SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Predictions Week 8
Today at 2:00 pm by lesmac

» Fairweather fans
Today at 1:25 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 111
Today at 11:26 am by vinkel

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 8:24 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions
Yesterday at 4:54 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» No news is good news!
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by canary-dave

» RIP Kevin Beattie
Yesterday at 3:21 pm by Hieronymus

» Get well very soon Annette ..
Yesterday at 3:14 pm by Hieronymus

» MAJA
Yesterday at 2:57 pm by Hieronymus

» i walked past doctors surgery this morning
Yesterday at 2:55 pm by Hieronymus

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

This EFL scrutiny thing

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This EFL scrutiny thing

Post  vinkel on 2018-05-02, 9:13 am

Other than our takeover i can't imagine the efl being too busy. Deciding if matchday programmes have to be printed isnt such a big issue surely.

National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Re: This EFL scrutiny thing

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-02, 9:26 am

Are football authorities able do do anything quickly, they all seem to have one very slow moving gear.

You have to wonder if it's worth the effort because des[ite their fit and proper checks they have let some right cowboys in.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-02, 11:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  RTB on 2018-05-02, 8:49 pm

The test "thingy" sees any potential owner go through a series of stringent checks, including on their past business dealings and their level of future funding.
I've just done a quick search on how long this actually takes, given that Reading FC have just gone through a takeover involving some rich Chinese investors. These investors made an initial bid to takeover the club and then met with the EFL for approval in December 2016, they finally got their approval in April 2017 - that's a pretty slow gear.
Given that Stewart Donald has a solid business background, the checks should be a lot easier to perform for him but if there is a consortium involved surely there will be some level of due diligence needed for those people too.
RTB

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-02, 9:00 pm

If its anything like our transfer dealings it will take weeks then Donald will be injured at the first game he attends

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-05-02, 9:47 pm

My niggling fear is why Donald is a reported, recently opted-in front man for a foreign consortium.  I may be over thinking, or suspicious, about how he has arrived out of the blue and willing to abandon a project at Eastleigh that has taken tens of millions of his, or others, money and then be excited about resurrecting us.

I would not normally look a gift horse in the mouth but negotiations with the consortium must have been going on for months and I fear he is an acceptable person to represent them to the EFL.  The origins of the consortium is what has me wondering and ES's assurances that he would only sell to someone who has the best interests of all at the club would normally be enough but I just cannot keep that niggling doubt away. Especially when you add the speed of Coleman's dismissal. Hopefully there will be a simple explanation if the deal goes through but it could be a long summer.

I do not like being negative, but when something seems too good to be true.....................................

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-02, 10:29 pm

Nostalgic wrote:My niggling fear is why Donald is a reported, recently opted-in front man for a foreign consortium.  I may be over thinking, or suspicious, about how he has arrived out of the blue and willing to abandon a project at Eastleigh that has taken tens of millions of his, or others, money and then be excited about resurrecting us.

I would not normally look a gift horse in the mouth but negotiations with the consortium must have been going on for months and I fear he is an acceptable person to represent them to the EFL.  The origins of the consortium is what has me wondering and ES's assurances that he would only sell to someone who has the best interests of all at the club would normally be enough but I just cannot keep that niggling doubt away. Especially when you add the speed of Coleman's dismissal. Hopefully there will be a simple explanation if the deal goes through but it could be a long summer.

I do not like being negative, but when something seems too good to be true.....................................
and still you continue to want to put a downer  on things
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  lesmac on 2018-05-02, 10:31 pm

Nostalgic wrote:My niggling fear is why Donald is a reported, recently opted-in front man for a foreign consortium.  I may be over thinking, or suspicious, about how he has arrived out of the blue and willing to abandon a project at Eastleigh that has taken tens of millions of his, or others, money and then be excited about resurrecting us.

Like you Nos I'm concerned about the outcome of this bid. Why are the foreign investors not being named is one of my niggles. If Donald doesn't sell Eastlrigh FC will that prevent him from being involved with Sunderland. I do want to be a millions miles wrong but I'll not be  happy until the papers have all been vetted and signed and we have a new managers with some cash with which to start the rebuilding program.
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-02, 10:35 pm

lesmac wrote:

Like you Nos I'm concerned about the outcome of this bid. Why are the foreign investors not being named is one of my niggles. If Donald doesn't sell Eastlrigh FC will that prevent him from being involved with Sunderland. I do want to be a millions miles wrong but I'll not be  happy until the papers have all been vetted and signed and we have a new managers with some cash with which to start the rebuilding program.
We're in the first stage of something very positive happening. Don't expect to know evertbing all at once.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  black fox on 2018-05-02, 11:42 pm

hope they don't take too long over this scrutiny thing,im dying to know who they sign and who the new manager will be.

Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-03, 1:20 am

Well Noz and Les, you leave me almost speechless but just almost.

Everything I have read about Donald is positive to the point of making me almost burst, he is a millionair who has been successful at running football clubs, yes at a lower level but successful nonetheless, not the CV of a fool or con man I would suggest.

That for me is a very good starting point and a very positive one, he is not a makeweight in the deal, he was to start with but quickly saw the potential and increased his stake, well he did if we can believe him and I see no reason not to.

He has said very clearly that the investors will be named when the deal is complete, why not before, I neither know or care but it certainly does not worry me.

If its all a con we will soon know but TBH I am very very happy and see no point in worrying about anything until there is something to worry about, enjoy the minute, we have waited a long time for this moment.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-05-03, 1:50 am

cyprussyd wrote:Well Noz and Les, you leave me almost speechless but just almost.

Everything I have read about Donald is positive to the point of making me almost burst, he is a millionair who has been successful at running football clubs, yes at a lower level but successful nonetheless, not the CV of a fool or con man I would suggest.

That for me is a very good starting point and a very positive one, he is not a makeweight in the deal, he was to start with but quickly saw the potential and increased his stake, well he did if we can believe him and I see no reason not to.

He has said very clearly that the investors will be named when the deal is complete, why not before, I neither know or care but it certainly does not worry me.

If its all a con we will soon know but TBH I am very very happy and see no point in worrying about anything until there is something to worry about, enjoy the minute, we have waited a long time for this moment.
Speaking for myself Syd, I can only go back on what to what I have already said.  Donald may well be a good thing but the other ingredients cannot be ignored. He may be a man with a plan but a pre-condition is it does not include the current manager which would not normally happen until all done suggesting he has someone in mind to come with him. So far we only have good reports about Oxford and Eastleigh but they hardly compare to our potential.  Even with the current squad we have a capability to make a quick return if they are handled right. Bringing in a man with only League 1 experience may not suit us getting from the Championship quickly and it will be interesting to see how big he really plans.

I wasn't suggesting he was a makeweight in the deal but a front man for the bigger investors.  Elevating a man from non-league to hopefully Premier chairmanship indicates that investors are willing to put their faith in a man who could cost them tens of millions in the end.

It was enough to make my antenna twitch.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-05-03, 7:29 am

One week everyone is glad Short is gone and the next some think it's all a con Mad ........that's why we have EFL scrutiny.....chill and look forward to (hopefully) the re birth of the once great club we were Very Happy  a couple of week's and everything will become clear....patience!
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-05-03, 7:38 am

oldblackcat wrote:One week everyone is glad Short is gone and the next some think it's all a con Mad ........that's why we have EFL scrutiny.....chill and look forward to (hopefully) the re birth of the once great club we were Very Happy  a couple of week's and everything will become clear....patience!
Without wanting to be negative there are still a couple of things in the way.
Firstly if he can't sell Eastleigh then he can't take us over. A bit like selling your house but being in a chain.
Also if the consortium don't pass the scrutiny checks.
Will we still be stuck with Short if that happens?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2018-05-03, 7:57 am

I see at least 3 positives
1. Donald has already said he has 3 buyers for Eastleigh. I understand he is not asking for his $10 million back.
2. He has been successful with a non league club achieving a lot of plusses including the fan base and increasing attendances from hundreds to thousands.
3. He is from Oxford, my birthplace so he must be a great chap.
End of story.
oxfordshire
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-03, 8:24 am

