SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Happy Birthday Gil
Today at 3:04 pm by Horatiocarter

» Results Week 31
Today at 1:43 pm by canary-dave

» Predictions Week 32
Today at 1:41 pm by canary-dave

» SUPPORTER ENGAGEMENT
Today at 12:20 pm by Hieronymus

» League Table Week 31
Today at 12:19 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Happy Birthday Horatiocarter
Today at 9:19 am by fulwellend47

» Predictions Week 31
Today at 7:51 am by gil t azell

» Anybody technical please.
Yesterday at 9:06 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» I have just realised
Yesterday at 5:07 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Last match
Yesterday at 5:05 pm by Gordon Armstrong

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Sunderland Til I Die

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sunderland Til I Die

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-12-10, 11:36 am

The Netflix production is released on Friday and this is the trailer - I am fairly sure it is going to be a difficult watch to be honest - less than two minutes has reduced me to tears!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland Til I Die

Post  Kipper on 2018-12-10, 2:14 pm

Hieronymus wrote:The Netflix production is released on Friday and this is the trailer - I am fairly sure it is going to be a difficult watch to be honest - less than two minutes has reduced me to tears!

I won't be watching - I'm sure it will be interesting and insightful but I don't want to revisit last year, I've moved on.
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-12-10, 6:03 pm

Kipper wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:The Netflix production is released on Friday and this is the trailer - I am fairly sure it is going to be a difficult watch to be honest - less than two minutes has reduced me to tears!

I won't be watching - I'm sure it will be interesting and insightful but I don't want to revisit last year, I've moved on.
I'm with you on this one Kipper.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-12-10, 10:14 pm

Merry Christmas

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-12-11, 8:33 pm

This is a good review - might have to watch this after all.

Sunderland's Netflix documentary is so much more than just a tale of woe and relegation

Craig Johns reviews the upcoming Netflix documentary series Sunderland Til I Die and explains why Black Cats fans will still enjoy it

By
Craig Johns

• 11:00, 11 DEC 2018

Considering just how disastrous the 2017-18 season was for Sunderland AFC, their supporters could be forgiven for thinking they will pass on reliving it through the upcoming Netflix documentary.
The eight-part series launches this Friday - December 14 - and will go behind-the-scenes during one of the worst seasons in the Black Cats' history.
So will watching the documentary be like some form of sadomasochism for Sunderland fans?
Actually it's the opposite.
The conclusion of the documentary, which Netflix gave ChronicleLive exclusive early access to, left me with a sense of pride and a newfound love of the club's extremely passionate fanbase. It made me proud of the city I was born in and grateful for the working-class roots which are instilled in me and so many hard-working people whose lives we get a little insight into during the series.
Having attended the premiere at Sunderland Empire last week, a friend of mine asked: "Is it strange that I felt a little emotional after watching that?"
Absolutely not. The series is shrouded in passion and emotion throughout. It's one of the many fantastic ways that producers Fulwell73 have captured Sunderland AFC and what it is like to support the club. The passion, the love, the significance. It is deeply moving.
It's so much more than just a football documentary.
Explaining why fans feature so heavily throughout, as does the history and culture of the city, executive producer Ben Turner told me: "Reflecting the passionate fans and the city and its history and culture was always going to be a big part of the documentary. That was important for us.
“When you start a project like this you think about what the relevance is going to be to elevate it beyond just a club shop DVD.
“To get it on Netflix we need to reach an international audience, and the opportunity for us was to put on screen what it is that we really love about the football club that we’ve followed all of our lives.
“I think there’s a resonance in the modern world, with politics with Brexit and Trump and all that, these communities that seem to be a little left behind and forgotten about. Sunderland can definitely fall into that.

Sunderland Netflix documentary  
“So what the club represents to that city goes way beyond winning on a football pitch. Partly because sadly they don’t win on the football pitch very often, but also partly because of the way that the community is.
“So the opportunity for us across the eight episodes was to really try and give the sense of what that football club is to the people because that’s more interesting to people than what tactics are they going to be playing week in, week out, I think.”
Fulwell73 capture that excellently througout. It should be noted that they are Sunderland supporters - as their name suggests. They've worked on documentaries with sporting legends such as David Beckham, Usain Bolt and Sir Mo Farah, but Sunderland Til I Die was an altogether more personal project for them.
That is reflected in what unfolds.
Sure, there will be plenty to be embarrassed, sad and even angry about. In the most part all of those emotions are drawn up from the action on the pitch, or the lack of it in the boardroom.
But in general, the production captures life as a Sunderland supporter perfectly, and will serve as a representation to a global audience of what makes Sunderland AFC such a special football club.

Sunderland fans celebrate on the final whistle  (Image: Sunderland AFC)  
They have access to so much too. From interviewing chief executive Martin Bain often, to also highlighting the hard work of people behind the scenes who work for the club but are Sunderland born and bred and genuinely care, the access is unique and unlike anything you would usually get to see.
One thing they do lack though, for anybody who watched the recent Manchester City Amazon Prime documentary, is dressing room footage. It's notable that cameras obviously weren't allowed everywhere like they were for Pep Guardiola's team talks. But in truth, they were very sanitised and likely set-up for the cameras so we probably don't miss much for not having that access, as nice as it would have been if genuine.
If nothing else, the many, many mistakes and bad fortune you will see throughout the documentary will just serve to make you even more thankful for new owner Stewart Donald, who makes a brief appearance in episode eight to give the series its brighter, hopeful conclusion.
Sunderland Til I Die might follow the club during one of its toughest seasons in recent history, but somehow you emerge from it feeling prouder than ever to be part of the red-and-white army. I'd encourage every Sunderland fan to watch it.

Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-12-12, 3:41 pm

Sunderland ‘Til I Die shows all that is right and wrong in English football
Barry Glendenning
A sense of loss is all-pervading in a Netflix series chronicling Sunderland’s relegation into League One but, throughout, a sense of optimism shines out from most fans
Contact author
@bglendenning
Wed 12 Dec 2018 14.47 GMT Last modified on Wed 12 Dec 2018 15.22 GMT

Play Video
1:50
Sunderland 'Til I Die: Netflix series charts pain, prayers and passion for the club – trailer
It’s the hope that kills them, Sunderland fans can handle the despair. And it is a prevailing sense of hope that percolates throughout all eight episodes of a new behind-the-scenes documentary chronicling the club’s relegation to the third tier of English football last season. Throughout a preposterously chaotic campaign, even by the standards of a club long considered utterly dysfunctional, Sunderland’s fans remain surprisingly upbeat, despite having grown wearily accustomed to coping with apparently bottomless levels of crushing disappointment.

Sunderland's hall of shame: club's (mostly bad) signings under Short

Read more

Commissioned by Netflix, Sunderland ’Til I Die is a love letter to a city on its knees and the conspicuously wayward child its citizens cannot bring themselves to disown, despite its proclivity for repeatedly letting them down. Even as tears and booze flow during a maudlin pub sing-song following relegation to League One, the mood among locals is one of hope things will ultimately get better because, well … they cannot get much worse.
The series was produced by Fulwell 73, a company owned by Sunderland fans done good and named after a stand at Roker Park, the club’s former ground, along with a nod to their famous FA Cup win. Having expressed an interest in buying the club before shelving their plans, they were invited to film a documentary by the since departed American owner Ellis Short in the hope of creating the kind of buzz that might generate interest among other prospective purchasers. While they were granted astonishing behind-the-scenes access, viewers hoping for the kind of foul-mouthed dressing-room rants with which Peter Reid famously punctuated Premier Passions, the BBC programmes on the club’s 1996-97 relegation from the Premier League, will be disappointed.

The transformation of Jason Steele from optimistic new arrival to tearful hologram is little short of harrowing

The documentary begins in the considerably more genteel environs of a church, St Mary’s, where local padre Father Marc Lyden-Smith and his congregation are filmed appealing to God to grant the club’s players “self-belief and a spirit of confidence because the success of our team leads to the success and prosperity of our city”. While their exhortations prove too tall an order even for the big man upstairs, this correlation between the well-being of the club and its locale remains a recurring theme. The opening credits, soundtracked by the song Shipyards from local band The Lake Poets, harks back to the city’s industrial past.

“Everybody in Sunderland has got a relation who’s either worked in the shipyards or worked in the pits, everybody,” says Peter Farrer on a drive through the city. “And unfortunately those jobs have gone. Not many people have had it easy in Sunderland. It is a hard place.” Farrer, a season-ticket holder of long standing and commendable optimism given the disappointments he and his people have been forced to endure in football as in life is one of many locals recruited to provide background and keep the story ticking over in place of a more traditional narrator.

Players shirts are seen in the changing room in a still from the Sunderland ‘Til I Die documentary. Photograph: Craig Sugden/Netflix
This sense of riches to rags and loss is all-pervading. Within the confines of the club the new manager Simon Grayson is left in no uncertain terms he will be given little or no money to spend by an administration that has pulled off the staggering feat of spending a decade in the Premier League while somehow contriving to lose millions. While Short is an almost totally absent figure, his chief executive, Martin Bain, cuts a faintly ludicrous David Brent-type figure, to whom we are first introduced as he finishes his morning swim at the training ground pool.
From the moment we are allowed to eavesdrop on a meeting between the former Rangers chief executive, Grayson, and their player recruitment team it becomes abundantly clear this rudderless ship Bain very presciently likens to the Titanic is destined to meet a similar fate. Over the course of the series Sunderland lose 23 matches, one owner, one chief executive, two managers, several players and their place in the Championship. All Or Nothing: Manchester City, this certainly ain’t.
Some players feature prominently, others not so much. With Grayson long gone and Chris Coleman appointed in his place, Aiden McGeady breaks a long and dignified silence to assess the new gaffer’s methods with barely disguised contempt. Almost comically, the club gets through goalkeepers more quickly than Spinal Tap can shed drummers and the transformation of the goalkeeper Jason Steele from optimistic arrival to tearful hologram utterly bereft of confidence is little short of harrowing.
Darron Gibson, a regular contributor until the termination of his contract after a drink-driving offence, at least conveys the impression he cares. The same cannot be said for Jack Rodwell, who generates fury by sitting tight on a salary rumoured to be £70,000 a week while in the treatment room or being forced to train with the kids after refusing to leave.

Stadium of plight: Sunderland at risk of their most shattering relegation

Read more

Sunderland ’Til I Die simultaneously showcases everything that is right and wrong with English football and the stoicism of the many fans and nervous employees to whom we are introduced sits in contrast with the borderline apathy and bungling incompetence of this local institution’s custodians. When relegation is confirmed with two games to go, the club finally changes hands and Coleman is ushered out of the door but not before he and his players have the good grace to look suitably sheepish as they are applauded into the fans’ end-of-season awards. Before the final game, an emphatic victory against the champions Wolves, we are transported to the ticket office, where staff are astonished by the length of the queue snaking out of the door. Remarkably, a wonderful series that kicked off brimful of optimism Sunderland might get out of the Championship ends with similarly high hopes of a quick return.
Sunderland Til I Die is available on Netflix from Friday 14 December
Kipper
Kipper

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-12, 3:48 pm

I have not yet seen it but people who have tell me its a fascinating watch and does indeed show all that was and had been wrong for some time.

I guess its a much easier watch when watching from the top of the league rather than the bottom.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-12-12, 10:58 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I have not yet seen it but people who have tell me its a fascinating watch and does indeed show all that was and had been wrong for some time.

I guess its a much easier watch when watching from the top of the league rather than the bottom.
Any word if it chronicles the activities of players away from the training pitch on "Non-SAFC" time?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-15, 12:44 am

Looks like I am going to have to get netflix, everyone is saying how good this is and yes a bad season but many opinions of players are being changed for good and bad and what was going on behind the scenes, incredible.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-12-15, 10:30 am

cyprussyd wrote:Looks like I am going to have to get netflix, everyone is saying how good this is and yes a bad season but many opinions of players are being changed for good and bad and what was going on behind the scenes, incredible.
Yeh it was interesting 
I watched it all in two sittings
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-15, 10:45 am

Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Looks like I am going to have to get netflix, everyone is saying how good this is and yes a bad season but many opinions of players are being changed for good and bad and what was going on behind the scenes, incredible.
Yeh it was interesting 
Just signed up for netflix so my weekend viewing

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-12-15, 1:58 pm

I
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-12-15, 7:42 pm

Not sure if I could bear it!

Bane is on a lot apparently
sunderpitt
sunderpitt
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-12-15, 7:48 pm

sunderpitt wrote:Not sure if I could bear it!

Like  you I dont think I can watch it but from what I have heard Bain comes out as a good guy whilst Short and the players barring Catts n Honeyman or Gooch are all total w*nkers.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-12-15, 9:16 pm

gil t azell wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:Not sure if I could bear it!

Like  you I dont think I can watch it but from what I have heard Bain comes out as a good guy whilst Short and the players barring Catts n Honeyman or Gooch are all total w*nkers.
I'd heard Bain comes out like David Brent
Kipper
Kipper

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-15, 9:34 pm

Best way to judge is to watch it.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-12-15, 11:21 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Best way to judge is to watch it.
Now that's insightful like
Kipper
Kipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-12-16, 12:41 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 
FYI    ... Check out the UK T&C's but elsewhere if you cancel before the 30 day free trial ends you can cancel for free  Laughing

Ps. Only works once per IP or address apparently  pale

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-12-16, 12:41 am

cyprussyd wrote:Best way to judge is to watch it.

I wish more were like you.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-12-16, 9:32 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 
FYI    ... Check out the UK T&C's but elsewhere if you cancel before the 30 day free trial ends you can cancel for free  Laughing

Netflix have a "join free for a month" offer on here too. If only I had a spare hour or two to watch TV!

Mainly Peppa Pig, Tom and Jerry, or Disney movies on our TV. By time children are both in bed we're too exhausted to do much more than tidy up the devastation they leave behind them, watch the news headlines and then go to bed ourselves!
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-16, 9:53 am

Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 

Netflix have a "join free for a month" offer on here too. If only I had a spare hour or two to watch TV!

Mainly Peppa Pig, Tom and Jerry, or Disney movies on our TV. By time children are both in bed we're too exhausted to do much more than tidy up the devastation they leave behind them, watch the news headlines and then go to bed ourselves!
You would not believe how many grandparents I hear blaming the kids for the grandparents favorite viewing.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-12-16, 10:49 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 

You would not believe how many grandparents I hear blaming the kids for the grandparents favorite viewing.
I love Tom and Jerry and Disney movies Embarassed
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-16, 12:15 pm

oldblackcat wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Yeh it was interesting 

I love Tom and Jerry and Disney movies Embarassed
No surprise there TBH

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-12-16, 11:37 pm

Well I sat down and watched it tonight, got to the end of the January transfer window so will watch the rest tomorrow.

I cant recommend it highly enough, fascinating from start to finish and so far..

MARTIN BAIN
A lot of time for the man who did all he could but with his hands tied behind his back by Short.

SIMON GRAYSON
Again a good man but out of his depth IMO.

CHRIS COLEMAN
Loved him when he was here and love him even more after watching him.

JASON STEELE
A very nice genuine man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. For all supporters who boo players you will see how you destroy them.

BACKROOM STAFF AT THE AoL
Hard working good people and I could not help but wonder how many we see in this have lost their jobs.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-12-17, 9:48 am

Done the iTunes deed
sunderpitt
sunderpitt
Senior Member(Top Cat)