SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Max Stryjek
Today at 12:25 am by cyprussyd

» Predictions Week 8
Yesterday at 11:50 pm by Hieronymus

» Quiz 111
Yesterday at 11:44 pm by Hieronymus

» legal action
Yesterday at 8:48 pm by Vincemac

» SIDMCFC
Yesterday at 8:10 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Yesterday at 7:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Am i imagining this
Yesterday at 7:46 pm by Vincemac

» lucky lucky me
Yesterday at 3:22 pm by Silvers

» N'Dong
Yesterday at 3:21 pm by Silvers

» Who would have thought it
2018-09-20, 6:40 pm by cyprussyd

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Not just another Pickford article

Go down

Not just another Pickford article

Post  Kipper on 2018-07-10, 12:44 pm

Sorry I couldn't paste the content:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Neville Southall - loving your work.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Not just another Pickford article

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-07-10, 1:59 pm

Kipper wrote:Sorry I couldn't paste the content:

Neville Southall - loving your work.

sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-10, 2:37 pm

Its strange how two Sunderland lads who have both left us are still ours and those working class roots are a lot to do with it.

Both had to leave us, neither I guess wanted to but both are the consummate professional and they understood how their careers could only develop by moving on.

But both arr mackems at heart and here on SunderMad we have members who have moved on, out of the area and indeed out of the country but however far they go they cant stop being mackems, they keep coming back and feeling the pain and occasionally the pleasure of being a mackem.

I'm sure the two Jordans dream of returning before hanging up their boots and gracing the green green grass of home for one last time in red and white and how welcome  they will be.

How good will that be,two knights of the realm playing for our club.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-07-10, 9:59 pm

Jordan Pickford has one question to ask himself – how good does he want to be?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jordan Pickford

England’s success is partly because they have gone back to working-class values and Pickford can become the best in the world if he has the right mindset

Neville Southall
Mon 9 Jul 2018 23.31 BSTFirst published on Mon 9 Jul 2018 21.19 BST

Shares

Jordan Pickford is chased by his teammates after he made the decisive save in the penalty shootout against Colombia. Photograph: Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Getty Images
In a week when we have to endure Donald Trump visiting Britain, while we watch this government of losers falling apart over Brexit, I am taking heart from the fact that England can win the World Cup. Jordan Pickford is a huge part of this belief and the growth of the England goalkeeper and his team under Gareth Southgate gives me so much more hope than all these shoddy politicians.
Who gives you more belief that they know what they’re doing? Gareth Southgate or Theresa May? Who would you rather meet? A bright young goalkeeper like Pickford, who is turning out to be very special in this World Cup, or Trump? We’ve got so much shit going on in the world and yet our government are reportedly spending £30m on bringing a complete idiot in Trump over here. The Trump balloon they are flying over London has probably got more intelligence than him. So I am very happy to concentrate on Southgate and Pickford.

A toast to Raheem Sterling, the crucial cog who embodies a selfless England
Richard Williams

Read more

I always thought England had a chance in this World Cup because of Harry Kane. If you have a top goal‑scorer you’re halfway there. But Pickford is making a real difference. If you have a goalkeeper who is making great saves at the right time, you have a massive chance.
England now have a goalkeeper who looks as if he believes they can win the World Cup. He takes pressure really well, so England are looking increasingly solid and showing real belief. The confidence of Pickford and the back-three is immense. People really trust him now and he has got better as the tournament has gone on.
Everything starts at the back and England have become more convincing as they have defended better. Pickford has been crucial. He marshals his defence well, his kicking is better than it was last season for Everton and he has a good understanding with his defence. This World Cup has proved he can be a top-class keeper.
There have been games where he’s not had to do much and then all of a sudden he’s made a great save. Remember that terrific last‑minute save against Colombia? That was exceptional because he had hardly been tested the previous 89 minutes. Then, out of nowhere, he produced a save like that. It tells me his concentration is really good and his technique is great. His spring is also good. Thibaut Courtois, the Belgium keeper, said Pickford is too short. But would a 6ft 6in keeper have made that save against Colombia? I’m not sure. I don’t think a big keeper’s spring would be as good. He would not be as fast across the ground. I also like the fact that every time Pickford makes a save he is up and ready for the next one.

Jordan Pickford saves Carlos Bacca’s penalty as England defeated Colombia on penalties. Photograph: Koji Watanabe/Getty Images
People say he had a mixed season at Everton but the team in front of him meant he was far too busy and people tend to remember his mistakes. Whenever I went back to my old club he did well and he actually won player of the year at Everton.

Neville Southall: ‘I’ve got a bit of flak because I stick up for sex workers’

Read more

Jordan has to ask himself only one question now. How good does he want to be? If he wants to be the best in the world, then he must go for it because he’s got the tools to do it. He just needs to keep working hard, have some luck, stay clear of injuries and have the mindset of a top‑drawer goalkeeper. If people leave him alone, he’ll be England’s No 1 for the next 10 years.
He could also become a World Cup winner on Sunday. I’m not sure things will be quite as favourable next time. So this is England’s big chance to write their names down in history. I fancy their chances because Kane is due a goal and Pickford is getting better and better, so you have two ends of the pitch where you are in great shape.
Would anyone fancy penalties against England and Pickford now? Not really. Croatia are definitely beatable in the semi-finals and then England would face a very good team in the final. But France and Belgium are far from invincible.
At least Southgate is in charge. Imagine if Theresa May was managing Pickford and England? She is not calm and collected. She’s weak. Are you telling me other people didn’t know David Davis or Boris Johnson were going to resign? How could Davis came out and say May is a good prime minister when he’s resigned?

Southgate would do a far better job of handling Brexit than Mrs May because he would create the right environment. He would create winners. She’s gathered a bunch of losers around her. She has our future in our hands and she’s ruining it. Do you think Alex Ferguson would let these losers around her do what they’re doing? They’d be out quicker than they could say Hard Brexit. But he’s a winner. Unfortunately, she’s a loser.

Insults and lower leagues prepared Jordan Pickford for World Cup

Read more

England’s football team have a winner in charge. Southgate’s got a great young goalkeeper, a fine goalscorer and a very happy team who want to play for him. Southgate has put his faith in Pickford who has seen a lot of non-league and lower division football. It’s good experience. The lower down you start, the more you realise what it means at the grassroots. You also see how hard you have to work to get to the top. It instils a good work ethic from the bottom up. If you start from the top you don’t always realise how hard it is be successful. Pickford and Southgate’s England understand.
More than any other team in recent times they’ve gone back to working-class values. They’re working hard as a team, running for each other, not caring about their own careers but putting the team first. Yes, they’ve won a few games but their values are more important. You give everything for your team. There’s nothing about the individual star.
These are old-fashioned values that people don’t see in football anymore. They’re prepared to get hurt. They’re prepared to block tackles. They’re prepared to put their head in and their foot in. They don’t moan at each other. They get up and get on with it. They show passion. They show commitment. More than anything they show honesty. Once you’ve got all that you have every chance of achieving.
The contrast with politics is obvious. If you look at politicians they don’t have any of these values. England and Pickford, under Southgate, have this humility, honesty, dedication and a straight work ethic. That’s why people take to them.
Southgate has even got it right with the waistcoat. You always need a pocket to keep your medal. Gareth’s waistcoat could soon be carrying a World Cup medal – and Pickford can play a huge role in making that happen.
Neville Southall, the former Everton and Wales goalkeeper, spoke to Donald McRae

Since you’re here…

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. The Guardian’s editorial independence means our only agenda is to provide trustworthy reporting for our readers around the world. Facts are sacred; so is our independence. So you can see why we need to ask for your help.
The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.  

For as little as £1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Support The Guardian

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Teessidemakem on 2018-07-11, 4:14 am

Teessidemakem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-11, 7:37 am

Teessidemakem wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Every article follows the same theme, a nice down to earth young man who is just getting better and better, and he is one of us.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-07-11, 10:31 am

Love this article. Football and politics my two favourite subjects.

(Everything today is tinged with sadness though)
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum