SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» FA Cup 1st round draw Monday.
Today at 8:51 pm by barrowmackem

»  Shrewsbury Town v Sunderland AFC
Today at 6:40 pm by Vincemac

» It's been a rollercoaster journey..
Today at 1:56 pm by Vincemac

» rape and death threats
Today at 11:53 am by cyprussyd

» Saturday is back
Today at 10:12 am by Hieronymus

» Predictions Week 12
Today at 8:24 am by oldblackcat

» Results Week 9
Yesterday at 9:20 pm by Mackemneil

» Predictions Mid week 12
Yesterday at 9:18 pm by Mackemneil

» League Table Week 11
Yesterday at 6:24 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» BBC are Tory donors
Yesterday at 5:30 pm by cyprussyd

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

What would your choice be?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What would your choice be?

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-01, 11:30 am

Stewart Donald confirmed this week that the club were working towards naming one of the stands at the SoL after a Sunderland legend.

Who would your choice be?

Some suggestions

• THE BRADLEY LOWERY STAND
  • THE BOB MURRAY STAND
  • THE NIALL QUINN STAND
  • THE KEVIN PHILLIPS STAND
  • THE BOBBY KERR STAND
  • THE JIMMY MONTGOMERY STAND
  • THE RAICH CARTER STAND
  • THE IAN PORTERFIELD STAND

Personally I would rather not have a Bradley Lowery stand but feel The Bradley Lowery Family Enclosure would be more fitting.

For me it would be THE BOB MURRAY STAND in recognition for his vision in building the stadium plus his work with the foundation.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What would your choice be?

Post  Lever Malone on 2018-08-01, 11:55 am

I agree that it should not be the Bradley Lowery Stand because, although he got us a lot of publicity, I think it should be someone associated with SAFC as a player or on the administrative side of the club.

Therefore my vote would be for the Jimmy Montgomery Stand. He is the player who made most appearances for the club with a total of 627 (537 in the league) and served as a goalkeeper coach and a club representative after his career finished. Because of that I think he deserves the honour.
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2018-08-01, 1:05 pm

I would like it to be The Sir Robert Murray Stand 'cos he built (or arranged the building of) The Stadium and he is a massive part of our history and The Stadium [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I also agree that it definitely should not be named after young Bradley.
Gordon Armstrong
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  black fox on 2018-08-01, 1:31 pm

ive never made any secret of the fact that the great len shacklton is my favourite  player of all time so my choise would be shack,if my dear old was alive he would vote for raich carter. but he;been dead a long time so im overruling him.

Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2018-08-01, 2:15 pm

Sir Bob Murray stand for me
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-08-01, 5:39 pm

Rovertsafc wrote:Sir Bob Murray stand for me

Yep that works for me

Bradley Lowery for kids enclosure
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-08-01, 6:09 pm

Bob Murray stand and Bradley Lowery family enclose for me like
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2018-08-01, 7:09 pm

Sir Bob Murray stand without doubt!!!

Others, Charlie Hurley as our player of the century, 
Bobby Kerr, Monty, Porterfield and Stokoe for FACup, but they are recognised elsewhere

and agree about young Bradley
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2018-08-01, 7:26 pm

Kevin Ball not on that list?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  lesmac on 2018-08-01, 7:27 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
Rovertsafc wrote:Sir Bob Murray stand for me

Yep that works for me

Bradley Lowery for kids enclosure

like like like
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-08-01, 7:29 pm

Unquestionably in my mind is has to be a tribute to the work Bob Murray did during his tenure.

Building the current stadium and all of the supporting infrastructure i.e. Academy etc... was  a very brave move  and most importantly he did it on a shoestring.

He may have had his critics as a chairman but I'm not one, I think he was a humble man with a genuine passion and vision for the club who simply didn't want to risk the future of SAFC by spending money we didn't have.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-01, 7:29 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:Kevin Ball not on that list?
He may be now

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-08-01, 8:38 pm

Argus wrote:Unquestionably in my mind is has to be a tribute to the work Bob Murray did during his tenure.

Building the current stadium and all of the supporting infrastructure i.e. Academy etc... was  a very brave move  and most importantly he did it on a shoestring.

He may have had his critics as a chairman but I'm not one, I think he was a humble man with a genuine passion and vision for the club who simply didn't want to risk the future of SAFC by spending money we didn't have.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-08-01, 8:47 pm

Argus wrote:Unquestionably in my mind is has to be a tribute to the work Bob Murray did during his tenure.

Good post.

I wasnt his biggest fan at the time when I believed we had a genuine chance of getting to Europe if he had released funds but in hindsight he did a bloody good job.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-08-01, 11:29 pm

Am torn between Bob Murray and Charlie....
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-08-02, 10:11 am

Silvers wrote:Am torn between Bob Murray and Charlie....

But hasn't Charlie has already been recognised at the training centre?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-08-02, 10:11 am

Silvers wrote:Am torn between Bob Murray and Charlie....

But hasn't Charlie has already been recognised at the training centre?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2018-08-02, 10:32 am

The Charlie Hurley centre (not the AOL of course) is to be sold for housing development last I read.
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-02, 10:43 am

Silvers wrote:
The Charlie Hurley centre (not the AOL of course) is to be sold for housing development last I read.
And now a very unfitting tribute to Charlie

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2018-08-02, 10:47 am

Those in an administrative role during my life time:

Bob Murray
Niall Quinn

Managers:

Bob Stokoe
Peter Reid

Players:

Charlie Hurley
Ian Porterfield
Jimmy Montgomery
Bobby Kerr
Kevin Phillips
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-08-02, 10:52 am

Mackemneil wrote:Those in an administrative role during my life time:

Bob Murray
Niall Quinn

Managers:

Bob Stokoe
Peter Reid

Players:

Charlie Hurley
Ian Porterfield
Jimmy Montgomery
Bobby Kerr
Kevin Phillips
All worthy
However my choice would be 
Charlie Hurley
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-08-03, 12:34 pm

Great article in the Times about Bob Murray..If someone in the know can copy it?

I did not know Short did not make him welcome!
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-08-03, 1:02 pm

sunderpitt wrote:Great article in the Times about Bob Murray..If someone in the know can copy it?

I did not know Short did not make him welcome!
Their paywall is in the way! It is by George Caulkin so maybe the local Echo or Chronicle will pick it up in a day or so. Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Gordon Armstrong on 2018-08-03, 1:26 pm

Sir Bob Murray: ‘Sunderland have had a great theatre – but no good actors’

The man who built the Stadium of Light says that ‘tremendous results’ are possible in the North East

George Caulkin, Northern Sports Correspondent

August 3rd, 2018, 12:01am, The Times

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Murray claims that he was not made welcome at Sunderland last season

Sir Bob Murray was back on Wearside this week to meet the new owners of the club that he once owned . . . . the club that he reconstructed. Bob the Builder, they call him, and even as Sunderland have crumbled during these past few years, this miner’s son, this steelworker’s son, who was taken to Roker Park by Sydney, his dad, for the first time in 1955 and would later knock it down, was erecting concrete and glass in the shadow of the Stadium of Light.

Next month, the Beacon of Light, the new home of Sunderland’s foundation, will officially open its doors. Getting to this point has been a strain, emotionally and financially, but at a club who, in sporting terms, are at their lowest ebb, excellence thrives.

That's all that's available without subscription, Pitty, but he hopes for and expects great things, apparently [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gordon Armstrong
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-08-03, 1:55 pm

Sir Bob Murray was back on Wearside this week to meet the new owners of the club he once owned, the club he reconstructed. Bob the Builder, they call him, and even as Sunderland have crumbled these past few years, this miner’s son, this steelworker’s son, who was taken to Roker Park by Sydney, his dad, for the first time in 1955 and would later knock it down, was erecting concrete and glass in the shadow of the Stadium of Light.
Next month, the Beacon of Light, the new home of Sunderland’s foundation, will officially open its doors. Getting to this point has been a strain, emotionally and financially, but at a club who, in sporting terms, are at their lowest ebb, excellence thrives. Hope blossoms. Within these walls, up 73 steps — a nod to the club’s FA Cup win in 1973 — lives will improve.
Sunderland are at home to Charlton Athletic tomorrow in Sky Bet League One, consumed by change, surrounded by the unknown.
It is only the second season in their history that they have played in the third tier and Murray oversaw the first, in 1987-88. “I’d bought a busted flush,” he says. “I bought a club three times over its overdraft limit. I inherited a failed manager in Lawrie McMenemy and a team travelling south so quickly it was untrue.”
Back then Sunderland’s facilities were remedial. Roker was “broken down, condemned,” Murray says. In one of their final matches before relegation, they attracted a crowd of 8,544 and “our supporters actually cheered Sheffield United, which I fully understood. That was McMenemy’s last game. That was what we had.
“We had no training ground. The players would come in to Roker to get changed. They would drive themselves up to Cleadon, one field, two goalposts, no trees, no running water. Mud. Then back in their cars to Roker to sit in the same bath to get washed.”
By the time Murray sold out in 2006, for an almost nominal £5.7 million, Sunderland were transformed. The Stadium of Light has a capacity of about 49,000 and “the legacy is that it can go to 66,000,” Murray says. “It’ll happen one day.” Jordan Henderson and Jordan Pickford, future England players, were in the youth system. The Academy of Light remains a plush, bespoke training ground.
“We took a very old, very male club and we changed it,” Murray says. “We had more women season ticket-holders as a percentage than any other club in Britain, the youngest average age crowd.”

Sunderland now have a hungry, young manager in Ross, and positivity is budding[size=12]IAN HORROCKS/GETTY IMAGES

The buildings still stand, the supporters still come — remarkably, more than 22,000 season tickets have been sold this summer — yet look at Sunderland now. “It’s unthinkable we can be in this position,” Murray says. “We’ve got a wonderful fanbase — proper, passionate, loud people — and a fantastic stadium. What a theatre that is. It’s just that the actors haven’t been very good.”
If Murray was Sunderland’s great builder then Ellis Short is the architect of their decline; all that churn in the dugout, the veering between systems, the tired escapes in the Premier League, learning nothing.
With Short gone, positivity is budding; Stewart Donald, Murray’s latest successor, has re-engaged with fans, 11 new players have arrived and they have a hungry, young manager in Jack Ross.
What happens next, nobody can predict, but a weight has lifted. Ross calls it a “a new beginning”. Has Murray been going to matches? There is a pained silence. “I saw three games last season,” Sunderland’s life president says finally. “They coincided with trustee meetings for the Beacon and I saw them in a friend’s box because Ellis Short made it absolutely plain he didn’t want me at the club.”
What? Why? “I’ve got no idea.” Does he have suspicions? “Somebody suggested it was jealousy, but I don’t know. Some people just don’t get it in life. They might have a lot of money, but they don’t get it.”
That must have been upsetting? “I’ve been a supporter for 63 years and I spent 20 at the club, not for any gain personally but to put something back,” Murray says. “I care deeply about it.
“To be told you’re not welcome did hit the spot for me and Sue, my wife. Whatever I’d done, she’s been party to. We’ve both put a lot into the city. Sometimes it’s taken me away from her. When things have been bad, I’ve brought them home. There have been a few tears. It was like a bereavement.”
Unlike the team, the Foundation of Light, which Murray established in 2001, has a stellar reputation. The relationship between the club and their registered charity should be umbilical. “We’re desperate for one,” Murray insists. “But the football club, at a time when it’s been owned by a billionaire, has not given one penny towards the Beacon.”
And financing a £20 million project was an issue. “It’s been really difficult,” Murray says. “In October 2016, we’d got to £14 million and had a big decision to make about whether we’d actually do it or not do it. The Adam Johnson affair [the former England winger was found guilty of sexual activity with a child], was a big blow. People were starting to ask for their money back. We pushed forward knowing we didn’t have the cash.”

As Murray says, “it’s history now”. Donald wants to be involved and the Beacon is a gleaming testament to getting things done. About 250,000 people will visit the building each year, a hub for sport, health and employment. There are six classrooms, children excluded from mainstream eduction will be taught, Nissan has a presence, there is a Jamie Oliver kitchen, outdoor five-a-side pitches, a 4G pitch on the roof. It is a beautiful, inspiring space that is open to the public.
“I’ve seen the power of education, how it changes and enhances lives,” Murray says. “My dad was a Sunderland coal miner who moved to Consett Steel Works. That’s where I was born in 1946. Nobody thought about moving away back then, but I was one of the ones who didn’t get into the works. I was unemployed for a year and that was horrendous. I felt like I’d let my parents down.
“At the age of 15, I had a 46-inch waist. I didn’t know that eating certain things was bad. I didn’t know that smoking was bad. I was no good with my hands, I’d left school with one qualification. I threw myself into education, became an office boy, qualified as an accountant. I became a three-hour marathon runner in my late thirties. It just shows what you’re capable of when you put your mind to it, when you put the work in. I’m not a very clever lad, but I’m diligent.”
Beside the Beacon, there is an Olympic-standard swimming pool, a Hilton hotel, both enticed there by Murray, who was also the project director for St George’s Park. “People up here, they just need a chance, a bit of help,” he says. “Help them on the way and you can have tremendous results.”
In some respects, Sunderland have everything, in others they have nothing, but Murray has done his bit, in brick and mortar.
Time now for the team to start winning.[/size]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum