SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Just an observation
Today at 12:24 am by cyprussyd

» Maguire
Today at 12:23 am by cyprussyd

» Watmore
Today at 12:19 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 12:10 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» N'Dong
Today at 12:07 am by Silvers

» Max Stryjek
Yesterday at 11:59 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» legal action
Yesterday at 11:34 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Hero's and Villains
Yesterday at 8:31 pm by Silvers

» MOTM today
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by Kipper

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 6:42 pm by sunderpitt

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Pickford,Henderson & Sunderland.

Go down

Pickford,Henderson & Sunderland.

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-08, 8:01 am

All the England players deserve loads of credit for their performance but it's natural for us mackems to concentrate on two of our own, two mackems who may have moved on but who are still proud to be mackems.

I cant begin to appreciate what will be going on in their heads, especially Pickfords head. Just a few short seasons ago he was playing at Preston, a young keeper learning his trade and a still young man with the world at his feet. The few doubters who could not wait to turn on him after the Belgium game  have been silenced big time and right now Picks can do no wrong. Against Sweden he had a quite game with no real saves to make and then, three world class saves in a row and saves made with no apparent effort, he just makes them.

Henderson has had to battle hard in his career and his Liverpool future looked in doubt for a while but he dug deep and is now being recognized and even called world class from Mr Shearer, praise indeed.

Of course this rubs a wee bit of salt in our mackem wounds, two of our own are heading upwards in their careers and the club that help make them is preparing for life in division one. Add in the ex and even present footballers who are playing in the world cup and the question swirls round in our heads, how did this happen?

Shorts tenure did not help but blaming Short alone is an easy hit, but the problem is much deeper and long standing that putting it all down to Short. We have been a club in turmoil for years and seemed to live on our sleeping giant big club image, an image that has been strong in mackem land but untrue everywhere else. The now famous comment of Charlie Methven that Sunderland reputation outside of Sunderland has been of a club to go to to take the piss and by have many, many players, agents, directors of football and CeO's enjoyed taking the piss.

Forget pink seats and players, the most important message from the new owners was that the piss taking days are over.

Selling Henderson for 20 mil was good business at the time but not re investing that 20 mil was bad and only to be repeated  when we got 30 mil for Pickford. We cant expect to keep players of this quality until we are a top 6 premier club and that right now is light years way. We can and should however capitalize on any new stars, Asor for instance, by demanding top dollar for any sale and then investing any profits in the clubs future and like it or not the clubs future will be determined by good financial management yes, good facilities yes, nice new seats yes but the bottom line at any football club will be the right players at the right time with the right attitude giving their all for the club.

Are the present England team the best set of players we have had, no but they are the best team with the best attitude pulling together for the team.

Many hearts sank when Southgate was named manager, a man who was sacked by Middlesbrough, a man with little indeed no international experience. I dont hear any complaints now because his manmanagement and tactics are reaping their rewards, lets hope and pray that Jack Ross will do the same for Sunderland, early indications are positive and encouraging.

The saying is that talk is cheap, Ross, Methven and Donald are talking a good game and good future and yes talk is cheap but right now talk is all we have and I like the talk I am hearing.

The world cup feel good factor is, IMO, bringing an unexpected boost to Sunderland and the success of two very passionate mackems can only be a good thing for our club and its future. Pickford and Henderson have shown the footballing world and the younger players in particular that staying and learning your trade at Sunderland is not a backward step but if you are good enough it can be the springboard to bigger and better things, maybe even national hero status.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pickford,Henderson & Sunderland.

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-07-08, 10:07 am

Yep changing how we do things.. players who are brought in and those we need let go is a start 

Our former owner was not a footballing man, he was Texan for God's sake.. he did not have a clue and we had too managers who brought in too many odd players who hardly ever left.. leaving us with a strange collection of a squad.

Getting rid of Roswell et  al is the start..
 Who we are and what we do will change the image of a boozy could not care less attitude.. it will take time.

It is a pity that the Jordons are not part of it.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-07-08, 10:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-07-08, 4:11 pm

Good post Syd and your last paragraph says it all for me.

No new player should feel that coming to Sunderland will be a backward step in his career - our two Jordan's have proved it can be the start of great achievements.

I am loving this world cup and loving that two local lads are the stars of the show.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-07-08, 11:19 pm

What I like about the squad is that they are relatively new, not held back by 2014 or 2016 setbacks and are just playing British style football without being weighed down by so-called class players.

Every one of us "lower" clubs should be proud of these lads that we have developed for bigger clubs.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-07-27, 1:17 pm

On Sky Sports News now that Chelsea are supposed to be preparing a bid for Jordan Pickford.

The sky’s the limit for such a young lad (goalkeeper wise)
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum