trafford legend walked out of his job at Boundary Park after just 31 days and seven games yesterday

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-15, 10:48 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

We have just about stamped out racism, homophobia and sexism in football, the next big challenge is gingerisim, a particular problem at Man City, I have heard the chant..

"Get out of our club, get out of our club, the big ginger bastard get out of our club".

Have you ever wondered why Pep shaves his head?
Oi. Pep is not ginger!!!!!  

And may I mention a chap who is rather liked at City.  Kevin De Bruyne.  I love people with slightly gingered hair.  More strawberry blond tbh.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-15, 10:50 am

cyprussyd wrote:Paul Scholes offered job at Man Utd by Solskjaer after quitting as Oldham boss

Old Trafford legend walked out of his job at Boundary Park after just 31 days and seven games yesterday
Great news.  Bring back Giggsey as well.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-03-15, 8:15 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Paul Scholes offered job at Man Utd by Solskjaer after quitting as Oldham boss

Great news.  Bring back Giggsey as well.
Get in there Giggsey ...Son  lol!

Ps. Does he still have shares in 'Boots"  Rolling Eyes

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum