SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Pompey game
Today at 11:02 am by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Wycombe Wanderers
Today at 10:45 am by cyprussyd

» Get your vote in
Today at 9:29 am by Gordon Armstrong

» Predictions Week 15
Today at 5:46 am by oldblackcat

» Craig Samson
Yesterday at 5:53 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 117
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Checkatrade next round
Yesterday at 2:38 pm by vinkel

» BREXIT the solution
Yesterday at 1:37 pm by canary-dave

» Emmerdale and Corrie.
Yesterday at 1:31 pm by Vincemac

» 40K target
Yesterday at 9:57 am by Sid MCFC

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

So so sad

Go down

So so sad

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-24, 2:44 pm

Saddened to find out the reason that a lock to our work site in Huddersfield had been cut. (Emergency service access)
Young person had taken their life on site following their A level results.
Parents..give your kids a hug..exams aren’t everything

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So so sad

Post  canary-dave on 2018-08-24, 3:02 pm

There is so much pressure put on youngsters that exams are the be all and end all, most universities have minimum requirements for students to be taken. There are many examples of people who have been very successful with limited education  also some very gifted youngsters suffer from exam nerves affecting their results. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but there needs to be some way of getting through to the youngsters that results are not necessarily too important

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-24, 3:56 pm

canary-dave wrote:There is so much pressure put on youngsters that exams are the be all and end all, most universities have minimum requirements for students to be taken. There are many examples of people who have been very successful with limited education  also some very gifted youngsters suffer from exam nerves affecting their results. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but there needs to be some way of getting through to the youngsters that results are not necessarily too important
I think the starting point is to some way of getting over that universities are not the be all and end all, I'm biased because I didn't go neither did my son.

I did apprenticeship and night class my son runs a successful business he owns. Bloody Blair and his University for all idea started the rot, anyone who did not do Uni was a failure by default so lots of useless degrees.

Society for me is a place where everyone is needed, valued and plays a part.

Doctors, lawyers and the like need a university education. The mechanic, man or woman who sorts your central heating out, the nurse and chef or cook who makes you a nice meal all need teacher training, cookery school, engineering and trade apprenticeships.

The road sweeper, cleaner, shop worker and the like need good in work training.

All need each other, all should be valued but we are not sadly so the poor sods who have the ability and talent to make a nice meal, keep an hospital clean and germ free, keep our streets clean and make the place we live a nice place to live are all life's failures because they dont have the right piece of paper. 

I'm not devaluing a university education, I'm pleased my doctor had one, just wish the lady who keeps the surgery clean was also valued.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-08-24, 4:34 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
canary-dave wrote:There is so much pressure put on youngsters that exams are the be all and end all, most universities have minimum requirements for students to be taken. There are many examples of people who have been very successful with limited education  also some very gifted youngsters suffer from exam nerves affecting their results. 

I think the starting point is to some way of getting over that universities are not the be all and end all, I'm biased because I didn't go neither did my son.

I did apprenticeship and night class my son runs a successful business he owns. Bloody Blair and his University for all idea started the rot, anyone who did not do Uni was a failure by default so lots of useless degrees.

Doctors, lawyers and the like need a university education. The mechanic, man or woman who sorts your central heating out, the nurse and chef or cook who makes you a nice meal all need teacher training, cookery school, engineering and trade apprenticeships.

All need each other, all should be valued but we are not sadly so the poor sods who have the ability and talent to make a nice meal, keep an hospital clean and germ free, keep our streets clean and make the place we live a nice place to live are all life's failures because they dont have the right piece of paper. 

I'm not devaluing a university education, I'm pleased my doctor had one, just wish the lady who keeps the surgery clean was also valued.

like APPL APPL

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-08-24, 9:10 pm

cyprussyd wrote:

like crawl crawl 

Ps. It happens ALL over the world, not just the UK  cry1

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2018-08-28, 7:55 pm

Last few weeks have saw one of my kids awaiting A Level results and another GCSE results.. You could feel the stress that they both were going through. I told them both beforehand that regardless of results I would be proud of them for the effort they put in anyway.. As it turns out they both exceeded expectations so all OK.. It is me who is stressed now as our Christopher will be off to university in Leeds shortly..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-28, 7:58 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:Last few weeks have saw one of my kids awaiting A Level results and another GCSE results.. You could feel the stress that they both were going through. I told them both beforehand that regardless of results I would be proud of them for the effort they put in anyway.. As it turns out they both exceeded expectations so all OK.. It is me who is stressed now as our Christopher will be off to university in Leeds shortly..
Good move Christopher, Leeds is far enough away from freedom but nearer enough to get your washing done.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2018-08-28, 9:28 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
MrRAWhite wrote:Last few weeks have saw one of my kids awaiting A Level results and another GCSE results.. You could feel the stress that they both were going through. I told them both beforehand that regardless of results I would be proud of them for the effort they put in anyway.. As it turns out they both exceeded expectations so all OK.. It is me who is stressed now as our Christopher will be off to university in Leeds shortly..
Good move Christopher, Leeds is far enough away from freedom but nearer enough to get your washing done.
I'll miss him like crazy.. This will be his first year without a season ticket since he was four..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-08-29, 9:28 am

We had this experience in the early 80s..
Son went off to Bournemouth to do Practical Archaeology then two years later daughter went off to Manchester to do German.
They were fine. Twas the parents who had to deal with the empty nest!
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-08-29, 1:41 pm

Today's news is that more young folk are self-harming. Twice as many females than males (25% ).
It seems social media.. like this forum? Are to blame for srlf-harmimg and pressure to perform at exams.

Thinking back decades.. there was pressure I am sure.. I personally was very keen to go to university.. but then we were not particularly well off and I almost had a full grant. Something unheard of these days.. where students are graduating with huge debts. 

Most if the posters on here are shall I say off a certain age.. we know life itself is pressure.. so whilst perhaps some actions by educational institutions, parents and students themselves could and should be performed to make life easier for youngsters.. life will throw them some awful events.. how do you prepare them for that.

As our dearly departed friend might point out.. to be effective and stay alive in the armed forces tough training is needed.

As it is in most areas of life. Exams tend to be one of those facts of life. I never particularly liked doing them at at times I was very worried and extremely nervous about them I did enough of them from I reckon age 16 to 24..I had a major e.g. each year.. they did not get easier.  The last exam I sat ment that my salary would double.. and we could then afford somewhere to live. No pressure...

What is the alternative.. a lot of continuous assessment now goes on (despite Goves changes).. is that better than a one off exam you cram for a few weeks beforehand?
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-08-29, 2:14 pm

The main problem with a one off exam is that it doesn't prove that you have knowledge  it just proves that you have a good short term memory.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-08-29, 3:24 pm

canary-dave wrote:The main problem with a one off exam is that it doesn't prove that you have knowledge  it just proves that you have a good short term memory.

Yep.. just about keep on top of the study during the year.. look at past exam papers and work with the teacher at question sporting.. and cram like mad for 6 weeks..

Continuous assessment is hard work all year.. unsurprisingly girls are statistically better at this than boys.. who statistics do better at exams
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-29, 4:17 pm

canary-dave wrote:The main problem with a one off exam is that it doesn't prove that you have knowledge  it just proves that you have a good short term memory.
I have heard that some people use Google  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum