SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» For Dave - Gary Hooper
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyToday at 6:36 am by canary-dave

» Wycombe Wanderers v Sunderland AFC
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyToday at 6:11 am by oldblackcat

» Parky it is then
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:41 am by Panther

» Predictions week 12
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Strong rumours
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 4:02 pm by paddocklad

» Picture
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:10 pm by Vincemac

» A very happy birthday!
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 11:43 am by Argus

» Tranmere Game and Oxfordshire Visit
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:58 am by Hieronymus

» joke
SunderMad to close - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 7:41 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» One thing that pissed me off about Ross
SunderMad to close - Page 2 Empty2019-10-17, 7:01 pm by gil t azell

SunderMad to close

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SunderMad to close - Page 2 Empty Re: SunderMad to close

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-03-11, 10:30 am

Kipper wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Let me try and answer a few questions and explain my problem. your heartfelt requests to keep the forum open have not gone unnoticed.

First concerns about cost and time, neither are a problem. The hosts are fantastic, all I have eve had to pay for are a cost to keep adverts off for members and an annual cost to keep our domain name, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was then offered the chance to move onto premium membership and now pay a monthly subscription of £4.60 and thats it, that covers all costs so its no problem whatsoever. 

In the early days the forum took a lot of my time because I had no idea what I was doing so tended to do most things many times before I learnt, for instance I contacted Sky to ask if I could put the Sky link on and they said yes, here is the widget code, I had no idea what a widget was or what to do with the code but I got there. Now the forum runs itself, we have a few mods but have never needed them.

The problem is me and me alone.

Sunderemad was started as the original members know because of our time on not606, I was super mod and everyday was spent being abused off the idiots from whatever forum had trouble that day, I was playing with forming a forum, a Newcastle fan found out and told the world about it so SunderMad became life before it should have and many joined.

Since then many have come and gone and we are left with a small group of active members who have become friends but the mix of respect for one another and lively debate has never been found and one by one good posters have given up and I understand why. The forum is just to tame for many and members who said they hated not606 for the bad bits joined us here, posted rarely then left.

I stopped worrying long ago about people leaving or the size of active members but, and its the but that got me in the end. The main reason for SunderMad is our shared passion for Sunderland and this season for me has been full of excitement with new owners, doing well in the league and now a trip to a final and its sharing that excitement that has frustrated me and in the end broken me. I am well aware of peoples busy lives but our last game saw next to nothing on match day with two of us on chatbox, me and H.

I'm not asking for people to come on to keep the forum going but because we have a very small group of active posters the forum, for me, suffers, its not the present membership being more active that is the problem its getting more active members and we cant. People join, post, wait days for a reply, give up and leave.

More and more of my match days are spent away from the forum, like others I have all but given up. But we do have many active members, 2862 on Twitter who follow our SundaMad page and comment a lot. I personally need the buzz of match day and the buzz of being a Sunderland fan, I get it on Twitter.

Like on SunderMad people are busy, work and are not all active but you dont miss them when they are one of 2,862, there is always someone to share the good and bad with. Over time I have quietly removed the idiots who follow on Twitter so the abuse people associate with Twitter is not there. I follow Stewart Donald and all the local jouros so tend to get up to date info, it all makes me feel a part of the club and its that feeling I hoped to get here on SunerMad.

So we are left with a very small band of friends, friends who mean the world to me, many I now know personally but others I have never met but who I still care for. But what do I do because the basis of the Forum is Sunderland.

So my decision to close the forum is purely frustration, we tried and we have been trying for nearly 7 years but in the end, as a football forum we have failed.

Vinkles response for me says it all, no pain, upset or even disappointment and I am not blaming him for that, he is in the majority.

I dont know the answer TBH and maybe Sundermad should stay and I go, I honestly dont know but when you get more pain than pleasure staying the same is no longer an option.

You're searching for an impossible dream Syd. Whilst it would be great to have more posters, a large forum only attracts a higher percentage of idiots which most of us came on here to get away from. This forum fills a gap in the market for those who don't want to get into the abusive nature of other forums. Whilst I do think there could be more debate and analysis here, if you take away all the crap from a larger forum, what are you left with? - a forum the size of Sundermad.

I think you're also performing a social service for a few on here so there would be a hole in more ways than one if it were not there.

I'll try to do an analogy here - a night out with a ton of people from work going on a bender is all well and good - lots of different people, lively atmosphere etc - it has its place, but many would just prefer a few quiet drinks with friends. Are you getting my point?
Spot on Kipper! Smile
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-03-11, 10:35 am

cyprussyd wrote:OK, it stays open

Thanks for listening. You made the right call because you're a quality bloke.
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2019-03-11, 10:35 am

Bollocks Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gordon Armstrong
Gordon Armstrong
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-03-11, 10:39 am

Thank you my dear friend xx kiss

But I think we have all got the message that most of us can make a bit more effort to contribute. Even with busy lives we all say we read every day so let's all try to post every day too - even just to say hello! Smile

I will open Chatbox tomorrow evening for any ex-pats and far away people who cannot follow the game, and of course any locals who just want to shout and scream when we score! I listen to radio and provide updates - very badly typed usually  Razz - but it is nice to link up with those who cannot get our games any more. Just log in and chat!
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-03-11, 11:09 am

Syd, in as manly a way as possible, I love you xx Embarassed

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 11:13 am

Gordon Armstrong wrote:Bollocks Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
keep your grubby hands off my bollocks
see you behind the bike shed at 6, no gloves

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lever Malone on 2019-03-11, 12:02 pm

I agree with what Hieronymus said so HELLO!!

Seriously though I am pleased the site will stay open. I know syd you get a bit down about the number of people that have left but really it is quality we are after rather than quantity. And look at the quality we have here now well there's me and..... and.... and.... 

Over the years many of us have come to depend on Sundermad for news about the club we all hold dear to our hearts and for the reasoned debate and, yes, even the unreasoned debate and I hope that remains for many years to come.
Lever Malone
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2019-03-11, 12:24 pm

Well I'm glad you've reconsidered and I'm genuinely delighted that this forum will continue.

I'm probably the type of member who gave you cause to lose faith with my minimum contribution, but unfortunately that's simply how things work out for me, however that does not mean I don't appreciate the effort involved in keeping the forum ticking over.

I don't think a day goes by without at least one visit to this forum because I know the posters are generally interesting, quite knowledgeable yet inoffensive, a bit of a rarity in these days of social media outbursts. I suppose that having met a few of the forum members several years ago at a Xmas party also gives me a personal connection and a sense of belonging, which I consider important.

Keep going Syd, you know it makes sense!!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-11, 3:22 pm

Well done Syd.

Your post about the reasons you fell the forum had run it’s course was both moving and understandable but I’m very glad you have changed your mind.

I usually describe myself as a guest on here but sod that I’ve decided I’m one of you whether you like it or not!!!
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 3:25 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:
Well done Syd.

Your post about the reasons you fell the forum had run it’s course was both moving and understandable but I’m very glad you have changed your mind.

I usually describe myself as a guest on here but sod that I’ve decided I’m one of you whether you like it or not!!!
Never refer to yourself as a guest or you will have to share a room with canarydave on our night out. When his snoring stops, brace yourself

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-03-11, 3:27 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:
Well done Syd.

Wait until you've met a few and see if you still want to be one of us 

By the way, Syd is one of them  Embarassed

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-11, 3:29 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:
Well done Syd.

Never refer to yourself as a guest or you will have to share a room with canarydave on our night out. When his snoring stops, brace yourself
It’s Dave that would have to be worried, not me. pint    blow
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-11, 3:32 pm

canary-dave wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:
Well done Syd.

Everybody except me is one of them.
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 4:11 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:
canary-dave wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:
Well done Syd.

Everybody except me is one of them.
4 pints and a malt whiskey was enough to make Dave one of them. Mind he had no idea till the following morning

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-03-11, 6:48 pm

I concur with GA.

Just when you thought you had escaped Syd changes his bloody mind. Very Happy
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-03-11, 7:15 pm

I am glad to hear it will stay open - i only have about 10 posts but my son enjoyed his time at the match and we are planning to come back up later this month and if we can get tickets for the final match of the season we are planning to go as I am hoping to meet my cousins at it who are both lifelong fans but who live way down South so only get up now and again and as someone that hates any kind of confrontation (online or otherwise) it's nice to find somewhere decent to post Smile
fitz
fitz
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-03-11, 8:17 pm

Sometimes I lose you but wherever I might be, I ALWAYS attempt to log on so thank goodness you've seen the light. 
God Bless  like

Ps. Don't snob me next time on Chatbox  geek

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2019-03-12, 10:34 pm

G
Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:Life's tough at times for all, even those whom choose not to share their troubles. An abuse free zone in which to talk about SAFC is a godsend after years of heartache. Good times WILL return, hang in there Syd for all of us. 
As mentioned above don't do anything or should you feel you can't keep going, let's set up a 'Give a little page' to cover the costs as the alternative sites are not where I believe those on here wish to visit.

tea
Hear, hear!

I don't want to be selfish if Syd feels it is too much for him to keep up with his other responsibilities but this forum has kept me going this last very tough year for me and my family. It will break my heart to lose the friends I have made on here.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum