SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» fa cup 2nd round we have
Yesterday at 10:29 pm by gil t azell

» 40K target
Yesterday at 10:27 pm by gil t azell

»  Morecambe v Sunderland
Yesterday at 8:38 pm by cyprussyd

» WW1
Yesterday at 6:45 pm by vinkel

» Top of the Championship!
Yesterday at 6:04 pm by canary-dave

» Sunderland vs Wycombe
Yesterday at 4:01 pm by cyprussyd

» Cretanmackem look away now!
Yesterday at 1:42 pm by canary-dave

» Vegan"s
Yesterday at 1:24 pm by cretanmakem

» Port Vale cup (tv) Match Day Thread
2018-11-11, 9:15 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Week 15
2018-11-11, 6:01 pm by canary-dave

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Go down

Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-28, 1:01 pm

Prior to Sunderland’s fixture against AFC Wimbledon, the club released a series of training ground videos. Normally, these snippets are designed to show a squad hard at work, ready to face the challenges of the weekend’s upcoming fixture. 


They tend to provide very little insight into the day-to-day rigours of a professional football club. The team spirit looks strong at Sunderland under new regime. However, even in a couple of two-minute clips of the first team squad going through some routine passing drills it exposed a side to Sunderland supporters have not seen in years. 


There were smiling faces, laughing and joking, a competitive edge and an all-round humiliation of Lyden Gooch when he was nutmegged by manager Jack Ross. 


The subsequent verbal ribbing that came the American’s way was laughed off with a knowing smile but it highlighted a hugely important factor of Sunderland’s renaissance in League One - team spirit. 


In recent years, we have talked of a fractured dressing room with a supposed “rotten core” but since Ross’ arrival it has changed around significantly. As football club’s rely more and more heavily on social media to promote their own content, supporters are given a peak behind the curtain into the daily lives of the players that pull on the shirt. 


Manchester City’s ‘All or Nothing’ documentary revealed to us that Pep Guardiola says “guys” a lot but it demonstrated the togetherness of a squad and how they celebrated even the most inconsequential victory with such vigour. 


Sunderland supporters are given a brief glimpse into the new regime but what they are seeing is a squad seemingly united. The manager is getting involved in training drills, goalkeeping coach Jimmy Walker is busting out dance moves, midfielder Max Power is documenting every single movement of defender Donald Love and stalwart Lee Cattermole is putting an experienced arm around youth players. 


It is this team spirit that can fire Sunderland back into the Championship. Away from Ross’ astute tactical acumen both before and during games, the Scot has instilled an excellent camaraderie around the squad. He has brought in players that not only have the technical ability but also provide the off-field qualities that you need to craft a promotion-winning team. 


Each player knows they are playing for the man stood beside them. That is why when this team is faced with adversity it does not shirk responsibility. In three of Sunderland’s first five league games, they have fallen behind and in each case they have galvanised and fought back to claim victory. The double header against Gillingham and AFC Wimbledon presented Sunderland with different challenges, of which they overcame with flying colours. While at Priestfield it was a case of blowing away the opposition, at Kingsmeadow it was digging deep to find an answer to one of their biggest challenges of the season. As the club cameras panned to each player leaving the field in south London, each displayed a face of jubilation. They embraced each other like a band of brothers, they smiled as they high-fived and revved up a fervent and buoyant support. This collective team spirit is one that Ross has instilled and - over time - has the potential to propel Sunderland to promotion.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47366
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-08-28, 8:59 pm

Not quite totally gone as Cattermole is still here representing the same 'rotten core' that battled to avoid relegation three seasons running before we ran out of puff. Also he was at one time described as the ringleader.

Dragging that phrase up represents nothing in the current situation.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4077
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 80
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-28, 9:06 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Not quite totally gone as Cattermole is still here representing the same 'rotten core' that battled to avoid relegation three seasons running before we ran out of puff. Also he was at one time described as the ringleader.

Dragging that phrase up represents nothing in the current situation
 I think the fact that Cattermole is still here and a happy part of the squad is the very point of the article, a very good article IMO that shows just how good a job Ross is doing.

So yes Catts is still here but that rotten core is gone and that is very much the current situation.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47366
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-08-28, 10:33 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Not quite totally gone as Cattermole is still here representing the same 'rotten core' that battled to avoid relegation three seasons running before we ran out of puff. Also he was at one time described as the ringleader.

Dragging that phrase up represents nothing in the current situation
 I think the fact that Cattermole is still here and a happy part of the squad is the very point of the article, a very good article IMO that shows just how good a job Ross is doing.

So yes Catts is still here but that rotten core is gone and that is very much the current situation.
So let's hope results stay as they are and if Cattermole stays we will not hear of the rotten core again for any reason.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4077
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 80
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-08-29, 8:45 am

I would argue we had a rotten team rather than a rotten core........maybe just not a team?
avatar
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Posts : 2474
Join date : 2012-08-20
Age : 57
Location : washington

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2018-08-29, 9:56 am

Some people just can't 'let go' and will always need a scapegoat.
To suggest that Catts 'represents' the rotten core when it's aboslutely clear that he's an important part of our new team/squad is a perfect example of someone not wanting his contribution (which has undoubtedly been massive) even to the detriment of S.A.F.C. Sad

I simply can't understand this rotten attitude !
avatar
Gordon Armstrong
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Posts : 193
Join date : 2016-01-21
Age : 26
Location : South Shields, Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  black fox on 2018-08-29, 1:42 pm

i think that there never an actual rotten core among the players but it was owner and very bad managersthat let players get away with anything they wanted to do,under reid and keane they behaved themselves ok,the recent managers with the exception of sam didn't have the control needed they wouldn't have got away with under cloughie or Fergie and if di;canio had got his way he would have stamped it out but some players(I don't know who) went crying to Maggie byrne and got him sacked before he had got it under control. anyway this is just my own opinion about the so called rotten core.

________________________________________________________
giaccomo
avatar
black fox
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Posts : 172
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 76
Location : pattaya thailand

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-08-29, 1:46 pm

black fox wrote:i think that there never an actual rotten core among the players but it was owner and very bad managersthat let players get away with anything they wanted to do,under reid and keane they behaved themselves ok,the recent managers with the exception of sam didn't have the control needed they wouldn't have got away with under cloughie or Fergie and if di;canio had got his way he would have stamped it out but some players(I don't know who) went crying to Maggie byrne and got him sacked before he had got it under control. anyway this is just my own opinion about the so called rotten core.

Hmmm I think Mr Fox maybe has gotten to what the real problem is.

Unless you have good sound leadership.. a Lord of the Flies situation can develop.. and the lunatics end up running the asylum
avatar
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Posts : 7371
Join date : 2012-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  black fox on 2018-08-29, 1:53 pm

also I could never bring my self to slag catts off ,more likely o;shea was the culprit.

________________________________________________________
giaccomo
avatar
black fox
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Posts : 172
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 76
Location : pattaya thailand

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Kipper on 2018-08-29, 4:05 pm

Poyet kept going on about there being something wrong at the club, something he couldn't identify like it was something mysterious and spooky. It wasn't that there was something wrong with the club, there was everything wrong with the club and the way it operated from top to bottom. Now we are able to see what it should be like and we've got the owners and management that are a great fit and have helped pull everyone in the right direction. You've got to be a complete tosser not to embrace that and so far this season, Cattermole is proving to be the opposite of a complete tosser. Long may it continue.

While I'm on about Tossers - N'Dong and Didj - there's two. And they still think they're worth more than anyone's willing to pay for them, despite the fact that N'Dong hasn't played for god knows how long - not one minute of game tie at Watford. Neither of them have trained or been involved with a team for ages so why would anyone take them. I don't think anyone will. It would be nice if we could get some money for them, and whilst here is still that possibility, I presume that's the only reason we're not suing their arses. When Friday comes and goes with no movement I hope we get our money in court.
avatar
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Posts : 1052
Join date : 2016-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-29, 4:14 pm

Kipper wrote:Poyet kept going on about there being something wrong at the club, something he couldn't identify like it was something mysterious and spooky. It wasn't that there was something wrong with the club, there was everything wrong with the club and the way it operated from top to bottom. Now we are able to see what it should be like and we've got the owners and management that are a great fit and have helped pull everyone in the right direction. You've got to be a complete tosser not to embrace that and so far this season, Cattermole is proving to be the opposite of a complete tosser. Long may it continue.

While I'm on about Tossers - N'Dong and Didj - there's two. And they still think they're worth more than anyone's willing to pay for them, despite the fact that N'Dong hasn't played for god knows how long - not one minute of game tie at Watford. Neither of them have trained or been involved with a team for ages so why would anyone take them. I don't think anyone will. It would be nice if we could get some money for them, and whilst here is still that possibility, I presume that's the only reason we're not suing their arses. When Friday comes and goes with no movement I hope we get our money in court.
These two make Rodwell look like a saint

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47366
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  lesmac on 2018-08-29, 4:52 pm

Gordon Armstrong wrote:Some people just can't 'let go' and will always need a scapegoat.
To suggest that Catts 'represents' the rotten core when it's aboslutely clear that he's an important part of our new team/squad is a perfect example of someone not wanting his contribution (which has undoubtedly been massive) even to the detriment of S.A.F.C. Sad

I simply can't understand this rotten attitude !
Once again you have made a very valid point regarding the sad minority of our fans who continually badmouth those players they think are the cause of all our problems these past few seasons. I stopped letting these "fans" annoy me two seasons ago for no matter how you try to reason with them it falls on deaf ears. Thankfully the vast majority of our fans have the nous to support both the management and the players that have been brought in by Stewart and Charlie. We owe those guys all the support  the fans can muster especially if, and when some bad times descend on SAFC. Teamwork will sustain the club and ALL the fans should understand that and follow the example set by Stewart and Charlie and their management team.
avatar
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 2753
Join date : 2012-08-03
Location : North Northumberland

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-08-29, 10:54 pm

Some worthy and valid points here, and by their supportive nature I would say bringing it up in the article was unnecessary in these relatively happy times. Could it be some supporters have greater insight than journalists?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4077
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 80
Location : Auckland NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-30, 7:57 am

Well it seems like I read the article in a very different way to everyone else, for me its got nothing to do with raking up the past and its all about the great job that Ross and our new owners are doing.

The so called rotten core is not the made up story of some journo or the wild thoughts of fans its the words of Quinn and many managers after him. None named what that rotten core was but we could all see and feel it, something was very wrong with the club, Cattermoles name was often given as part of that yes and that certainly came from suggestion without proof but my reading of the article is not saying he was that rotten core but that he is the only player left who has been here long term.

I am a Cattermole fan and for me watching the last two games in particular has been more than satisfying its been a joy. To see the new players and younger players playing freely and happily is understandable but to watch Cattermole highlights for me the job Ross is doing. Cattermole is not just part of the change he leads the change with his attitude work rate and leadership and anyone watching I would suggest can see the difference in unity and the bond the squad have with each other and the manager and his team.

That for me is what the article is all about and its an article that rings true with me, why the rotten core should not be mentioned I simply dont understand.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47366
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-09-02, 6:04 am

Gordon Armstrong wrote:Some people just can't 'let go' and will always need a scapegoat.
To suggest that Catts 'represents' the rotten core when it's aboslutely clear that he's an important part of our new team/squad is a perfect example of someone not wanting his contribution (which has undoubtedly been massive) even to the detriment of S.A.F.C. Sad

I simply can't understand this rotten attitude !
like

Make no bones about it, “The Rotten Core” that’s so often referred to is about the actions of a tight five whom once upon a time allegedly ruled the club and not just another fairy story.
As an alleged victim once emphatically stated when polity responding to being pressed about it after the fact over a dinner one evening, “Get over it, I’ve long since moved on to focus on more important things”.
It seems to me that those whom like to kept opening old wounds about what they think they know should just heed the insight of an ex-player just like Ross & Co. are so doing and enjoy the new regime.

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]            [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 10040
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 100
Location : Godzone

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland's 'rotten core' seems no more

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum