SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers
Done deal EmptyToday at 9:55 am by canary-dave

» Tests, tests and more bloody tests!
Done deal EmptyToday at 9:51 am by canary-dave

» To those at the game tonight
Done deal EmptyToday at 9:27 am by wanderer

» A very good morning one and all
Done deal EmptyYesterday at 9:55 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very happy birthday!
Done deal EmptyYesterday at 10:54 am by fulwellend47

» Can't say I'm looking forward to Tuesday
Done deal EmptyYesterday at 9:25 am by Sid MCFC

» Predictions Mid week 12
Done deal EmptyYesterday at 7:58 am by Lever Malone

» Results week 12
Done deal Empty2019-10-21, 10:38 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions week 13
Done deal Empty2019-10-21, 6:10 pm by canary-dave

» League table Week 12
Done deal Empty2019-10-21, 12:31 pm by Jerry the Jinx

Done deal

Go down

Done deal Empty Done deal

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-02-01, 11:00 am

Sunderland AFC have completed the signing of Will Grigg from Wigan Athletic. 
Arriving from the DW Stadium, the striker put pen to paper on a three-and-a-half year deal moments before the January transfer window slammed shut.
Grigg is a proven goalscorer and he boasts an impressive strike rate in Sky Bet League One, having bagged 25 goals in Wigan’s 2015-16 title-winning campaign.
And he was similarly clinical during the 2017-18 season, scoring 19 times as the Latics were once again crowned third-tier champions.
A goal-laden career within the Football League has seen the 27-year-old win promotion from League One on four occasions in the last five years.
As well as his double title success at Wigan, Grigg also won automatic promotion with Brentford during the 2013-14 season, and with MK Dons during the 2014-15 campaign.
A Northern Ireland international, the striker has earned 13 caps to date while also being named in the nation’s 23-man squad for Euro 2016.
Grigg becomes the club’s fifth and final January signing, following Jimmy Dunne, Grant Leadbitter, Lewis Morgan and Kazaiah Sterling to the Stadium of Light, while Max Power’s loan deal was also made permanent.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Done deal Empty Re: Done deal

Post  Guest on 2019-02-01, 11:18 am

Yes.. tis now on safc website..

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-02-01, 11:25 am

Excellent news - leaving it to literally last second was a bit hard on the old ticker though Razz
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-02-01, 11:36 am

Hieronymus wrote:Excellent news - leaving it to literally last second was a bit hard on the old ticker though Razz
That was bad but then having to wait over night for confirmation just about finished me off.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-02-01, 11:59 am

Hieronymus wrote:Excellent news - leaving it to literally last second was a bit hard on the old ticker though Razz

It was always going to be that way - Please refer to my post a few days ago:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Mon 28 Jan - 16:41

This window, more than any other window, I have faith that the manager and board know what they're doing.

Of course, executing a plan is usually more difficult than creating a plan but I'm quite relaxed at this point, even though things will probably only come to a head on the last day and Will Grigg will be last minute.

Knowitall Smugface
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-02-01, 12:03 pm

Wigan fan gives in-depth and honest opinion of new Sunderland striker Will Grigg

We spoke to the lads over at top Wigan fanzine ‘The Pie At Night’ to find out just what we’re getting with Will Grigg - and, by the sounds of it, Sunderland fans are in for a treat...

By [size=13]Gav1879@Gav1879  Feb 1, 2019, 11:42am GMT

[/size]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][size=13]Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images
RR: Are you annoyed about losing Will Grigg?
[/size]
TPAN: I’m extremely p*ssed off. I totally get the business side of the decision, but the bottom line of this is that he’s a player who could play a massive role in keeping us up, and keeping him would make a statement to fans and prospective signings.
The new owners have made their intentions clear through this and it’s a sad indictment on the manager that he hasn’t been able to fit him in his side.
Nick Powell’s tweet in reaction to the news says a lot. Powell was head and shoulders above League 1 last year, better than a lot in the championship. He’ll now walk away on a free in the summer, and keeping Grigg was key to getting him to sign a new deal, I think.

RR: What exactly can Sunderland fans expect from him?

TPAN: If you can give him a supply line then you can expect goals. He’s a player who needs to be in the starting line up to be most effective, but isn’t going to create many chances by himself.
That said, the most often missed aspect of his game is his work rate - for an out and out goal scorer, he still puts a hell of a shift in when playing up front on his own.

RR: We lost our top scorer, Josh Maja, last week. Do you think Grigg is capable of hitting the ground running here and comfortably filling that void?

TPAN: We’ve repeatedly been told that he’s not match fit, so maybe not. That said, I suspect he’s fitter than people would have us believe. He did turn his ankle a couple of games back though, so might need some TLC before being thrust in.

RR: How highly do you rate Grigg as a League One striker?

TPAN: I rate him amongst the best. You can’t say much more than that really!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images
RR: Grigg has struggled to hold down a place in the side this season after being your talisman in the last - do you think he’s been unlucky, or has his lack of involvement been fair?

TPAN: It’s totally unfair. The manager has said that he’s not played Grigg because his main supply line hasn’t been fit. Personally I suspect he sees the lad as some kind of luxury, which is frankly ridiculous.
If you’ve got someone who knows where the net is, you need to be playing him.

RR: The fee hasn’t been confirmed anywhere yet, but from what we’re told it would appear that it’s anywhere between £2-£3m, potentially rising to nearer £4m if we get back to the Premier League. From a Wigan perspective do you think that’s good business?

TPAN: If we get £4m and stay up it’s good business. If we get £2m and end up getting relegated then someone will need to take a long hard look at themselves.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2019-02-01, 12:08 pm

gona be missed in Wigan ......

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-02-01, 8:14 pm

Will Grigg admits he was in his pyjamas when Sunderland's Deadline Day bid was accepted

By Danny Gallagher

Last Updated: 01/02/19 7:20pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[size=14]Sunderland's successful Deadline Day bid for Will Grigg arrived so late, the striker had already put on his pyjamas and got ready for bed

Will Grigg was in his pyjamas and ready for bed when Sunderland's sixth bid to sign him from Wigan was accepted.
The Northern Ireland international sealed a Deadline Day move at the 11th hour, after Wigan agreed a deal in the region of £4m for his departure.
Things then progressed rapidly for Grigg, who agreed to the switch on paper but had to head to the north east on Friday in order to complete a medical.
[/size]

"The deal was off so I got the kids to bed and had dinner, got in my pyjamas and before you know it I've got a text saying can you get to Wigan as soon as possible and it all happened quickly from there," Grigg told Sky Sports in his first interview since becoming a Sunderland player.
"As glamorous as it sounds I was in my pyjamas and as soon as I got a text and the call I was in my car straight away just after half nine, so it was quite a late one to be honest.

Sunderland hope Grigg will score the goals to seal promotion to the Championship

"It's no secret that as soon as the interest came in it was something that I wanted to pursue, with a club like this and everything involved with it - the stadium and the training ground - plus the vision it has as a club, it's something I really look forward to being involved in."
The £4m figure will set a new record for a transfer of a player to League One, surpassing John Brayford's £2m move to Sheffield United in 2015.
Grigg is under no false illusion that his new club are now depending on him to score to goals to see them promoted back to the Championship.
"They've not been shy and proved that they want me, and as a player that's something that you love," Grigg added.
"It's an honour to be here and everything they've done to try and get me here is brilliant so it's up to me now to repay them."

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2019-02-02, 12:29 am

Liking the sound of that. So ooptimistic now. 

Sorry Josh, and I don't want to sound spiteful as you served us well but I believe Sunderland have a brighter future than you do.
Kipper
Kipper

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2019-02-02, 5:05 am

Kipper wrote:Liking the sound of that. So ooptimistic now. 

Sorry Josh, and I don't want to sound spiteful as you served us well but I believe Sunderland have a brighter future than you do.

canary-dave
canary-dave
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2019-02-02, 11:28 am

Kipper wrote:Liking the sound of that. So ooptimistic now. 

Yes will he rue this decision? Josh I mean, not Will who sounds an excellent signing. Very optimistic for the rest of the season and onwards! Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2019-02-06, 2:35 pm

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum