SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Scatty Moo is very old
Today at 5:42 pm by Vincemac

» Players of Season so far
Today at 5:07 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions New Years Day
Today at 4:48 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Week 21
Today at 4:39 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Week 20
Today at 4:37 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Boxing Day
Today at 4:23 pm by barrowmackem

» Predictions Week 19
Today at 4:05 pm by barrowmackem

» OK, call me an old softy
Today at 3:40 pm by cyprussyd

» Moaniho sacked
Today at 1:42 pm by Sid MCFC

» League Table Week 18
Today at 12:55 pm by Vincemac

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Wahbi Khazri

Go down

Wahbi Khazri

Post  Kipper on 2018-06-11, 1:17 pm

Wahbi Khazri: the makeshift striker with Tunisia's hopes on his shoulders

He was booed out of Sunderland after failing to impress David Moyes but a move up front in France has revitalised his career
Majed Achek
Mon 11 Jun 2018 09.00 BST

              


In his last game for Sunderland, a 3-0 defeat by Barnsley, Wahbi Khazri was booed by his own team’s fans. He left on loan to Rennes, where supporters quickly took him to their hearts, and this summer travels to Russia as a player on whom his country depends heavily. If he fulfils the hopes invested in him he may yet give Sunderland fans cause to smile: the club to whom he is still tied could make a tidy profit from selling him if he has a successful World Cup.
In fairness to Sunderland fans, they did not chastise the forward because they thought he was a bad player. On the contrary, they wanted him to stay and booed him for expressing a desire to leave. But the reason Khazri wanted to leave was because he had hardly played the previous season under David Moyes in a Sunderland team that finished bottom of the Premier League.
“He didn’t trust me,” Khazri told L’Equipe earlier this year. “I wasn’t in his plans but the fact that we finished with 24 points tells you about him. He just did not like my style of play. I’m not saying that I would have changed the club on my own but I could have helped the team.”

Instead he helped Rennes. The Brittany team were second from bottom of Ligue 1 when he joined and had not won a match. In Khazri’s first appearance they triumphed 3-1 away to Marseille, Khazri topping an impressive performance with a backheeled goal. He continued that form all season to help Rennes achieve a remarkable fifth place finish. Remarkably, Khazri did that while playing out of position. Normally he operates on the wings but for Rennes he was asked to serve as a centre-forward. He did it so well that the club’s manager, Sabri Lamouchi, dubbed him ‘the Breton Cavani’.

“We know that playing centre-forward is not something that can last in the long term, but he does it so well, getting free, looking for solutions by himself and standing out,” said Lamouchi. “He has intelligence and mischief. Every time he touches the ball, something happens.”

Of course Khazri is not Breton. He was, in fact, born in Corsica and spent the first years of his career there, first at JS Ajaccio and then at Bastia. He represented France Under-17s and then, over the next few years, switched between playing for France and Tunisia at various youth levels. Eventually, in 2012, he pledged his international future to Tunisia, “the choice of my heart” and one that particularly pleased his football-loving father.
Wahbi Khazri left Sunderland for Rennes on loan but could yet generate his parent club a windfall should he shine at the World Cup. Photograph: Richard Sellers/PA
In 36 senior appearances for the Carthage Eagles he has scored 12 goals, a good return for a player who has played primarily on the wings. He has also created many goals and not just from set-pieces, although his precise deliveries are a potent weapon.


Already key, Khazri’s import to Tunisia increased when the team’s brightest star, Youssef Msanki, suffered a knee ligament injury in April that has forced him to sit out the World Cup. That – along with the injury to centre-forward Taha Yassine – helped to convince Tunisia manager Nabil Maâloul to emulate Rennes and use Khazri as a striker during the pre-World Cup warm-ups. Khazri responded by making the only goal of the game against Iran and scoring the winner against Costa Rica.

           


Against Costa Rica, however, he also revealed his down side: a short fuse. After rugged tackle from the Costa Rica defender Kendall Waston, Khazri lashed out and was fortunate to be shown only a yellow card. He was not so lucky in 2016, when he reacted to a bad tackle against Mauritania by punching the perpetrator, leading to a straight red.
“I think in a World Cup match he would have got a red card for kicking out at me like he did,” said Waston after the Costa Rica game. “In a friendly sometimes referees can leave it. People might look at that and think he could be wound up – and in football you have to take advantage of everything. When you know the type of player someone is, you try to do things that might make them crazy. England will see what happened and they will try to take advantage of it.”
If Khazri does not fall into traps, he could be a real nuisance to opponents at the World Cup, a treasure to Tunisia and the bringer of a small windfall to Sunderland.
avatar
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Posts : 1110
Join date : 2016-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  Billy D on 2018-06-11, 1:51 pm

f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.
avatar
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4288
Join date : 2013-06-26
Age : 51
Location : Tanfield Lea Stanley

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  Kipper on 2018-06-11, 3:08 pm

Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
avatar
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Posts : 1110
Join date : 2016-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 3:18 pm

Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47629
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  Billy D on 2018-06-11, 4:45 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.
Aye righto Norman.
Whatever you say must be right.
avatar
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4288
Join date : 2013-06-26
Age : 51
Location : Tanfield Lea Stanley

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 6:08 pm

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.
Aye righto Norman.
Whatever you say must be right.
No denials then Tommy

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47629
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  canary-dave on 2018-06-11, 6:13 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.
Aye righto Norman.
Whatever you say must be right.
No denials then Tommy

Perhaps Billy doesn't realise you don't get the full picture watching it on the telly  like

________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Posts : 14256
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 70
Location : Weston-super-Mare

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  Billy D on 2018-06-11, 6:38 pm

canary-dave wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.
Aye righto Norman.
Whatever you say must be right.
No denials then Tommy

Perhaps Billy doesn't realise you don't get the full picture watching it on the telly  like
Norman looks down on people like me who no longer go as he thinks he's superior.
How he judges away games is anyones guess.
Same way as I do I expect.
avatar
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 4288
Join date : 2013-06-26
Age : 51
Location : Tanfield Lea Stanley

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 6:47 pm

Billy D wrote:
canary-dave wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Billy D wrote:f*ck him.
Waste of f*cking space.

Well I hope he's not a waste of space in the world cup. I hope he does brilliantly, then his price will go up.
Doubt that Billy has ever seen him play.
Aye righto Norman.
Whatever you say must be right.
No denials then Tommy

Perhaps Billy doesn't realise you don't get the full picture watching it on the telly  like
Norman looks down on people like me who no longer go as he thinks he's superior.
How he judges away games is anyones guess.
Same way as I do I expect.
How little you know or understand Billy.

I dont look down on anyone and feel superior to knowone. I do however get annoyed when I read your comments about players with the throw away line of how shit they are, a waste of space because its a comment with no foundation.

I judge away games from commentary and importantly feed back from those who were there but please tell me how and why you think he is a waste of space.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47629
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-06-11, 8:33 pm

Well I can't remember him being booed off Shocked........and imo Moyes treat him like crap playing Januzaj (who never put in an ounce of effort) ahead of him ....Last thing I would say about him is he's a waste of space.....with him in the side I think we would have had a better chance of escaping relegation from the premier
avatar
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Posts : 2516
Join date : 2012-08-20
Age : 57
Location : washington

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 10:08 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Well I can't remember him being booed off Shocked........and imo Moyes treat him like crap playing Januzaj (who never put in an ounce of effort) ahead of him ....Last thing I would say about him is he's a waste of space.....with him in the side I think we would have had a better chance of escaping relegation from the premier
I think the booing when he came off was for Moyes for bringing him off.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 47629
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 70
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wahbi Khazri

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum