SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Christmas/birthday present idea
Today at 12:15 pm by canary-dave

» Twitter
Today at 12:14 pm by cyprussyd

» Transfer update from RR
Today at 11:34 am by cyprussyd

» There will be lots of disappointed fans
Today at 11:29 am by cyprussyd

» Strong Rodwell rumours
Today at 11:03 am by Billy D

» advice to anyone renewing or buying SC
Yesterday at 7:05 pm by cyprussyd

» Kone
Yesterday at 6:43 pm by cyprussyd

» Big Bad Dong.
Yesterday at 6:33 pm by Billy D

» Players coming in
Yesterday at 3:56 pm by cyprussyd

» More class and a must view from Chuck
Yesterday at 3:32 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 2 Bots

SAFA Mackem

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

RIP Stan

Go down

RIP Stan

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 11:30 am

A footballer who had the distinction of captaining the North East's three most prominent clubs has died aged 85.

Stan Anderson played for and captained Newcastle United, Sunderland and Middlesbrough in the 1950s and 60s. The Horden-born former wing-half also won two full international caps for England, and was part of the squad which travelled to the 1962 World Cup in Chile. After his playing days, he went on to manage Middlesbrough between 1966 and 1973. Newcastle United led the tributes to the popular ex-footballer. The club posted on Twitter: "We're saddened by the news that Stan Anderson, who had the distinction of captaining Newcastle United, Sunderland and Middlesbrough, has sadly passed away. "Our deepest condolences go to Stan’s family and his many friends both in and out of football." Stan started his career with Sunderland and spent the bulk of his career with the Black Cats. He spent 11 years with the club and made over 400 appearances before moving to Newcastle in November 1963. In his second season with the Magpies, he helped the club win the Second Division title, before seeing out his playing career with Middlesbrough, who he went on to manage. Stan's career in football management continued until 1981, taking in spells at AEK Athens, Queens Park Rangers, Doncaster Rovers and Bolton Wanderers. Newcastle confirmed that he passed away on Sunday.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Stan

Post  lesmac on 2018-06-11, 11:49 am

A stylish wing half (midfielder for the younger members) Stan was a good captain and served Sunderland well. Thank you Stan.
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fulwellend47 on 2018-06-11, 12:40 pm

A great player who set the standard for right halves at Sunderland post 1952. A great captain throughout his career and a thoroughly decent person when he signed my autograph book! (those were the days!)
fulwellend47
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  black fox on 2018-06-11, 12:55 pm

stan was one of my favourite players when I was a lot younger and used to go to matches with my dear old dad.

Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-06-11, 1:07 pm

Club historian Rob Mason pays tribute to one of Sunderland's greatest players...
Stan Anderson, one of Sunderland’s greatest ever footballers, has passed away at the age of 84.
Stan died at home in Doncaster on Sunday 10 June following a week where he had been hospitalized with chest pains.
‘’Stan was just a gentleman and a magnificent player,” said his former team-mate and club ambassador Jim Montgomery.
“I never heard him say a bad word about anybody. He was one of the best players I ever played with and he left Sunderland far too early.”
Monty, Victorian age goalkeeper Ted Doig and Len Ashurst are the only people to have made more appearances for Sunderland than the 447 games Anderson played for the club.
“I can see him now playing right to left diagonal balls for George Mulhall,” says Ashurst.
“That was his stock in trade. When I came into the team Stan was the captain and he nurtured me as well as Jim McNab and Cec Irwin, who debuted on the same day as me.”
He continued: “He brought us along so that we became players; he was a commanding captain who was a great player and liked a laugh.
“I was a great admirer of his and news of his death is tragic especially coming so soon after the other former players who have passed away recently, including George Mulhall.”
Stan Anderson was born in Horden in County Durham on 27 February 1934.
In 1949 he came to Sunderland as an amateur, signing as a professional on his 17th birthday in 1951 and debuting in October 1952 at Roker Park against Portsmouth.
A rare homegrown player in the era of the ‘Bank of England’ side of the fifties, Stan scored the first of his 35 Sunderland goals against Newcastle.
He played in two FA Cup semi-finals, but his greatest day came in 1961 when he capped a fabulous display with both goals in a famous FA Cup win over Arsenal, which watched by over 58,000.
Speaking to me for the book ‘Match of My Life’, Stan reflected on his 1963 departure for Newcastle United.
“Joe Harvey was desperate for me to sign for Newcastle and I was just as keen not to go.
“I knew there’d be trouble if I switched stripes and I was from a family of dyed in the wool red and whites – playing for the team I supported was always a privilege and a pleasure for me.”
He added: “I never wanted to leave Sunderland, but eventually Browny [Manager Alan Brown] bombed me out.”
After captaining Newcastle to promotion, he completed his north-east hat-trick by playing for Middesbrough who he later managed to promotion.
Anderson also managed AEK Athens, Doncaster Rovers and Bolton Wanderers where he was in charge of a young Peter Reid.
He also had spells as assistant manager with Manchester City and QPR.
The only Sunderland player to be capped by England during the 1960s, Stan had captained his country at under-23 level and also won an England B cap.
One of his two full England caps is on permanent display at the Stadium of Light.
Always naturally fit, Stan was still a keen golfer right up until this year.
“He would complete rounds in 77 or 78 shots, which was under his age and quite remarkable,” noted Montgomery.
As a player, Stan Anderson would without question be a member of Sunderland’s greatest post-war XI, as a gentleman he was also one of the best.
Stan always had time to talk and his life-time love of Sunderland invariably shone through.

SAFC have lost an all-time great, but one who will never be forgotten

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-06-11, 1:17 pm

Ohh very sad news. Before my time but the tributes to him from those that knew him and saw him play speak volumes. RIP Stan Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-06-11, 2:04 pm

RIP
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-06-11, 9:20 pm

Stan was a class act and fitted in perfectly with the "Team of All Talents" in the early '50s and as one of the few local lads he turned out to be one of our more reliable players. More importantly, as Monty said, he brought on our youngsters during our time in Div2.

IIRC he was part of NUFC and Boro promotion teams but had left us by 1964.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-06-11, 11:41 pm

A truly wonderful servant to our club who was forced to play his trade elsewhere due to the politics at the time. Even in his latter years he managed to keep his place in the team despite his understudy Martin Harvey, being a regular Irish international. A real class act who never got flustered on the pitch and a part of the best half back line we ever had. Just the sound of Anderson, Hurley, McNab brings back such wonderful memories. RIP Stan.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum