SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» A fine line
Yesterday at 11:03 pm by MrRAWhite

» Predictions Week 9
Yesterday at 10:39 pm by Silvers

» N'Dong
Yesterday at 7:33 pm by Nostalgic

» Our next two games Coventry Away
Yesterday at 2:41 pm by cyprussyd

» Watmore
Yesterday at 2:32 pm by sunderpitt

» Our new music
Yesterday at 1:17 pm by vinkel

» Tomorrow Night - New Quiz Night at The Peacock (Every Tuesday)
Yesterday at 11:21 am by DanielFullard

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Yesterday at 9:43 am by Vincemac

» Quiz 111
Yesterday at 5:03 am by Nostalgic

» Quiz 112
2018-09-23, 10:58 pm by cyprussyd

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Club Statement on Papy Djilobodji.

Go down

Club Statement on Papy Djilobodji.

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-07, 3:51 am

Sunderland AFC would like to issue supporters with the following update on defender Papy Djilobodji.
Papy Djilobodji has returned to the club, late and having missed pre-season and the opening month of the season proper.
The club is taking legal advice on the situation, and the player has been undergoing fitness tests, to assess whether he has returned to the club in a state to play professional football.
There will be no further comment until the player’s fitness has been assessed fully and the club has received full legal advice.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Club Statement on Papy Djilobodji.

Post  froggy1973 on 2018-09-07, 6:44 am

If I turned up to my work weeks late I wouldn't have a job!

froggy1973
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-07, 8:59 am

froggy1973 wrote:If I turned up to my work weeks late I wouldn't have a job!
Problem is that's what they want, sack them and they become free agents and can join anyone with a big signing on fee and the club loses  out.

For me the very short and rather blunt statement is sending out a message that Sunderland will no longer have the piss taken out of them, we wont have a Rodwell situation.

Papy is back so we must allow him to train and use the facilities but he is still not being paid and Donald is no fool, he must believe he has a strong case to sue, get a payout from the player, they are all millionaires so can afford it then sack him.

Charlie made a short comment when asked about the two players, "We want rid but only on our terms and f we have to take a short term hit then so be it".

For me this is further proof that the new era is a very different one and a far better one with the club coming first and being protected.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-09-07, 9:08 am

Interesting side issue for our new owners to deal with for the first time... the legal ins and outs will undoubtedly be tortuous.

Let's hope Ross and the boys do not get distracted
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-09-07, 9:43 am

LEGAL is expensive too... unfortunately.
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-07, 9:45 am

sunderpitt wrote:Interesting side issue for our new owners to deal with for the first time... the legal ins and outs will undoubtedly be tortuous.

Let's hope Ross and the boys do not get distracted
Ross seems very focused and has back heeled the situation to the owners.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-09-07, 11:00 am

I think we need to at least consider the possibilities that the outcome may be that principles are put to one side and game time made possible to facilitate a sale in January..
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-07, 11:17 am

Silvers wrote:I think we need to at least consider the possibilities that the outcome may be that principles are put to one side and game time made possible to facilitate a sale in January..
I am very happy with everything Donald is doing, however my one small criticism is his comment that Pappy will never again wear the red and white shirt while he is owner. I agree that its the right thing to do but saying it could come back and bite him.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-09-07, 11:31 am

Eggs act lee..

..and like Catts, Pappy would probably be good at this level ...
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-09-07, 8:36 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Silvers wrote:I think we need to at least consider the possibilities that the outcome may be that principles are put to one side and game time made possible to facilitate a sale in January..
I am very happy with everything Donald is doing, however my one small criticism is his comment that Pappy will never again wear the red and white shirt while he is owner. I agree that its the right thing to do but saying it will come back and bite him.
like Sorted.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Reiver on 2018-09-08, 12:47 pm

I presume that the fitness test thing is to assess whether he is fit enough to play at any level and if he is not then the club will be able to continue to withhold his wages on the grounds that he has effectively still made himself unavailable to play.

For me if he is fit enough to play then the club has a dilemma - his attitude has been such that regardless as to his capital worth (in terms of resale price) he would still be toxic in the dressing room and therefore may well destroy what JR has been working so hard to build.   He would need to demonstrate quite staggering amounts of contrition and desire to work before realistically he becomes an asset again.

Which brings me round to the point of his actual worth versus what we would need to pay him if he returns to fitness.   I can't imagine we would ever get much more than £2m tops for him now which is probably around half what we will be paying him over the next 12 months.   That 's before you factor in legal costs and management time etc to deal with the mess he has caused.    

As a rapidly depreciating asset then economically the club are probably better off in the long term in cancelling his contract and allowing him to become a free agent.   It would be a bitter pill to swallow but probably best all round.  I think it is different with N'Dong as he does still have a much higher resale value that Papy.

BTW - I'm not actually that convinced he would be any good in League 1 anyway!!
Reiver
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-09-08, 2:03 pm

He may go to Gateshead on loan of course...

Cool
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-11, 12:42 pm

Sunderland owner Stewart Donald appeared on the Jim White Show on TalkSPORT this morning and spent the majority of his time on air answering questions about Papy Djilobodji and Didier Ndong, the two players who are yet to return to the club to train since pre-season began in June.
Donald conceded that he has paid the last installment on the Ndong transfer fee to French club Lorient this morning, which was in excess of £3m.
He admitted that he has now paid off both deals in full, with the final payment to Chelsea - another huge sum - for Djilobodji paid last month.
He also added that whilst Papy Djilboodji did indeed report back to the Academy of Light after a 72 day exile, he hasn’t been seen since his initial meeting with them last week and that he said “you will never see me in Sunderland again” in his last direct conversation with the club.
Donald also noted that when contract terminations were mooted with the representatives of both players, suggestions were made that loyalty payments and agent fees were due soon and that if something could be done there, a termination may be possible.
The club are still taking legal advice on how to deal with both players, and this situation is sure to develop further over the coming days and weeks.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-09-11, 12:57 pm

cyprussyd wrote:[size=32]Sunderland owner Stewart Donald appeared on the Jim White Show on TalkSPORT this morning and spent the majority of his time on air answering questions about Papy Djilobodji and Didier Ndong, the two players who are yet to return to the club to train since pre-season began in June.[/size]
[size=32]Donald conceded that he has paid the last installment on the Ndong transfer fee to French club Lorient this morning, which was in excess of £3m.[/size]
[size=32]He admitted that he has now paid off both deals in full, with the final payment to Chelsea - another huge sum - for Djilobodji paid last month.[/size]
[size=32]He also added that whilst Papy Djilboodji did indeed report back to the Academy of Light after a 72 day exile, he hasn’t been seen since his initial meeting with them last week and that he said “you will never see me in Sunderland again” in his last direct conversation with the club.[/size]
[size=32]Donald also noted that when contract terminations were mooted with the representatives of both players, suggestions were made that loyalty payments and agent fees were due soon and that if something could be done there, a termination may be possible.[/size]
[size=32]The club are still taking legal advice on how to deal with both players, and this situation is sure to develop further over the coming days and weeks.[/size]

Well we bought them (Moyes?) So yes we have to pay the selling club... what happens next as regards their wages (both have a couple of years left?) Or what happens with any selling fee? Is anybodies guess.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-09-12, 12:25 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:[size=32]Sunderland owner Stewart Donald appeared on the Jim White Show on TalkSPORT this morning and spent the majority of his time on air answering questions about Papy Djilobodji and Didier Ndong, the two players who are yet to return to the club to train since pre-season began in June.[/size]
[size=32]Donald conceded that he has paid the last installment on the Ndong transfer fee to French club Lorient this morning, which was in excess of £3m.[/size]
[size=32]He admitted that he has now paid off both deals in full, with the final payment to Chelsea - another huge sum - for Djilobodji paid last month.[/size]
[size=32]He also added that whilst Papy Djilboodji did indeed report back to the Academy of Light after a 72 day exile, he hasn’t been seen since his initial meeting with them last week and that he said “you will never see me in Sunderland again” in his last direct conversation with the club.[/size]
[size=32]Donald also noted that when contract terminations were mooted with the representatives of both players, suggestions were made that loyalty payments and agent fees were due soon and that if something could be done there, a termination may be possible.[/size]
[size=32]The club are still taking legal advice on how to deal with both players, and this situation is sure to develop further over the coming days and weeks.[/size]

Well we bought them (Moyes?) So yes we have to pay the selling club... what happens next as regards their wages (both have a couple of years left?) Or what happens with any selling fee? Is anybodies guess.
Well he’s sacked now 
We save on wages
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-09-12, 12:52 pm

Yes, it looks like he's now gone according to the BBC.

Sunderland have terminated Papy Djilobodji's contract, saying the defender returned to the club late and unfit.
The 29-year-old Senegal international, who was on loan at Dijon last season, put in a transfer request in June.
He failed to report for training in August after Sunderland allowed him to take unpaid leave during July to agree a deal at a new club.

The club said he "comprehensively" failed a fitness test upon his return.
Djilibodji, who was under contract until June 2020, only returned to training in the first week of September after ignoring a number of written requests from the League One club.
In a statement, Sunderland said he was subjected to the same pre-season fitness tests that the rest of the squad went through in July.
Sunderland paid Chelsea £8m for Djilobodji in August 2016, becoming former manager David Moyes' first signing at the Stadium of Light, but his last first-team appearance for the Black Cats was in August 2017.

That's one down & just one more to go!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-09-12, 12:59 pm

Wonder if we're going to do him for losses to the club. We might have got more money if we'd have sold him on the cheap but nevertheless I agrees with the owners' stance that nobody is taking the piss out of us anymore.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-12, 1:01 pm

I don't think NDong will be far behind

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-12, 4:19 pm

Sunderland AFC has given notice under its contract with Papy Djilobodji. Djilobodji, who was under contract to SAFC until June 2020, indicated in June 2018 that he wished to leave the club.
In order to facilitate that desire, the club entered into a written agreement with the player allowing him to spend the month of July on voluntary unpaid leave.
When that period came to an end, the player was expected either to leave for a new club – having reached a deal satisfactory to himself and SAFC - or to return in shape to play professional football. Instead, he returned to Sunderland over a month later, in the first week of September, ignoring written requests for his return. On his return, he was subjected to the same fitness test that his fellow professionals had undertaken on their return. He comprehensively failed that test.
As a result, Sunderland AFC can confirm that it has accepted Papy Djilobodji’s repudiatory breaches of contract and notice of the same has been provided to the player. 

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-12, 4:22 pm

Nick Barnes‏ [ltr]@Tweed_Barnesy[/ltr] 4h4 hours ago
[size=1]More
[/size]
Nick Barnes Retweeted Richard Mennear
To try and make things cleaer: Repudiatory breach means his contract will end. It is then up to the club whether they pursue him for damages caused to the club by his breach. A very expensive thing to do. Any money, if awarded after a court case, comes out of his own pocket #safc

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-09-12, 4:39 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Nick Barnes‏ 

[ltr]@Tweed_Barnesy[/ltr]

[size=30] 4h4 hours ago
More[/size]
Nick Barnes Retweeted Richard Mennear
[size=31]To try and make things cleaer: Repudiatory breach means his contract will end. It is then up to the club whether they pursue him for damages caused to the club by his breach. A very expensive thing to do. Any money, if awarded after a court case, comes out of his own pocket #safc[/size]

I guess the lawyers will benefit whatever happens.

N'Dong  next I hope
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-12, 5:47 pm

WHAT DOES THE STATEMENT MEAN? 
The statement essentially means that Sunderland have given notice Papy Djilobodji that they intend to terminate his contract. That contract is due to run to June 2020 but the Black Cats want to bring that to an early conclusion. This statement is the start of that procedure.

WHAT IS THEIR CASE? 
Perhaps the crucial line of the statement is as follows: "As a result, Sunderland AFC can confirm that it has accepted Papy Djilobodji’s repudiatory breaches of contract and notice of the same has been provided to the player." The legal definition of a 'repudiatory breach' is as follows: "a material breach of contract [failure to perform a contractual obligation] so fundamental that allows the non-breaching party to sue for damages and terminate the contract." It is understood that the Black Cats believe that Djilobodji has in effect terminated his contract unilaterally through a series of breaches over the summer. The club gave Djilobodji written permission not to return for pre-season training in July at the player's request, with the 29-year-old eager to find a new club. He was told, however, to stay fit in that time. He returned to the Academy of Light last week, well after the agreed date, and was put through a series of fitness tests as any player would returning for pre-season. Sunderland's statement says he 'comprehensively failed that test'. As such, it is understood that they believe he is weeks, perhaps even months away from being fit enough to realistically play senior football. 

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? 
It is worth dwelling again on the term 'repudiatory breach'. While Sunderland have accepted that they now will not receive a transfer fee for losing Djilobodji's services, they could yet pursue him in the courts. Stewart Donald told talkSPORT on Tuesday that 'the question is whether they have done enough to be in breach of their contracts to terminate their contracts and pursue them for willfully devaluing themselves. That is the question.' Clearly, on the first part he believes the club have a legal case and has now taken action. The second is not yet clear but will become so in the coming weeks. While the circumstances are different and the nature of any case is different, Chelsea pursued Adrian Mutu in the courts after sacking him for testing positive for drugs use. They recovered the fee they paid to sign him from Parma. 

WHAT ARE DJILOBODJI'S OPTIONS? 
Djilobodji could of course contest the decision as he stands to lose a small fortune in wages. He cannot sign for another club until January even if he becomes a free agent, unless it is in a league where the window remains open. Those are few and far between. Clearly, he has also been angling for a Sunderland exit all summer. What his defence would be should Sunderland pursue him for devaluing himself is unclear. An article in L'Equipe earlier this week claimed that Djilobodji did not hear from Sunderland in August. The club statement said that the defender 'had ignored written requests for his return'. What Djilobodji decides to do next is not known but the Black Cats certainly believe they are on strong legal footing.

DO SUNDERLAND STILL OWE CHELSEA MONEY FOR DJILOBODJI? 
No. Sunderland very recently paid the final installment on what remains one of the club's biggest ever purchases. Stewart Donald told the Roker Report podcast that it had been a 'galling' cheque to write. IS DIDIER NDONG NEXT? Charlie Methven admitted last week that the two situations were different given that Ndong is still AWOL. As recently as Tuesday, Stewart Donald said that the Gabonese midfielder's whereabouts are still unknown. The Black Cats have withheld his wages in the interim period with the 24-year-old missing out on a number of moves, including Benfica and Torino. So the situation is not identical but Ndong's absence has been a source of similar frustration and so action at some stage does seem likely. 

THE CLUB STATEMENT IN FULL 
"Sunderland AFC has given notice under its contract with Papy Djilobodji. Djilobodji, who was under contract to SAFC until June 2020, indicated in June 2018 that he wished to leave the club. "In order to facilitate that desire, the club entered into a written agreement with the player allowing him to spend the month of July on voluntary unpaid leave. "When that period came to an end, the player was expected either to leave for a new club – having reached a deal satisfactory to himself and SAFC - or to return in shape to play professional football. Instead, he returned to Sunderland over a month later, in the first week of September, ignoring written requests for his return. On his return, he was subjected to the same fitness test that his fellow professionals had undertaken on their return. He comprehensively failed that test. "As a result, Sunderland AFC can confirm that it has accepted Papy Djilobodji’s repudiatory breaches of contract and notice of the same has been provided to the player."

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-09-12, 7:31 pm

We've been fair to him........now sue him and ruin him  Twisted Evil.....
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-09-13, 1:42 pm

There are reports in France that Papy Djilobodji disputes Sunderland's version of events after the defender was told on Wednesday that SAFC intend to terminate his contract.
French newspaper L’Equipe claim Djilobodji will appeal the decision and will go through the court system if necessary.
Watch this space.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-09-13, 2:09 pm

cyprussyd wrote:There are reports in France that Papy Djilobodji disputes Sunderland's version of events after the defender was told on Wednesday that SAFC intend to terminate his contract.
French newspaper L’Equipe claim Djilobodji will appeal the decision and will go through the court system if necessary.
Watch this space.

Meanwhile he will recieve no wages and cannot play for anybody else?
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum