SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» SIDMCFC
Today at 12:30 pm by canary-dave

» Max Stryjek
Today at 11:54 am by Silvers

» N'Dong
Today at 10:26 am by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 10:25 am by cyprussyd

» legal action
Today at 10:19 am by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 8
Today at 10:15 am by oldblackcat

» Who would have thought it
Today at 9:34 am by cyprussyd

» League Table Week 7
Today at 8:02 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 7
Today at 7:55 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Quiz 111
Yesterday at 11:44 pm by Hieronymus

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

The battle of head and heart

Go down

The battle of head and heart

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-17, 3:43 pm

Football fans in general and Sunderland fans in particular have been on a roller coaster ride for years with head and heart battling it out, this season the battle is at fever pitch.

We of course know we are a massive club with a rich history and oh how players and owners love to brag about our world class facilities, massive fan base and world class stadium.

On Sunday we take on Scunthorpe, a team not long ago we did the favour of taking our mighty team to their small ground for a pre season friendly, well its nice to help the little clubs.

All of that of course comes from the heart but the head tells a very different tale. 

We struggled for years to maintain our premier league status, changed manager more often than we changed our socks and all of our star buys, Fletcher, Johnson, Rodwell, Gyan and N'Dong to name just 5 either flopped or got themselves locked up.

We then got ourselves relegated to give us that clean slate and fresh start and built on our failure with world class failure and in truth just like our opponents on Sunday we are a division one side.

Our hearts know we will win but our heads struggle to give a logical explanation why.

We laugh at some of our new players, they are not fit to wear the shirt, they are no better than first division standard ignoring what our heads tell us, we are a first division club.

I try to be realistic, grown up and reasonable but on Sunday I know that not so deep down I will feel a little snobby, how dare this small club from a steeltown on the east coast come to our fantastic stadium daring to think they are our equals?

Well they dare because they like us are a first division club who will have the extra motivation of wanting to thrash these big heads from past glories.

Time for my head and heart to join forces and go all out to be the best first division club this season not a visiting premier league or even championship giant.

A crowd of 30,000 makes us superior but that superiority will sharp go unless we can do the business on the field. My part as a fan, your part as a fan is to ask every player to do their best and thank them for doing it. Expecting them to be premier league standard wont work because they are not that standard and we have to get used to that ASAP.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The battle of head and heart

Post  Kipper on 2018-08-17, 4:28 pm

I don't use twitter or facebook etc so I don't know if anyone is expecting us to be a prem side with prem players. I don't get hung up about what other supporters think but the ones I interact with have been very positive. For myself, I don't expect flawless displays but I do actually think we'll beat most of our opponents this year and get promoted. We have the set-up, backing, resource, manager, team and support to do that - I have every confidence in them. I accept that we are in the same league as Scunthorpe and don't think we have a God-given right to beat them, even though I think we should.

I have many colleagues who are supporters of Championship clubs (Leeds, Hull, Sheff Utd) who have tried to goad me. Doesn't work, I'm in a happy place. My club has moved on since last season and so have I. I got my season ticket like many others that have faith. Scunthorpe will be my first match of the season and by all reports it is only right that I am really looking forward to it. Attacking play with players that try hard. Bring it on. League one players? Whatever! Just what area of the pitch are we worse than last year?

There will be many teams come to the SoL that will step up a gear as they will view winning as a giant killing. A lot of players won't get many opportunities to play in a stadium like ours. That is an extra factor we need to be aware of, but hopefully we supporters can make them shit themselves. The SoL should be a fortress.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-17, 4:33 pm

Kipper wrote:I don't use twitter or facebook etc so I don't know if anyone is expecting us to be a prem side with prem players. I don't get hung up about what other supporters think but the ones I interact with have been very positive. For myself, I don't expect flawless displays but I do actually think we'll beat most of our opponents this year and get promoted. We have the set-up, backing, resource, manager, team and support to do that - I have every confidence in them. I accept that we are in the same league as Scunthorpe and don't think we have a God-given right to beat them, even though I think we should.

I have many colleagues who are supporters of Championship clubs (Leeds, Hull, Sheff Utd) who have tried to goad me. Doesn't work, I'm in a happy place. My club has moved on since last season and so have I. I got my season ticket like many others that have faith. Scunthorpe will be my first match of the season and by all reports it is only right that I am really looking forward to it. Attacking play with players that try hard. Bring it on. League one players? Whatever! Just what area of the pitch are we worse than last year?

There will be many teams come to the SoL that will step up a gear as they will view winning as a giant killing. A lot of players won't get many opportunities to play in a stadium like ours. That is an extra factor we need to be aware of, but hopefully we supporters can make them shit themselves. The SoL should be a fortress.
APPL APPL

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-08-17, 7:39 pm

Good OP Syd and a good reponse Kipper. Not much to add except anybody any idea what the music will be this Sunday? Will it change? Will it be the same?
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-17, 7:49 pm

gil t azell wrote:Good OP Syd and a good reponse Kipper. Not much to add except anybody any idea what the music will be this Sunday? Will it change? Will it be the same?
well last night was the same,I think, all just a din to me, bring back

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum