SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Results Week 11
Yesterday at 11:53 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» The Tour De France Trophy stolen
Yesterday at 10:04 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Spain v England
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Pub Quiz
Yesterday at 6:54 pm by cyprussyd

» Maja
Yesterday at 4:33 pm by Silvers

» Predictions Mid week 12
Yesterday at 4:28 pm by Silvers

» Predictions Week 12
Yesterday at 4:23 pm by Silvers

» League Table Week 11
Yesterday at 1:42 pm by Derro Jimmy

» Results Mid week 9
Yesterday at 12:20 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Settle down now.
2018-10-14, 7:45 pm by canary-dave

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Day out at St Mirren

Go down

Day out at St Mirren

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-07-22, 5:32 pm

As soon as Sunderland announced a friendly with St Mirren I arranged a trip to Scotland to see my oldest son and the grandbabes with the intention of combining the match and having some nice family time......little did I know St Mirren's ground was the opposite side of Scotland to Edinburgh Laughing

Anyway we travelled to Paisley (near Glasgow) to take in the game....we arrived in Paisley and hit a wetherspoons pub for breakfast and a beer (dis appointed because reading a review it said no colours were allowed in the pub,yet when we arrived several red and white shirts were on show)

On the way to the game I met Carl (aka Froggy on here ..not posted for a while) and had a good chat on the walk to the stadium

Arriving at the ground (situated between a housing estate and an industrial estate)we made our way to the north stand and passed Kevin Ball who was near the stand/turnstile and was chatting/interacting with fans who approached him. Inside was a small modern smart and impressive stadium...must admit I liked it

The team was announced and surprisingly no trialists were on show for us but we could recognise most of the players as their names were announced

The first half we kicked off defending the goal our supporters were behind.

It was a good first half Sunderland playing some good football and dominating the game although St Mirren probably had the best chance to score first, but a good save from an overhead kick by Mc Loughlin (that how you spell it?) kept us in the game...shortly after Maja scored and a penalty from Gooch gave us a 2-0 lead at half time.

At the start of the second half St Mirren came out attacking but gradually we took control and knocked the ball around well and the goals started to flow in...most of the Sunderland subs came in the last 10 mins or so whereas St Mirren made several from halftime and throughout the second half

I must admit I was surprised how well we played...we knocked the ball around with confidence (although we overplayed imo a couple of times on the edge of our box nearly gifting St Mirren a couple of good chances to score) and controlled the majority of the game....of the new lads we have signed  Mc gee och....(as our scottish friends say is the right way to prenounce his name) looks the best and thankfully the keeper looks confident and competent....and ALL the players, not just the new signings ran their socks off

Although I have stuck up for him in the past the worst player for us was Cattermole....not really sure where he was meant to play...I think he was playing further forward on the left of midfield (probably not his best position tbh) but looked a little out of form?/off the pace for me but plugged away non the less

For the first time in quite a while I had an enjoyable time watching the lads....I like the way Jack Ross has set up us to play and if he can add the better players he's after I can only see good things ahead...but let's not get carried away, a sterner test awaits us next week when we play the Boro...we may get a better gauge of how thing look then....but until then my glass is more than half full...and I'm quite excited for the season ahead 

Btw watch the highlights on SAFC.com....well worth it Very Happy
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Day out at St Mirren

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-07-22, 5:55 pm

Good match report OBC. Glad you enjoyed your day. Let's hope all of us have many more enjoyable days in the coming season Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-22, 6:35 pm

oldblackcat wrote:As soon as Sunderland announced a friendly with St Mirren I arranged a trip to Scotland to see my oldest son and the grandbabes with the intention of combining the match and having some nice family time......little did I know St Mirren's ground was the opposite side of Scotland to Edinburgh Laughing

Anyway we travelled to Paisley (near Glasgow) to take in the game....we arrived in Paisley and hit a wetherspoons pub for breakfast and a beer (dis appointed because reading a review it said no colours were allowed in the pub,yet when we arrived several red and white shirts were on show)

On the way to the game I met Carl (aka Froggy on here ..not posted for a while) and had a good chat on the walk to the stadium

Arriving at the ground (situated between a housing estate and an industrial estate)we made our way to the north stand and passed Kevin Ball who was near the stand/turnstile and was chatting/interacting with fans who approached him. Inside was a small modern smart and impressive stadium...must admit I liked it

The team was announced and surprisingly no trialists were on show for us but we could recognise most of the players as their names were announced

The first half we kicked off defending the goal our supporters were behind.

It was a good first half Sunderland playing some good football and dominating the game although St Mirren probably had the best chance to score first, but a good save from an overhead kick by Mc Loughlin (that how you spell it?) kept us in the game...shortly after Maja scored and a penalty from Gooch gave us a 2-0 lead at half time.

At the start of the second half St Mirren came out attacking but gradually we took control and knocked the ball around well and the goals started to flow in...most of the Sunderland subs came in the last 10 mins or so whereas St Mirren made several from halftime and throughout the second half

I must admit I was surprised how well we played...we knocked the ball around with confidence (although we overplayed imo a couple of times on the edge of our box nearly gifting St Mirren a couple of good chances to score) and controlled the majority of the game....of the new lads we have signed  Mc gee och....(as our scottish friends say is the right way to prenounce his name) looks the best and thankfully the keeper looks confident and competent....and ALL the players, not just the new signings ran their socks off

Although I have stuck up for him in the past the worst player for us was Cattermole....not really sure where he was meant to play...I think he was playing further forward on the left of midfield (probably not his best position tbh) but looked a little out of form?/off the pace for me but plugged away non the less

For the first time in quite a while I had an enjoyable time watching the lads....I like the way Jack Ross has set up us to play and if he can add the better players he's after I can only see good things ahead...but let's not get carried away, a sterner test awaits us next week when we play the Boro...we may get a better gauge of how thing look then....but until then my glass is more than half full...and I'm quite excited for the season ahead 

Btw watch the highlights on SAFC.com....well worth it Very Happy
Excellent report my boy and Froggy is a very nice man with a job that earns my respect.

I like how things are shaping up, I'm enjoying pre season and watching the squad develop and have my usual glass full to the brim.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-07-23, 12:09 am

This close season has gone on long enough now, and for all we had the diversion of the world cup I can't wait for a start to another season.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-23, 12:39 am

Nostalgic wrote:This close season has gone on long enough now, and for all we had the diversion of the world cup I can't wait for a start to another season.
Not long now Noz, a week to get a couple of strikers, what should be a good game against Boro then the weeks build up to Charleton and my posh new red seat.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum