SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Just an observation
Today at 12:24 am by cyprussyd

» Maguire
Today at 12:23 am by cyprussyd

» Watmore
Today at 12:19 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 12:10 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» N'Dong
Today at 12:07 am by Silvers

» Max Stryjek
Yesterday at 11:59 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» legal action
Yesterday at 11:34 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Hero's and Villains
Yesterday at 8:31 pm by Silvers

» MOTM today
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by Kipper

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 6:42 pm by sunderpitt

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

I know some are underwhelmed.

Go down

I know some are underwhelmed.

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-29, 4:41 pm

And honestly I sort of get it, division 1, stars out, unknown arriving, manager with no experience down here, a massive culture shock.

Gone for now are the days of looking through the gossip pages for big names, international stars and its easy to get carried away with the feel good factor with Short finally gone. Add in the news that Rodwell is no more a Sunderland player and we pinch ourselves.

There is lots of excitement and again that's understandable with any new start after the seasons we have endured but it's not the excitement that excites me, if that makes sense, its far more basic.

It's

Listening to the enthusiasm and pride our new signings have at joining Sunderland.
Listening to players like Ethan Robson and how he cant wait to get started.
Looking forward to the new players impressing me rather than the big signings disappointing me, again.

Over the past few seasons many have said they would prefer watching Sunday park football than overpaid who dont give a shit, well we won't be watching that but we will hopefully be watching players who do care playing with pride. 

I dont for one moment expect a walk over and winning every game, a new team will take time and mistakes will be made but I do expect a successful season.

Now there are words we dont normally associate with Sunderland.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I know some are underwhelmed.

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-06-29, 6:54 pm

Well I'm not underwhelmed..........once EVERYONE realises we aren't a premier club anymore and we won't be splashing out millions on players (for quite a while anyway) they will hopefully see the re-birth of a famous club...OUR club

Am I bothered that I have to google some of the names of the players that we are linked with?....no
Am I bothered that most of last season's players don't want to be here?.....not really most of them brought my team to the depths of the third division
I'm not even bothered that we're playing in the third division anymore

I love the enthusiasm of our new owners
I love the enthusiasm of our new manager
I love the new vision of the club
I love that the players that we are signing want to play for the club

For once in a long while I'm actually looking forward with excitement for the new season.....things aren't going to be easy,far from it...we're still a big club and a big scalp for the other teams in this league and it's not going to be easy to get out of it, but we're going to have a team that grafts and fights for everything and I'm really looking forward watching neat seasons games

My first glimpse of the start of our new team will be at St Mirren and I can't wait for it bounce ack
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-29, 7:29 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Well I'm not underwhelmed..........once EVERYONE realises we aren't a premier club anymore and we won't be splashing out millions on players (for quite a while anyway) they will hopefully see the re-birth of a famous club...OUR club

Am I bothered that I have to google some of the names of the players that we are linked with?....no
Am I bothered that most of last season's players don't want to be here?.....not really most of them brought my team to the depths of the third division
I'm not even bothered that we're playing in the third division anymore

I love the enthusiasm of our new owners
I love the enthusiasm of our new manager
I love the new vision of the club
I love that the players that we are signing want to play for the club

For once in a long while I'm actually looking forward with excitement for the new season.....things aren't going to be easy,far from it...we're still a big club and a big scalp for the other teams in this league and it's not going to be easy to get out of it, but we're going to have a team that grafts and fights for everything and I'm really looking forward watching neat seasons games

My first glimpse of the start of our new team will be at St Mirren and I can't wait for it bounce ack
APPL APPL APPL

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-06-29, 8:55 pm

Some lovey words to explain our present situation, but I hope your enjoyment and enthusiasm for our current situation remains throughout the coming season.  Like you, I too want all that is best for our club, but what I fear for is the longer term future which I have outlined in the Catts thread before I saw this one, and I do not intend to repeat them except to add that how many youngsters will be attracted to join an unambitious club?

PS: read Denis Smith up on Wiki when we went through similar circumstances.  He was a manager with a load more experience of  English football and his time was furnace hot.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-06-29, 11:50 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Some lovey words to explain our present situation, but I hope your enjoyment and enthusiasm for our current situation remains throughout the coming season.  Like you, I too want all that is best for our club, but what I fear for isnOh cheer up the longer term future which I have outlined in the Catts thread before I saw this one, and I do not intend to repeat them except to add that how many youngsters will be attracted to join an unambitious club?

PS: read Denis Smith up on Wiki when we went through similar circumstances.  He was a manager with a load more experience of  English football and his time was furnace hot.
Oh cheer up. Th  players we are signing look good for this league and with our youngsters we will win this league. As we mov  on the squa  will b  replenish  as necessary. It's called a transfer window - something I think our new owner gets a bit more than Short. Be negative if you like. If you have no hope nowyou never will. There's  to be positive about
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-06-30, 5:36 am

Kipper wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Some lovey words to explain our present situation, but I hope your enjoyment and enthusiasm for our current situation remains throughout the coming season.  Like you, I too want all that is best for our club, but what I fear for isnOh cheer up the longer term future which I have outlined in the Catts thread before I saw this one, and I do not intend to repeat them except to add that how many youngsters will be attracted to join an unambitious club?

Oh cheer up. Th  players we are signing look good for this league and with our youngsters we will win this league. As we mov  on the squa  will b  replenish  as necessary. It's called a transfer window - something I think our new owner gets a bit more than Short. Be negative if you like. If you have no hope nowyou never will. There's  to be positive about  like like

Nos, you really need to get out more & stop reading & quoting Wikipedia. I'll let you into a world wide secret thats obviously missed you, ANYONE can edit the bloody thing!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-06-30, 7:13 am

To sum up "The only way is up" ?
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-06-30, 8:44 am

What OBC said.

PS, been on the lash so will take me a day or two to catch up on the posts.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-06-30, 10:25 am

Nostalgic wrote:Some lovey words to explain our present situation, but I hope your enjoyment and enthusiasm for our current situation remains throughout the coming season.  Like you, I too want all that is best for our club, but what I fear for is the longer term future which I have outlined in the Catts thread before I saw this one, and I do not intend to repeat them except to add that how many youngsters will be attracted to join an unambitious club?

I don't understand how anyone can claim that we are unambitious?

Is it because we haven't immediately gone out and splashed the cash?

In your Catts thread you mentioned that 'we are making signings that, for me, are uninspiring and show a lack of determination to get us back into the championship at the first chance' and presumably you are referring to the fact that all of our signings to date have been free transfers.

But that's not how I interpret the situation.

What I see is a manager who has limited funds, so he has used his knowledge of the local market and acted quickly to pick up the players he knows from his previous job. Yes, they may be 'freebies' but that doesn't mean they have no ability, simply that in some cases they allowed their contracts to run down in order to negotiate new contracts elsewhere. Already he has acquired players without using any of his transfer kitty which means he may be able to push the boat out when negotiating for the one or two 'special' players who will make the difference.

I call that good management.

We are now a 1st division club - at least for the next 10 months - and we must accept the fact that the football will need to be effective and not necessarily attractive to get us promoted. We are now back to street fighting with no place for prima donnas and we must recruit players accordingly.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-06-30, 1:31 pm

Argus wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Some lovey words to explain our present situation, but I hope your enjoyment and enthusiasm for our current situation remains throughout the coming season.  Like you, I too want all that is best for our club, but what I fear for is the longer term future which I have outlined in the Catts thread before I saw this one, and I do not intend to repeat them except to add that how many youngsters will be attracted to join an unambitious club?

In your Catts thread you mentioned that 'we are making signings that, for me, are uninspiring and show a lack of determination to get us back into the championship at the first chance' and presumably you are referring to the fact that all of our signings to date have been free transfers.

What I see is a manager who has limited funds, so he has used his knowledge of the local market and acted quickly to pick up the players he knows from his previous job. Yes, they may be 'freebies' but that doesn't mean they have no ability, simply that in some cases they allowed their contracts to run down in order to negotiate new contracts elsewhere. Already he has acquired players without using any of his transfer kitty which means he may be able to push the boat out when negotiating for the one or two 'special' players who will make the difference.

We are now a 1st division club - at least for the next 10 months - and we must accept the fact that the football will need to be effective and not necessarily attractive to get us promoted. We are now back to street fighting with no place for prima donnas and we must recruit players accordingly.
Very well said Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-06-30, 10:24 pm

Argus wrote:

Argus, my efforts were never solely about "splashing the cash" now but addressed wider issues about the need to get back into the championship immediately by keeping our better players to do just that.  As things have recently developed Ross now tells us that the so called want away players are now willing to stay, obviously on their contracted wages.  Further, I am not against signing  freebie players who are used to 1st Div but reading the comments of Bury fans they are glad to see the back of him. The goalie wasa no brainer.

We supporters understand the passion we have for our club, but youngsters like Asoro who already has his admirers and are not from the area, do not have that affiliation and their longer term goal could be hampered if we do not get that promotion. He goes for a fee now or we lose him next year if he turns down a contract. 

Possibly I am over thinking things but football needs planning ahead as much as survival, and so long as we hang on to the more quality players I have no more points to make pre-season.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-07-01, 1:41 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Kipper wrote:

Oh cheer up. Th  players we are signing look good for this league and with our youngsters we will win this league. As we mov  on the squa  will b  replenish  as necessary. It's called a transfer window - something I think our new owner gets a bit more than Short. Be negative if you like. If you have no hope nowyou never will. There's  to be positive about  like like

Nos, you really need to get out more & stop reading & quoting Wikipedia. I'll let you into a world wide secret thats obviously missed you, ANYONE can edit the bloody thing!
Not quite sure what that comment was all about.  I mentioned Denis Smith as  a reminder of then and now as thirty years on the only circumstances that have changed is we have a new stadium that was as much achieved by Smith as well as Bob Murray.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum