SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» would be funny
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 1:04 pm by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Coventry City
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 12:29 pm by canary-dave

» Tottenham have sacked manager Mauricio Pochettino
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 9:24 am by Sid MCFC

» Political debates
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 8:54 am by wanderer

» Cup replay
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 8:07 am by cyprussyd

» Appoint a decent manager
SunderMad to close EmptyToday at 6:06 am by Steve30000

» always makes me cry
SunderMad to close EmptyYesterday at 8:35 pm by cyprussyd

» What do i do?
SunderMad to close EmptyYesterday at 7:05 pm by Hieronymus

» Slow hands
SunderMad to close EmptyYesterday at 6:43 pm by wanderer

» Sunderland AFC's average attendance
SunderMad to close EmptyYesterday at 4:21 pm by Sid MCFC

SunderMad to close

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SunderMad to close Empty SunderMad to close

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-09, 6:54 pm

We have had a good run since getting together in 2012 and I thank everyone past and present who have contributed, especially those who still try and post and help keep the forum alive.

But facts are to be faced and the fact is that we are seeing a slow death with only a handful of active posters left. 

It is time to bring SunderMad to an end, not now but at the end of the season, hopefully we can go out with promotion and a cup win.

For someone like me who cant shut up it will be hard, I had a look on not606 today and remembered the many good times and good posters on there but its no longer for me so it looks like Twitter for now but maybe the time has come for me to slow down on social media.

Anyway, I have been putting off this day but seeing posters leave and the forum slowly die tells me its time.

I wont be shutting up for a few months yet.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

SunderMad to close Empty Re: SunderMad to close

Post  Nostalgic on 2019-03-09, 7:24 pm

Sorry to read that Syd and I feared it was the case but even your valiant efforts could not save us from a death by a thousand cuts and the general malaise that attacked our enthusiasm for all things SAFC.

The club's rapid drop out of the top leagues deflated so many of us that much of our enthusiasm waned and we have all been around the block too many times to see us back soon. 

I will save further comments for nearer the time, but once again thank you for giving us a sensible site that has given me a lot of pleasure.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-03-09, 7:32 pm

An enourmous shame
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-03-09, 7:50 pm

I feel like I am being divorced  Sad

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2019-03-09, 8:34 pm

Gutted.

I like this little friendly group on here.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-03-09, 9:00 pm

Good-bye-ee! good-bye-ee!
Wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee.
Tho' it's hard to part I know,
I'll be tickled to death to go.
Don't cry-ee! don't sigh-ee!
There's a silver lining in the sky-ee.
Bonsoir old thing, cheerio! chin chin!
Nah-poo! Toodle-oo!
Good-bye-ee

Been coming a while, sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-03-09, 9:45 pm

Do nothing in haste...

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2019-03-09, 10:34 pm

cyprussyd wrote:We have had a good run since getting together in 2012 and I thank everyone past and present who have contributed, especially those who still try and post and help keep the forum alive.

But facts are to be faced and the fact is that we are seeing a slow death with only a handful of active posters left. 

It is time to bring SunderMad to an end, not now but at the end of the season, hopefully we can go out with promotion and a cup win.

For someone like me who cant shut up it will be hard, I had a look on not606 today and remembered the many good times and good posters on there but its no longer for me so it looks like Twitter for now but maybe the time has come for me to slow down on social media.

Anyway, I have been putting off this day but seeing posters leave and the forum slowly die tells me its time.

I wont be shutting up for a few months yet.
What you on about you old fart ( mate)
Get agrip we are all still. Here to chow the fat
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2019-03-09, 11:32 pm

Life's tough at times for all, even those whom choose not to share their troubles. An abuse free zone in which to talk about SAFC is a godsend after years of heartache. Good times WILL return, hang in there Syd for all of us. 
As mentioned above don't do anything or should you feel you can't keep going, let's set up a 'Give a little page' to cover the costs as the alternative sites are not where I believe those on here wish to visit.

tea

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-03-09, 11:50 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:Life's tough at times for all, even those whom choose not to share their troubles. An abuse free zone in which to talk about SAFC is a godsend after years of heartache. Good times WILL return, hang in there Syd for all of us. 
As mentioned above don't do anything or should you feel you can't keep going, let's set up a 'Give a little page' to cover the costs as the alternative sites are not where I believe those on here wish to visit.

tea
Hear, hear!

I don't want to be selfish if Syd feels it is too much for him to keep up with his other responsibilities but this forum has kept me going this last very tough year for me and my family. It will break my heart to lose the friends I have made on here.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  fitz on 2019-03-10, 12:31 am

sorry to hear that (I only just joined Smile ) - i know its hard to keep forums going when everything seems to get drawn into facebook and the like
fitz
fitz
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2019-03-10, 9:41 am

Please reconsider your decision....consult VAR...whatever....this is the only forum I visit and have time for...wouldn't be a big miss...
would be a MASSIVE miss
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2019-03-10, 1:22 pm

That’s very sad news.  As a guest on here I’ve always had a warm welcome and visit the forum most days.  You’re a very nice group of people and it’s not a nice thought knowing I’ll be losing contact. Crying or Very sad
Sid MCFC
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2019-03-10, 3:14 pm

Aw Syd, so sorry you've had to make this decision. Know it won't have been easy for you
Not having the forum doesn't mean not having the friends
Met far too many good people from here for that to happen
Jerry the Jinx
Jerry the Jinx
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2019-03-10, 11:05 pm

Can only echo what's been said. But I respect your decision Syd. Sad

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2019-03-11, 12:10 am

Devastated Syd. What do we all need to do to keep the forum going?
oxfordshire
oxfordshire
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 6:55 am

Let me try and answer a few questions and explain my problem. your heartfelt requests to keep the forum open have not gone unnoticed.

First concerns about cost and time, neither are a problem. The hosts are fantastic, all I have eve had to pay for are a cost to keep adverts off for members and an annual cost to keep our domain name, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was then offered the chance to move onto premium membership and now pay a monthly subscription of £4.60 and thats it, that covers all costs so its no problem whatsoever. 

In the early days the forum took a lot of my time because I had no idea what I was doing so tended to do most things many times before I learnt, for instance I contacted Sky to ask if I could put the Sky link on and they said yes, here is the widget code, I had no idea what a widget was or what to do with the code but I got there. Now the forum runs itself, we have a few mods but have never needed them.

The problem is me and me alone.

Sunderemad was started as the original members know because of our time on not606, I was super mod and everyday was spent being abused off the idiots from whatever forum had trouble that day, I was playing with forming a forum, a Newcastle fan found out and told the world about it so SunderMad became life before it should have and many joined.

Since then many have come and gone and we are left with a small group of active members who have become friends but the mix of respect for one another and lively debate has never been found and one by one good posters have given up and I understand why. The forum is just to tame for many and members who said they hated not606 for the bad bits joined us here, posted rarely then left.

I stopped worrying long ago about people leaving or the size of active members but, and its the but that got me in the end. The main reason for SunderMad is our shared passion for Sunderland and this season for me has been full of excitement with new owners, doing well in the league and now a trip to a final and its sharing that excitement that has frustrated me and in the end broken me. I am well aware of peoples busy lives but our last game saw next to nothing on match day with two of us on chatbox, me and H.

I'm not asking for people to come on to keep the forum going but because we have a very small group of active posters the forum, for me, suffers, its not the present membership being more active that is the problem its getting more active members and we cant. People join, post, wait days for a reply, give up and leave.

More and more of my match days are spent away from the forum, like others I have all but given up. But we do have many active members, 2862 on Twitter who follow our SundaMad page and comment a lot. I personally need the buzz of match day and the buzz of being a Sunderland fan, I get it on Twitter.

Like on SunderMad people are busy, work and are not all active but you dont miss them when they are one of 2,862, there is always someone to share the good and bad with. Over time I have quietly removed the idiots who follow on Twitter so the abuse people associate with Twitter is not there. I follow Stewart Donald and all the local jouros so tend to get up to date info, it all makes me feel a part of the club and its that feeling I hoped to get here on SunerMad.

So we are left with a very small band of friends, friends who mean the world to me, many I now know personally but others I have never met but who I still care for. But what do I do because the basis of the Forum is Sunderland.

So my decision to close the forum is purely frustration, we tried and we have been trying for nearly 7 years but in the end, as a football forum we have failed.

Vinkles response for me says it all, no pain, upset or even disappointment and I am not blaming him for that, he is in the majority.

I dont know the answer TBH and maybe Sundermad should stay and I go, I honestly dont know but when you get more pain than pleasure staying the same is no longer an option.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-03-11, 8:11 am

Your final paragraph is the biggest no from me  I love SunderMad and you are the biggest part of SunderMad so don't go anywhere  

If I win my current battle  I always enjoy my trip to Sunderland and meeting up with some really good friends  if SunderMad closes I will struggle to contact most of my Sunderland friends. 

Close if you must Syd but I truly wish you wouldn't.  like

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2019-03-11, 8:47 am

I can only say 
Can it not be as it is even though as you say not many  posters 
I only post occasionally but read almost every post
I don’t / can’t do twitter can’t understand the way to chat 
I post on here and not 606 
But I like to come on here there are great posters and I’m not realy bothered about weather any one else joined or not 
We have on here what we have out small group of friends like you say some I’ve met and some who post on here appear to be very sensible and educated (if that’s the right word )
People 
If the cost of running this forum is not a problem and you good time is available 
Can you not just let it be as it is with us lot chipping in with our comments when we want 
I DONT REALY KNOW MUCH ABOUT FOORUMS BUT I WILL MISS THIS AND ALL OUR POSTERS
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-03-11, 8:57 am

Vincemac wrote:I can only say 
But I like to come on here there are great posters and I’m not realy bothered about weather any one else joined or not 
We have on here what we have out small group of friends like you say some I’ve met and some who post on here appear to be very sensible and educated (if that’s the right word )
People 
If the cost of running this forum is not a problem and you good time is available 
Can you not just let it be as it is with us lot chipping in with our comments when we want 

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-03-11, 9:40 am

People 
You have said it all Vince - I don't read anywhere else for my Sunderland news as I do not have time and don't want to have to sift out the crap. Syd and his posts on any topic are what make my day, the responses of the few excellent posters on here are all I need to read. I have said it before, this forum is not only about football and Sunderland for me - and I suspect for many others. Maybe a little bit at first as that's where we came from on BBC606 and then NOT606, but it has developed into much more than that.

Losing my daily dose of Sundermad will be like the closing of a much loved and favourite local pub, the place you meet up with your friends and meet new acquaintances like fitz, who joined us recently, and Sid MCFC, one of our most respected posters, not necessarily talking about Sunderland, but about the links and shared memories that football creates. Look at Canary Dave - a man who has followed Sunderland ever since the 'friendly final' of 1983, where Sunderland and Norwich formed an unlikely but enduring bond.

I know everyone is different but reading and responding to 2862 people on Twitter would be my worst nightmare - I don't need that quick fix of immediate responses to get the buzz of match day, or the excitement of a Wembley final. Maybe we are as we are on Sundermad because the buzz for us is reflected in the opinions and chats of a few close and trusted friends. Which is everyone on Sundermad.

Please reconsider Syd, or hand over to me if you really feel unable to carry on, and I will keep it running somehow, as you say the cost is not relevant and I am happy to cover that.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-03-11, 9:52 am

cyprussyd wrote:Let me try and answer a few questions and explain my problem. your heartfelt requests to keep the forum open have not gone unnoticed.

First concerns about cost and time, neither are a problem. The hosts are fantastic, all I have eve had to pay for are a cost to keep adverts off for members and an annual cost to keep our domain name, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was then offered the chance to move onto premium membership and now pay a monthly subscription of £4.60 and thats it, that covers all costs so its no problem whatsoever. 

In the early days the forum took a lot of my time because I had no idea what I was doing so tended to do most things many times before I learnt, for instance I contacted Sky to ask if I could put the Sky link on and they said yes, here is the widget code, I had no idea what a widget was or what to do with the code but I got there. Now the forum runs itself, we have a few mods but have never needed them.

The problem is me and me alone.

Sunderemad was started as the original members know because of our time on not606, I was super mod and everyday was spent being abused off the idiots from whatever forum had trouble that day, I was playing with forming a forum, a Newcastle fan found out and told the world about it so SunderMad became life before it should have and many joined.

Since then many have come and gone and we are left with a small group of active members who have become friends but the mix of respect for one another and lively debate has never been found and one by one good posters have given up and I understand why. The forum is just to tame for many and members who said they hated not606 for the bad bits joined us here, posted rarely then left.

I stopped worrying long ago about people leaving or the size of active members but, and its the but that got me in the end. The main reason for SunderMad is our shared passion for Sunderland and this season for me has been full of excitement with new owners, doing well in the league and now a trip to a final and its sharing that excitement that has frustrated me and in the end broken me. I am well aware of peoples busy lives but our last game saw next to nothing on match day with two of us on chatbox, me and H.

I'm not asking for people to come on to keep the forum going but because we have a very small group of active posters the forum, for me, suffers, its not the present membership being more active that is the problem its getting more active members and we cant. People join, post, wait days for a reply, give up and leave.

More and more of my match days are spent away from the forum, like others I have all but given up. But we do have many active members, 2862 on Twitter who follow our SundaMad page and comment a lot. I personally need the buzz of match day and the buzz of being a Sunderland fan, I get it on Twitter.

Like on SunderMad people are busy, work and are not all active but you dont miss them when they are one of 2,862, there is always someone to share the good and bad with. Over time I have quietly removed the idiots who follow on Twitter so the abuse people associate with Twitter is not there. I follow Stewart Donald and all the local jouros so tend to get up to date info, it all makes me feel a part of the club and its that feeling I hoped to get here on SunerMad.

So we are left with a very small band of friends, friends who mean the world to me, many I now know personally but others I have never met but who I still care for. But what do I do because the basis of the Forum is Sunderland.

So my decision to close the forum is purely frustration, we tried and we have been trying for nearly 7 years but in the end, as a football forum we have failed.

Vinkles response for me says it all, no pain, upset or even disappointment and I am not blaming him for that, he is in the majority.

I dont know the answer TBH and maybe Sundermad should stay and I go, I honestly dont know but when you get more pain than pleasure staying the same is no longer an option.

You're searching for an impossible dream Syd. Whilst it would be great to have more posters, a large forum only attracts a higher percentage of idiots which most of us came on here to get away from. This forum fills a gap in the market for those who don't want to get into the abusive nature of other forums. Whilst I do think there could be more debate and analysis here, if you take away all the crap from a larger forum, what are you left with? - a forum the size of Sundermad.

I think you're also performing a social service for a few on here so there would be a hole in more ways than one if it were not there.

I'll try to do an analogy here - a night out with a ton of people from work going on a bender is all well and good - lots of different people, lively atmosphere etc - it has its place, but many would just prefer a few quiet drinks with friends. Are you getting my point?
Kipper
Kipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2019-03-11, 9:59 am

Hieronymus wrote:
People 
You have said it all Vince - I don't read anywhere else for my Sunderland news as I do not have time and don't want to have to sift out the crap. Syd and his posts on any topic are what make my day, the responses of the few excellent posters on here are all I need to read. I have said it before, this forum is not only about football and Sunderland for me - and I suspect for many others. Maybe a little bit at first as that's where we came from on BBC606 and then NOT606, but it has developed into much more than that.

Losing my daily dose of Sundermad will be like the closing of a much loved and favourite local pub, the place you meet up with your friends and meet new acquaintances like fitz, who joined us recently, and Sid MCFC, one of our most respected posters, not necessarily talking about Sunderland, but about the links and shared memories that football creates. Look at Canary Dave - a man who has followed Sunderland ever since the 'friendly final' of 1983, where Sunderland and Norwich formed an unlikely but enduring bond.

I know everyone is different but reading and responding to 2862 people on Twitter would be my worst nightmare - I don't need that quick fix of immediate responses to get the buzz of match day, or the excitement of a Wembley final. Maybe we are as we are on Sundermad because the buzz for us is reflected in the opinions and chats of a few close and trusted friends. Which is everyone on Sundermad.

Please reconsider Syd, or hand over to me if you really feel unable to carry on, and I will keep it running somehow, as you say the cost is not relevant and I am happy to cover that.
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-03-11, 10:03 am

OK, it stays open

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2019-03-11, 10:21 am

cyprussyd wrote:OK, it stays open
Yipeeee
Vincemac
Vincemac