Billy's point is fair about him being able to sell Eastleigh (or is it just that he has to relinquish control?). He must be fairly confident of doing so though. Let's hope it's quick.
As for all the other stuff, I intend to let others do the worrying, it's all just a waste of energy. Some people can find a downside to anything. As I've said before, I'm finding that really hard to do with Short and the debt gone.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-03, 8:50 am

Kipper wrote:Billy's point is fair about him being able to sell Eastleigh (or is it just that he has to relinquish control?). He must be fairly confident of doing so though. Let's hope it's quick.
As for all the other stuff, I intend to let others do the worrying, it's all just a waste of energy. Some people can find a downside to anything. As I've said before, I'm finding that really hard to do with Short and the debt gone.
Yes, yes and yes again, many things can and will go wrong over the coming season but I find it hard for anything to top the disaster we have just endured.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  paddocklad on 2018-05-03, 8:59 am

For me it’s all a plus short has gone/going as others have said worry about it until there’s something to worry about, it will all come out in the wash, the EFL need to do their du diligence first to make sure everything is right that in itself is comforting to know (in a way)

Don’t worry be happy
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-03, 9:33 am

paddocklad wrote:For me it’s all a plus short has gone/going as others have said worry about it until there’s something to worry about, it will all come out in the wash, the EFL need to do their du diligence first to make sure everything is right that in itself is comforting to know (in a way)

Don’t worry be happy
I feel a song coming on

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-03, 9:35 am

I think I have worked out why Noz and Les are concerned.

Both are very, very old and one lives on an island in some far flung place the other is surrounded by sheep and angry Scotts looking to rape and pillage. 

Most would be concerned under those circumstances.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-05-03, 11:18 am

Cheeky young pup, we have sheep as well as being cast adrift from the rest of the world, and the fellah over the valley plays the bagpipes.

But seriously I do see the good things that could happen if everything that can go right just does do that.  I only hope we get to appoint a manager experienced enough to set us alight quickly.  Remember when Gus hung on to money to sign some of his previous players from Brighton who turned out to be not good enough.

I am not a doom and gloom merchant but we do need a lift that might be some time coming.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-03, 11:51 am

Stewart Donald will be very hands-on...including with manager appointment

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUNDERLANDECHO.COM

Stewart Donald will be majority shareholder as duo emerge as managerial frontrunners

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-05-03, 2:05 pm

I am more than pleased that Short has gone.

It is a good think that a Brit is going to be Chairman.. who has had at least lower league experience 

If he is the majority shareholder does that mean he is putting in the most cash? This could be concerning.. whilst he undoubedly a wealthy man... he is no billionaire... are the bigger financial backers willing to take a back seat?

All will be revealed in due course? When MicMac got us promoted Murray was not wealthy enough to fund us in the Premier League... Jon stead to name but one
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2018-05-03, 2:45 pm

The northern echo and sunderland echo are erring on the quiet side on this takeover, do they not know anything or have they been told to keep shtum.

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-05-03, 2:54 pm

sunderpitt wrote:I am more than pleased that Short has gone.

It is a good think that a Brit is going to be Chairman.. who has had at least lower league experience 

If he is the majority shareholder does that mean he is putting in the most cash? This could be concerning.. whilst he undoubedly a wealthy man... he is no billionaire... are the bigger financial backers willing to take a back seat?

All will be revealed in due course? When MicMac got us promoted Murray was not wealthy enough to fund us in the Premier League... Jon stead to name but one
Sunders, I think it was more a case that Bob was not prepared to gamble the club's future and that's probably down to his background as an accountant - gambling is not high up on their agenda.

I recall when we sitting in the top 2 at Christmas and everyone knew we were playing way above our station but a couple of decent additions to the squad could have made all the difference to our final position (and perhaps shaped a better future for us), but Bob wouldn't support the manager and the rest is history.

Despite this he did leave us with a nice stadium!!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum